GDT: 2020 NHL Entry Draft - Day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
This draft is a A-/B+ Still pissed about trading up for Schneider and then the goalie in the 4th was an absolute waste as was the goalie in the 7th.

Not a bad draft and a couple really good value picks, but silly to trade up for Schneider; should've waited or gotten someone like Lapierre with the major boom potential.

Rangers still have a lot of moves to make. Lias trade and result was solid at least.

Lapierre has serious concussion issues. Odds are very slim he has a long NHL career.

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
Gunnarwolfe Fontaine was on the board
upload_2020-10-7_19-6-50.jpeg

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
A- draft.

I didn’t like the 3rd round pick or the troll job in the 7th. The goalie that they took at least looks like he’s pretty good.

They smashed the 5th round, Cuylle was a good pick in the 2nd and the first was obviously a grand slam with Laf. Schneider wasn’t my first choice, but he’s not a bad player and certainly not an off the board mcilrath clone.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
A- draft.

I didn’t like the 3rd round pick or the troll job in the 7th. The goalie that they took at least looks like he’s pretty good.

They smashed the 5th round, Cuylle was a good pick in the 2nd and the first was obviously a grand slam with Laf. Schneider wasn’t my first choice, but he’s not a bad player and certainly not an off the board mcilrath clone.

I agree with all of this.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
This draft is a A-/B+ Still pissed about trading up for Schneider and then the goalie in the 4th was an absolute waste as was the goalie in the 7th.

Not a bad draft and a couple really good value picks, but silly to trade up for Schneider; should've waited or gotten someone like Lapierre with the major boom potential.

Rangers still have a lot of moves to make. Lias trade and result was solid at least.

Garand is a good pickup and the Schneider trade up was a good move in hindsight. If he becomes anything like Trouba or Lindgren then it is a success. The Ollas pick is the only bad one, but it's a 7th so I'm not complaining. Rempe was an annoying pick, too, but I have more faith in that selection than Hugo's.

Reactions: Leetch3

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It also was apparently fixed.

Fixed being a somewhat subjective term.

You can fix a shoulder or even a knee.

Concussions, neck injuries or some combinations of the two are a little trickier. Kind of like back injuries, you kind of manage it more than fix it.

Some people had concerns with what the medical reports showed. Could be nothing. Could be something that is triggered in two years. Could be something that doesn't impact him until he's in his 30s.

Some teams were more comfortable with that possibility than others.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
San Jose took Timofey Spitserov...that’s a definite challenger.
Nobody will ever top Richard Nejezchleb.

I thought he was gonna be decent, actually. He's currently playing in the Polish league so f***in so much for that.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
B draft for me.

Lafreniere. Cmon.

the Schneider pick grew on me. I don’t love the player but I think it proved to be a good value.

Cuylle could be a really nice pick up

liked the forwards in the middle rounds. Tarnstrom and either Berard or Vierling could have switched rounds and I don’t think either would have been to say any of that was a reach.

can’t give an A because of spending two picks on goaltenders and wasting another pick on a guy who is just tall. The Rangers do some weird stuff in the late rounds. They have been taking nepotism guys and going off the board when they don’t have to be. Plenty of talent on the board.

I appreciate the strategy of going bigger, but theirs got way too meta at the end. And yes putting the blinders on did cost them some talent. That being said...Lafreniere. If he does what he is supposed to, not much else is going to matter here. Hoping for the best.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Fixed being a somewhat subjective term.

You can fix a shoulder or even a knee.

Concussions, neck injuries or some combinations of the two are a little trickier. Kind of like back injuries, you kind of manage it more than fix it.

Some people had concerns with what the medical reports showed. Could be nothing. Could be something that is triggered in two years. Could be something that doesn't impact him until he's in his 30s.

Some teams were more comfortable with that possibility than others.

The difference with a knee or a shoulder is you can see the definite impact. If you tear an ACL, you may never be the same player. The guy still has all the skill in the world, so it's not like the injury made him a less good player the way Marc Staal stopped being good after the eye injury kind of thing. It also happens to be a position of need. I'd rather bust at 19OA than 7OA. I feel it was a bit foolish. The potential was too high there. But it's more about Schneider and trading up for him and less about Lapierre specifically. It's the trading up thing that really frustrated me.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Magnusson goes to the Caps...

The goalie I wanted NYR to take, Devon Levi, goes to the Panthers...
So we could have taken 1 goalie in the 7th round, and gotten an equivalent player? Hmmmmm. Just saying folks.

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
Trading those 2 picks for Vierling looks like an even better move now since it seems like the Rangers would have just picked the 2 other tallest players available with them.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The difference with a knee or a shoulder is you can see the definite impact. If you tear an ACL, you may never be the same player. The guy still has all the skill in the world, so it's not like the injury made him a less good player the way Marc Staal stopped being good after the eye injury kind of thing. It also happens to be a position of need. I'd rather bust at 19OA than 7OA. I feel it was a bit foolish. The potential was too high there. But it's more about Schneider and trading up for him and less about Lapierre specifically. It's the trading up thing that really frustrated me.

The problem with any brain injury is that you are significantly more vulnerable to those injuries again.

And unlike an ACL where you're not quite the same, or not quite as fast, a brain injury impacts everything. It's a significant risk, especially when you consider the kid hasn'teven played pro hockey yet.

There were things I know that concerned them after reading the reports. And without the opportunity to have him examined by your people, that's a really big leap of faith.

I say that as someone who probably would've taken flyer. But I don't think not taking him as a tactical error either. I think it's reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad