2020 NHL Entry Draft 2 - 17th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Holloway is a horse. He hits everything and was one of if not the youngest player in ncaa last season. He plays heavy playoff style of hockey every game. Good two way center. If he was playing for the us program he would have been ranked much higher

Reactions: HawksDub89

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The knock on Holloway apart from the lower production than expected is the question of hischockey IQ.....lots cf guys check boxes on skating speed and physical play but if they lack hockey sense they just tool around with the puck as a power forward and not enough scoring results....ok..but can he okay C,and if so without hockeysense offensively you might end up with a physical shutdown roke guy at3C or4C but isctgatcworth takubgvasvhigh as#17 ...arecyou not supposed to grab topsix forward potential not bottoms role guys who just compliment...Surevhevcoukdvburstboutvthiscseason(if tgey even play) and showchevusctop 6 worthy...but he may never show that promosedvoffense to finish or create enough to be a top 6 guy..

So because Wexford not knowvIF he can beca shutdown /change the direction of play from our end to thend d difference-making defensive center but with much better hockey sense for playnaking and scoring creation then better to pick Marat Kushnutdinov who is that kind of botoom2 line C guy who can stymuexandctajectgebokaycwayvfromattackersxand transitjon thevotgercwaycand use his hockey sense tobsetbup pkaysctgatvresuktbin scores.

Yes you sacrifice size and physical prowess ..but I woujdcrather have a smaller C who is relentless,more consistent and also has better hockeyvsense for creating offense than Holowayvhasxshown from last season's work.

If Hollowayvcoukdcdobalk that Plus givevusxsixexand hitting g too well tgatcwoukd beca complete package...but I just did notcseevtgat from him.

You can arguevifvwe will see it in an improved season.. but may he never elevates to that level.

Just too many ifs for me on Holloway...

This is why my target hotb list for has others ahead of him. I am not sold on him.

My top 3 hot listvfor#17:

1 .Rodion Amirov...the only caveat with Amirov is the wait time to get him out of Russia...picking from tge WHL /OHL/QMJHL means our pick could help us quicker

2 Tristen Robins....
(I agree with Draft Dynasty'
shockingly rating hom at#17...because he
checks so many elite skills boxes plus give s
CONSISTENT work ethic ...elite shooter,playmaker,and hockey sense goiod skater ...if he werenot an early birth date perhaps more would rank him as first rounder material not as late 2nd or3rd rounder...You look at the videos and you see all that..you look at Holloway videos at Wisconsin and you do not see that much ,but this is of course now and scouts hope their is upside andtghat t that ceilingvwill eventually be achieved...all I know is that like l like what I see intehe Robins video analysis by Draft Dynasty ...
I still put Amirov ahead of him because the main scouting gurus agree in a consensus that Amiriv willbe a mid first round level pick ..and I do like much of what I see in his play of course plus he brings bigger size at 6'1 and will probably fill out to a 200 pounder ...

3.Marat Kushnutdinov ....again tge caveat with wait times to come over from Russia...but IF we wantvacoerfectcdifference-maker for turning a bottom 2 line into sonething special plus get a good pk guy ...then he fits the bill ...terrific skater ...terrific relentlesd pucknpursuit.../attackbdisruoter /can easily transitjon out hinself to take pucks and time in the d-zoneandcturn them to opportunity in the o-zone... I do notcsee him as a top 6 offense producer..butvhis playnaking is veryvgoidxsuchvtgatche willnot be a typical defense only botyom six checker ...hexwill not be that great a goal scorer because hjs shot is not special.. buthe can set up guys a lot better than your average d-role noitm six checkervtyoes...And of course who woukd not want such a relentkess hard worker infecting other with the same playy to win mentality by outworking the opps?
There is a lot to like if we took him at#17 because teams ahead of us grabbed Amiriv or Robins...

Now there is a chance we could get both Amirov at#17 AND Robins at#46....as I said...only Draft Dynasty dare out Robins that high as #17 on their rankings...so if we took Amirov in the 1st and then got Robins in the 2nd,to that would be great!
No way Kushnutdinov falls as low as#46 ...

Also we coukd get eother another late first or another 2nd (hopefully eary 2bd or at least in the40s ....

If we did get an early 2nd maybe Soecial K fals to that spot for us...or if we get more in a trade (eg a late first( tgen maybe Kushnutdinov is still on the board for that ...though I doubt Stan woukdcecerctakec2 Russians as ourc1st 2 picks...

I can see a 1-2 of Robibs+Special K ...but notcthecdaikyvdouble of Amirov and Special K....just being realistic.

So what trade brings back a late first?

Murphy or Saad?

Depends how desperate teams are for a 2nd pair RD ?
Toronto seems interested in Murphy but probably not at the exoensevif their#15 ...but if Toronto traded Andersen to Colorado for their 1st ,they could flip that pick to us for Murphy ...so if we got that done we could take Soecial K there if still on the board ...

Or maybe Ottawa would part with theirc3rd pick in round one for Murphy?
Or maybe tgeir #33 in tge early2nd toundplus a later pick?

Another possible deal is Saad to Coloradon for their 1st round pick...
They woukd brblookingvto beef up on the wing to handle Dallas better next seaso if meet in playoofs again decide and to go all in for it.

Colorado has plenty of cap soace for this season but probably woukd not extend additions made for this season to get over tge him but coujdcuse such "rentals"and kettle pending ufa who was a 1 season "rental" just walk after the Parade because tgeyvthen have so many extentions to make on current roster stars for the 2021/22 season.

Or maybe Florida is a destination for Saad and other assets?Florida wants to upgrade forwards portion of their roster...Hiw about Saad+Sikura+Nylander for tgeir 1stcrounder this draft?

They havec 4 ufa forwards and will not be extendin all or maybe any ofvthem ...so they need an infusion.

Just saying there are many tradevootionsctk getvusxeither anotger firstvor more 2nd rounders.. Stan needs to shed to get xal space and to open up spots for others...

Most likely tradeables are Saad/ or Murphy or both to get tge bestvoicksxwe can.. Maataxwill maybe bring a late 2nd ..butborobablynnot many teams want a 3rd pair LD ...

Though maybe he is part of some larger deal involving Murphy or Saad in a more complex package than just picks back?

Point is.. Stan shoukd be fired if he cannot turn players who must go to create cap room us tallow youth infusions we have coming.. Akso our vet RD Seabrook needs a spot...hecwill not bevon the bench for his cap cost /salary..So Murphy must go...if Mitchell is to get a proper role as RD in 1 of 3 pairs.
Tgey could keep both Matta and Dehaan ..but that blocks Kalynuk ,Carlsson,Beaudin and Regula .. so you would think Naata or Dehaan goes...probabl Matta..

Stan shoukdvgetvsome haul of extra firsts and 2bds for doing this.. butbit needs to be done.

I woukd nit be keeping Saad forc2 reasons:

1.Already at $6million ...not extending hom for more when his deal is up after this season...woukd be ridiculous.

Better we trade himnow if we can get a first back ,and if he goesctoba Cuo contenderxas act yr remtal.,we coukd slways hope to re-sihn hom at lower tgan he gets now if tge team we teade him tondoes not extend him and let's him go ufa after this season.
Trade him...get the pick(s).

I HOPEStan demans current year draft pucks and foes not settle for future draft picks.

So I hope we will have more tgan just #17 and#46 in the first 2 rounds of this draft.

It obviously coukd changeover draftibg stragy for these rounds.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Colorado is reportedly going all in for next season.

We should trade them Saad for the 25th overall pick (could probably get Jost as a throw-in).

Then we draft Amirov + Khusnutdinov.

Reactions: TheDachKnight

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017

We should trade them Saad for the 25th overall pick.

They won’t do that they are going to overpay for Taylor Hall and then will be unable to keep Landeskog. It’s gonna be hilarious. Hopefully we can get in on that.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014

We should trade them Saad for the 25th overall pick (could probably get Jost as a throw-in).

I’m so down for that. If we got Colangelo still, either by trading up from our 2nd or him falling to 46, I’d be absolutely thrilled with that draft. Then get Heineman with whichever 3rd we didn’t use to trade up.

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
I think we’ll be targeting a lot of bigger bodied prospects that play a solid two-way game. Colangelo fits this mold. Luke Tuch could be another target.

Holloway could very well be the pick at 17 and if he is, I hope we see some serious improvement from him on his puckhandling and shot selection. I think his skating can improve too, but it’s not a problem area. It’s good but not great. I’ve been pretty harsh on Holloway, but it’s not hard to see what people like in him. He’s got good size, plays a good two-way game, and he can skate while also being able to play all 3 forward spots. He wouldn’t be my choice at 17, but I wouldn’t be horribly upset if we took him there. He doesn’t have the highest ceiling, but he’s fairly safe and should make the NHL within a year or two. I think if Wisconsin plays this year, his sophomore season will be very telling on what type of prospect he is. I see a Tanner Pearson-like prospect at the moment but he’s still got time to improve his weaknesses.

The goal long term is a team like the Kings teams that won 2 Cups. Big and strong, tough to play against, and can play multiple styles.

I don’t see us taking a lot of guys under 5’11. Might mean no Marat/Bordeleau. Right now, I’d say Mercer would probably be very high on our draft board with Holloway likely being the back-up plan. I don’t think we target all-offense types like Perrault, either. Jarvis might not be a target either due to his size and tendency to cherry pick a bit. I’m interested to see what out draft looks like but I fully expect at least 3-4 guys 6’0 and over.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
I think we’ll be targeting a lot of bigger bodied prospects that play a solid two-way game. Colangelo fits this mold. Luke Tuch could be another target.

Holloway could very well be the pick at 17 and if he is, I hope we see some serious improvement from him on his puckhandling and shot selection. I think his skating can improve too, but it’s not a problem area. It’s good but not great. I’ve been pretty harsh on Holloway, but it’s not hard to see what people like in him. He’s got good size, plays a good two-way game, and he can skate while also being able to play all 3 forward spots. He wouldn’t be my choice at 17, but I wouldn’t be horribly upset if we took him there. He doesn’t have the highest ceiling, but he’s fairly safe and should make the NHL within a year or two. I think if Wisconsin plays this year, his sophomore season will be very telling on what type of prospect he is. I see a Tanner Pearson-like prospect at the moment but he’s still got time to improve his weaknesses.

The goal long term is a team like the Kings teams that won 2 Cups. Big and strong, tough to play against, and can play multiple styles.

I don’t see us taking a lot of guys under 5’11. Might mean no Marat/Bordeleau. Right now, I’d say Mercer would probably be very high on our draft board with Holloway likely being the back-up plan. I don’t think we target all-offense types like Perrault, either. Jarvis might not be a target either due to his size and tendency to cherry pick a bit. I’m interested to see what out draft looks like but I fully expect at least 3-4 guys 6’0 and over.

What makes you think like that? It's not what I got from Stan's exit interview. Certainly never been their MO either to target bigger players just for the sake of it.

Maybe one or two happens to be the pick but to say we will target them nd the goal is to have a big team.. I really don't think so knowing Stan.

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
What makes you think like that? It's not what I got from Stan's exit interview. Certainly never been their MO either to target bigger players just for the sake of it.

Maybe one or two happens to be the pick but to say we will target them nd the goal is to have a big team.. I really don't think so knowing Stan.

Looking at the draft last year and the players we’ve brought in. All of them are at least 5’11. I still think we go BPA but more of an emphasis on size and two-way game. Also, I thought I read something a while ago about Colliton wanting a Kings-like team.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Looking at the draft last year and the players we’ve brought in. All of them are at least 5’11. I still think we go BPA but more of an emphasis on size and two-way game. Also, I thought I read something a while ago about Colliton wanting a Kings-like team.

Yeah I know JC prefers a bigger style but based on how Stan talked about roster building and toughness in the exit interview.. I have a hard time seeing he changed his course. We could use bigger players for sure, and we need to get tougher I agree, but I don't think that's what Stan prioritizes.

I think last year was coincidence. This year could be too.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I just looked up Pronman's draft rankings and he has Colangelo at 26 FWIW.

Not that I think Pronman is all that great of a prospect evaluator, but he's what I have access to.

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
They won’t do that they are going to overpay for Taylor Hall and then will be unable to keep Landeskog. It’s gonna be hilarious. Hopefully we can get in on that.
I think Hall will take a huge discount to join the avs on a 1 yr contract. Makes sense in a number of ways - chance to win cup, have a productive year to bounce back from last year and not sign anything long term until the current Business situation is resolved.

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
Yeah I know JC prefers a bigger style but based on how Stan talked about roster building and toughness in the exit interview.. I have a hard time seeing he changed his course. We could use bigger players for sure, and we need to get tougher I agree, but I don't think that's what Stan prioritizes.

I think last year was coincidence. This year could be too.

I’m not saying big players just for the sake of big players, but I think that we’ll draft at least 3-4 players 6’0 or over. Mercer would be ideal at 17 if he falls. Then maybe trade up to get Colangelo.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
I’m not saying big players just for the sake of big players, but I think that we’ll draft at least 3-4 players 6’0 or over. Mercer would be ideal at 17 if he falls. Then maybe trade up to get Colangelo.

Let's see what happens. I'd love some players though who can stand up for their teammates and themselves, we got so few of those.

Pitter Patter

May 20, 2020
Let's see what happens. I'd love some players though who can stand up for their teammates and themselves, we got so few of those.
I'm hoping for some players who can put the puck in the net. We have so few of those, and that, you know, wins games and stuff.

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
If we could get someone like Alex Tuch, I think that would be huge for our roster. On each of the Cup winners, we had skilled power forwards like Byfuglien (when he played forward), Ladd, and Bickell.

Someone who’s a pest would be good too. We had guys like Shaw and Bolland who would get under the opponent’s skin and could turn the tide of the game in our favor.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If we could get someone like Alex Tuch, I think that would be huge for our roster. On each of the Cup winners, we had skilled power forwards like Byfuglien (when he played forward), Ladd, and Bickell.

Someone who’s a pest would be good too. We had guys like Shaw and Bolland who would get under the opponent’s skin and could turn the tide of the game in our favor.
Emil Heineman

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
Emil Heineman

If we got Colangelo and Heineman with our 2nd and one of our 3rds, I’d be ecstatic. Dream scenario is Mercer at 17, Colangelo at 46, and Heineman and maybe a D prospect like Mitchell Miller with our 3rds. Would also be cool with Evan Vierling if Miller isn’t there.

Reactions: clydesdale line

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
I'm hoping for some players who can put the puck in the net. We have so few of those, and that, you know, wins games and stuff.

Why the sass? Have we not seen what kind of small impact our perimeter scorers and softer players actually have when the going gets tougher? They're all guys that can score normally too.

This team could use more character and battle.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If we got Colangelo and Heineman with our 2nd and one of our 3rds, I’d be ecstatic. Dream scenario is Mercer at 17, Colangelo at 46, and Heineman and maybe a D prospect like Mitchell Miller with our 3rds. Would also be cool with Evan Vierling if Miller isn’t there.
Mitchell Miller is on the do not draft list now lol.

Eamon Powell would be a nice D prospect to pick up with a 3rd round pick. He's kinda like Ian Mitchell-lite.

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
Mitchell Miller is on the do not draft list now lol.

Eamon Powell would be a nice D prospect to pick up with a 3rd round pick. He's kinda like Ian Mitchell-lite.

Why is that? I admittedly haven’t watched him but the scouting reports and numbers look solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad