2020 NHL Entry Draft 2 - 17th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Who are your top 3-5 players that make for a typical Mark Kelley pick?
I've only done looks on guys I like: Khusnutdinov, Gunler, Mercer, Holloway, Wallinder.
Gunler is a huge wildcard as he could go anywhere from 12-25.
I hope Lundell makes it to the Hawks as it would allow for an easy decision on Strome. Doubt it. I liked Lundell at 9 if the Hawks would have lost to the Oil. I think he's going there anyway.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
From Powers article.

One name to keep an eye on at the draft is forward Sam Colangelo. The Blackhawks have conducted interviews with a number of draft candidates, but he is one they’ve talked to multiple times.

Colangelo is expected to be taken somewhere near the end of the first round of the draft. Would No. 17 overall be too early? Would he still be there when the Blackhawks draft in the second round at No. 46? If the Blackhawks are convinced he’s good enough, they should probably take him in the first round because he probably won’t be around otherwise.

Sam Colangelo at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:
Reactions: d rake

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Wonder if they trade down with a team like OTT at 28 where they can justify taking this kid a bit more easily and get OTT to put in one of their 3 2nd round picks, maybe Hawks throw in a 3rd from CGY to get the extra 2nd..OTT has a ton of picks, or maybe a team like Colorado moves up to 17 and Hawks can get a roster player like Jost or Compher from them to move back...no way they take him at 17 when they can move back to later in the 1st for extra assets

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Wonder if they trade down with a team like OTT at 28 where they can justify taking this kid a bit more easily and get OTT to put in one of their 3 2nd round picks, maybe Hawks throw in a 3rd from CGY to get the extra 2nd..OTT has a ton of picks, or maybe a team like Colorado moves up to 17 and Hawks can get a roster player like Jost or Compher from them to move back...no way they take him at 17 when they can move back to later in the 1st for extra assets

There will be many better options at 17. Trading down would be foolish, unless it’s like 2-3 spots.

I’m still hoping they can somehow move up.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I couldn't even justify Colangelo at 28 tbh.

For me late 2nd is where I'd think about grabbing him. I'm not going to be mad if the Hawks draft him at 46, but he certainly won't be my first choice.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Another intriguing prospect to draft after round one might be hige Centre Jack Finley of the Spokane Chiefs...Already huge at 6.5 207 and just turned 18 on Septemberc2nd,he is one of the youngest of the eligibles forvthis draft....Put up nearly a point a gane despite being not in a featured role....Reportedly a very good defensive player already but the knock on him is that skating must improve ...so there is some real debate on how high to rank him....often young players doing lesser roles in their cdraft year explode into greatness the season after the draft and can make a team drafting them look great for gambling so high where most ranked them much later ..So sone ranking organizations put him in the 4th round ..some in thec3rd round and only a few think he should go in rhe 2nd...Central Scouting has him ranked 38th best N A. player ...so depending on how many euros and goalies you think are better he could be thought of by some teans as a mid to late 2nd ....Bob McKenzie who uses actual NHL team scouts from 10 NHL clubs to get his rankings based on that kind of conensus among acrual NHL team scouts puts this kid the highest of any other rankibg I saw from a combined list...thatis xat #55...but it could be be that an NHL team about 8-10 spots ahead of #55 would gamble on that kid developing too greatness

It is hard in 2 ways to project:

1 Given he is a baby of this draft and has not even been given a top role
on his team yet,,you wonder what his ceiling reallycould become.

2. Often Big kids of very young age are stull unco-ordinated and have not grown into their frame yet with all parts performing in sync.
So again you project he be goes from raw project to something great...he was the 6th highest player taken in his WHL draft ...so should be a lot more talent showing as heroes his BIG body...

Anyway I wonder if the Hawks are thinking on taking a risk of drafting him at #46 because he could be gone before their first 3rd rounder..

If tgecHawks get another 2ndvoutvifctradibg one of our D vets (Matta or Murphyb or DeHahn) then maybe they use that ouck on hin?

All I am saying is that goven his very young draft age+big size already+ good defensive game already...the rest of his game and his offensive potential may be worth gambling on higher than where most have him ranked

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
A couple other guys to consider if we trade down are Brendan Brisson, Jacob Perreault, Emil Andrae, maybe even Ryan O’Rourke. There’s a few sneaky good C and D prospects in this draft. Anton Johanneson, A guy I like in the 3rd round is Evan Vierling. I think we have a chance to get some really good players in this draft. If we trade down with SJ for the Tampa 1st and their own 2nd, I’d love to see something like this:

1st- C Thomas Bordeleau

2nd (SJ)- RW Sam Colangelo

2nd (PIT)- G Drew Commesso

3rd- C Evan Vierling

3rd (CGY)- LW Emil Heineman

Not as familiar with the later rounds, but maybe someone falls. This draft gives us two Cs with legit top-6 upside, a really good power forward RW with top-6 upside, and a tough power forward LW who’s likely a 3rd liner but a very good one that can slot up in the line-up.

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
I think if the Hawks want a player that’s going to be NHL-ready sooner rather than later, Lukas Reichel is a better option than Dylan Holloway. He’s already playing in the DEL against men and was over a half a point per game, doing well in board battles despite being not as physically developed yet. He plays a solid two-way game from the looks of it. Also a pretty smart player. Could be a really good player once he physically matures.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think if the Hawks want a player that’s going to be NHL-ready sooner rather than later, Lukas Reichel is a better option than Dylan Holloway. He’s already playing in the DEL against men and was over a half a point per game, doing well in board battles despite being not as physically developed yet. He plays a solid two-way game from the looks of it. Also a pretty smart player. Could be a really good player once he physically matures.
I like Reichel but I think he's a complimentary player. Like if he's playing on a 1st line, he'll be the third best player on it.

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
I like Reichel but I think he's a complimentary player. Like if he's playing on a 1st line, he'll be the third best player on it.

That could well be, but I like his potential a lot more than a Holloway type. I also think he’s not far off from playing in the NHL.

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
He's at least 2 years out imo.

I’d say 1-2 years, which is closer than most prospects. Not saying he’d be my first choice, but he’s someone I like that I wouldn’t be upset if we took at 17. I think as he gets stronger, his game could definitely improve. I like the little things that he does, like getting in front of the goalie, battling hard for pucks, and playing solid defense. His shot is really good also.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Another intriguing prospect to draft after round one might be hige Centre Jack Finley of the Spokane Chiefs...Already huge at 6.5 207 and just turned 18 on Septemberc2nd,he is one of the youngest of the eligibles forvthis draft....Put up nearly a point a gane despite being not in a featured role....Reportedly a very good defensive player already but the knock on him is that skating must improve ...so there is some real debate on how high to rank him....often young players doing lesser roles in their cdraft year explode into greatness the season after the draft and can make a team drafting them look great for gambling so high where most ranked them much later ..So sone ranking organizations put him in the 4th round ..some in thec3rd round and only a few think he should go in rhe 2nd...Central Scouting has him ranked 38th best N A. player ...so depending on how many euros and goalies you think are better he could be thought of by some teans as a mid to late 2nd ....Bob McKenzie who uses actual NHL team scouts from 10 NHL clubs to get his rankings based on that kind of conensus among acrual NHL team scouts puts this kid the highest of any other rankibg I saw from a combined list...thatis xat #55...but it could be be that an NHL team about 8-10 spots ahead of #55 would gamble on that kid developing too greatness

It is hard in 2 ways to project:

1 Given he is a baby of this draft and has not even been given a top role
on his team yet,,you wonder what his ceiling reallycould become.

2. Often Big kids of very young age are stull unco-ordinated and have not grown into their frame yet with all parts performing in sync.
So again you project he be goes from raw project to something great...he was the 6th highest player taken in his WHL draft ...so should be a lot more talent showing as heroes his BIG body...

Anyway I wonder if the Hawks are thinking on taking a risk of drafting him at #46 because he could be gone before their first 3rd rounder..

If tgecHawks get another 2ndvoutvifctradibg one of our D vets (Matta or Murphyb or DeHahn) then maybe they use that ouck on hin?

All I am saying is that goven his very young draft age+big size already+ good defensive game already...the rest of his game and his offensive potential may be worth gambling on higher than where most have him ranked

Drafting a big uncoordinated kid who can’t skate, what could go wrong? I’m in!

Seriously though, poor skater with average skill, a big gamble. I like the size though. (That’s what she said)

Reactions: Giovi

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Strictly from a tools standpoint, Holloway is really really good. Skating, size, skill. The production wasn’t great, but it sounds like Wisconsin had some issues.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Read that Reichel had the 4th highest ppg total in history for a 17 year old in DEL...Another guy pegged to go late 1st that they can trade down to select and pick up another asset

Reactions: TheDachKnight

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Drafting a big uncoordinated kid who can’t skate, what could go wrong? I’m in!

Seriously though, poor skater with average skill, a big gamble. I like the size though. (That’s what she said)
Well said. The Hawks definitely don't need to get slower.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Strictly from a tools standpoint, Holloway is really really good. Skating, size, skill. The production wasn’t great, but it sounds like Wisconsin had some issues.

Could definitely see this being the pick and starting him off in Rockford to start the year but have a chance to make roster out of camp...

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
Read that Reichel had the 4th highest ppg total in history for a 17 year old in DEL...Another guy pegged to go late 1st that they can trade down to select and pick up another asset

I like him a lot. Does he have the highest ceiling in the draft? No. But he’s a safeish prospect who shouldn’t take terribly long to get to the NHL, does a lot of the little things most young players don’t do, and could very well see a significant uptick in production as he gets stronger. I think he’s got 1st line potential but is probably a really good 2nd line forward.

Last edited:

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
Also, I think Holloway’s skating is just good, not great. His puckhandling needs work, and his shot selection sucks. Could he improve? Absolutely. But he’s really low in my rankings. I see him as a late 1st round prospect. There’s at least 5-6 guys I’d take over him at 17. I think his ceiling is closer to Saad (2nd run with us). A 2nd/3rd line tweener who plays good defense and is a useful player but not a great scorer (40ish points).

I’ll probably go back and watch him some more but the last video I saw on him left a really sour taste in my mouth. He was very underwhelming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad