2020 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Not likely, but guess it depends on how teams view him. He had a very sad WJrs performance. I also like Commesino as a late second rounder or third round pick
I would rather take skaters in the first couple rounds. Having a touted goalie is nice but goalies can be so random I'd rather take one later on. Unless of course someone like Askarov or his skill falls to us...we're not in a position to say no.

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
We have gotten greater than league average goaltending since the coaching change. Has not helped in the standings.

My point is that St. Louis has a better goaltender in Binnington. Not sure how you can argue that

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
I’m not sure he’ll fall to us but Amirov looks like a high risk high reward type guy that we should probably look at. Can fly, has great hands and a good shot.

Also if Foudy is around in the 2nd round I would take him.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
This season they should do a playoff where every single team in the league regardless of record is eligible. Have a huge bracket system, one game series, let the best team take it all.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
This season they should do a playoff where every single team in the league regardless of record is eligible. Have a huge bracket system, one game series, let the best team take it all.

Come on, if the Sharks were in a comfortable playoff position you wouldn't be proposing this.

I would suggest something like this:

Jumble entire NHL into 30-team standings (eliminate Detroit)
Bottom 14 teams (by whatever criteria) in play 5-game series (1-2-1-1)
The winners in those matchups play teams ranked 10-16 in 5-game series
Remaining teams play in the typical playoff format

To maximize revenue, during the first two rungs one could have teams 1-9 playing each other to determine seeding.

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Come on, if the Sharks were in a comfortable playoff position you wouldn't be proposing this.

I would suggest something like this:

Jumble entire NHL into 30-team standings (eliminate Detroit)
Bottom 14 teams (by whatever criteria) in play 5-game series (1-2-1-1)
The winners in those matchups play teams ranked 10-16 in 5-game series
Remaining teams play in the typical playoff format

To maximize revenue, during the first two rungs one could have teams 1-9 playing each other to determine seeding.

The proposed 24 team playoff does not make sense either. Why 24 teams? There are 30 teams that still have a mathmatical chance at making the playoffs as of the cancellations. So the only fair choice would be a 30 team playoff like you said. Or keep it the same. Those are the only 2 fair options.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

He grew up watching Evander Kane. He has a signed Kane stick from a Giants' kids event years ago. He nearly tied Kane's rookie scoring record with the Giants.

Come on, DWjr. Dooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiittttt.....

:laugh:

(side note but I love that the piece constantly uses b-roll shots of Vancouver throughout the whole piece when the Giants don't f***ing play there anymore and haven't for 3 years now. Granted, b-roll of Langley would be the arena, equestrian centers, and greenhouses, so it wouldn't be terribly interesting :D

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

He grew up watching Evander Kane. He has a signed Kane stick from a Giants' kids event years ago. He nearly tied Kane's rookie scoring record with the Giants.

Come on, DWjr. Dooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiittttt.....

:laugh:

(side note but I love that the piece constantly uses b-roll shots of Vancouver throughout the whole piece when the Giants don't f***ing play there anymore and haven't for 3 years now. Granted, b-roll of Langley would be the arena, equestrian centers, and greenhouses, so it wouldn't be terribly interesting :D

I mean we should have the chance. Would be a bit early at late 20s but who knows

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
Mavrik Bourque, Peterka, Perrault, Mysak

If we were able to trade up for any of Zary, Holloway, Mercer or Jack Quinn I’d be ecstatic

EDIT: I also like Sourdif if we trade for an early 2nd. Seth Jarvis if he falls at all is a guy Id definitely trade up for as well.

Last edited:

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Ive recently really been liking the idea of the sharks trading up. Im pretty sure if we packaged the tampa first and our second we could get into the 15-17 range, maybe getting the vancouver pick from new jersey, and drafting someone whos fallen with some more pedigree like Holloway, Zary, Mercer or Sanderson.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
I think that would make sense in an average draft as quality is always better than quantity, however I feel as though this draft is quite deep. I’m not so certain that the difference between 15 and 30 is astronomical. Though mocks should be taken with a grain of salt, I’ve seen several that project players like Lapierre, Bourque, Amirov, Barron, Perreault ect. being available in the mid twenties to late first round. With two picks in the top 34 and the inevitability that some players will fall I think it’s very realistic we could end up with two first round talents. Given the lack of depth of top end talent in our pipeline I think it’s crucial we make both picks and it’s my personal preference we also select a player with Colorado’s second as well, though I’m a bit more flexible with that pick.

Reactions: Reggae Shark

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I think that would make sense in an average draft as quality is always better than quantity, however I feel as though this draft is quite deep. I’m not so certain that the difference between 15 and 30 is astronomical. Though mocks should be taken with a grain of salt, I’ve seen several that project players like Lapierre, Bourque, Amirov, Barron, Perreault ect. being available in the mid twenties to late first round. With two picks in the top 34 and the inevitability that some players will fall I think it’s very realistic we could end up with two first round talents. Given the lack of depth of top end talent in our pipeline I think it’s crucial we make both picks and it’s my personal preference we also select a player with Colorado’s second as well, though I’m a bit more flexible with that pick.
Fair enough, I guess end of the day it all depends on whos picked and whos around at our picks that the org likes. Doug loves to trade up and down lots so I could see either being a possibility. I do put some trust in Doug Jr though as his 2018 and 2019 drafts have impressed me so far.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
Fair enough, I guess end of the day it all depends on whos picked and whos around at our picks that the org likes. Doug loves to trade up and down lots so I could see either being a possibility. I do put some trust in Doug Jr though as his 2018 and 2019 drafts have impressed me so far.
I agree, if the scouts have a player that’s top ten on their board fall to 15-17 then absolutely trade up but if the top 15 goes more or less how they project then make both selections and run

Reactions: themelkman

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
But to my original point there is some serious talent at the back end of this draft. Guys like Foerster, Mysak, Chromiak, Peterka, Reichel could all be available in the late twenties/early thirties…I’m really excited about the draft this year.

Reactions: Reggae Shark
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad