Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Wonder if it'll be a who wants it less series?
Players could care less about the draft. Some of them are playing for their jobs and for money in the form of contracts/bonuses.

Ive always felt leary about the Flames facing the Jets, seems like the match from hell for the Flames. That said, I would definitely not be sad if they lost and the Flames drafted 1st overall.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Remember in 2004 when we actually cheered for the team to win (a much much worse team might I add) rather than cheer for losses. It was fun. We were first place last year, best team in 25 years, with mediocre goaltending. We were a top 5 or 6 team by point percentage since Ward took over. There is literally a win or a top 12 pick. Literally not a bad scenario. But we should tank when this is one of the few years we are actually in a competitive window. So hurt.

Some of you want to tank despite there is no negative outcome for trying, Just go become an Oilers fan why don’t you. Pathetic.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
If you guys won...

Brady Tkatchuk (4th in 2018)
NYI 1st (~17th)
OTT 2nd (33rd)

for

1st overall

Yay or Neigh?
Neigh. I like Brady but he's a lot closer to a Landeskog than a McKinnon or even a Rantanen. It would have to be the Sharks or your own pick included to get a conversation started

Reactions: KevinRedkey

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If you guys won...

NYI 1st (~17th)
OTT 2nd (33rd)

for

1st overall

Yay or Neigh?

Umm not even close. It’s Laf...

Would you trade Laf for M Tkachuk and our mid first? Doubt it and I would argue Matt has quite a bit more value than Brady currently.

I think you guys have a pretty good thing building and you’re probably going to be awful again next year. So I would just be patient.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
If we got Laf I wonder if Sabres would do a deal around Gaudreau and the #8 pick?

That would we mean we would be adding Lafreniere and one of -

Holtz
Rossi
Perfetti
Sanderson

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I don't want to ruin anyone's dreams of winning Laf, but I read somewhere that if the whole "playoff" thing can't go (very real chance) then we would no longer be in the running. Chicago/Arizona/Minny/WPG would be the 4 teams in the west, us just missing the cut.
That would just add another level of suck.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't want to ruin anyone's dreams of winning Laf, but I read somewhere that if the whole "playoff" thing can't go (very real chance) then we would no longer be in the running. Chicago/Arizona/Minny/WPG would be the 4 teams in the west, us just missing the cut.
That would just add another level of suck.

Unless I've missed something, the only source of concern about actually playing the playoffs has come from fan speculation, and likely has to do with a misunderstanding of what the NHL is doing.

They did not organize this because they thought there would be zero cases of COVID-19. They organized it because they felt they could manage it. Players have caught the virus while the league was still closed, so unless there is a massive breakout that shows a massively increased risk by playing with the current system, they won't be deterred.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Unless I've missed something, the only source of concern about actually playing the playoffs has come from fan speculation, and likely has to do with a misunderstanding of what the NHL is doing.

They did not organize this because they thought there would be zero cases of COVID-19. They organized it because they felt they could manage it. Players have caught the virus while the league was still closed, so unless there is a massive breakout that shows a massively increased risk by playing with the current system, they won't be deterred.
I'm pretty sure Bob McKenzie said that it would be based on the teams that would've missed the playoffs off of points percentage if the play-in's can't happen.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

They can "manage" all they want, but alot of this is beyond their control. The trends over the past few weeks has been troubling.
I think we have different ideas of what massive means...seems a little naive to think that there aren't a host of things that could bring it all down.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
If you guys won...

NYI 1st (~17th)
OTT 2nd (33rd)

for

1st overall

Yay or Neigh?

Nope. Swap the NYI pick for 3rd overall and Id look hard at it. And the only reason Id do that is because the Flames would be possibly getting a top line center at 3rd.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Brady Tkachuk + 3rd overall I'd have to do for Laf as much as it would pain me to lose Laf. If rumours are true and LA takes Stutzle it leaves us with Byfield.

M. Tkachuk - Byfield - Lindholm
B. Tkachuk - Monahan - xxx

going forward would be pretty pretty sweet. Easily the most hated team in with both Tkachuks.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Brady Tkachuk + 3rd overall I'd have to do for Laf as much as it would pain me to lose Laf. If rumours are true and LA takes Stutzle it leaves us with Byfield.

going forward would be pretty pretty sweet. Easily the most hated team in with both Tkachuks.

Yep we would dumb not to do that.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

You forgot Gaudreau, too.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010

I would honestly take Brady and 5th overall. Then pick Rossi.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Oh boy, taking an undersized centre who scores mostly against weaker competition instead of getting the real value of the 3rd overall pick. Why would we not push to get a blue-chip centre instead of another undersized forward? Do we want the sub 6 foot line with Gaudreau - Rossi - Mangiapane?

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space

Rossi has big bust potential from what I've read (which isn't much tbh).

As for losing the play-in...I could care less about how it goes honestly. We win, great. We're likely to get turbo smacked by St.Louis in round 2. We lose, cool 1/8 chance at Laf (though we'll probably pick 11th or some shit).

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Oh boy, taking an undersized centre who scores mostly against weaker competition instead of getting the real value of the 3rd overall pick. Why would we not push to get a blue-chip centre instead of another undersized forward? Do we want the sub 6 foot line with Gaudreau - Rossi - Mangiapane?

I'm reading that Rossi is a close comparable to Giroux.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad