Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Always lots of options, get excited about one guy then that gets tempered when excited about another guy...……….right now Peterka seems very intriguing...…...love the speed and there seems to be good hockey sense and hands there to go with that speed

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Always lots of options, get excited about one guy then that gets tempered when excited about another guy...……….right now Peterka seems very intriguing...…...love the speed and there seems to be good hockey sense and hands there to go with that speed

An undersized LS LW when 3 or 4 top 6 centres are still on the board.

Treliving, is that you?

Reactions: Flameshomer

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Zary/Mercer/Holloway could drop to us...I think they are a tier above Lapierre, Amirov, Jarvis, Bourque & Mysak

2nd rnd there's a bunch of big physical D that are highly touted I hope we can still grab: Wallinder, Grans, ROR...

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Drafting for position and or handedness is dumb guys. In two years (the earliest well see this player) Gaudreau might not be here, same with LHD with Gio. Pelletier isn't a sure thing at all.

Go BPA. I could definitely see a RHS winger or a center this year though.

Also why does everyone seem to like Holloway? Is it just that he's from Alberta? He's one of the oldest first year eligibles and he had mediocre production this season. Reminds of Ryan Poehling statistically and outside of his debut game that pick hasn't gone well for Montreal.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Drafting for position and or handedness is dumb guys. In two years (the earliest well see this player) Gaudreau might not be here, same with LHD with Gio. Pelletier isn't a sure thing at all.

Also why does everyone seem to like Holloway? Is it just that he's from Alberta? He's one of the oldest first year eligibles and he had mediocre production this season. Reminds of Ryan Poehling statistically and outside of his debut game that pick hasn't gone well for Montreal.

Unlike most on here I won't claim to watch these guys (especially the American & Euros)...just going off what the guys that actually do watch them say...Holloway has been ranked consistently 10-15 by pretty much everyone all year.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

I agree if there is a player that falls ie Perfetti who is clearly the BPA. But you don’t reach for an area where you literally have no room while you have weaknesses at RD and G and C and RW organizationally. We have enough depth organizationally where we can take some swings on players who have potential to become #1Cs or #1RWs. I don’t think we need another LW middle six guy... You are also forgetting Mangiapane, Dube and Tkachuk as well. I agree you go BPA but if it’s close you go with one of the Cs, D, RHSW or Askarov.

Reactions: Dack

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Unlike most on here I won't claim to watch these guys (especially the American & Euros)...just going off what the guys that actually do watch them say...Holloway has been ranked consistently 10-15 by pretty much everyone all year.

I know and I think it would be a mistake to take him there. He might turn out great but 0.5 points per game isn't anything special. Especially considering he played the entire year as an 18 year old.

The one interesting thing is that he did tear up the AJHL the year before but I just don't know.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I agree if there is a player that falls ie Perfetti who is clearly the BPA. But you don’t reach for an area where you literally have no room while you have weaknesses at RD and G and C and RW organizationally. We have enough depth organizationally where we can take some swings on players who have potential to become #1Cs or #1RWs. I don’t think we need another LW middle six guy... You are also forgetting Mangiapane, Dube and Tkachuk as well. I agree you go BPA but if it’s close you go with one of the Cs, D, RHSW or Askarov.

I'm talking about the Perfetti scenario no reaching for anything IMO just take the best player (Unless it's Askarov and someone else is close).

Taking a goalie with our first is a no go for me.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I know and I think it would be a mistake to take him there. He might turn out great but 0.5 points per game isn't anything special. Especially considering he played the entire year as an 18 year old.

The one interesting thing is that he did tear up the AJHL the year before but I just don't know.

I think most expect him to take a big jump next year (fingers crossed hockey is played). For me personally, I've always liked size & grit over soft small offensive guys...everyone says I'm outdated, but then playoffs roll around and its exactly what you need.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think most expect him to take a big jump next year (fingers crossed hockey is played). For me personally, I've always liked size & grit over soft small offensive guys...everyone says I'm outdated, but then playoffs roll around and its exactly what you need.

I like the kid. Hi numbers aren’t that impressive but apparently he really struggled at first but was tearing it up in the second half. Kinda what you would expect jumping from the AJ to Hockey East.

But from the tape he’s a great skater. Very low centre of gravity which I have always loved in a player. And he’s quite a beast from what I’ve read and he’s got the PIMs to back it up. Not sure if he’s a Tom Wilson or not but a draft eligible player pushing college dudes around is impressive.

I also keep seeing us listed at 16, but if 24 teams are making the playoffs, then we are actually tied with New York at 13. So you gotta think we are picking at 13 or 14.

It’s honestly an amazing position to be in.

1. Laf
2. Stutzle
3. Byfield
4. Drysdale
5. Holtz
6. Raymond
7. Rossi
8. Perfetti
9. Sanderson
10. Quinn
11. Askarov
12. Lundell

I think that’s pretty much the consensus top 12. I think one of those guys will be there at 14. But maybe I’m wrong.

Then I think you move into the:
Zary, Holloway, Perrault, Gunler, Mercer, Guhle, Jarvis, Bourque, Lapierre range.

If someone doesn’t fall we basically have the pick of the second group and you know a few of those guys are going to be gems.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Agree with pretty much all you wrote, except Perrault....I think he'll be late 1st if 1st at all...slip Amirov/Mysak in

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I think we should be looking for a Defenceman. Our window is closing pretty rapidly and I don't think our group can get it done. Start building for the future.

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
New hype reel for Anton Lundell :) enjoy guys

Let me know what you think! Lundell is one of my fav's from this draft but his most valuable plays fly under the radar.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I think we should be looking for a Defenceman. Our window is closing pretty rapidly and I don't think our group can get it done. Start building for the future.

That's what I thought 2 months ago (last page) I was hoping for Guhle/Wallinder...a big physical mobile Dman with skill....but I've been swayed to going F by Tkachuk Norris...I have to agree that we do need to hit another top 6 player...
We could still get the big Dman in the 2nd (ROR/Klevin/Jurmo/handful of Russians).

Bottom line I love guys that battle hard...I'd give up some skill for heart anyday...the puckhounds that win board battles are the guys I want to pick.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
OK, so I'm jealous of the teams that have a handful of picks in the first 2 rounds and it had me reminissing of 2013 when we had 3 1st rnd picks (6/22/28)...if that was this year, who'd you take?

For me: Perfetti, Guhle, Foerster

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
New Jack Quinn hype reel :) purest goal scorer in the draft IMO

Let me know what you guys think

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I think Quinn will be gone in that 11-13 range. He would be an unreal pickup, but I doubt it happens.

Personally, I really love Zary if he's available at our pick. He has speed, grit, skill, and high compete level.

Does anyone know how the draft format is going to work? Hypothetically, lets say Winnipeg bounces us out of the playoffs, are we picking top 10?

Reactions: Flameshomer

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I’m all in on a Lapierre. He’s my guy that’s not part of the consensus top group. He seems to be playing in second gear most of the time. Like juniour hockey is speed speed speed into space. But he’s one of those guys who looks like he’s out for a Sunday stroll. Not because he’s slow, but because he understands the space he has and how to use it. For me it’s a trademark of high hockey IQ and he looks to have it in spades. I think he’s a top pick if he’s healthy all season and if we can get a difference maker at C then let’s go!! Maybe he only becomes a Backlund type, but we need that with our group of young forwards who are more offended oriented.

I would love Quinn. RHS goal scorer are the two things we lack most. Don’t think he’ll be there though.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Lapierre might very well not play in the NHL. His injury issues have been severe and head traumas have a way of returning quickly.

If Zary falls I think he's the best choice, but I am also warming up to Jarvis. Holloway scares me as I have a feeling the flames brass doesnt want to get burned by another brayden point, but I don't see the offensive upside there. There's actually a reasonable chance someone we consider (i.e. Petreka, Chromiak) is available with our 2nd round pick too. Between 12-70 I have seen pretty much every player move around.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I think Quinn will be gone in that 11-13 range. He would be an unreal pickup, but I doubt it happens.

Personally, I really love Zary if he's available at our pick. He has speed, grit, skill, and high compete level.

Does anyone know how the draft format is going to work? Hypothetically, lets say Winnipeg bounces us out of the playoffs, are we picking top 10?

The teams eliminated from the play in series will be eligible for the lottery, from what I understand. I imagine lottery odds will be based on the points % of those 15 teams not included in the round of 16

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If we lose in the first round we can pick no lower than 12/13 depending on how they would decide ya and NYR.

We could potentially pick even lower if there are some upsets. As high as 8th I think.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Lapierre might very well not play in the NHL. His injury issues have been severe and head traumas have a way of returning quickly.

If Zary falls I think he's the best choice, but I am also warming up to Jarvis. Holloway scares me as I have a feeling the flames brass doesnt want to get burned by another brayden point, but I don't see the offensive upside there. There's actually a reasonable chance someone we consider (i.e. Petreka, Chromiak) is available with our 2nd round pick too. Between 12-70 I have seen pretty much every player move around.
Just further to my point, I have seen people pitch Mysak as our 1st rounder, and Pronman has him all the way down at 43: Pronman's 2020 NHL Draft Board: Top 122 prospects 12-60 seems pretty much interchangeable depending who you ask. If that is the case and no clear BPA exists, then you have to consider positional requirements.

He also has Anton Lundell falling to our range, which I would be ecstatic about.

Last edited:

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Just further to my point, I have seen people pitch Mysak as our 1st rounder, and Pronman has him all the way down at 43: Pronman's 2020 NHL Draft Board: Top 122 prospects 12-60 seems pretty much interchangeable depending who you ask. If that is the case and no clear BPA exists, then you have to consider positional requirements.

He also has Anton Lundell falling to our range, which I would be ecstatic about.

That's why I've never really bought the BPA thing everyone always preaches...BPA depends on who is talking.
Our BPA will differ greatly between fans, and teams scouts BPA will also differ. Remember when Feaster said they had Poirier as one of the top players in that draft? LOL.
Obviously if there is a clear case of someone being better than another, you don't pass him up for a certain position.
And I absolutely agree on what you're saying for those after mid 1st...it'll all depend on who saw what and how they belive this player will turn out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->