Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
If we are lucky enough to win the first, the only trade I entertain Ottawa is Brady + the SJ 1st (3rd overall). Still leaves Ottawa getting the 1st overall and the 5th overall which should set them up. I also think it would be worth it for them to get the franchise cornerstone canadian.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
If we are lucky enough to win the first, the only trade I entertain Ottawa is Brady + the SJ 1st (3rd overall). Still leaves Ottawa getting the 1st overall and the 5th overall which should set them up. I also think it would be worth it for them to get the franchise cornerstone canadian.

Could you imagine adding Brady & Byfield to our roster? I'd say that would help more than just Laf on his own.
Ahhh a fan can dream...

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Could you imagine adding Brady & Byfield to our roster? I'd say that would help more than just Laf on his own.
Ahhh a fan can dream...

Two gamebreakers over 1. I don't think anyone else in the draft has the game breaking potential that Laf and Byfield have. Brady has what Matt has, the skill to takeover a game, but the nastiness as well. A Tkachuk on each line? God daaaammmn

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Two gamebreakers over 1. I don't think anyone else in the draft has the game breaking potential that Laf and Byfield have. Brady has what Matt has, the skill to takeover a game, but the nastiness as well. A Tkachuk on each line? God daaaammmn

No way, put them on 1 line with Byfield in the middle and wear down the other team, then send Johnny/Mony/Lind out to take advantage :naughty:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The fans don't make the pick. If it was Oct, byfield 100% - but many teams now would take Stutz #2

Besides, like I said a fan can dream...and in my dream Byfield is there at #3!

There is a pretty significant, it might even be approaching half, of the scouting community that seems to think Stutzle should go #2, at this point. Honestly seems like there isn’t any consensus at all regarding Stutzle/Byfield.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I really like Stutzle as a player and I said I thought he was a top 5 player going back to when he was still ranked closer to 10 but I don't know if I can justify picking him over Byfield 2nd overall.

Byfield
- Center (I know Stutzle is too)
- 1.82 points per game
- August 19th birthday (3-4 weeks from being too young for this draft)
- 6'4 200 lbs

He had a bad WJC but people seem to forget that he was almost as young this season as Lafreniere was last season, even making the team at his age is impressive. He also carries his team, he has lead his team in scoring the last two years (including his draft -1 where he was 16 years old.)

In my opinion Byfield should have a better shot of going at one then being there at 3. I think he's got a good chance to be the best 2nd overall since Eichel.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I really like Stutzle as a player and I said I thought he was a top 5 player going back to when he was still ranked closer to 10 but I don't know if I can justify picking him over Byfield 2nd overall.

Byfield
- Center (I know Stutzle is too)
- 1.82 points per game
- August 19th birthday (3-4 weeks from being too young for this draft)
- 6'4 200 lbs

He had a bad WJC but people seem to forget that he was almost as young this season as Lafreniere was last season, even making the team at his age is impressive. He also carries his team, he has lead his team in scoring the last two years (including his draft -1 where he was 16 years old.)

In my opinion Byfield should have a better shot of going at one then being there at 3. I think he's got a good chance to be the best 2nd overall since Eichel.

The biggest knock I've read on Byfield is that his Hockey IQ might not be quite where you want it for a top 2 pick.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Byfield while big, is not a wrecking ball.

For a fanbase who want Byfield so bad and constantly shit on Monahan, Byfield is even softer than Monahan.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
I think if Monahan was as gifted offensively as Byfield, his "softness" would be excused a little bit more, like Kuznetsov, Petterson types.

Reactions: Dack

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think if Monahan was as gifted offensively as Byfield, his "softness" would be excused a little bit more, like Kuznetsov, Petterson types.

Monahan isn't a slouch offensively. The things he achieves with half a wrist and other injuries is kinda impressive. But that's kinda the problem and the confusion. Injury prone Sean Monohand isn't a good thing, but if he can be completely healthy for extended periods of time, what should we realistically expect from him? Angry Sean Monahan from earlier this season?

Ahhh a fan can dream...

Why stop there? Let's kick the dirt up a notch. Hanifin for Domi!

EDIT: The more I think about it though, if I'm dreaming... Melnyk really is a crazy guy, so rather than try and target Tkachuk which would be a shiny jewel, I'd be more interested in making the deal bigger and throw Hanifin + Kylington into the mix and pry out a guy like Chabot that maybe he doesn't value as highly.

Chabot, Valimaki and Anderson as our cornerstone d corps for the future would be interesting as hell. Especially if we're adding a top tier forward to our corps.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I really like Perfetti in this draft, but lets be honest, we'll be picking mid teens and we're going to have to like it. Jarvis, Zary, Mercer are all forwards I like in that range. Honestly not too crazy about the D in this first round other than Sanderson and Drysdale. Guhle might be alright.

Outside chance one of Quinn, Rossi, or Lundell falls to us.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Most of the players are considered "soft" these days... unless your name is Matthew Tkachuk.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Remember in 2004 when we actually cheered for the team to win (a much much worse team might I add) rather than cheer for losses. It was fun. We were first place last year, best team in 25 years, with mediocre goaltending. We were a top 5 or 6 team by point percentage since Ward took over. There is literally a win or a top 12 pick. Literally not a bad scenario. But we should tank when this is one of the few years we are actually in a competitive window. So hurt.

Some of you want to tank despite there is no negative outcome for trying, Just go become an Oilers fan why don’t you. Pathetic.

Agreed. While it would be great to have the first overall, cheering for a loss is pathetic. Same people cheering for loss and getting that loss will cry when we don’t get that first overall, then they will complain how we should blow it up.

The amount of people wanting to trade Johnny and Mony for magic beans on here is ridiculous. We’re getting a new arena, we have a young team... /rant

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Remember in 2004 when we actually cheered for the team to win (a much much worse team might I add) rather than cheer for losses. It was fun. We were first place last year, best team in 25 years, with mediocre goaltending. We were a top 5 or 6 team by point percentage since Ward took over. There is literally a win or a top 12 pick. Literally not a bad scenario. But we should tank when this is one of the few years we are actually in a competitive window. So hurt.

Some of you want to tank despite there is no negative outcome for trying, Just go become an Oilers fan why don’t you. Pathetic.
Nah don't tell me how to operate my fandom.
If they beat the Jets, hooray.
If they lose, I'll celebrate that too, and hopefully they get Lafreniere.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
The biggest knock I've read on Byfield is that his Hockey IQ might not be quite where you want it for a top 2 pick.

I disagree with that, someone posted in his prospect thread a comment by Pronman saying while it's not elite, it's very good. Also I think that's a very hard part of the game to qualify, Byfield has elite vision but he's not Gretzky or Crosby he seems to be more reactive and less planned. As of right now I don't see him as a guy who's going to struggle at the next level because of Hockey IQ, he has skills, speed, vision and he tops it off with his huge frame. He's already Sudbury's top PKer and he QBs their powerplay as well, I like Stutzle a lot but I'd find Byfield very hard to pass on if I were the Kings.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I’m really not super high on Byfield. I’d have him probably around 3-5. I get why people salivate over him - size, speed, production, position - it’s an intriguing package.

I just don’t see his game translating as well as you would hope. In the times I’ve watched him the biggest thing is he relies too much on his reach and less on moving his feet, I don’t think that’s an overly easy thing to fix when the hockey gets faster.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I disagree with that, someone posted in his prospect thread a comment by Pronman saying while it's not elite, it's very good. Also I think that's a very hard part of the game to qualify, Byfield has elite vision but he's not Gretzky or Crosby he seems to be more reactive and less planned. As of right now I don't see him as a guy who's going to struggle at the next level because of Hockey IQ, he has skills, speed, vision and he tops it off with his huge frame. He's already Sudbury's top PKer and he QBs their powerplay as well, I like Stutzle a lot but I'd find Byfield very hard to pass on if I were the Kings.

This is an interesting bit too because while yes his frame makes him a pretty exciting player, the guy plays more like he is 5' 8". That said he is still a kid so that can very much change.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think the Kings pick Byfield, with the hope that Kopitar can help Byfield out by teaching him to use his body against NHLers.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
What a year. Having a shot at a top pick will make not making the playoffs a little bit better. I just don't see how we can contend at this point, so making it and getting booted after round 1 kind seems like the worst of the two option to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad