Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Why overpay a mid pairing D in UFA instead of re-signing Vats? He should only be traded if he's unlikely to re-sign.

I like Vatanen. In a perfect situation I’d happily re-sign him and trade Severson. However, I’d be worried about his health long term, same as MarJo.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
He could potentially bring back a 1st. Would give us 3 in this draft. That’s ammo to retool if deals come up.

I didn’t want to say it but he absolutely would bring back a 1st. Imagine a team adding him for depth on D. He would do great in a bottom 4 roll on a deep team. Normally not a lot of quality defensemen are available at the trade deadline.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
I agree with you on Hall. Apparently others don't, though. Should have added the sarcasm smiley on that one. Hall should bring back a legit young top 4 D.

Smith will need time to grow into a solid player. We shouldn't be in a position to force him into top 4 minutes as a rookie.

Never count on signing UFA's as a solution. That rarely works out for big market teams. It's never worked for us.

Im very much hoping the Hall trade can set up a situation where ty Smith can play PP and bottom pair minutes at least at the beginning of next season. Im not a huge Will butcher guy but he can help at least eat some minutes to help that transition as well.

Reactions: Tretyak 20

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Lafreniere or Byfield ?
Actually hard choice to make . What would be the best player to help a team win ? I like Byfield’s combination of size skill and battle . Hard to not be take the guy putting up massive numbers but a stud complete player like Byfield would be deadly as well

Hockey news analysts have comparisons of Lafreniere - Stamkos and Byfield -Lindross ....
no way Byfield as psyically dominant as Lindross but not sure what style player I’d prefer

Last edited:

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Lafreniere or Byfield ?
Actually hard choice to make . What would be the best player to help a team win ? I like Byfield’s combination of size skill and battle . Hard to not be take the guy putting up massive numbers but a stud complete player like Byfield would be deadly as well

Hockey news analysts have comparisons of Lafreniere - Stamkos and Byfield -Lindross ....
no way Byfield as psyically dominant as Lindross but not sure what style player I’d prefer

I’d take Lafreniere. We had our cup runs when Lou had several French Canadians on the roster, so Lafreniere would be the start of a new era! :laugh:

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
anyone who has been following this team for the last few years should know how important goaltending is. that said, i wouldn’t use a first round pick on one, especially in the top 15

If it was a weak draft I’d very strongly consider drafting a goalie like Askarov in the 5-10 range. But this draft is very very good .
Also depends on who we take with our pick and where we pick with whatever we get for Hall .

For example if we get a Byfield with our pick , we get a d like Timmins from Hall trade , and there is zero D left at say 15 and Askorov is there ...
so many variables and uncertainties that you can’t say “ I’d never take a goalie in the first round “

Reactions: devilsblood

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I can't see Shero taking Askarov, the time to NHL is too long for a goaltender and he probably wants impact players ASAP.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
None of you have the patience for a goalie drafted in the first round.

It will take years for him to make hit he NHL and even longer to have sustained success. You will be demanding we dump him and find someone else long before he reaches his prime.

There is a reason goalies drafted high, when they actually have success, don’t find it with their draft team.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

It will take years for him to make hit he NHL and even longer to have sustained success. You will be demanding we dump him and find someone else long before he reaches his prime.

There is a reason goalies drafted high, when they actually have success, don’t find it with their draft team.

IM not insinuating you , but I don’t think people fully understand how much of a stud this kid is .
Think Carter Hart ( starter at 21? Years old ) but way better ....
Draft analysts are slotting him in the 5-10 spot and not hesitating while bringing up the fact GMs don’t usually take goalies this early but for this kid , that would make an exception .
That’s how highly touted and can’t miss he is .

I understand how much it would suck if he tanked but there is that risk with all players .
I’m not saying the devils should draft him , I’m saying that if the devils get a Byfield with their pick and Bryam from Hall trade and we have the 10-15 pick as well through trade ( doubtful if manage to get Bryam , but if we get a lesser D and a pick ) and if there is no stud forward or d at our pick , I wouldn’t be opposed to considering Asksrov .

Having said that , if there is a blue chip D or F at pour pick and we don’t get an amazing pick prior to , I would not want to use it on a goalie either .
Toss money at Holtby or Lehner as a UFA

Last edited:

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
the play that leads to the goal starting at 35 seconds...my god

PATHETIC that we're looking at this guy after just taking Hughes. Not on you Scottyk9, just completely frustrated with what is ongoing.

In the long run, this may just be a blip on the radar and getting another top pick, new coach, assets from Hall and others may be the best thing for the franchise, but it's hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel lately.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Don't know how far we want to go back here but

Hart
Vasilevsky
Price
MAF

If we weren't such a nightmare Blackwood might be on that list too.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I can't see Shero taking Askarov, the time to NHL is too long for a goaltender and he probably wants impact players ASAP.
a)Might depend on how many other high picks we have

b)Might indicate how secure he is in his job.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
PATHETIC that we're looking at this guy after just taking Hughes. Not on you Scottyk9, just completely frustrated with what is ongoing.

In the long run, this may just be a blip on the radar and getting another top pick, new coach, assets from Hall and others may be the best thing for the franchise, but it's hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel lately.

Yeah, I just can't even get excited for this one. 2 1OAs in 3 years have done nothing for this team.

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
if we were seeing some kind of progress with our young players it wouldn’t sting so bad :(

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Odds are we're not getting one of Byfield or Lafreniere even if we finish bottom 2. I'm hoping we get a crack at Drysdale.

Isn’t he another small defender? Maybe if the team moves on from Butcher and Greene and Vats it makes sense but Smith is also small and it may be time to find someone that can move the puck and players on the other team away from the net.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Odds are we're not getting one of Byfield or Lafreniere even if we finish bottom 2. I'm hoping we get a crack at Drysdale.

I'd probably just save Defense for the second first round pick that we are going to have. I have no issues with taking Raymond.

It's just not a really top heavy D draft, but there are a number of guys that make sense at the back end of the first more so than the top of the first. Maybe someone like Benning at that spot.

Reactions: Taylors lost step
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad