Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
A .954 this year? Why do so many Russian goalies have insane save % stats? Shestyorkin had like a 950 something last year. I feel like that can't quite be real.

With the huge rinks possibly a lot of shots come from extra far away and with little traffic? Possibly combined with liberal accounting of what is a shot?

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
He is only 5’ 10

I only want to draft or sign big goalies

The reason you need huge goalies today is this stupid new hybrid goaltending style where guys drop at every shot before they even see where it's going.

One of these days some GM is going to draft or sign a smaller goalie with talent who will succeed. Then people will remember that guys like Vanbiesbrouk, Irbe, Richter, Vernon, Osgood etc. were actually better than the Mongo Clone goalies of today, and the 6'7" goalie fad will end.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The reason you need huge goalies today is this stupid new hybrid goaltending style where guys drop at every shot before they even see where it's going.

One of these days some GM is going to draft or sign a smaller goalie with talent who will succeed. Then people will remember that guys like Vanbiesbrouk, Irbe, Richter, Vernon, Osgood etc. were actually better than the Mongo Clone goalies of today, and the 6'7" goalie fad will end.

They weren't even close to as good as today's goalies. They can't cover as much of the net and so they gave up more goals. They were certainly much more fun to watch, though.

Figgie

Apr 24, 2018
Finland
A .954 this year? Why do so many Russian goalies have insane save % stats? Shestyorkin had like a 950 something last year. I feel like that can't quite be real.

Many teams in KHL plays very defensive hockey so there is really hard to score goals.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Was just reading a mock draft which of course doesn’t take into account lottery results.

1. Laureniere
2. Byfield - Devils
3. Raymond
8. Drysdale - Rangers
9. Askarov - Columbus

23. William Wallinder - Coyotes pick
6’4” 195 LHD, MODO Sweden

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I haven’t really seen enough of Lafreniere but he seems to be neck and neck to Byfield.
Byfield is a better prospect than Jack Hughes.

Every prospect this year is better than every prospect last year. I hear it on these boards literally every year, regular as clockwork. The ONLY exception has been McDavid.

What I read from credible sources was that Lafreniere is very close to Kakko, and Kakko wasn't as good as Hughes.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Does anyone have any idea if Byfield is going to get regular minutes with Canada?

Every prospect this year is better than every prospect last year. I hear it on these boards literally every year, regular as clockwork. The ONLY exception has been McDavid.

What I read from credible sources was that Lafreniere is very close to Kakko, and Kakko wasn't as good as Hughes.

I'll say this much, he's 100% not generational. Some people are going a bit too far with that with Lafreniere. This tournament is going to be huge (at least for me).

Last edited:

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA

Except I have been watching both Hughes and Byfield since they were kids. I have watched Byfield probably 20 times as a minor Midget alone. Hughes probably 7-8 times at the same age.
I’ve been a Devil fan for over 30 years. I think Byfield is better than Hughes. Let’s keep in mind Byfield is almost a year younger than Lafreniere and that is a huge difference as well.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Except I have been watching both Hughes and Byfield since they were kids. I have watched Byfield probably 20 times as a minor Midget alone. Hughes probably 7-8 times at the same age.
I’ve been a Devil fan for over 30 years. I think Byfield is better than Hughes. Let’s keep in mind Byfield is almost a year younger than Lafreniere and that is a huge difference as well.

I look forward to seeing your posts in our upcoming @StevenToddIves draft threads :nod:

Reactions: Puckclektr

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Yeah it’s not wise to get caught in shiny new toy syndrome.

Reactions: Tretyak 20

135ace

Mar 18, 2015

They're very different players. I think Hughes is a bit more special, but I could see Byfield being better. Both are much better than Kakko. Honestly, almost anyone in the 2020 top 5 will be better than Kakko, who was frankly, a pretty weak 2OA pick.

Reactions: Devils Army

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
They're very different players. I think Hughes is a bit more special, but I could see Byfield being better. Both are much better than Kakko. Honestly, almost anyone in the 2020 top 5 will be better than Kakko, who was frankly, a pretty weak 2OA pick.

That weak 20A has same amount of points as Hughes right now. A bit too early to say he was a weak pick...

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
That weak 20A has same amount of points as Hughes right now. A bit too early to say he was a weak pick...
He will probably be a fine player, but he has been among the worst players in the NHL by many metrics and is having a very negative impact on games. Jack has been way better this season, not very close. Points shmoints.

Reactions: Unknown Caller

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He will probably be a fine player, but he has been among the worst players in the NHL by many metrics and is having a very negative impact on games. Jack has been way better this season, not very close. Points shmoints.
Kakko has not been good 5v5. Only 4 points, and some really bad possession #'s(though he has played a bunch with other guys who have also not been good possession wise).

But he's been very productive on the PP, which should not be discounted.

Don't like defending a rag, but I don't think it's accurate to say he's been way better then Jack.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Sorry, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Reactions: Darkauron

Beastdog75

C'mon Dougie, swat him he's a fly!
Dec 18, 2005
Brick, NJ
If the Devils do drop down to #5, what should they be looking at? I know Askarov is probably quite a reach at that spot. I heard the names Raymond and Perfetti being mentioned, or do we go for more defense and pick Drysdale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad