Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Was it though? I remember seeing and reading reports that Lundy was supposed to be a reliable defensive centerman. I don't think having him up a bit hurt him at all, unless he was projected to be a playmaking-center like in the Elite League in Sweden

From scouting profiles before the draft, Lundestrom was considered one of the most ready NHL prospects, but that doesn't necessarily mean you throw him in and expect him to be a mainstay. By pushing Lundestrom to the NHL at age 18, his ELC started then. If Lundestrom had a more natural progression, then he'd have stayed across the pond for two years (which this year is the second year). It was an unfortunate circumstance for Lundestrom as the Ducks were really in dire need of centers to start the 2018 season. What's more unfortunate is that he was so good defensively that he outlasted Terry, Steel, and Comtois at the beginning of the 2018-19 season, iirc. RC trusted Lundestrom's defensive play.

Lundestrom went from across the pond to the NHL level to the AHL level, then back across the pond, and finally finished by traversing back to NA ice for the AHL playoffs all within the end of one season to end of the next season. That's not great in development as it's a stop and go feel to it. If you look as his SHL stats in 2018-19 (regular and playoff season), then you'd see that offensive production have an uptick. I think Lundestrom may need a few more years on NA ice until we see an offensive production.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Unless one of them steps up in a big way I imagine they just pick Henrique if he's not protected. They're gonna get some quality defensemen from other teams but they're not gonna get much down the middle. Look at what Vegas had to pick from, it wasn't pretty.

I remember back when the Ducks and Panthers expansion got take turns picking 90% crap players, waiver level guys. Vegas and Seattle are so lucky, they get loaded roster and farm from day one. This will be Chicago's best opportunity to dump Seabrook, probably among the worst contracts in the NHL.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Sportingnews did a little mock draft and it has Ducks picking Byfield at 3rd and Peterka at 31st. In this scenario Stutzle went 2nd to LA, which would suck because I want to root for him but not for LA so that would be problematic for me. I still don't know how I would feel about Byfield, he has potential but I don't know if he has that elite skill that Ducks need, I don't want to take him because he is big and can skate. On the other hand he is versatile and very young, so there's a lot room for growth and I think he will be an useful player. Peterka is a type of player Ducks should take with their second first rounder, he has great offensive skills and could be amazing forward. It's very difficult to predict who is going to be available past 20th pick and I fully expect Ducks to pick a defender with one of their first rounders, so I'm not getting attached to any players.

Anyway, nothing too serious about that mock but it's just fun to speculate.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Sportingnews did a little mock draft and it has Ducks picking Byfield at 3rd and Peterka at 31st. In this scenario Stutzle went 2nd to LA, which would suck because I want to root for him but not for LA so that would be problematic for me. I still don't know how I would feel about Byfield, he has potential but I don't know if he has that elite skill that Ducks need, I don't want to take him because he is big and can skate. On the other hand he is versatile and very young, so there's a lot room for growth and I think he will be an useful player. Peterka is a type of player Ducks should take with their second first rounder, he has great offensive skills and could be amazing forward. It's very difficult to predict who is going to be available past 20th pick and I fully expect Ducks to pick a defender with one of their first rounders, so I'm not getting attached to any players.

Anyway, nothing too serious about that mock but it's just fun to speculate.
I just hope Byfield isn't Nolan Patrick all over again. If Byfield turns into a star and he's drafted by the Ducks then the Ducks future down the middle is quite great: Byfield, Zegras, Steel, Lundestrom.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Need to trade Rakell for a 3rd 1st rounder in this draft (among other pieces). Would love to get one of the top 5 forwards with our pick, a guy like Lapierre or Quinn with the Rakell pick, and either Schneider or Barron with the Boston pick.
If BM really wants to rebuild the right way, he would look at that option.

Getting 4 picks in the top 40.. could really set this team up going forward.

Adding a top forward prospect with our pick,
then finding a good RHD prospect with rakell trade pick(Schneider/grans/barron etc)… not to mention rakell likely gets a solid prospect along with that pick.
Then adding another forward prospect Peterneka, Perrault, Quinn
I really feel like Lapierre will fall into our laps with our 2nd round pick, if we want him

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
If we trade Rakell this summer it should be for an established goal scorer, an impact player. Rakell is a valuable asset with his contract and a quality player who appears to be wanting a change of scenery. In a well structured deal he can bring back an impact player from a team that needs to shed salary. I don't want to waste him on another "what if," even if it is a 1st.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
If we trade Rakell this summer it should be for an established goal scorer, an impact player. Rakell is a valuable asset with his contract and a quality player who appears to be wanting a change of scenery. In a well structured deal he can bring back an impact player from a team that needs to shed salary. I don't want to waste him on another "what if," even if it is a 1st.
If we're just making a lateral move for someone who costs more (because Rakell would be on pace for another 30-30 season if it weren't for his shooting percentage), I'd rather just keep Rakell. Lol.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
If we're just making a lateral move for someone who costs more (because Rakell would be on pace for another 30-30 season if it weren't for his shooting percentage), I'd rather just keep Rakell. Lol.
Well, I don't consider Nylander or Connor laterals - I consider them upgrades. If Rakell were matching his avg SH% this year he'd be at 19G (5 below Rico) and 41 points. He hasn't shot above 12% except in 1 year, the year he got 69 points, and hasn't broken 60 any other time. And he's on a downtrend since. Now such a move is of course dependent on whether or not management believes the new player would fit into the room - I don't know the answer to that. But either way, trading Rakell for more magic beans is just absurd.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Our only hope in a decent return is trading Rakell to a team that is ready to be aggressive for a turnaround. Ottawa is stacked in assets loaded with picks and prospects. They might want a proven guy in his prime to help their youth movement. They have lots of $ to extend him or they can trade him at the deadline and recoup any losses. I would be happy to get a guy like Formenton and two second round picks. Roll the dice with an unproven guy who is a speed demon and a few picks. BM wants to play faster and Formenton is one of the fastest forwards not playing in the NHL. Hes probably under guys like Bratherson, Norris, and Brown... and they have Pinto in queue and maybe Lafreniere....

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Toronto definitely will have to move one of their bigger contracts over the summer or at the very least during next year's campaign, as they are WAY too front-laden with their cap structure. They have 40.5 M locked up in the likes of Matthews (not gonna trade), Marner (not gonna trade), Tavares (not gonna trade) and Nylander (possibly being shopped around this summer). Their remaining roster showcases players like Alexander Kerfoot making 3.5M and Kasperi Kapanen making 3.2M, with each of them having multiple years left at that rate after this season.

They more than likely will not be able to fit in Tyson Barrie for an extension, so they could use more cap room for a proven player with some finish abilities.

It could very well be a possibility to see a trade around Rakell and Nylander, as that would shed 3M immediately while not losing much quality. That would enable them to spend some of their money for replacements on the back end, which is clearly their most important duty in the off-season.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Our only hope in a decent return is trading Rakell to a team that is ready to be aggressive for a turnaround. Ottawa is stacked in assets loaded with picks and prospects. They might want a proven guy in his prime to help their youth movement. They have lots of $ to extend him or they can trade him at the deadline and recoup any losses. I would be happy to get a guy like Formenton and two second round picks. Roll the dice with an unproven guy who is a speed demon and a few picks. BM wants to play faster and Formenton is one of the fastest forwards not playing in the NHL. Hes probably under guys like Bratherson, Norris, and Brown... and they have Pinto in queue and maybe Lafreniere....
6’2” and 165#...

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Toronto definitely will have to move one of their bigger contracts over the summer or at the very least during next year's campaign, as they are WAY too front-laden with their cap structure. They have 40.5 M locked up in the likes of Matthews (not gonna trade), Marner (not gonna trade), Tavares (not gonna trade) and Nylander (possibly being shopped around this summer). Their remaining roster showcases players like Alexander Kerfoot making 3.5M and Kasperi Kapanen making 3.2M, with each of them having multiple years left at that rate after this season.

They more than likely will not be able to fit in Tyson Barrie for an extension, so they could use more cap room for a proven player with some finish abilities.

It could very well be a possibility to see a trade around Rakell and Nylander, as that would shed 3M immediately while not losing much quality. That would enable them to spend some of their money for replacements on the back end, which is clearly their most important duty in the off-season.
I can't argue with your logic. But it would require Dubas to more or less admit going top heavy on forwards was a bad idea. He may not be willing to admit that yet if at all. Also, there is a boatload of talk that the leafs problem isn't talent but an apparent lack of commitment and consistency and playing as a team, every night. So, who knows where it all leads. But for sure this summer could make for some interesting activity.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site

I think we would be as well. I think outside of Lafreniere, we would want Drysdale and Stutzle. Many pundits think we want to go with Grans with the 2nd 1st round pick. If we miss, I would prefer going Russian for the first time in a long while (instead of Roni)... How about Marat Khusnutdinov? Whens the last time we drafted <6'0" players in the 1st round, let alone in one draft. Both would infuse a ton of skill and speed for us.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I think we would be as well. I think outside of Lafreniere, we would want Drysdale and Stutzle. Many pundits think we want to go with Grans with the 2nd 1st round pick. If we miss, I would prefer going Russian for the first time in a long while (instead of Roni)... How about Marat Khusnutdinov? Whens the last time we drafted <6'0" players in the 1st round, let alone in one draft. Both would infuse a ton of skill and speed for us.
Isn't he projected to be a late 2nd round pick right now? Maybe I'm missing something, but I haven't read anything to suggest he's close to being a 1st round pick at this point.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Isn't he projected to be a late 2nd round pick right now? Maybe I'm missing something, but I haven't read anything to suggest he's close to being a 1st round pick at this point.

I've only seen short clips of him but he's highly regarded. He could be like Kucherov, a talented player who grew from 5'9 to 5'11 playing in a weaker league in the MHL. There could be a possibility since viewers indicate that he is a puck hound like Kase, he's outstanding 2-way player who is dominant on faceoffs, can steal pucks very well, a shifty skater, and has great offensive tools and creativity. I wish I could see him in some full games. I think we need to gamble for some big time upside with that additional pick.

Also, if we don't aren't able to sign a 1st round player, isn't there some compensation given to the team, like a 2nd round pick? Maybe that could give us the insurance we need to finally pull the trigger on a Russian.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad