Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I was not impressed with Byfield at wj. I'd love to got a top pairing d. This team isnt going anywhere until we develop some d.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I was not impressed with Byfield at wj. I'd love to got a top pairing d. This team isnt going anywhere until we develop some d.
I`m really not convinced Drysdale is an answer to that.

Only two players -Lafreniere and Stutzle looked better than Byfield. And Byfield is very young for his draft age IIRC - a big guy who is only growing into his body. I understand there might be concerns for his performance there but all the aspects have to be understood/taken into account.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Not sure about Drysdale tho. He has Fowlers numbers in the OHL and is a lot smaller (therefore the comparison to Doughty seems way off). I`m worrying Drysdale might be hyped up because he is the one D in F heavy draft. Sort of like Haydn Fleaury was, maybe to a lesser extent.
But Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle is very often thrown around as a top trio in this draft and I would absolutely be happy to get our hands on one.
He is way better on defense then Fowler was

Reactions: Goose of Reason

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Not sure about Drysdale tho. He has Fowlers numbers in the OHL and is a lot smaller (therefore the comparison to Doughty seems way off). I`m worrying Drysdale might be hyped up because he is the one D in F heavy draft. Sort of like Haydn Fleaury was, maybe to a lesser extent.
But Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle is very often thrown around as a top trio in this draft and I would absolutely be happy to get our hands on one.

Context is important when comparing stats. Fowler played on a loaded Windsor team that had Taylor Hall, Henrique, Ryan Ellis and more. Drysdale is putting up the same numbers without nearly the same supporting cast. He's head and shoulders above anyone on his team in terms of prospect status, completely different circumstances.

Doughty was in a similar spot with Guelph, being far and away their top guy. Drysdale is putting up similar numbers, has the skating ability and smarts. Just not sure if he'll end up as physically strong, but the talent comparison isn't out of line - Drysdale is an elite talent deserving of a very high ranking. We got to see him head to head with Byram at xmas time (albeit small sample) and overall I'm more thoroughly impressed with Drysdale.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I was hoping for Lafreniere or Byfield (big center who can be mentored by Getz for a season), but the odds are really low and Byfield has questionable results in big games. Now I'm hoping for Stutzle or Drysdale but we need to pick no lower than 3 or 4.... Drysdale is really getting alot of hype and wouldnt surprise me if he went as high as #2 with all the success and impact we've seen with Makar, Hughs, Heiskanen...

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I’m really liking the idea of Stutzle as well. If we could get Stutzle and Barron we would have quite the young core. If we could get a guy like Raty in 2021 that’d be insane.

Comtois-Raty-Stutzle
Tracey-Zegras-Terry
Lundestrom-Steel-Heinen
Milano-Groulx-Jones

Reactions: robbieboy3686

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I’m really liking the idea of Stutzle as well. If we could get Stutzle and Barron we would have quite the young core. If we could get a guy like Raty in 2021 that’d be insane.

Comtois-Raty-Stutzle
Tracey-Zegras-Terry
Lundestrom-Steel-Heinen
Milano-Groulx-Jones

I'm not a fan of Barron. He seems like another Larsson. I'd rather we trade down for a few 2nd round picks if no one really high on Madden's list drops to us. Maybe we can go for a few home run type of players. One guy that's I never heard about until recently is Tyler Tullio. He looks like a Bruin/Lighting pick in that he's got good skill but a beast of a competitor. His footage looks like a potential Marchand. Not sure if any Duck fans here have heard of him that can chime in.

Using Draftsite, what do people think about any of players?

1 - D CAN Drysdale
1 - D SWE Grans / F GER Reichel
2 - F CAN Tullio / D CAN Cormier
3 - F CAN FINLEY / F USA Peterson
4 - W FIN Jarventie / F USA Shingoethe / F USA Biondi
5 - D CAN Bauer / D RUS Nikishin
6 - Goalie? / Basran?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

Comtois-Raty-Stutzle
Tracey-Zegras-Terry
Lundestrom-Steel-Heinen
Milano-Groulx-Jones
I might sound like Dirk but that lineup is going nowhere come playoff time. Need some muscle and size

But I`m all for going BPA, regardless of size. Overall lineup outlook can be managed afterwards

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Should be interesting draft... we should have at least 3 picks in top 35

Im excited.... i thought the kings had a great draft last year hopefully we can do something like they did.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I might sound like Dirk but that lineup is going nowhere come playoff time. Need some muscle and size

But I`m all for going BPA, regardless of size. Overall lineup outlook can be managed afterwards
Oh yeah, I didn’t mean that as an actual lineup, more so just showing how deep we’d be with young talent

Reactions: Kalv
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Adding grit is easier to acquire in the off-season with Free Agency or through trades. The last time we drafted someone with grit, he was the whipping boy for many posters on here (Ritchie)

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Size is more easily acquired than top end skill. Hopefully BM steps aside in the next couple years and people with real talent evaluating skills can put together a cohesive and balanced roster.

Losing Kesler and Eaves to injury while Perry's play dropped off a cliff hurt the progression of this team. There would be balance there if all three were healthy and producing. The youth group wouldn't have been pushed so much. Lundestrom would never had any NHL games under his belt today and would still be across the pond.

The youth are progressing, but very slowly. Bob is more frustrated at his top end core. He is relying on that top end core to be more disciplined and he is basing this off of his work as interim head coach. It really is an odd thing to see RC struggle, but Bob turn things around. Then the next year with Eakins, the team had fallen to RC levels, but in a different fashion.

Bob has been trying to find the right chemistry while three of his top-4 forwards were injured or stop producing. Remember we went with speed with Hagelin? It didn't work. We brought back Grant to pair up with Rowney and Shore, which eventually became Rowney and Deslauriers. We have grit where it's most usually found, in the fourth line. We need talent and discipline in the top-9 forwards.

LW Max Comtois is 6'2. He's had to dial down his aggressiveness in the juniors, but he's a scorer.
LW Max Jones is 6'1. He too had to dial down his aggressiveness in the juniors. Jones is a banger.
C BO Groulx is 6'2. He's a grinder with some offense.

C Zegras. 6'0. Top end skills.
LW Tracey. 6'0. Top end skills.
RW Terry. 6'1. Top end skills.

C Lundestrom. 6'0. Defensive guy.
C Janicke, 5'10. (Built like a tank.) Grinder with offense.

It's the defense that needs some building up in talent depth. Aside from Larsson, the Ducks have picked up Guhle, Djoos, and Axel via trades. LaCombe and Thrun were drafted last year.

IMO, this year was a sophomore slump for the kids with respect to Terry and Steel. Jones remains a similar player to his rookie year, lots of speed and lack of finish. Comtois had a rude awakening and needs more seasoning. Lundestrom... I just feel bad for the kid as his natural progress was shot when we threw him to the wolves in the NHL his draft year as an 18-year old. Our two defensemen in Larsson and Guhle have been a roller coaster ride, but Larsson's progress is akin to Terry's path such that both are better than AHL products and aren't NHL regulars just yet.

Now, we're getting two first round picks and regained a 4th round pick that we used to acquired Deslauriers for this draft. Hopefully, we're able to re-sign Grant this off-season. We've been in good hands with Bob for most of his tenure. We have a hiccup right now, but also have talent still coming up. Our top-3 defensemen are set for a while and could be a top-4 if we re-sign Gudz in two seasons. We also have prospect G Dostal in the long term, who is probably are most valued prospect b/c goalies steal games often.

I've seen what Burke did to our system. Murray is light-years ahead. I'd like it to remain so.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Lundestrom... I just feel bad for the kid as his natural progress was shot when we threw him to the wolves in the NHL his draft year as an 18-year old.

Was it though? I remember seeing and reading reports that Lundy was supposed to be a reliable defensive centerman. I don't think having him up a bit hurt him at all, unless he was projected to be a playmaking-center like in the Elite League in Sweden

Reactions: Masch78

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I worry that one of the reasons they drafted Lundestrom is that he's a high floor guy they thought could be in the NHL sooner as Center depth if Kesler was slow in his recovery at the time and develop Lundestrom in the AHL and have him be a call up when there is an injury.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Honestly, the idea that a player as young as him and with as little nhl experience even needs protection is absolutely stupid. The NHL is run by some absolute morons.
Well, that goes right back to the owners. When you charge somebody more than a half billion dollars for an expansion team you can't use expansion rules from 25 years ago. What did the Ducks buy in for $25M wasn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad