Prospect Info: 2020 NHL draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Yeah he does this weird thing with his right leg to propel himself forward rather than using both. Very strange style.

EE1W4UP.gif

8sSeIZT.gif

0dZZJNX.gif
He's one of my favorites in the bottom half of the projected first round. He's the reason I'm praying we get a first for Green. Maybe Winnipeg is in the bubble and bites on Green and we get a pick in the early 20's/late teens.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Byfield is scoring a bunch here, and he looks fast, but the actual goals themselves seem to be mostly tip ins rather than shooting. Is that the kind of player he is, or how is his actual shot, cause these goals don't show much of that.

The clips Claypool showed of Stranges really show how weird that thing he does with his foot, not sure I have seen that so pronounced before. He definitely has great speed and hands, though I get an AA feeling from him having seen more clips from last year, which isn't necessarily bad, but not sure if that is great either.

Christien

May 1, 2010
According to TSN, 31 Bold Predictions...

https://www.tsn.ca/31-bold-predictions-avalanche-will-hoist-the-stanley-cup-1.1375254

"11. DETROIT - #APrayerForLafreniere. The Red Wings will win the 2020 Draft Lottery and pick No. 1 overall for the second time (Joe Murphy, 1986) in the entry draft era. With Alexis Lafreniere, or any one of the six players chasing him for the top spot, that’s a major piece in Steve Yzerman’s rebuild puzzle."
Let's hope so. We could really use him

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yeah he does this weird thing with his right leg to propel himself forward rather than using both. Very strange style.

EE1W4UP.gif

8sSeIZT.gif

0dZZJNX.gif
He's skating sideways, you showed clips going in both directions, it's not about pushing with the right. It's more of a rollerskating thing, but I've seen it done on rollerblades as well.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He's skating sideways, you showed clips going in both directions, it's not about pushing with the right. It's more of a rollerskating thing, but I've seen it done on rollerblades as well.

I don't like it. One, he seems to slow down a bit but maybe that's just a trick of the eye. In the NHL, that will just cost him whatever space he has found for himself. Two, that looks like a messed up way of moving your hips and I'd worry about it causing damage over time.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't like it. One, he seems to slow down a bit but maybe that's just a trick of the eye. In the NHL, that will just cost him whatever space he has found for himself. Two, that looks like a messed up way of moving your hips and I'd worry about it causing damage over time.

Plus it seems sure to join the did you know Jeff Skinner was a figure skater world of annoyingly being pointed out by every broadcast of a game he is in. :laugh:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's inherently slower skating kinda like running sideways. Not sure it provides him any advantage at all.

He appears to be naturally flexible, so I'm not concerned about the hips (which rotates anyways because it's a ball and socket joint). I'd be more concerned that it exposes him to knee injuries if he gets hit while skating like that. The NHL doesn't afford as much time and space as juniors, he won't see it coming.

If he wants to figure skate and do triple Salchows during a shootout, that's fine with me. You can't get hit during the shootout. I don't like the move either in a game situation, I just posted to let you know what he was doing.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
With the 1st month of the season completed I thought I'd throw out some names that are likely to be outside of the 1st round on most rankings right now, but could be players that are interesting come draft day. Right now these are the Swedish based prospects that have had great starts to the year and could be risers if they sustain their level of play.

Calle Spaberg Olsen - He's currently playing in the SHL after picking up 9 points in 6 games in the Super Elit. He played his D-1 season in the Norway U21 league and was the top scoring U18 player in and finished 3rd in the league in scoring; his p/gp was also the 5th best in the league. He outscored his peers last year and he has continued to do so in a superior league. He also produced well at least years U18 D1A is an underager. He's got decent size as well so it well be interesting to see if he can continue his pace, if so he is going to be a surefire top 30 or 45 pick for me.

Zion Nybeck - He's an undersized forward who has plenty of skill and has had a great start to the Super Elit season. He's currently got 14 points in 9 games, the best for a U18 draft eligible player, and seems to be able to toy with level. He had a fantastic D-1 season, comparable to Raymond and Holtz, and he also played well at the U18. His small stature makes me think that he could be a prime target for our 2nd and would be an all upside style pick.

Emil Heineman - I'm not sure what to make of this player. He has never been a scorer at any previous level and his D-1 season was underwhelming to say the least. He is a late '01 so perhaps there was some sort of late growth spurt or some other reason for his lack of production, but his current stat line is eye catching to say the least. He's currently tied for the league lead with 16 points in 7 games, good for a 2.29 point per game. He's having by far the best "Draft Season" of anyone in the Super Elit thus far so if he can keep it up or at least finish in the 1.50 range he may be a great value pick in the later part of the draft.

Emil Andrae - This is another smaller player except this time it's a defenceman. He's currently over a point per game with 10 points in 9 games and he has produced similar totals at previous levels. The list of defenceman that have produced over a point/gp in their draft season or before is small and even if he falls to the 0.8-0.9 range he is still going to be around some excellent players. He's also played at the Hlinka and had a productive tournament. He's someone that I think can work his way into the top 20 if he continues his pace, but should he slow down he's another player we could target in the early 2nd round.

Other names to watch from Sweden are Anton Johannesson, Oskar Magnusson, Hugo Styf, Oscar Nilsson, and Lucas Ramberg. Of this bunch I think Johannesson, Magnusson, and Ramberg are the most intriguing, Ramberg has had 3 games at the SHL level thus far this season.

Last edited:

Christien

May 1, 2010
There's so many good options for us this draft. Obviously I really want Lafreniere or Byfield, but if we miss out there's players like Perfetti, Stutzle, Drysdale, Raymond etc. I'm really starting to grow on Stutzle, he's so damn good for his age...

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
There's so many good options for us this draft. Obviously I really want Lafreniere or Byfield, but if we miss out there's players like Perfetti, Stutzle, Drysdale, Raymond etc. I'm really starting to grow on Stutzle, he's so damn good for his age...

Have you seen Stutzle play? He’s always been intriguing conceptually, but it’s hard to actually get viewings of him

AttilaTheFun

Nov 18, 2018
Plus it seems sure to join the did you know Jeff Skinner was a figure skater world of annoyingly being pointed out by every broadcast of a game he is in. :laugh:

Maybe this is exactly what you were getting at but that's a good comparison because Skinner uses that same skating technique all the time:

Christien

May 1, 2010
Describe his game. How do you see his skill set fitting in the NHL?
Well it's hard to talk about the kid without mentioning his skating. He's a really really good skater with a lot of explosiveness. Pretty versatile too, as he can play center or wing. He just thinks the game at a really high level. He's got all the tools and the toolbox to be a first line guy in the NHL. I'm a fan.

This is a really good draft, lots of centers available for us to choose from :naughty:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Well it's hard to talk about the kid without mentioning his skating. He's a really really good skater with a lot of explosiveness. Pretty versatile too, as he can play center or wing. He just thinks the game at a really high level. He's got all the tools and the toolbox to be a first line guy in the NHL. I'm a fan.

This is a really good draft, lots of centers available for us to choose from :naughty:

I wonder if he is going to be a riser in this class like a Kotkaniemi or Seider. Just someone who took a while to come into the public eye and forces the issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad