Prospect Info: 2020 NHL draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Can't wait till we pick Lundell at 4 and everyone loses their minds :laugh:

I am not that passionate about anyone to where I only want them after Lafreniere or Byfield. But I haven’t been able to watch these kids as much this year. I’ve always liked Lundell and running Larkin/Lundell as a duo down the middle could work well with the talent we have at wing and then slot Veleno or Rasmussen in that 3 hole.

Reactions: GOZetterberg

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
just saying this here because the threads currently active = frk is in the ahl skill comp tonite . free on ahl.com , plus oh nhl and tsn channels

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Yzerman has chased bigger goalies traditionally when he hunts the position. I don't expect him to draft the smaller guys, I guess if the value became overwhelming.
Yeah that's fine I think he might be a late round pick. Not a guy who is in the top 90 or anything but still a worthwhile project if they took a 2nd goalie as he may still grow. He could go undrafted very easily and from there who knows. Could be next year's Daws.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Stutzle gets me so hyped. Hes going to have the impact that Kane, Kucherov, or Marner do. Drive so much play from the wing, absolutely elite offensive ability.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Stutzle gets me so hyped. Hes going to have the impact that Kane, Kucherov, or Marner do. Drive so much play from the wing, absolutely elite offensive ability.

Pronman does specify that a majority of scouts he talks to view him as "an NHL center due to his speed, skill, and ability to play off the puck."

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
Pronman does specify that a majority of scouts he talks to view him as "an NHL center due to his speed, skill, and ability to play off the puck."
I want Lafreniere badly, but I am beginning to become more and more comfortable picking in the top 4. Stutzle as a C would be huge if he could pull it off. Drafting one of Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle, or Raymond would be a dream.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I want Lafreniere badly, but I am beginning to become more and more comfortable picking in the top 4. Stutzle as a C would be huge if he could pull it off. Drafting one of Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle, or Raymond would be a dream.

I enjoy when new lists get released and I can get a refreshed idea on where things stand in certain circles. I have voiced my concerns about Stutzle being a center, and I stand by them to an extent, but it makes me wonder if I'm being overly questioning on his ability to transition well.

Another thing that this list in particular that jumps out to me is the rise of Rossi. I've always been impressed with his game, but I found that he falls a little short of the dynamic ability of someone like Raymond in terms of how incredibly dangerous he is with the puck on his stick, both in creating for himself and creating for his linemates. That being said, Raymond might be the best in the draft class in those terms, so I may have an unfair standard I am holding others to.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I enjoy when new lists get released and I can get a refreshed idea on where things stand in certain circles. I have voiced my concerns about Stutzle being a center, and I stand by them to an extent, but it makes me wonder if I'm being overly questioning on his ability to transition well.

Another thing that this list in particular that jumps out to me is the rise of Rossi. I've always been impressed with his game, but I found that he falls a little short of the dynamic ability of someone like Raymond in terms of how incredibly dangerous he is with the puck on his stick, both in creating for himself and creating for his linemates. That being said, Raymond might be the best in the draft class in those terms, so I may have an unfair standard I am holding others to.

My concern with Rossi is how much of his game is predicated on holding onto the puck and setting up down low in the zone. I know he is built pretty solid for being a smaller guy, but I have questions on how well that type of game will translate when you are not a plus skater and you don't have much as far as reach is concerned.

It's interesting how many people in his top 10-15 he labeled as average skaters (something I've thought too). I wonder if that will push teams towards Stutzle and Drysdale on draft day even more.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
My concern with Rossi is how much of his game is predicated on holding onto the puck and setting up down low in the zone. I know he is built pretty solid for being a smaller guy, but I have questions on how well that type of game will translate when you are not a plus skater and you don't have much as far as reach is concerned.

It's interesting how many people in his top 10-15 he labeled as average skaters (something I've thought too). I wonder if that will push teams towards Stutzle and Drysdale on draft day even more.

The skating thing has always been a sticking point with scouting reports in my mind.

Lafreniere - skating has improved to where there is no noticeable weakness in his game
Byfield - very good skater
Stutzle - very good skater
Rossi - skating is very good. not the quickest small player, but powerful stride
Holtz - skating is above average
Raymond - average foot speed given his size
Drysdale - one of the best skaters in the draft
Perfetti - just fine skating. lacks explosive speed

The analysis feels sparce and the words just feel lazily chosen. There are quite a few ways to break down the skating tool in players, from mechanics, to acceleration/explosiveness, to top end speed (which I think pairs with the ability to being able to play at that speed; eg. McDavid vs Helm), and of course the agility and edge work. I don't think that Perfetti will ever be in the fastest skater competition, but his edges are very strong and lend themselves very well to the game he plays. I have never watched Raymond skate and viewed his speed as "average" and that absolutely is not the word I would choose for his complete skating tool. I have definitely not seen much of any difference between his skating and Rossi's. Again, the wording seems weird...to describe Rossi's skating using the same "category" as what was chosen for Byfield and Stutzle.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The skating thing has always been a sticking point with scouting reports in my mind.

Lafreniere - skating has improved to where there is no noticeable weakness in his game
Byfield - very good skater
Stutzle - very good skater
Rossi - skating is very good. not the quickest small player, but powerful stride
Holtz - skating is above average
Raymond - average foot speed given his size
Drysdale - one of the best skaters in the draft
Perfetti - just fine skating. lacks explosive speed

The analysis feels sparce and the words just feel lazily chosen. There are quite a few ways to break down the skating tool in players, from mechanics, to acceleration/explosiveness, to top end speed (which I think pairs with the ability to being able to play at that speed; eg. McDavid vs Helm), and of course the agility and edge work. I don't think that Perfetti will ever be in the fastest skater competition, but his edges are very strong and lend themselves very well to the game he plays. I have never watched Raymond skate and viewed his speed as "average" and that absolutely is not the word I would choose for his complete skating tool. I have definitely not seen much of any difference between his skating and Rossi's. Again, the wording seems weird...to describe Rossi's skating using the same "category" as what was chosen for Byfield and Stutzle.

I thought he was kind of contradictory in how he talked about Rossi's skating, but personally I think it is kind of average and something I wished was better.

I also think some of this is talking about how their skating projects vs NHLers, not just against their current competition. So yeah, I watch Raymond and think the same thing... but the NHL is played at a different speed.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Pushing Centers up...

...probably a good guess what will happen on the real draft day.

It's weird that he fades Drysdale at the same time. A high IQ, right handed, "one of the best skaters in the draft" defenseman is moving closer to 10 than he is to 5? That's a questionable thought.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
It's weird that he fades Drysdale at the same time. A high IQ, right handed, "one of the best skaters in the draft" defenseman is moving closer to 10 than he is to 5? That's a questionable thought.
I am confused by how a lot of draft rankings are approaching him as well. I keep seeing people projecting him to be the next Makar or Elias Pettersson. Now I haven’t really watched him and I never watched either of those guys a juniors, but if that were true he should be the consensus #4. At least in my mind that would be the case. Is there some forward bias going on? Or something else?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I am confused by how a lot of draft rankings are approaching him as well. I keep seeing people projecting him to be the next Makar or Elias Pettersson. Now I haven’t really watched him and I never watched either of those guys a juniors, but if that were true he should be the consensus #4. At least in my mind that would be the case. Is there some forward bias going on? Or something else?

There is no good reason he is not top 5 on every list... IMO

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

I don't think there's forward bias necessarily. Center bias, perhaps.

Maybe he is holding it against Drysdale that his game is more "traditional" than the 4th forward rover type of defensemen like Makar or Hughes. I believe he was also among the community that had Merkley ranked as a top 3 or 5 talent in his class, but knocked him down due to the attitude concerns. Pronman has an affinity for the electric, super high skill prospects; he has said that he values superstar qualities, and players who play a more "humble" game seem to get faded. I think that is most likely what we are seeing in this instance.

Reactions: newfy

GOZetterberg

Dec 10, 2019
How would you guys rate Stutzle's shot? He seems to possess elite skating and playmaking abilities (good motor too). His shot, though, seems pretty average from my limited viewings of him.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I don't think there's forward bias necessarily. Center bias, perhaps.

Maybe he is holding it against Drysdale that his game is more "traditional" than the 4th forward rover type of defensemen like Makar or Hughes. I believe he was also among the community that had Merkley ranked as a top 3 or 5 talent in his class, but knocked him down due to the attitude concerns. Pronman has an affinity for the electric, super high skill prospects; he has said that he values superstar qualities, and players who play a more "humble" game seem to get faded. I think that is most likely what we are seeing in this instance.

I think this is whats going on. Drysdale isnt really all that dynamic offensively and nowadays if a guy isnt out there skating circles around the offensive zone and dangling through everyone theyre not considered to have high end offense. I do think Drysdale's offense isnt necessarily at an elite level and could see why people have him a little lower. But I think when he gets to the NHL hes effective at moving he puck and has offense. He doesnt play like Hughes or Makar offensively but I think hes ahead in the defensive zone as well

How would you guys rate Stutzle's shot? He seems to possess elite skating and playmaking abilities (good motor too). His shot, though, seems pretty average from my limited viewings of him.

I guess that would be one of the main things he probably needs to work on. If he had an elite shot/goal scoring aspect to his game he would be competing with Lafreniere. But hearing a lot of scouts thinking hes a center at the next level is awesome, its one of the things I've been worried about.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Hen that is just Pronman being Pronman. He likes flashy plays with the puck that jump out at you. I have never gotten the impression that he assigns that much value to players who consistently read plays correctly and make the correct decision with the puck regardless of degree of difficulty.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hen that is just Pronman being Pronman. He likes flashy plays with the puck that jump out at you. I have never gotten the impression that he assigns that much value to players who consistently read plays correctly and make the correct decision with the puck regardless of degree of difficulty.

Considering he has Lundell at #16... definitely not.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
concerning goalie . sign the 28 year old lehner for 5 years to get ship righted and in the mean time keep looking to draft a goalie with 2nd / 3rd round picks while lehners holding the fort down and getting us back to respectable and maybe beyond if we can pick off a star ufa dman .

I do wonder if Lehner would even consider Detroit. When he was interviewed about the signing process, he mention 1 or 2 teams were really hard on him or didn't seem sympathetic or something to that effect, and there I think was some rumblings that Detroit may have been one of those teams. I know there is a new regime in place now, but he may be soured on whatever teams were the ones he didn't enjoy interviewing with.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Oh no, I know and agree with this. Made that point a little later on.

It’s also why it shocks me to see where he falls on Raymond. For someone who loves the game breaking talents, you’d think Pronman would be drooling over his game, yet he’s fallen and ranked right around Drysdale. Along with Perfetti.

All in all, not my favorite piece of work that he has put together. He is a little disjointed in aspects. Although, to his credit he’s got me trying to watch back on some Rossi film this evening. He is rather impressive.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Oh no, I know and agree with this. Made that point a little later on.

It’s also why it shocks me to see where he falls on Raymond. For someone who loves the game breaking talents, you’d think Pronman would be drooling over his game, yet he’s fallen and ranked right around Drysdale. Along with Perfetti.

All in all, not my favorite piece of work that he has put together. He is a little disjointed in aspects. Although, to his credit he’s got me trying to watch back on some Rossi film this evening. He is rather impressive.

yeah, the guy said “Quinton byfield could go first overall” then doesn’t even have him ranked in the same tier as lafreniere. Soooo he just might get reached for? Confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad