Prospect Info: 2020 NHL draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
#1 - LAF
#2 - STUTZ
im still not locked in at 3 . but one player im liking is LUNDELL . looking to be a good sized powerful hard working shutdown centerman with sufficient but not great offensive talent . and personally i put real high worth in the good sized - powerful - hardworking - shutdown aspects of a centerman . a guys whose a pita for opponants top centers plus can use his size net front if you put a pair of talented wingers with him to do the creating .

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
#1 - LAF
#2 - STUTZ
im still not locked in at 3 . but one player im liking is LUNDELL . looking to be a good sized powerful hard working shutdown centerman with sufficient but not great offensive talent . and personally i put real high worth in the good sized - powerful - hardworking - shutdown aspects of a centerman . a guys whose a pita for opponants top centers plus can use his size net front if you put a pair of talented wingers with him to do the creating .

I can get behind stutzle @ 2 but you’re putting byfield @ 4?

Oct 18, 2006
#1 - LAF
#2 - STUTZ
Riley Sheahan fits that description too, scary.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Stutzle had 3 assists today

This game and his last game on Sunday are interesting to compare. The game vs. Krefeld where he had the 3 assists he was good, but did not create as much offense as I have come to expect.
Now last Sunday vs. Cologne he had only 1 secondary assist, but he really should have had 4 or 5. He was setting up people all over the place for what should have been easy goals.

I like the video you posted of the guy breaking down Tim's game. Having watched 22 of his 30 league games so far this season, it was fun looking at the clips he used and remembering those moments.

How would you guys rate Stutzle's shot? He seems to possess elite skating and playmaking abilities (good motor too). His shot, though, seems pretty average from my limited viewings of him.

His shot seems to come and go sometimes. I have seen him absolutely snipe wrist shots past goalies, but those seem to be exceptions. For the most part his shot is ok, but not great.
I would categorize it as slightly above average with lots of room for improvement. He is definitely a better playmaker than sniper. However the biggest weaknesses I see in his game at the moment are his faceoffs and that he is somewhat prone to wanting to do too much when he and/or his team is struggling. Sometimes I wish he would take a breath, relax and regain his focus in such situations. I already have seen him doing it less which is good sign and should probably be credited to his coach and his teammates. But during the WJC he was at it again sometimes.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
More of Mikko Koivu / ROR.

Sheahan never had that playmaking.

Sheahan never produced like Lundell did in Liiga in his draft year either. Sheahan is/was a third defensemen. Lundell is far more aggressive and engaged offensively.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Wow has Jake Sanderson shot up like a rocket. I was thinking a few months ago we could get him 2nd round.

Askarov falling to #10. Hopefully he is no longer in the top 5 mix, sorry if that upsets folks.

Not going to lie... as big of a fan as I am of Raymond/Drysdale... if we get pick 4 and the top 3 goes Lafreniere/Byfield/Stutzle I will be pretty bummed.

Compared to other years, this one is one that I'm not completely gut-wrenched by falling. Obviously to be poised for #1 and falling is going to piss me off, but because I don't hold Byfield in a clear tier of his own at 2, I have probably 4-6 players who enter in that conversation after Lafreniere.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Compared to other years, this one is one that I'm not completely gut-wrenched by falling. Obviously to be poised for #1 and falling is going to piss me off, but because I don't hold Byfield in a clear tier of his own at 2, I have probably 4-6 players who enter in that conversation after Lafreniere.

I think that Lafreniere, Byfield, and Stutzle have a significantly higher floor than anyone else in the top 10... minus maybe Lundell.

Reactions: hkydave04

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

There are quite a few guys that I feel are too high and some unranked players that I think are easily top 62 players. A lot of the defenceman he has ranked are not players I would give consideration for a top 62 pick, maybe even a top 90 in some cases.

Given how Bob's lists is generally the one with the least variance I think we could have quite the good draft should it play out like he expects it to. For reference this was his mid-season list last year. It seems like their is some movement within the top 62 come the final rankings, but the top 10/15 had few additions/subtractions.

Wow has Jake Sanderson shot up like a rocket. I was thinking a few months ago we could get him 2nd round.

Askarov falling to #10. Hopefully he is no longer in the top 5 mix, sorry if that upsets folks.

Not going to lie... as big of a fan as I am of Raymond/Drysdale... if we get pick 4 and the top 3 goes Lafreniere/Byfield/Stutzle I will be pretty bummed.

I think Sanderson is a little too high in the top 10, though I think he could be a top 20 selection come draft day. His recent play at the prospect game is certainly inflating his value among those Bob polled. I think Askarov falling is a result of the top 10 being so deep and that passing on safer prospects means that the risk of selecting a goalie just isn't worth it. I'll be honest, I'm still not sure what the difference between Askarov at say #6 vs Blomqvist, unranked by Bob, at say #76 really is.

I still like to put Rossi and Raymond in that tier with Byfield/Stutzle, though I understand why some people don't. I've come around Raymond recently as he's being underutilized by his HC in Frolunda. When you consider where his production could be if he was getting 2nd line minutes it's one of the best U18s in the SHL.

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I think that Lafreniere, Byfield, and Stutzle have a significantly higher floor than anyone else in the top 10... minus maybe Lundell.

Don't know if you saw this in the prospect thread, but with the translation, it's an extremely interesting read.

In-depth comparison Stützle vs Rossi

I have seen mixed bag reviews on Rossi's skating, everywhere from being average to very good. The article that is the focal point of that thread leans on the average side. Outside of the 4 inches and 10 pounds that Lafreniere has on Rossi, the way people talk about Marco is similar to how people talk about Alexis. Skating is anywhere from average to good, strong on the puck, super high IQ, good hands, good puck skills.

I think we are at the point now where everyone is fine with smaller players, but if you are going to be small, you have to be an elite skater. I don't know if that's true, but it is very hard to peg a comparable player for Rossi because most smaller players are in fact elite skaters. I haven't followed prospects all that closely over the years, so I don't know how certain players were regarded as skaters coming into the draft, but if anyone can speak to how Marchand, Atkinson, DeBrincat, or Marchessault. I know Point was a very average skater whose skating improvements have been a massive win for his career.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Don't know if you saw this in the prospect thread, but with the translation, it's an extremely interesting read.

I have seen mixed bag reviews on Rossi's skating, everywhere from being average to very good. The article that is the focal point of that thread leans on the average side. Outside of the 4 inches and 10 pounds that Lafreniere has on Rossi, the way people talk about Marco is similar to how people talk about Alexis. Skating is anywhere from average to good, strong on the puck, super high IQ, good hands, good puck skills.

I think we are at the point now where everyone is fine with smaller players, but if you are going to be small, you have to be an elite skater. I don't know if that's true, but it is very hard to peg a comparable player for Rossi because most smaller players are in fact elite skaters. I haven't followed prospects all that closely over the years, so I don't know how certain players were regarded as skaters coming into the draft, but if anyone can speak to how Marchand, Atkinson, DeBrincat, or Marchessault. I know Point was a very average skater whose skating improvements have been a massive win for his career.

I think all of those guys you listed are more shoot-first players than Rossi is. I think one guy you are hoping he turns out like would be Martin St. Louis, who had phenomenal lower body strength and could protect the puck very well for a smaller guy to set up his teammates. But honestly Rossi is a pretty unique prospect and a pretty unique situation given his age, production, and skill set. I do not know that I love him as a top 4 pick, if it was me and my job was on the line, I would want something that is a bit more of a sure thing. I know sometimes we only look at upside, but risk matters too a lot with this.

I would take Drysdale over Rossi every time, I'll tell you that much. But that's just me.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
From that TSN Article:

"Lafreniere is definitely a level above everyone in terms of his play this season," said one scout. "There's no disputing that. But where are these players going to be in their draft year plus one or plus two? I think there are a few guys [in this draft] who have [Elias] Pettersson-like potential."

More than one scout surveyed by TSN thinks a similar dynamic may be possible this year with potential challenges to TSN's Nos. 1 and 2, Lafreniere and Byfield

Guess that's encouraging...

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I think all of those guys you listed are more shoot-first players than Rossi is. I think one guy you are hoping he turns out like would be Martin St. Louis, who had phenomenal lower body strength and could protect the puck very well for a smaller guy to set up his teammates. But honestly Rossi is a pretty unique prospect and a pretty unique situation given his age, production, and skill set. I do not know that I love him as a top 4 pick, if it was me and my job was on the line, I would want something that is a bit more of a sure thing. I know sometimes we only look at upside, but risk matters too a lot with this.

I would take Drysdale over Rossi every time, I'll tell you that much. But that's just me.
St. Louis seems like as good a comparable for Rossi as you'll find. He has me more conflicted than any prospect recently. I'm just fairly unimpressed with the bit I've watched of Rossi but his numbers are crazy good. Not the guy I'd want in exchange for a season like this but I'd be very willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

I think people are right to question his skating. I think at best you could call it projectible as NHL average. I don't have issues with it technically but I do question his athleticism. More importantly, I don't see how you can project him as a top-six NHL center at his size given where is skating is currently. If you want to defend properly at center and get up in transition, you need explosiveness. Anyways, that projection is a bridge too far for me personally.

I can think of five other guys who I like more. Considering we will be drafting in the top 4, Rossi doesn't really interest me all that much notwithstanding the high level of skill and great sense he shows.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I think people are right to question his skating. I think at best you could call it projectible as NHL average. I don't have issues with it technically but I do question his athleticism. More importantly, I don't see how you can project him as a top-six NHL center at his size given where is skating is currently. If you want to defend properly at center and get up in transition, you need explosiveness. Anyways, that projection is a bridge too far for me personally.

I can think of five other guys who I like more. Considering we will be drafting in the top 4, Rossi doesn't really interest me all that much notwithstanding the high level of skill and great sense he shows.

I find that is hypercritical of his skating. You’re implying that even with development, he’s at best an average skater. That he’s currently a bad skater. Below average = bad. I don’t know if I share that belief

I don’t want these posts on Rossi to be confused as hopelessly plugging for him. He still doesn’t really enter my top 4 at this point, but he’s a player that is surely possible of being in it as I continue watching.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
More thoughts on the McKenzie list:

1. Surprised that Savoie and Nybeck did not make the top 62. They would be good targets for our late 2nd-4th round picks.
  2. Looking at the players ranked 30-60, not sure I love the depth of this draft as much as I was thinking.
  3. Very strong group from the OHL, I know we usually try to hit the lesser focused leagues but I would not be surprised if our first 2-3 picks all come from the OHL this year.
  4. If we grab a winger in round 1, would be nice to get Bourque or Bordelau in round 2.

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I find that is hypercritical of his skating. You’re implying that even with development, he’s at best an average skater. That he’s currently a bad skater. Below average = bad. I don’t know if I share that belief

I don’t want these posts on Rossi to be confused as hopelessly plugging for him. He still doesn’t really enter my top 4 at this point, but he’s a player that is surely possible of being in it as I continue watching.

His skating will of course improve on an absolute basis. He will be a better skater two years from now than he is today based purely on strength gains. That is just basic development at his age. The problem is that everyone else in the draft class will be better skaters two years from now than they are today. This is why it is so hard to make relative skating gains. For his age and league I would call him a slightly above average skater. That profile typically develops into an average NHL skater.

I am all eyes if you have video of him showing great two-step quickness. More importantly, I am all ears if you have examples of 5'9" NHL centers who are not elite skaters.

Regardless of what random scouting reports say, not everyone in a draft class is an above average skater.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
1) As much as I'd like to sign Lehner, I think there will be enough demand that somebody will give him a 3-5 year deal with $6-7M AAV, which I don't see Detroit doing in the here and now. For a decent band-aid, somebody like Halak might be an affordable option.

2) Can anybody comment on O'Rourke? He seems like the only defender that fell from mid-first to early second, instead of the other way around.

3) It's very early yet, but if I had a kneejerk reaction on the top of the draft, I'd say this:

If somebody could guarantee that Detroit wouldn't slide to 4th, but at the expense of eliminating the chance at #1, I'd be tempted to take the deal. Love me some Lafreniere, but (at this point) getting none of Laf, Byfield, or Stutzle would stink.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
1) As much as I'd like to sign Lehner, I think there will be enough demand that somebody will give him a 3-5 year deal with $6-7M AAV, which I don't see Detroit doing in the here and now. For a decent band-aid, somebody like Halak might be an affordable option.

2) Can anybody comment on O'Rourke? He seems like the only defender that fell from mid-first to early second, instead of the other way around.

3) It's very early yet, but if I had a kneejerk reaction on the top of the draft, I'd say this:

If somebody could guarantee that Detroit wouldn't slide to 4th, but at the expense of eliminating the chance at #1, I'd be tempted to take the deal. Love me some Lafreniere, but (at this point) getting none of Laf, Byfield, or Stutzle would stink.

would you give up any shot at all at drafting 1st if you were guaranteed 3rd? No I wouldn’t and I’m in love with stutzle.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I think Lundell at 4 would end up being a really good pick. Not flashy, but I think he's going to be a top6 NHL center. Put him with the right wings, and the points will be there, too.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I like him for the wings second round pick. Hes a really good skater and has a good shot. His numbers arent crazy this year but theres also really only one D lighting it up for them. Hes one of those leadership types with character that the wings have taken in the past. I think the wings have a few dmen like him in McIsaac and Tuomisto and even Seider is kind of similar I think to those guys.

That being said if some of these guys pan out, the wings D is going to be mobile, able to move the puck and very tough to play against in a playoff series. I think he could have a similar development to McIsaac. Fall a bit in the draft but have the tools to show he could've been picked earlier after the draft.

I would consider him kinda safe and maybe not super high end potential but if he becomes a top 4 D he fit the group really well. And just because he isnt flashy doesnt mean he doesnt become a high end guy either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->