2020 NHL Draft Thread: Who knows how many more days until this year's hockey tryouts? - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Is this based on anything even remotely resembling insider knowledge?
This seems like someone looked at the roster, decided we could use centers and a goalie, and decided the best way to fill those current roster needs is to draft these guys.
Hard to say. He talks to scouts and executives around the NHL but I’m not sure if that’s just him speculating on fit as opposed to hearing anything within the industry.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Hard to say. He talks to scouts and executives around the NHL but I’m not sure if that’s just him speculating on fit as opposed to hearing anything within the industry.

I think of the "usual suspects", Lundell, Askarov and Sanderson are the three I'd least like to end up with.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I think of the "usual suspects", Lundell, Askarov and Sanderson are the three I'd least like to end up with.
I think a forward will be there that isn’t a “usual suspect”. But I do agree, leaving a draft with this much high-end forward talent without a future top-line forward would certainly leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
...The hell happened to Lundell? He got involved in an international drug ring? Tossed under a Zamboni? Blew both his quads Vinny Mac style? Or just people's opinions a little too influenced by a pre-draft ranking or two?

Honestly, though: He'd be a fine pick at #9. Not a home run, perhaps, but then again it's kinda hard to tell with such things. I think he is going to be a player, personally. Dude has good skill and excellent two-way game. He may not wow you with his raw upside, but a Mikko Koivu would be a no-brainer at that point of the round.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
...The hell happened to Lundell? He got involved in an international drug ring? Tossed under a Zamboni? Blew both his quads Vinny Mac style? Or just people's opinions a little too influenced by a pre-draft ranking or two?

Honestly, though: He'd be a fine pick at #9. Not a home run, perhaps, but then again it's kinda hard to tell with such things. I think he is going to be a player, personally. Dude has good skill and excellent two-way game. He may not wow you with his raw upside, but a Mikko Koivu would be a no-brainer at that point of the round.

Well the two million dollar questions are 1) is he going to be a Koivu or is he going to be an Eller and 2) what are you passing on to get him?

Reactions: Legegendsofthenorth

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Lundell is a shoot-first center who just isn’t creative. If he develops his creativity and playmaking he could certainly be a 60 point center but I just don’t see it right now. He looks like a 20+20 guy to me who can play the penalty kill and be a very good checking line center, but I don’t think he’s good enough to go in the range we’re talking about.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Lundell has higher end talent than Koivu.

What we don’t know is how he’ll develop, as is with every prospect.

Skating looks good, improved, not an elite skater but top speed very good
Plays in all situations

Reactions: MNRube

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Was just looking at Ottawa's draft. Three 1st's, four 2nd's, two 3rd's. They are going to be loaded prospect wise after this draft. Their existing roster is almost hilariously bad, though. Chabot and Tkachuk are great, but after that it gets really ugly. Didn't realize that Colin White is signed long term for close to 5M, yet only had 23 pts. last year.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Yeah OTT is about to have a crazy pool of talent after this draft alone.

I still think this draft will play out kind of crazy. Strange, strange year could mean a strange draft- or the opposite, an extremely conservative one.

It is absolutely possible that picks 5-10 are a mix of 'that makes sense' and 'wtf?' due to extra scouting time/ scouting actively during the draft week.

Like if some of those FIN/SWED/RUS guys go on tears they may all be off the board by 7, including Askarov, allowing for a Drysdale, Perfetti, or Rossi to drop.

Another example, if Sanderson and Askarov go top 8, or Lundell and one of those two, it pushes SOMEONE back to 9.

Hell someone may be super high on Quinn, Jarvis, Mercer, Lundell...to go 7 or 8. Call me crazy but it seems like between 4-10 there is always someone that is a bit off the board- but not too much. Broberg on many mocks went after 10 but actually went top 10. Kotkaniemi was also projected to be closer to 10 but went top 3. From that same draft, Hayton was probably closer to 10 also, but went at 5.

In 2017, Makar was ranked 9 on NA skaters and Heiskanen was ranked 4 on Euro. Both went top 5.

3rd party rankings mixed with mocks for teams are usually closer to how a draft will play out and some of these are incredibly close to how the drafts actually went.

Last edited:
Reactions: MNRube

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Rossi
Perfetti
Raymond
Lundell
Holtz
Sanderson
Jarvis
Drysdale
Quinn
Mercer
Askarov
Zary

That’s how I would rank the players that could possibly be available to us at #9.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I like that list although I would do it just a little bit differently.

Rossi
Perfetti
Holtz
Raymond
Drysdale
Lundell
Sanderson
Mercer
Zary
Jarvis
Askarov

But like...anyone on this list from Rossi to Lundell I'm very happy with.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Lundells game seems to be progressing to another level and hes starting to score. Could see his name fly up the board quick here which is probably not a good thing as I dont want only an option of Holtz askarov and a dman.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Lundells game seems to be progressing to another level and hes starting to score. Could see his name fly up the board quick here which is probably not a good thing as I dont want only an option of Holtz askarov and a dman.
If Lundell somehow flies up the board then someone good has to fall. If Lundell goes top 8, then we could very well see one of Rossi, Raymond, or Perfetti fall in our laps

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
That's what I keep harping on. I don't see Lundell as a player with a super high ceiling but a high floor. He is def a good 1st rounder, but if you want to draft someone with higher ceilings then a number of guys project higher.

It's a fun exercise of futility to go back and look at what could have been's in the drafts. In 2005, we could have drafted Anze Kopitar as our pick. Kopitar and Gabby, Koivu as our 2nd C, PMB winger and on PP. Etc

That's why scouting and drafting matters.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
If we get a 2nd 1st somehow Jacob Perrault has one of the most exciting Toolboxes in the draft

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Quinn and Mercer centers?

Skjermbilde 2020-10-05 kl. 10.58.00.png

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Mercer is a center. Quinn...LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.