2020 NHL Draft Thread: Who knows how many more days until this year's hockey tryouts? - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I am a Rossi guy but Perfetti has a much higher ceiling I think. I like Rossi a lot and hope he’s available at 9 but there’s no denying there’s a fair bit of risk in his assessment. The players I see the most risk in amongst the top echelon of players are Byfield, Rossi, and Holtz.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
I am a Rossi guy but Perfetti has a much higher ceiling I think. I like Rossi a lot and hope he’s available at 9 but there’s no denying there’s a fair bit of risk in his assessment. The players I see the most risk in amongst the top echelon of players are Byfield, Rossi, and Holtz.
I'm the opposite. I think Byfield, Rossi, and Holtz (along with Raymond, Lafreniere, and Sanderson) have the least amount of risk.

Reactions: Leeves

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I'm the opposite. I think Byfield, Rossi, and Holtz (along with Raymond, Lafreniere, and Sanderson) have the least amount of risk.
Yes, Rossi is a low risk to be at least a 45-55 point two-way center. Upside is PPG while playing great defense.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think the risk with Rossi and Perfetti is that they won't be athletic enough to play C in the NHL, and end up on the wing. We don't need more diminutive wingers to add to our collection.
Lundell is near certain to be a NHL C. The risk with him is if he has very limited offense, like a Zacha.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
I think the risk with Rossi and Perfetti is that they won't be athletic enough to play C in the NHL, and end up on the wing. We don't need more diminutive wingers to add to our collection.
Lundell is near certain to be a NHL C. The risk with him is if he has very limited offense, like a Zacha.
What makes someone like Rossi or Perfetti less athletic than Lundell, exactly?

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
One scenario to consider … Swap with Nashville and go down to get Jack Quinn. I like this kid.

All around great player with a shoot first mentality. He has a deadly shot but Quinn can really do it all. He has great speed, is able to control the puck and an absolute laser of a shot. He never gives up on a play and is not afraid to get into the dirty areas. This kid could easily be a top 6 forward who scores 30 goals one day.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
One of the big separators in most sports is speed, power, and size. MiG was skilled, but not strong enough, or fast enough to be a good C. Mikko was an excellent C, despite not having the greatest wheels.

Just because you are big and fast doesn't mean that you will be a good C, of course, but, in general, you want to have one of those attributes, as well as have a predisposition to playing the position. C's need to cover more territory than wings. Having a big wingspan, or fast feet, helps do that. Being long or strong also helps in defensive coverage down low in the D zone, where C's are expected to do some work.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I will go ona hunger strike if we trade down and take a winger, unless there is some other shoe that drops on the trade front.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
In hockey? Strength, leverage, and reach are all huge factors.
Strength is the only one of these that could be attributed to athleticism. Any reason you didn't mention agility, endurance, fitness, speed, balance, hand-eye coordination?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Strength is the only one of these that could be attributed to athleticism. Any reason you didn't mention agility, endurance, fitness, speed, balance, hand-eye coordination?
Now we're arguing semantics. Yay.
Rossi isn't likely to be a center in the NHL, Lundell is. You can use whatever words that you like to explain the reason(s) why.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
i actually think Lundell will put up more points than he is currently showing as he keeps growing his game against men. i hope he is the one that falls to 9 as he does have good size and his speed is not bad. his shot actually looks rather solid and with a few highlights he has great vision to find his teammates. he is not pure offense but that may be great for us right now. let the wingers go very offensive knowing we have solid centers to cover for them and still pitch in on offense.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Now we're arguing semantics. Yay.
Rossi isn't likely to be a center in the NHL, Lundell is. You can use whatever words that you like to explain the reason(s) why.

"Leverage", "Reach", these in no way point to a persons athleticism. Don't blame me for your inability to consult a dictionary.

To conclude that Rossi "isn't likely to be a center in the NHL" is a completely fabricated talking point that ignores everything we know about Rossi as a prospect.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
"Leverage", "Reach", these in no way point to a persons athleticism. Don't blame me for your inability to consult a dictionary.

To conclude that Rossi "isn't likely to be a center in the NHL" is a completely fabricated talking point that ignores everything we know about Rossi as a prospect.
Maybe what you know. Show me the list of 5'8'' or even 5'9'' centers in the NHL currently?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Just off the top of my head:

Kerfoot
Point
Domi
Pageau
Trochek
Johnson
Marchessault
Gourde

None of those players were as highly rated as Rossi.
Not one center that is 5'9'' or shorter. Even listing Gourde or Marchessault tells me that you're in over your head here.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Not one center that is 5'9'' or shorter. Even listing Gourde or Marchessault tells me that you're in over your head here.

Margin of error.

Also, real rich coming from the guy who describes Tampa's 3rd line as the "Gourde line".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad