Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Mitchell Miller's (2020) USHL Draft Year Non-PP Points Per Game vs NHL affiliated USHL defenseman (drafted or signed as FA) Draft Year Non-PP Points Per Game from the 2013 draft through the 2019 draft:

Miller vs 2013-2019 drafted:signed USHL dmen.png

Not. Too. Shabby.

Also, Mark Friedman killing it here too.

***Yes. I know. Miller's season was shorter by 10-15 games than most of the rest of the players listed here***

TB87

May 30, 2018
Never ceases to amaze me how Pronman knocks a prospects speed because it isn't currently olympic speed skater fast in a straight line.

A few examples from his recently published top 2020 NHL Draft Board:
- Helge Grans, William Wallinder, Ridly Greig, Hendrix Lapierre, Alexander Holtz, with a 50 grade for skating (pro average)
- Braden Schneider with a 55 grade (above average) for skating???

Didn't rank Seeley or Finley in his top 122 either. What a monster

Reactions: IronMarshal

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Wallinder at 73. :eek:

Rossi?!

While I appreciate the effort to bring the 20-80 scouting scale to hockey, that guy just has no clue what it truly represents. Handing 60s out like candy.

Like he rightfully (imo) knocks Villeneuve's skating in the writeup and then still gives him a 50! What is even the point?! There are only two draftable skaters in the entire draft that are below NHL Average skating according to Pronman. Think about that for a second. All but two guys skate at the average NHLer's level...or better.

He went 122 deep and just about every player had at least one "Plus" or better grade. That's just not the reality of an amateur draft. The only grade he was willing to grade below a 50 consistently was "Physical Game". Whatever the hell that entails.

Oh and randomly throwing in a Shot grade for some players and not others is a model of consistency.

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
New hype reel for Quinton Byfield :) this one was my favourite to make so far

Hit the like or subscribe button if you guys enjoy!

More videos are on the way

TB87

May 30, 2018
Oksentyuk & Simoneau D+1 NHLe.png

These Mighty Mites could be solid undrafted FA pickups. They'll probably go undrafted for a 2nd time because smol. Still, the Flyers seem to have done well with undrafted FA's recently. They got mammoths in Zamula in Myers. Why not go for a double-dose of Mighty Mites eh? Eh? EH?

Last edited:
Reactions: BigToe

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
View attachment 348048

These Mighty Mites could be solid undrafted FA pickups. They'll probably go undrafted for a 2nd time because smol. Still, the Flyers seem to have done well with undrafted FA's recently. They got mammoths in Zamula in Myers. Why not go for a double-dose of Mighty Mites eh? Eh? EH?

I guess Oksentyuk gets drafted tbh. But I think Simoneau goes undrafted. (both should be ~3rd round picks in terms of actual value.)

TB87

May 30, 2018
I guess Oksentyuk gets drafted tbh. But I think Simoneau goes undrafted. (both should be ~3rd round picks in terms of actual value.)

Oksentyuk is one of my favorites. He was a major driver of offense for Flint this season. I’m very curious to hear what scouts have to say about him in The Black Book. Dude is one of the most skilled players in this draft. Well, from my viewings at least

Reactions: Appleyard

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
Fresh hype reel for Marco Rossi - who had with the highest PPG of this draft class

Enjoy guys! :) more videos are coming soon

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
My draft on Fantrax, Dynasty mode (rebuilding team):
4. Lucas Raymond, LW/RW, Frolunda, SHL
22. Lukas Reichel, LW, Eisbaren, DEL
37. William Villeneuve, RHD, Saint John, QMJHL
38. Ridly Greig, LW/C, Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL
44. Emil Heineman, LW/RW, Leksand, SuperElit
70. Michael Benning, RHD, Sherwood Park, AJHL

I’m falling in love with Lukas Reichel more and more, considering our projected pick

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Wallinder at 73. :eek:

Rossi?!

While I appreciate the effort to bring the 20-80 scouting scale to hockey, that guy just has no clue what it truly represents. Handing 60s out like candy.

Like he rightfully (imo) knocks Villeneuve's skating in the writeup and then still gives him a 50! What is even the point?! There are only two draftable skaters in the entire draft that are below NHL Average skating according to Pronman. Think about that for a second. All but two guys skate at the average NHLer's level...or better.

He went 122 deep and just about every player had at least one "Plus" or better grade. That's just not the reality of an amateur draft. The only grade he was willing to grade below a 50 consistently was "Physical Game". Whatever the hell that entails.

Oh and randomly throwing in a Shot grade for some players and not others is a model of consistency.

Maybe he genuinely thinks it’s a generational draft

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
Fresh new hype reel for Connor Zary - absolute workhorse of a player

Hope you guys enjoy :)

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
A guy that may fit the Flyers mold is Tyson Foerster. Really good showing at top prospects game. His skating needs to improve, he scores. He plays half court game, he has character. He doesn’t back down.
They'd probably need to take him in the first round which I would not endorse.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'd be okay if the Flyers took him at #31. He's a bubble-first with upside, and I always prefer those to safe bubble firsts with low upside but high floor.
Speaking solely for myself, I think he'll end up closer to a late 2nd than a late 1st for me. So I can't envision a scenario where I am thrilled or satisfied if he is the pick. He's got a good shot and decent offensive skillset but I don't think he impacts the game enough. A lot of production on the PP which may be attributed to usage being the top dog on a young team. He's like a lesser version of Jacob Perreault to me (who admittedly I was not crazy about but have warmed up to a bit recently).

I like his teammate Cardwell a lot better relative to where he is expected to go.

edit: Holy typos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stizzle

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
That's a fair assessment, the last third of the first round and first half of the second round is interesting to me this year. Foerster is a late-riser and I tend to undervalue those guys.

Unlike most years, there aren't many players in my 20-35 tier that I have marked as "avoid". Usually there are a handful of guys that I can't justify dropping in the rankings but don't really like. This year I am looking at trying to snag a guy I really like (Peterka, Reichel, Foerster) but if I miss them, all the other guys (Guhle, Schneider, Wallinder, Nybeck, Andrae, Grans, Perrault, Poirier, Brisson) are just fine.

TB87

May 30, 2018
‪Just finished drafting using Draft Prospects Hockey’s NHL Draft Simulator:

‪Philadelphia Flyers‬
‪(26) Seth Jarvis, RW‬
‪(57) Helge Grans, RD‬
‪(119) Ronan Seeley, LD‬
‪(150) Blake Biondi, C‬
‪(181) Hugo Styf, LD‬
‪(194) Jan Bednar, G‬
‪(212) Xavier Simoneau, C‬

Admittedly, after pick 119 this became an exercise in pick a name out of a hat (lone exception being Simoneau). If the board were to fall this way, how would people feel about these picks I wonder?

Reactions: IronMarshal

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

‪Philadelphia Flyers‬
‪(26) Seth Jarvis, RW‬
‪(57) Helge Grans, RD‬
‪(119) Ronan Seeley, LD‬
‪(150) Blake Biondi, C‬
‪(181) Hugo Styf, LD‬
‪(194) Jan Bednar, G‬

Admittedly, after pick 119 this became an exercise in pick a name out of a hat (lone exception being Simoneau). If the board were to fall this way, how would people feel about these picks I wonder?

I'd run around shouting in excitement. 2x 1st round quality players and one of the best few goalies in the draft with some solid players on top.

Reactions: TB87

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site

‪Philadelphia Flyers‬
‪(26) Seth Jarvis, RW‬
‪(57) Helge Grans, RD‬
‪(119) Ronan Seeley, LD‬
‪(150) Blake Biondi, C‬
‪(181) Hugo Styf, LD‬
‪(194) Jan Bednar, G‬

Excellent draft.
Jarvis is tremendous, Grans has upside and is a RHD, Seeley looks like Millman part 2, I like Biondi and Bednar in those spots. Good stuff! I doubt we do this well, but we'll see.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

‪Philadelphia Flyers‬
‪(26) Seth Jarvis, RW‬
‪(57) Helge Grans, RD‬
‪(119) Ronan Seeley, LD‬
‪(150) Blake Biondi, C‬
‪(181) Hugo Styf, LD‬
‪(194) Jan Bednar, G‬

I would ask you and @Stizzle how to feel

Reactions: BernieParent

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace

‪Philadelphia Flyers‬
‪(26) Seth Jarvis, RW‬
‪(57) Helge Grans, RD‬
‪(119) Ronan Seeley, LD‬
‪(150) Blake Biondi, C‬
‪(181) Hugo Styf, LD‬
‪(194) Jan Bednar, G‬

I mean, that one guy's name is Hugo Styf, so this is a huge draft win. A+++

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
What deal with the Devil did we make to get Jarvis at 26? :laugh: Arguably the most productive 17 year old season in the modern era of the WHL.

I don't have a good hunch about Grans but he's worth the gamble at 57.

Reactions: Larry44

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden

‪Philadelphia Flyers‬
‪(26) Seth Jarvis, RW‬
‪(57) Helge Grans, RD‬
‪(119) Ronan Seeley, LD‬
‪(150) Blake Biondi, C‬
‪(181) Hugo Styf, LD‬
‪(194) Jan Bednar, G‬

I tried that and I needed up with:

Dylan Holloway
Jake Neighbors
Reuben Rafkin
Xavier Simoneau
Hugo Styf

and I can’t remember the other 2. The browser closed the page once I finished and I can’t remember the other 2 :/

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

‪Philadelphia Flyers‬
‪(26) Seth Jarvis, RW‬
‪(57) Helge Grans, RD‬
‪(119) Ronan Seeley, LD‬
‪(150) Blake Biondi, C‬
‪(181) Hugo Styf, LD‬
‪(194) Jan Bednar, G‬

I had a go:

26: Mavrik Bourque, C/RW
57: Helge Grans, RD
119: Yegor Sokolov, RW/LW
150: Pavel Gogolev, LW
181: Benjamin Baumgartner, LW/C
194: Pavel Tyutnev, LW
212: Oscar Tellström, RW/LW

Who needs D anyway... haha.

(I just went BPA and upside first and foremost. Had a few D in consideration but all went just before picks where thought they were good value.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad