Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Curious to hear your guys thoughts on Thomas Bordeleau. Where do you think he gets picked?

I'm trying to get in some viewings specifically on him. Got some Sanderson viewings in recently and I'm moving on to some Bordeleau-centric viewings

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
His stride for sure needs work. Very upright, does not bend his knees much and as a result his skates angle outwards too much and reduce the power he gets at times. But I also thought despite that he managed to accelerate away from and go past guys quite a lot. Ofc the Q is not the NHL... but he is a faster skater than a guy like Hagg already even if his stride is very unorthodox.
When I talk skating I'm more talking more about overall movement rather than just solely focusing on the feet. I don't really question his foot speed. It's fine. Good even in a straight line. He's a long strider and it shows in open ice, but a defenseman at the next level won't get a chance to showcase open ice skating too often, especially the type he projects as. It's much more about short area quickness. He's definitely a lot more comfortable going forward than in the other 3 directions. I just find him a bit too clumsy, off-balance, flat-footed, and just awkward throughout games, especially when he has to change directions. He's really tentative when he has to pick up loose pucks along the boards. It's as he's fully aware of his limitations. He's kind of got the opposite issue that St. Ivany has. St. Ivany lacks short area explosiveness, but his edge work and balance is really pretty solid overall. I'm much more forgiving if a defenseman's skating knocks are speed related as opposed to change of direction related.

Villeneuve's pace slows down dramatically as a puck carrier. He's a puck pusher and not really a puck handler. You'll notice if he's forced to carry the puck in the DZ, he'll give it a big push forward and try to generate speed that way rather than using quick cross-overs and having firm control of the puck. I'm not sure that will fly at the next level. I'm not expecting Poirier-level ability, who can fly out of the DZ and weave through the NZ with ease, but even if you compare him to another peer Charlie Desroches, who is nothing but a late round marginal prospect, Desroches is a much, much better skater at this time. I'd also like to see him move more in the offensive zone. He can be a bit too stationary.

Realizing this sounds overly critical, I do like him as a prospect. This is only one area of the game, albeit probably the second most important aspect. And it's not always bad. Just a little more than I'd expect from a player with his pedigree. I just think second round is a little too rich for me. Especially without a third round pick. My rankings are still pretty tentative, but I have him as the ~15th best D. He'll almost certainly go later than that since I didn't even rank players that are almost certainly going before him so equate that how you will.

The Saint John coaches definitely seem to trust him a lot more than Poirier fwiw.

Last edited:
Reactions: Appleyard

TB87

May 30, 2018
If he’s still on the board in the 4th Rd, I’d be in favor of the Flyers drafting Eamon Powell at #119. Lots to like about this player.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Matthew Savoie got caught on the tracks.

LegalUniformCirriped-size_restricted.gif

TB87

May 30, 2018
I hope the scout Ryan is referring to here isn’t Nick Pryor (Flyers USHL scout):

AE8E49E6-716E-45F3-AA7C-D43D711F232E.jpeg

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
We had our early edition draft last month on the Habs board. How happy/angry would you be with that haul:
HF Habs: - 6th Annual Early Bird Mock Draft 2020: Covid-19 edition (Complete! with final stats)
:flyers
25 - Braden Schneider (RD) - Brandon (WHL)
56- Will Cuylle (LW) - Windsor (OHL)
118 - Simon Knak (RW) - Portland (WHL)
149 - Ilya Usov (C) - Prince Albert (WHL)
180 - David Ma (LD) - Shattuck St. Mary's (USHS-Prep) and Princeton University
194 - Stephen Halliday (LW) - Dubuque (USHL) and University of North Dakota
211 - Joseph Tucker Tynan (G) - Niagara Icedogs (OHL)

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
We had our early edition draft last month on the Habs board. How happy/angry would you be with that haul:
HF Habs: - 6th Annual Early Bird Mock Draft 2020: Covid-19 edition (Complete! with final stats)
:flyers
25 - Braden Schneider (RD) - Brandon (WHL)
56- Will Cuylle (LW) - Windsor (OHL)
118 - Simon Knak (RW) - Portland (WHL)
149 - Ilya Usov (C) - Prince Albert (WHL)
180 - David Ma (LD) - Shattuck St. Mary's (USHS-Prep) and Princeton University
194 - Stephen Halliday (LW) - Dubuque (USHL) and University of North Dakota
211 - Joseph Tucker Tynan (G) - Niagara Icedogs (OHL)

Before i respond, i need to check and see how many games they captained their national team for. Ill get back to you shortly.

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
I hope the scout Ryan is referring to here isn’t Nick Pryor (Flyers USHL scout):

View attachment 346943

I have him penciled in for a range of 50-67 (late second / early third). He's tagged as a guy I like for the top end of that range or a bit of a reach but certainly not first round. The other defencemen I have in that block are Shakir Mukhamadulin, Yan Kuznetsov, Eemil Viro, and Michael Benning, for reference.

TB87

May 30, 2018
I have him penciled in for a range of 50-67 (late second / early third). He's tagged as a guy I like for the top end of that range or a bit of a reach but certainly not first round. The other defencemen I have in that block are Shakir Mukhamadulin, Yan Kuznetsov, Eemil Viro, and Michael Benning, for reference.

Late 2nd/early 3rd makes sense. Viro and Benning on that list of yours would appear to be solid bets in that range. Mukhamadulin and Kuznetsov didn't do much for me in my viewings. Liked Kuznetsov in particular less and less the more viewings I got in of him.

TB87

May 30, 2018
I assume people here are not fan of Schneider and Cuylle :laugh:

Schneider folds under any kind of pressure when he gets forechecked (throws the puck away at the first sign of danger; even if there isn't any danger), and Cuylle's JAG. I'll grant that Schneider is a genuinely good defenseman in his own zone. I just don't think he'll be all that helpful at the NHL level when trying to breakout with any kind of possession/control. If Schneider gets that figured out at some point, he'd be a lot more valuable than he is now.

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
Late 2nd/early 3rd makes sense. Viro and Benning on that list of yours would appear to be solid bets in that range. Mukhamadulin and Kuznetsov didn't do much for me in my viewings. Liked Kuznetsov in particular less and less the more viewings I got in of him.

Get out of my head!

I like Benning as a late second / early third sleeper but I think someone will take him sooner. I am really low on Carter Savoie, who I think is dragging Benning's value up.

I am a Mukhamadulin fan as well, but again as a sleeper and he seems to be a favourite "off the board first round" pick right now. He definitely got a hype bump post-Superbowl halftime show due to name recognition.

Kuznetsov falling for me all year. Started bubble-first, solidly bubble-second now.

Reactions: TB87

TB87

May 30, 2018
Get out of my head!

I like Benning as a late second / early third sleeper but I think someone will take him sooner. I am really low on Carter Savoie, who I think is dragging Benning's value up.

I am a Mukhamadulin fan as well, but again as a sleeper and he seems to be a favourite "off the board first round" pick right now. He definitely got a hype bump post-Superbowl halftime show due to name recognition.

Kuznetsov falling for me all year. Started bubble-first, solidly bubble-second now.

Savoie’s a mess. Mukhamadulin got turnstiled fairly frequently in my viewings. I heard buzz about this player and decided I had to tune in and....I just don’t see it with this player.

My guys right now who’ll get picked anywhere from Rds 2-4:
Daniil Gushchin
Eamon Powell
Jack Finley
Ronan Seeley
Wyatt Kaiser
Sean Farrell
Ozzy Wiesblatt

Reactions: denominator

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
:thumbd:

Only trade up scenarios I’m in favor of are ones like with Brink last year. A clear first round talent falls within range for whatever reason. That ain’t Tuch. I’m not sure I’d take him anywhere let alone a second round trade up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad