Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Never ceases to amaze me how Pronman knocks a prospects speed because it isn't currently olympic speed skater fast in a straight line.

A few examples from his recently published top 2020 NHL Draft Board:
- Helge Grans, William Wallinder, Ridly Greig, Hendrix Lapierre, Alexander Holtz, with a 50 grade for skating (pro average)
- Braden Schneider with a 55 grade (above average) for skating???

Didn't rank Seeley or Finley in his top 122 either. What a monster

Time & time again he proves he is should not have the job he currently has.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The Habs board just finished their official mock. Since the last one I posted was so well received :sarcasm: here is what we came with (not me this time drafting).

26: John-Jason Peterka
57: Luke Evangelista
119: Adam Wilsby
150: Elliot Ekmark
181: Kyle Crnkovic
194: Jack Smith
212: Lukas Svejkovsky

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
Without putting much work into it and going off memory, my draft ended up:

26: Mavrik Bourque, C
57: Roby Jarventie, LW
119: Calle Clang, G
150: Maximillian Glotzl, D
181: Joonas Oden, LW
194: Daniel Ljungman, C
212: Thomas Chlubna, RW

Seems like the simulator is picking D off early, and given that the Flyers have pretty good depth there already, didn't want to reach on them.

Bourque is a solid pick late first round (see above), and I think Jarventie is flying under the radar.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Prokop would be a controversial pick for any team. I think the Flyers should prioritize Ozzy Wiesblatt and Hugo Styf. Take those names early if necessary.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I gave the sim a whirl. Had to choose between Bourque and Perreault. Would take either there but went with the goal scoring upside since the organization lacks goal scorers/snipers and goal scoring is and goaltending wins.
Jacob Perreault
Ridley Grieg
Ronan Seeley
Cross Hanas
Hugo Styf (seems destined to be a Flyer based on sim results)
Maxim Beryozkin
Pavel Gogolev

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
I gave the sim a whirl. Had to choose between Bourque and Perreault. Would take either there but went with the goal scoring upside since the organization lacks goal scorers/snipers and goal scoring is and goaltending wins.
Jacob Perreault
Ridley Grieg
Ronan Seeley
Cross Hanas
Hugo Styf (seems destined to be a Flyer based on sim results)
Maxim Beryozkin
Pavel Gogolev

ooooh Perreault & Seeley. I can dig it!

Reactions: IronMarshal

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
It came to my attention that this site isn't as well-known as it should be, so I'll toss out a link: Pick224 - Hockey Prospect Stats

It has sortable stats for prospects including things like Primary Points, PP and EV Primaries, Ages with decimals, and even some offensive Goal/Shot heatmaps. What I really like about it is that you can toggle both calendar year and DY+/-X factors.

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
Pretty sure need is a major consideration. Which can be counterintuitive since the needs to today aren’t necessarily the needs of tomorrow.

Do you think it's more of a consideration in the later rounds?

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Not that we’ll be in position to draft him but Jake Sanderson seems to be the most polarizing player of this draft. What do you guys that watched him think?

- Great skater in every aspect
- Excellent gap control
- Quick active stick
- Fast & accurate DZ reads
- Regularly angles his checks to the outside
- Recognizes assignment switches before they occur
- Decent in transition
- offensive creativity is missing and/or rarely pops up...Which is problematic for a defenseman likely going top 10/top 15
- If the offensive skill showed up with any semblance of regularity, I’d view him in a more positive light. He’s very young for this draft so it’s possible that could be developed post-draft...but I’m a skeptic
- Has all of the makings of a solid defense-first NHL defenseman

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
It came to my attention that this site isn't as well-known as it should be, so I'll toss out a link: Pick224 - Hockey Prospect Stats

It has sortable stats for prospects including things like Primary Points, PP and EV Primaries, Ages with decimals, and even some offensive Goal/Shot heatmaps. What I really like about it is that you can toggle both calendar year and DY+/-X factors.
No good, I couldn’t find PIM so we don’t know who’s heavy or not.

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
How do you guys feel about Marat Khusnutdinov?

There seems to be a lot of hype. Are you guys believers? If so, will he be at 26 and is he worth the pick at that spot?

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
How do you guys feel about Marat Khusnutdinov?

There seems to be a lot of hype. Are you guys believers? If so, will he be at 26 and is he worth the pick at that spot?
I go against the HF grain on him.I’ve grown warm on him, but don’t love him. He is a very skilled good skating small player. The fact he plays in Russia and hasn’t come over like others have gives me pause, but that is my bias. I will always take someone else with regards to Russian players in Russia if all things are equal. Also with Khusnutdinov, he really didn’t produce the points given his talent. Yeah, I know “points” but it is something to ponder. I wouldn’t mind him in the second, but in the first I think there are better players by my ratings going to be there.

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
I go against the HF grain on him.I’ve grown warm on him, but don’t love him. He is a very skilled good skating small player. The fact he plays in Russia and hasn’t come over like others have gives me pause, but that is my bias. I will always take someone else with regards to Russian players in Russia if all things are equal. Also with Khusnutdinov, he really didn’t produce the points given his talent. Yeah, I know “points” but it is something to ponder. I wouldn’t mind him in the second, but in the first I think there are better players by my ratings going to be there.

Given my complete lack of viewing (of any draft prospect), the low point totals are what I noticed. If all the right skills are there, do you imagine that the points will come at a higher level when surrounded by more talent?

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Given my complete lack of viewing (of any draft prospect), the low point totals are what I noticed. If all the right skills are there, do you imagine that the points will come at a higher level when surrounded by more talent?
That is the six million dollar question.
Like I said, I would take someone else for the reasons I stated. Worth a shot in the second though.
Some guys look pretty, have the sexy moves, great wheels and hands and just don’t get it done.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'll probably have a late 1st grade on him, but there is risk in the profile. The MHL is a good league that often gets overlooked which makes for good late round gambles, but there is not an extensive track record of guys that played exclusively in the league and were first round picks, let alone good ones. But that shouldn't stop you if you have a strong conviction. He's probably not making it to their next pick. If you're looking for an offensive gamebreaker, he's probably not your guy. That's Pashin or Gushchin. He's skilled but more in a subtle way. I didn't recall him standing out at the u18s last year as an underager, but after rewatching, he was definitely making an impact in a third line role as one of the youngest players at the tournament.

He played on a deep Junior team and only had 5 PP points all year which is what suppresses the raw numbers. The MHL is also the lowest scoring junior league by a mile. He did have one of the best goal differentials on the team which speaks to his two-way play. He also had points on 82% of the ES goals scored when he was on the ice and 66% of the time they were primary points - two of the higher rates in the draft. I'm not sure that has any predictability, but it indicates he wasn't a passenger this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad