Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread: Part IV - well, the lotto sucked

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
OK. Let's just focus on 8 games then.
What about the 60-game regular season?
He was 14th in the OHL in goals. That's nice. It's really good. But it'ss fourth among draft eligible OHLers.

Kucherov is basically a 40-goal guy each of the last four years in the NHL. Not many guys can say that.
You think Perfetti's that good? Then why aren't you talking about him at #1?
Perfetti made a concerted effort to work on the other parts of his game this season after being shoehorned in as a one dimensional Goal scorer in his D-1. The results speak for themselves but the fact his goal total didn’t drop in doing so tells me a lot.

he’s always been known for his scoring touch. His goal was to show off more elements to his game. He was considered a Holtz type prospect last year

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Maybe after having historically good 16 year old season followed by a dominant Hlinka, teams keyed in on him defensively, which allowed him to set up his teammates and show off the playmaking dimension to his game. Maybe he was just taking what the defense gave him this year, and that doesn’t change that he has a great shot.

Anyway, I don't think he's Kucherov - and that's what I was responding to.
If I did, I'd consider him at 1OA.
And if we were at 1OA, I wouldn't take Perfetti.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Anyway, I don't think he's Kucherov - and that's what I was responding to.
If I did, I'd consider him at 1OA.
And if we were at 1OA, I wouldn't take Perfetti.

That's a heck of a strawman... no one was saying he should be taken 10A. I certainly wasn't. Lafreniere, Byfield, and Stutzle all have a much better floor than Perfetti.

I by no means would say Perfetti as a spotless prospect, but I do think his upside is very good. Similar to how our friends at hockeyprospect.com feel. But this is what we are dealing with since the NHL wants to run the lottery like a bunch of idiots.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I must say, I have know reached the "just take somebody right damn now" phase. Fortunately the draft is tomorrow. My order in terms of preference is 1 Perfetti, 2 Askarov, 3 Sanderson.

Raymond is forth. It's not that I don't like Raymond, but winger's are not a major needed area of importance for this team atm. I'm also not a fan of offense only d men. So I only have Drysdale at 5.

I know everyone has their own opinion and is entitled to it. But frankly, I'm just tired of talking about this subject.

Reactions: A II R and MBH

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
That's a heck of a strawman... no one was saying he should be taken 10A. I certainly wasn't. Lafreniere, Byfield, and Stutzle all have a much better floor than Perfetti.

I by no means would say Perfetti as a spotless prospect, but I do think his upside is very good. Similar to how our friends at hockeyprospect.com feel. But this is what we are dealing with since the NHL wants to run the lottery like a bunch of idiots.

Strawman???
He was compared to Kucherov, a Hart Trophy winner.
Hart Trophy guys have a claim at being drafted #1 overall.

Prospect of Interest: Could Cole Perfetti become the Canadian Kucherov? - Sportsnet.ca

You heard it here, folks. Perfetti doesn't play like Kucherov. Kucherov plays like Perfetti.

This is a straight up comparison to Kucherov.

And if you think Perfetti equal to that, you should be talking about Perfetti as a potential #1 overall pick.

Unless you think Lafreniere is Lemiuex/Gretzky level good.

I had Perfetti as my #2 guy of the likely available players at #4. But the skating, low-energy forecheck says two things to me. 1) He's probably not a center. And I'm not really down for another winger right now. 2) As a winger, he's a less skilled, less dynamic Patrick Kane, who doesn't work hard to win battles in the corners. Is that what I want at #4?

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
OK. Let's just focus on 8 games then.
What about the 60-game regular season?
He was 14th in the OHL in goals. That's nice. It's really good. But it'ss fourth among draft eligible OHLers.

Kucherov is basically a 40-goal guy each of the last four years in the NHL. Not many guys can say that.
You think Perfetti's that good? Then why aren't you talking about him at #1?

Yes I do. I probably watched Cole play close to 40 games last year. 80+ in the last 2 years. His goal scoring will be fine at the next level. 40 goals isn't unreasonable for him at his peak with his shot and hands. As for his goal totals from last season, he was snake bitten to start the season and no joke probably hit 10-15 posts in the first month of the year. Outside of that first stretch with the posts, he probably had at least 10 other times he could have scored, but dished it to Coskey or Giroux for a tap in. Especially once Suzuki came to town., him and Cole played playmaker to Coskey and Giroux's goal scoring.

As for not talking about him #1 personally there are just two better options to me. Laf and Byfield.
Alexis is a 100% superstar imo. When I've seen him play its just lights out all the time. Even when you can tell he isnt trying his hardest he will still wow you.

When I've seen Byfield play, Perfetti has actually out preformed him every single time. That size and potential though is to much to pass up on if he puts it all together. The sky is literally the limit for him.

At his peak, Perfetti has the offensive potential to be a perennial Art Ross contender though at least in my opinion. His skating makes him riskier than those two, and his defensive play isnt as good, but I think most people are going to be surprised at Cole 3 years down the road.

Reactions: jfrank21

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Yes I do. I probably watched Cole play close to 40 games last year. 80+ in the last 2 years. His goal scoring will be fine at the next level. 40 goals isn't unreasonable for him at his peak with his shot and hands. As for his goal totals from last season, he was snake bitten to start the season and no joke probably hit 10-15 posts in the first month of the year. Outside of that first stretch with the posts, he probably had at least 10 other times he could have scored, but dished it to Coskey or Giroux for a tap in. Especially once Suzuki came to town., him and Cole played playmaker to Coskey and Giroux's goal scoring.

As for not talking about him #1 personally there are just two better options to me. Laf and Byfield.
Alexis is a 100% superstar imo. When I've seen him play its just lights out all the time. Even when you can tell he isnt trying his hardest he will still wow you.

When I've seen Byfield play, Perfetti has actually out preformed him every single time. That size and potential though is to much to pass up on if he puts it all together. The sky is literally the limit for him.

At his peak, Perfetti has the offensive potential to be a perennial Art Ross contender though at least in my opinion. His skating makes him riskier than those two, and his defensive play isnt as good, but I think most people are going to be surprised at Cole 3 years down the road.

Maybe you're right. But I think anyone who thinks Perfetti has Kucherov-like potential would be talking about him at 1.
Frankly, I don't expect Lafreniere to be as good as Kucherov has been.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Strawman???

And if you think Perfetti equal to that, you should be talking about Perfetti as a potential #1 overall pick.

Unless you think Lafreniere is Lemiuex/Gretzky level good.

I had Perfetti as my #2 guy of the likely available players at #4. But the skating, low-energy forecheck says two things to me. 1) He's probably not a center. And I'm not really down for another winger right now. 2) As a winger, he's a less skilled, less dynamic Patrick Kane, who doesn't work hard to win battles in the corners. Is that what I want at #4?

giphy.gif

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
Maybe you're right. But I think anyone who thinks Perfetti has Kucherov-like potential would be talking about him at 1.
Frankly, I don't expect Lafreniere to be as good as Kucherov has been.
I think they are only talking about Perfetti being like Kucherov in the same sense that you compare him to Kane

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
perfetti's release really reminds me of austin Matthews. His shot is elite and it aint even the best part of his game.

I keep flip flopping between players, Perfecti is my current choice. And yes i think i just came up with a new nickname for him haha

Reactions: mantha39

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
perfetti's release really reminds me of austin Matthews. His shot is elite and it aint even the best part of his game.

I keep flip flopping between players, Perfecti is my current choice. And yes i think i just came up with a new nickname for him haha
i like bowl spaghetti

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Does anyone know the best ways to watch the draft without cable?

I usually just find a stream online but I’d rather not rely on that. I don’t think NHLtv offers it either...

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Strawman???

First, here are the last ten Hart Trophy winners, and when they were drafted:
* Draisaitl, 3 overall
* Kucherov, 58 overall
* Hall, 1 overall
* McDavid, 1 overall
* Kane, 1 overall
* Price, 5 overall
* Crosby, 1 overall
* Ovechkin, 1 overall
* Malkin, 2 overall
* Perry, 28 overall

That's an average of 10.1 overall.
If you say Kucherov is an outlier, that's still an average of 4.8 overall.
Even if you say that both Kucherov and Perry are outliers, you still have a 2, a 3, and a 5 mixed in there.

Yes, the #1 pick should be a phenomenal player. But it's not an automatic for Hart.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
First, here are the last ten Hart Trophy winners, and when they were drafted:
* Draisaitl, 3 overall
* Kucherov, 58 overall
* Hall, 1 overall
* McDavid, 1 overall
* Kane, 1 overall
* Price, 5 overall
* Crosby, 1 overall
* Ovechkin, 1 overall
* Malkin, 2 overall
* Perry, 28 overall

That's an average of 10.1 overall.
If you say Kucherov is an outlier, that's still an average of 4.8 overall.
Even if you say that both Kucherov and Perry are outliers, you still have a 2, a 3, and a 5 mixed in there.

Yes, the #1 pick should be a phenomenal player. But it's not an automatic for Hart.
This is a wonderful example of why sometimes median is a better measure than mean.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
The support for Holtz from you is more unwavering than Bench's for Askarov, and I commend it.
From an eye test and also scouting reports and how amazing he's been for the longest time, I got Holtz as the second best player in this draft just a skosh ahead of Stutzle. I know we're going to grab an all-star at 4 regardless who we grab, I truly honestly believe Holtz is going to be the second most dominate player in this draft. Take it from me, I'm wrong half of the time and the other half I'm either right or I'm wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad