Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread: Part IV - well, the lotto sucked

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan

I'm getting tired of the narrative that Sanderson doesn't have upside. He has less demonstrated elite offensive play but there's a very real chance that the player we saw in the last half of the year is who he is going forward. He has an excellent floor and a ceiling that is also quite high. Like franchise 1D high. Is he more of a risk, sure? But so is Byfield. Jake's a little over a month older than Byfield, and has a ton of tools, just like him. Byfield hasn't had near the pre-draft success as others in this class, but teams are happy to take that risk because the raw talent with him is just so high. To me, Sanderson is right there with the top group, and is firmly the best D in class on my board.

Reactions: Realgud and MBH
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Prospect of Interest: Could Cole Perfetti become the Canadian Kucherov? - Sportsnet.ca

“To me, his player comparable is Nikita Kucherov,” says the coach, citing the Russian winger who, two seasons ago, posted the NHL’s highest single-season point total of the past two decades. “Kucherov played in the CHL, he’s not overly lightning-quick with his skating, but man, his playmaking, his creativeness, his ability to manipulate defenders, his change of direction, his deception. All those things make Kucherov one of the best players in the National Hockey League.

“And to me, when I watch Kucherov play, it’s like watching Cole Perfetti play.”

You heard it here, folks. Perfetti doesn't play like Kucherov. Kucherov plays like Perfetti.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I'm getting tired of the narrative that Sanderson doesn't have upside. He has less demonstrated elite offensive play but there's a very real chance that the player we saw in the last half of the year is who he is going forward. He has an excellent floor and a ceiling that is also quite high. Like franchise 1D high. Is he more of a risk, sure? But so is Byfield. Jake's a little over a month older than Byfield, and has a ton of tools, just like him. Byfield hasn't had near the pre-draft success as others in this class, but teams are happy to take that risk because the raw talent with him is just so high. To me, Sanderson is right there with the top group, and is firmly the best D in class on my board.

I've seen enough skating and skill....to think there's something there offensively if we give it more time. Doesn't hurt that I always thought his dad was a really good offensive hockey player.
There's no question about the defensive side of the game. There's no question about his upside for turning defense into offense.
He'll get transition points.
The only question is offensive zone work. That's more of a guess. But I'm betting on him being very good - perhaps not elite from the Ozone in.
So Ryan Suter-esque, but built for the modern game.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Reactions: hkydave04

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
All these kids are great young players. After all these months without Detroit red wings hockey it’s easy to dissect each one of them, get entrenched in a certain camp and forget that no matter who we draft we are likely getting our new #1 prospect.

5082-jpg.jpg

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Yes. Have you?

Perfetti has multiple seasons and performances demonstrating high end offensive tool kit, including a dangerous shot, but it's not enough to convince you because....you disapprove of the eye test? This coming from the guy who just finished talking about the offensive upside of Jake Sanderson as being potentially elite, despite his offensive game has been sparsely seen in small quantities for maybe half of a shortened draft season.

I honestly don't understand how the hell you come to some of the conclusions you make. I can tell you one thing, it's easier to see Perfetti being a perennial 30+ goal guy in the NHL than it is to see Sanderson become an elite defenseman in the offensive zone.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Get on HockeyTV and watch him play full games if you really want to see what he looks like shift-after-shift. He is very mobile and defends transition extremely well (and has a good sense of defensive timing in all three zones) but has exceptionally ordinary puck skills and is a very ordinary passer of the puck. I don't think he is all that great at rushing the puck to be honest with you notwithstanding his skating. There is nothing natural about his play with the puck. People are absolutely right to question his offensive upside. I have said this before and will say this again, do you really want to spend a fourth and a sixth overall pick (in back-to-back drafts no less) on defensemen with no realistic shot of quarterbacking a number one power play? Is that really the best use of that draft capital? I loved Willlie Mitchell as a player and saw great value in what he brought to the table. Under no circumstance, however, would I spend a 4thOA pick on a more mobile Willie Mitchell.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Perfetti has multiple seasons and performances demonstrating high end offensive tool kit, including a dangerous shot, but it's not enough to convince you because....you disapprove of the eye test? This coming from the guy who just finished talking about the offensive upside of Jake Sanderson as being potentially elite, despite his offensive game has been sparsely seen in small quantities for maybe half of a shortened draft season.

I honestly don't understand how the hell you come to some of the conclusions you make. I can tell you one thing, it's easier to see Perfetti being a perennial 30+ goal guy in the NHL than it is to see Sanderson become an elite defenseman in the offensive zone.

Come on, we all know that John has never actually watched a full game of Sanderson.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Get on HockeyTV and watch him play full games if you really want to see what he looks like shift-after-shift. He is very mobile and defends transition extremely well (and has a good sense of defensive timing in all three zones) but has exceptionally ordinary puck skills and is a very ordinary passer of the puck. I don't think he is all that great at rushing the puck to be honest with you notwithstanding his skating. There is nothing natural about his play with the puck. People are absolutely right to question his offensive upside. I have said this before and will say this again, do you really want to spend a fourth and a sixth overall pick (in back-to-back drafts no less) on defensemen with no realistic shot of quarterbacking a number one power play? Is that really the best use of that draft capital? I loved Willlie Mitchell as a player and saw great value in what he brought to the table. Under no circumstance, however, would I spend a 4thOA pick on a more mobile Willie Mitchell.
I've seen the player in person and I would disagree. His hockey IQ is his most underrated asset, I've long thought his ability to diagnose plays was much improved from last year, and the scouting services are finally catching up. I think he can be an elite 5v5 D in terms of shot suppression and puck transportation. To answer your question, no I would not draft a defensemen who has questionable offensive upside at 4, but I don't see Sanderson falling into the same tier as Seider. I saw a player, in front of my eyes, gain the confidence to finally assert himself from the offensive blueline in. I don't think he's the next EK but I see a lot of Josi. Sanderson-Seider would be one of the best defensive pairings in the league if the Wings go that way, no hyperbole intended.

That said, I'm a Raymond/Askarov guy a 4, so this conversation is kinda moot IMO.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Yes. Have you?
You don't see a high end shot there? I've seen him score some pretty ridiculous goals. In a ton of different ways, too. Surely you'd agree the "Goal Perfetti" thing was not just hype. 37 goals in his D-1 was a pretty elite goalscoring year.

It's strange, because Perfetti was originally thought of as a pure scorer. I had certainly bought into that narrative, to the point where I wrote him off. The playmaking came a little bit later, and certainly now there are scouts projecting him as a bit more of a playmaker. But I don't think anyone thinks the goalscoring ability went anywhere.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Perfetti, Raymond, Perfetti, Raymond, Perfetti, Raymond, Perfetti, Raymond.... kill me.

what’s funny is, neither are my second choice but I can’t decide which is my first choice. That’s how bad the draft has f***ed me up this year...

Reactions: jkutswings

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The problem is that we've all had 3.5 months too much to argue over the same points about every possible set of players we might draft at 4. We're all going a little crazy.

so ready just for something to start happening. the draft, free agency, a trade...after last season, I'm just ready to see the Wings officially shut that door and move on to this next season.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Yeah, go back and watch his Hlinka performance where he had 8 goals in 5 games and was arguably Canada’s best player and tell me his shot is not high end.

Also had one of the best goal scoring seasons ever for a 16 year old in the OHL.

OK. Let's just focus on 8 games then.
What about the 60-game regular season?
He was 14th in the OHL in goals. That's nice. It's really good. But it'ss fourth among draft eligible OHLers.

Kucherov is basically a 40-goal guy each of the last four years in the NHL. Not many guys can say that.
You think Perfetti's that good? Then why aren't you talking about him at #1?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
He was 14th in the OHL in goals. That's nice. It's really good. But it'ss fourth among draft eligible OHLers.

Kucherov is basically a 40-goal guy each of the last four years in the NHL. Not many guys can say that.

Because of the skating and size combination? You are aware of the actual reasons holding him down people's rankings, right? It's not because of his shot.

Reactions: Darkseider

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Maybe after having historically good 16 year old season followed by a dominant Hlinka, teams keyed in on him defensively, which allowed him to set up his teammates and show off the playmaking dimension to his game. Maybe he was just taking what the defense gave him this year, and that doesn’t change that he has a great shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->