Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread: Part IV - well, the lotto sucked

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
What do you think the price to move up from 4 to 2 should be?
Assuming McIsaac is still involved, I'd think that adding 32 overall would be the starting point, and even then it might not be enough.

But hey, if LA is goofy enough to drop from 2 to 4, I won't stand in their way.

Reactions: Richard88

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Thanks for your feedback.

It is certainly optimistic to think that these pieces would all be on the roster in 3 years, but it's just a roster projection to illustrate what young pieces would be on the roster if nothing happened.

What do you think the price to move up from 4 to 2 should be?

I mean, it's gonna be a decently high cost. Maybe McIsaac and next years lottery protected first. At that level of the draft, with the prevailing wisdom that there is Laf who is the BPA and then Stutzle and Byfield are 2a and 2b as the legit top centers in the draft... LAK or OTT have no reason to let go of their pick for anything reasonable... even if it is only to drop to 4.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Rossi projects as a top-line center that can drive his line and produce at a near point-per-game rate at the next level.
BREAKING NEWS! We're live at the residence of one @The Zetterberg Era , where there appears to be a disturbance of some sort. It seems as though several local celebrities have gotten into some kind of a shouting match. Let's go to live video:

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

200.gif

OdmL.gif

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

I can't quite understand what everybody is objecting to, but we will continue to monitor the situation, and provide any updates as they happen. Back to you, @DATSOMATIC13 !

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Thanks for your feedback. I forgot about Johannson but I've now added him. :)

I like a lot of what you did, especially with your top five which I think is great. Personally I would have taken Byfield at two but Stutzle is logical (I also like ROR and Ozzy more than most around here). It is always hard to comment without knowing who your other options were when you picked.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I like a lot of what you did, especially with your top five which I think is great. Personally I would have taken Byfield at two but Stutzle is logical (I also like ROR and Ozzy more than most around here). It is always hard to comment without knowing who your other options were when you picked.
Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts. You can check out the full mock draft in the link below, and thereby see my moves in more context. :)

2020 Mock Draft Thread - Round 3

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts. You can check out the full mock draft in the link below, and thereby see my moves in more context. :)

2020 Mock Draft Thread - Round 3

It is hard to be too critical, but I would take Kaiser or Faber over Powell and would have taken Ambrosio over the big Belarussian. I personally think later round picks are better spent on non-CHL players because they typically need a bit more development runway. That said, you could probably sell me on Hardie where you got him.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
It is hard to be too critical, but I would take Kaiser or Faber over Powell and would have taken Ambrosio over the big Belarussian. I personally think later round picks are better spent on non-CHL players because they typically need a bit more development runway. That said, you could probably sell me on Hardie where you got him.
I could be sold on another Dman over Powell, but I just love his skating and IQ, he's just such a beautiful player to watch. A coach's dream.

I do agree that I probably reached a little for Palivko who might not get drafted, but I really wanted another LHD and someone I could foresee being paired with Powell or Samuel Johannesson. I may have left a litte bit of talent on the table there though, with Ambrosio or some of the forwards available in the 7th.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Hi Detroit fans,

I've had the pleasure of drafting for Detroit in the Hfboard Avs forum group mock, and I'm curious what you guys make of this draft?

View attachment 369902

Note that I made 3 trades:
  • LA Kings trade #2 to Detroit for #4 + Jared McIsaac
  • Detroit trade #32 + #56 to LA Kings for #35 + #51 + #97
  • Nashville trade #42 and Nick Bonino to Detroit for #51.
I wanted Stutzle and traded McIsaac to make it happen. I then tried trading up from #32 to grab Peterka (he went at #25) to unite the Germans, but when that fell through I targetted O'Rourke to replace McIsaac. I thought 32 was a bit high to take O'Rourke though so I traded down to 35 to move up from 56 to 51 and also add a 4th rounder (which I used to take a good goalie).

I tried hard to get an extra pick in the top 45, and managed to move again from 51 (originally 56) up to 42. I don't think Bonino has negative value but that trade was offered me when I asked about moving up so I easily accepted. I tried flipping Bonino for a 2nd + LHD prospect but didn't find the right trade, but I figure I could flip him in the future for picks.

With Heineman and Wiesblatt I added two skilled forwards who skate very well; have high IQ; and play a very translateable physical game. In Ponomarov I swung for the fences a bit on a guy who several scouts have in the late 1st round, and in Eamon Powell I added a smallish RHD with extremely high IQ and elite skating who I think coaches will love.

I may have taken Isaak Phillips a tad high at 107, but I really like his combination of size, skating, and skill for a 6'3 Dman, and I wasn't sure he would still be there at 125. He's very raw, but the package is something to work with.

Having taken Powell already Samuel Johannesson might be a bit redundant (another smallish RHD) but his raw talent was too much to pass up. I later picked Danila Palivko who is a huge 6'4'' LHD with terrific potential (according to Joel Henderson, a Calgary Flames WHL scout) who has been paired with Calen Addison this season and who may develop into a perfect partner for one of Powell or Johannesson. I also swung on Hardie who is a sniper who had a terrific 2nd half of his draft season and who I felt was good value at the top of the 6th.

Overall this is the outlook of the roster projecting 3 years ahead. My picks are highlighted in yellow.

View attachment 369907

If I'm critical here I think the roster lacks a really high-end LHD still, but I figure that a LHD is something Detroit should be able to find in the top 10 of the 2021 draft which is much stronger for Dmen than the 2020 draft.

Not a big fan of Powell and don't know the last two guys, but otherwise that's a great draft.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
BREAKING NEWS! We're live at the residence of one @The Zetterberg Era , where there appears to be a disturbance of some sort. It seems as though several local celebrities have gotten into some kind of a shouting match. Let's go to live video:

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

200.gif

OdmL.gif

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

I can't quite understand what everybody is objecting to, but we will continue to monitor the situation, and provide any updates as they happen. Back to you, @DATSOMATIC13 !

Just to add one... Reaction to Yzerman picking Rossi at #4 will be

tenor.gif

Reactions: Tetsuo

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
The last thing I really have to say before the draft is this:

This team needs superstars more than anything. The team is full of strong organizational depth at most positions. Larkin, Bertuzzi, and Mantha are all legitimate first line players, and Zadina looks like he could be as well. Hronek looks like he
may be a top pairing defenseman. Perhaps Seider can be as well. The team has a lot of strong guys who look like they can fill out the rest of the roster like McIsaac, Grewe, Berggren, Lindstrom, Smith, Veleno, Rasmussen, etc.

But what the team lacks is a superstar. It’s what made the lottery day as frustrating as it was. So whoever we take on Tuesday has to develop into an elite player. Most of our preferences here are that we take Perfetti or Raymond, and I’m right there with you all, but none of us are scouts. Whoever the team takes, it has to be the correct pick. Our rebuild is really depending on it. Ditto for next year.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The last thing I really have to say before the draft is this:

This team needs superstars more than anything. The team is full of strong organizational depth at most positions. Larkin, Bertuzzi, and Mantha are all legitimate first line players, and Zadina looks like he could be as well. Hronek looks like he
may be a top pairing defenseman. Perhaps Seider can be as well. The team has a lot of strong guys who look like they can fill out the rest of the roster like McIsaac, Grewe, Berggren, Lindstrom, Smith, Veleno, Rasmussen, etc.

But what the team lacks is a superstar. It’s what made the lottery day as frustrating as it was. So whoever we take on Tuesday has to develop into an elite player. Most of our preferences here are that we take Perfetti or Raymond, and I’m right there with you all, but none of us are scouts. Whoever the team takes, it has to be the correct pick. Our rebuild is really depending on it. Ditto for next year.
I could not have said it better myself. Raymond and Perfetti are my top choices as well. There are a few others I could live with, but if Detroit takes somebody that has more safety than ceiling, I'll be upset. The Wings desperately need a home run here.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I could not have said it better myself. Raymond and Perfetti are my top choices as well. There are a few others I could live with, but if Detroit takes somebody that has more safety than ceiling, I'll be upset. The Wings desperately need a home run here.

Well if they take a Rossi or a Sanderson, okay, fine, then they better develop into a better player compared to everyone else taken after pick 4.

Reactions: jkutswings

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Cormier off to a hot start. Bit small but draws comparisons to none other than Torey Krug. Definitely interested but would have to be at 32 I think and who knows who will be available there. Mantha and Zadina would absolutely tee off on his setups IMO it'd be a good fit. If we get him later in the 2nd, woohoo!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad