Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread: Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Would you project any of those kids over Kirby Dach? I wanted Dach last draft, but also happy we took Seider.
Personally I’d take stutzle and byfield over dach but I’d be nervous about it lol

I think all three have 1c potential with 3c floors

edit: dach byfield and stutzle that is.

Reactions: hkydave04

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
We need to get dynamic player and if Drysdale or Ryland going to be like that and play well with national team , we should get him, just like Seider and Huges were

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
kinda tough to draft a guy who’s off the board when you’re picking..

He wasn't off the board when I wanted him, hell we didn't even know where we were picking when I wanted him. Why do you suggest he was off the board before the draft even happened?

I want Laf this draft, can I say that or is he off the board already?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Would you project any of those kids over Kirby Dach? I wanted Dach last draft, but also happy we took Seider.

I’ll start by saying at this point, I think I would take Byfield over Dach, based on having a higher ceiling. But at this moment, I would take Dach over Stutzle. I always came away so impressed with how Dach dictated the tempo of the game. I know Stutzle is a world class skater, and that’s never something to scoff at, but sometimes I wonder if he’s too much of a rush reliant threat to add a new dimension to our prospect group.

Edit: and this isn’t to say that Stutzle is a bad option in the top 4, but I want to build a team on a massive foundation that touches on multiple styles of play. I think it’s the best way to be a timeless franchise that can withstand trends in the NHL.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I’ll start by saying at this point, I think I would take Byfield over Dach, based on having a higher ceiling. But at this moment, I would take Dach over Stutzle. I always came away so impressed with how Dach dictated the tempo of the game. I know Stutzle is a world class skater, and that’s never something to scoff at, but sometimes I wonder if he’s too much of a rush reliant threat to add a new dimension to our prospect group.

Dach has looked really solid this year but I think at this time of the draft (or at this point for Stutzle), Stutzle is considered a better prospect. Dach had some legit consistency issues in the WHL, and while hes young and flashed some skill in the NHL I dont think hes proven that hes not that player yet.

Like I said, hes young but speaking of consistency he has 8 of his 19 points in October of this season. He followed that up with 1 point in 15 games in November and 4 points his next 25 games. I want to see him be consistent before I make any claims about him. I still dont know if I would trade Seider straight up for him right now

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Dach has looked really solid this year but I think at this time of the draft (or at this point for Stutzle), Stutzle is considered a better prospect. Dach had some legit consistency issues in the WHL, and while hes young and flashed some skill in the NHL I dont think hes proven that hes not that player yet.

Like I said, hes young but speaking of consistency he has 8 of his 19 points in October of this season. He followed that up with 1 point in 15 games in November and 4 points his next 25 games. I want to see him be consistent before I make any claims about him. I still dont know if I would trade Seider straight up for him right now

I don’t think willingness to trade Seider factors into this at all, because I wouldn’t trade Seider for Stutzle either.

I think what you’re seeing with Dach is Michael Rasmussen all over again. The difference is that Dach is better in his D+1 than Rasmussen was in his D+2. Dach’s game would be best served in the AHL this year, but the agreement is restricting another player’s development. Seider and Zadina (soon to be Stutzle) were at an advantage due to their import or international status. The team who drafted them (who will draft) were at an advantage because they could assess the perfect spot for them to end up in their D+1 year.

As for who is the better prospect, I think it depends how comfortable you are in your projections of them as players. I think it’s easy to look at Dach’s inconsistency as an 18 year old in a secondary role for an NHL team and conclude it to be cloudy, meanwhile Stutzle is playing professional hockey in a significantly weaker league but having success in a major role and that becomes easier to praise.

In the end I don’t think there is much that separates them as caliber of prospects, just personal preference.

Reactions: hkydave04

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I don’t think willingness to trade Seider factors into this at all, because I wouldn’t trade Seider for Stutzle either.

I think what you’re seeing with Dach is Michael Rasmussen all over again. The difference is that Dach is better in his D+1 than Rasmussen was in his D+2. Dach’s game would be best served in the AHL this year, but the agreement is restricting another player’s development. Seider and Zadina (soon to be Stutzle) were at an advantage due to their import or international status. The team who drafted them (who will draft) were at an advantage because they could assess the perfect spot for them to end up in their D+1 year.

As for who is the better prospect, I think it depends how comfortable you are in your projections of them as players. I think it’s easy to look at Dach’s inconsistency as an 18 year old in a secondary role for an NHL team and conclude it to be cloudy, meanwhile Stutzle is playing professional hockey in a significantly weaker league but having success in a major role and that becomes easier to praise.

In the end I don’t think there is much that separates them as caliber of prospects, just personal preference.

I'm not just talking about his numbers in the NHL as a young guy though. Go back and read draft threads, I watched a tonne of Dach last season because I thought he would be a wings target and I talked about his consistently a lot. One game you would have the best player on the ice, the next it wasl ike he forgot youre allowed to forecheck. He had a stretch of play last year where he had 1 point in 11 games. I didnt watch any of those games but I watched enough of his other games to know his game to game consistency wasnt there.

If Stutzle and especially Byfield are in last years draft, I have no doubt in my mind they go ahead of Dach. Could you imagine going 11 games with one point this year? Even Stutzle, one point in 11 games against pros seems ridiculous to even think about. I'm not talking about now who is better as a prospect because I think Dach has improved his stock compared to the draft last year by playing well against NHLers. But at the time of the draft for them all, Byfield and Stutzle are definitely ahead. Dach was actually a bit of a surprise at 3 last season and wasnt talked about being picked there until close to the actual draft day

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I'm not just talking about his numbers in the NHL as a young guy though. Go back and read draft threads, I watched a tonne of Dach last season because I thought he would be a wings target and I talked about his consistently a lot. One game you would have the best player on the ice, the next it wasl ike he forgot youre allowed to forecheck. He had a stretch of play last year where he had 1 point in 11 games. I didnt watch any of those games but I watched enough of his other games to know his game to game consistency wasnt there.

If Stutzle and especially Byfield are in last years draft, I have no doubt in my mind they go ahead of Dach. Could you imagine going 11 games with one point this year? Even Stutzle, one point in 11 games against pros seems ridiculous to even think about. I'm not talking about now who is better as a prospect because I think Dach has improved his stock compared to the draft last year by playing well against NHLers. But at the time of the draft for them all, Byfield and Stutzle are definitely ahead. Dach was actually a bit of a surprise at 3 last season and wasnt talked about being picked there until close to the actual draft day

Maybe a surprise to you. Dach was in my discussion at 3 for pretty much the entire draft season.

I do agree that if Dach in his draft season was going up against Stutzle or Byfield in their draft seasons, the consensus would have Dach as the third off the board. That being said, the perception of the players in their draft cycles has little to do with who I would pick in the moment.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Maybe a surprise to you. Dach was in my discussion at 3 for pretty much the entire draft season.

I do agree that if Dach in his draft season was going up against Stutzle or Byfield in their draft seasons, the consensus would have Dach as the third off the board. That being said, the perception of the players in their draft cycles has little to do with who I would pick in the moment.

Yeah Dach was always in conversations for number 3 because it was kinda wide open with a bunch of players. It was a surprise he went above Byram and there were plenty of guys projected to be about the same as Dach going forward. Turcotte was mostly projected ahead of him as well.

The only way to compare these guys when talking about the draft is to talk about in their draft years so thats why I was doing it. At draft time hes definitely third off the board

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Dach was projected to go somewhere between 4 and 8 by most credible rankings. Great pick and I believe he could be a future 1C. I have Byfield's ceiling somewhere between 1C and 2C.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Dach was projected to go somewhere between 4 and 8 by most credible rankings. Great pick and I believe he could be a future 1C. I have Byfield's ceiling somewhere between 1C and 2C.

i remember Dach and Cozens were being debated at #3 all year, and then Turcotte and Byram rose a lot toward the end

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
To bring this back on topic...

If I was making a draft list not specifically for Detroit, I am tempted to put Drysdale at 3 every time. I actually think he has the least question marks of any prospect after Lafreniere/Byfield. Making the Canada WJC squad at 17 (as a defenseman) is damn impressive, and he held his own.

Christien

May 1, 2010

If I was making a draft list not specifically for Detroit, I am tempted to put Drysdale at 3 every time. I actually think he has the least question marks of any prospect after Lafreniere/Byfield. Making the Canada WJC squad at 17 (as a defenseman) is damn impressive, and he held his own.

I'm a huge Drysdale fan and wouldn't mind it in the slightest if we ended up going with him.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019

I’d love drysdale. I like him better than Byram last year. Many pundits agree that’s the case as well.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Former #2 pick in the Q Bantam draft. Really strong skater, but thin and raw physically. Saw him last year when trying to see more of Cajkovic after he dominated the Hlinka. Was the only other player doing anything positive on that team lol.

Guessing he had a big off-season in the gym because he is now playing big minutes for them, and they have gone from worst to first. Have read that he is playing with a lot more confidence this year. Will be curious to see what his measurements are at the combine. Could see him creeping into the 1st round with the lack of depth at defenseman this year, but if not I like him in round 2 or 3.

Kind of reminds me of that kid we liked a few years ago... Allard?
Adam Almquist?

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Yeah I'd have no problem with Drysdale as early as 2. Personally I'm a big Stutzle fan so he's supplanted Byfield for me. My tiers are changing from
S :La

A: Byfield

B: Stutzle, Raymond, Drysdale, Rossi, Holtz, Perfetti
To
S: Laf

A Stutzle, Byfield, Drysdale

B: Raymond, Rossi, etc.

As you say, I love how complete Drysdale feels. Not as flashy as the analogous players from the last few drafts, but I think he's the most consistent defensively (on draft night) of Makar, Boqvist, Hughes, and Byram while still being just as good transitioning as the rest of them. Some of these guys have had crazy success so that's an unfair bar for Drysdale, but now that I've watched him more, he's maybe my favorite from that crew at this age (I was a big Boqvist and Byram fan though so it's tight.)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

He is rising for me, there isn't a single moment of tape I don't like on him.

I know we are good on the right, but he is my debate with Stutzle and Raymond. I know you're a Perfetti guy and some are buying Rossi.

I of course could find the time for Askarov but am willing to go with maybe they won't sink that asset in terms of 1-4. I would love to sell AA (if he survives the deadline) and a prospect (Svech or Cholo if they are giving up on them) to get back in the teens if Askarov is there. That would be my dream draft I just don't think he falls that far.

Anyway I think that is really where I am at. I don't mind Perfetti or Rossi, I am not a Holtz guy or Lundell in our spot. But yeah if I throw out that we all like Hronek and Seider and actually just say who do I think is the best Drysdale reminds me of the recent puckmovers I like a ton. Makar and Hughes, guys that just chew up the ice with ease and make high IQ read after high IQ read flawlessly.

If Laf and Byfield are gone, I think Drysdale probably has the most star potential outside of Askarov left in the draft if the big 2 are gone.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Dream scenario, we draft lafreniere and askarov falls in the draft. we use our plethora of 2nds+ to trade back into the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad