Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread: Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Sure, my point is, you don’t know Steve Yzerman draft board (or any teams for that matter) so you can’t say with any degree of certainty he didn’t draft for bpa.

Edit: I wanted Zegras. That doesn’t mean the wings didn’t draft bpa.

No, but I can suspect.
Every year, centers, especially go high.

Reportedly, the Wings didn't trade down because they knew Edmonton would draft Seider. Edmonton instead drafted Broberg. So it seems pretty clear Edmonton, at least, was intent on drafting defense.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
No, but I can suspect.
Every year, centers, especially go high.

Reportedly, the Wings didn't trade down because they knew Edmonton would draft Seider. Edmonton instead drafted Broberg. So it seems pretty clear Edmonton, at least, was intent on drafting defense.
Again, Edmonton very easily could have had a tier that included 5-10 players They thought all had equal upside and took the defenseman.

I’m just saying, it’s impossible to know these guys strategies without seeing their draft board based on upside and looking at who they picked.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Brock put out a great article about prospects from this years draft from the OHL. Includes scouting reports on all the guys as well as rankings.

OHL Prospects: Midseason Media/Scout Poll for 2020
“Of course, the Ottawa broadcaster will have the Ottawa 67 ranked 1st, but I don’t think this is just a ‘homer’ rank. Rossi leads the OHL in scoring, his plus minus, while a flawed stat, could be record setting this year but beyond the numbers, he is just a phenomenal hockey player. You name it and Marco Rossi has it; straight line speed is above average, he is extremely shifty in the corners, his strength is severely underrated, it is very difficult to knock him off the puck and he has a chippy side to his game. Defense is just as good as good as his offense; you won’t see him cheating in the defensive zone to try and create offense. 67’s GM James Boyd compared his game to Patrice Bergeron, I see a lot of Pavel Datsyuk in his game as well. Aside from his size there is zero downside to Rossi.” - Kenny Walls
Obviously the Ottawa PBP guy is a bit of a homer, but this is a pretty appealing take.

and then this one:

“Marco is a force right now. He’s dominant shift-to-shift in all three zones and probably the best two-way player in junior hockey. He’s not just going to stay at centre at the NHL level, he’s going to excel there. I can’t say enough about the kid — I’m not worried about his size at all.” - Anonymous

I think it's fair to say that evaluators who like Rossi really like him.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

Kid has 35 pts in 34 games in the MHL, and he doesn’t turn 18 until the end of July.

I'd have no problem taking him with our 2nd if he was available, but I'm hoping he falls to our later 2nd our 3rd. He and Ovchinnikov are two of my favorite Russians in this years draft.

Obviously the Ottawa PBP guy is a bit of a homer, but this is a pretty appealing take.

and then this one:

I think there were a number of people who had him 3rd too. I think he's going to be an interesting player to follow development wise as he has had an interesting career arc thus far. He's been an elite scorer at every level he has played in and has played in so many different leagues that I really think he just has "it". That 2nd tier in this year's draft is so talented that you really couldn't go wrong with whoever you went with.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I'd have no problem taking him with our 2nd if he was available, but I'm hoping he falls to our later 2nd our 3rd. He and Ovchinnikov are two of my favorite Russians in this years draft.

I think there were a number of people who had him 3rd too. I think he's going to be an interesting player to follow development wise as he has had an interesting career arc thus far. He's been an elite scorer at every level he has played in and has played in so many different leagues that I really think he just has "it". That 2nd tier in this year's draft is so talented that you really couldn't go wrong with whoever you went with.
Pashin is 5'7" probably available in 5 or 6 round

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Pashin is 5'7" probably available in 5 or 6 round

That's probably what will happen, I'd have never though that Dorofeyev would fall to the 3rd so I could see Pashin falling too. He's just someone that wouldn't be a reach in the early 2nd due to his skill so should he fall he's well positioned to be a "steal" in a number of years.

ThePuckStopsHere

Aug 9, 2019
I just have a feeling it’s going to be Rossi at #4 and O’Rourke at the top of the 2nd round.

And the more I read about Rossi the more I like him. He might be the real sleeper pick of the lottery. If he really is the best 2 way center in the OHL I would be happy to have him.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I just have a feeling it’s going to be Rossi at #4 and O’Rourke at the top of the 2nd round.

And the more I read about Rossi the more I like him. He might be the real sleeper pick of the lottery. If he really is the best 2 way center in the OHL I would be happy to have him.
Yeah, I think Yzerman could surprise us with Rossi or Perfetti. I can see him liking both and would be surprised with them at 4, though not disappointed.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

and then this one:

I really don't agree with having Rossi above Perfetti. I think Rossi is the better OHL player, but Perfetti projects better as a pro player. I could be wrong though.

Brock put out a great article about prospects from this years draft from the OHL. Includes scouting reports on all the guys as well as rankings.

OHL Prospects: Midseason Media/Scout Poll for 2020

Those comments are pretty much exactly how I feel about Byfield and Drysdale.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I really don't agree with having Rossi above Perfetti. I think Rossi is the better OHL player, but Perfetti projects better as a pro player. I could be wrong though.
The thing about Rossi is I think he could be another Datsyuk. But I could also see him being another Christian Dube.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The thing about Rossi is I think he could be another Datsyuk. But I could also see him being another Christian Dube.

Jordan Schroeder is the guy I think of, which is giving me some pause with Rossi.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
If we're top-3, it better be one of Lafreniere/Byfield/Stutzle, and in that order. If we're drafting outside the top-3, then Yzerman has my blessing to draft whatever he wants. So at #4, I'm cool with any one of Raymond/Drysdale/Holtz/Perfetti/Rossi/etc.

Reactions: Killerjas

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Jordan Schroeder is the guy I think of, which is giving me some pause with Rossi.

I don't get that comparison. What did you have in mind? I think Rossi will be a really good NHLer, I am just not sold on him playing center in the NHL. If he was a truly high-end center I would probably buy the hype a bit more.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't get that comparison. What did you have in mind? I think Rossi will be a really good NHLer, I am just not sold on him playing center in the NHL. If he was a truly high-end center I would probably buy the hype a bit more.

Might not be remembering right since it was 08.

But he was also billed as an undersized playmaker, similar build (stocky and had a strong core) similar to how Rossi is described. Super productive player in juniors but his game never translated up a level.

https://thehockeywriters.com/9-jordan-schroeder-the-hockey-spy’s-2009-nhl-entry-draft-rankings/

^ that sounds just like Rossi to me? Let me know how you think they’re different. I want to like Rossi, I just have this gut feeling with him... I don’t know.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No to Rossi and Raymond at 4. Holtz at 4 all-day. He's the second best offensive player in this draft.

I mean I like goalscorers as much as the next guy, but someone has to get these guys the puck.

I would be against Holtz over Raymond and Perfetti, personally.

Reactions: Darkseider
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad