Status
Not open for further replies.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Lafrienere would make zadina a 50 goal scorer

That seems wildly optomistic. Doesn't look like he's setting up any 50-goal men in juniors. But he's going to turn Zadina, who has shown no indications of being that kind of player, into a superstar goal scorer?
Just as a point of reference.
There are 3 NHLers with a decent shot at 50 this year. Ovechkin. Matthews. Pastrnak.
None of those guys were "turned into 50 goal men" by someone else.
There were 2 last year. Ovechkin and Draisaitl. And even though Draisaitl plays with McDavid, I think it's pretty clear that Drai is an immense talent in his own right.

It's been a long time since someone "turned" another NHLer into a 50-goal guy. Cheechoo maybe?

Christien

May 1, 2010
Interesting thing from Ottawa 67's GM here about Rossi:

“And the thing is he doesn’t cheat, so as the game goes along, he takes over. The No. 1 thing for me is his skating — which was a concern for some people — is phenomenal. He’s just continued to improve. He is obsessed with getting better. Some guys are interested in getting better, he’s obsessed. If I told him to eat a pound of sunflower seeds every day because it would help him get to the NHL, he’d be right on it. It’s only going to continue. You hear this sort of stuff about Sidney Crosby or Shea Weber when they were juniors, it’s almost like a disorder, the striving to get better. I see the same thing in Marco, nothing’s going to stop him.”

I took that quote from Wheeler's midseason rankings on the Athletic. He also says that he thinks that Drysdale is a better player than Byram was at the same age, yet has him ranked 8th on his list.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Oh I was just pointing it out. I disagree with him. Thought his list released today was oddish

Not a fan, he knew pretty much nothing about Seider last year.

I try to stick to hockeyprospect.com and Bob’s list. Button and Pronman are OK, but 1 person lists are always going to give you a narrow scope.

Reactions: Christien

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Interesting thing from Ottawa 67's GM here about Rossi:

I took that quote from Wheeler's midseason rankings on the Athletic. He also says that he thinks that Drysdale is a better player than Byram was at the same age, yet has him ranked 8th on his list.

Read the same thing. He has been doing well. Also of note, he's an import, so he might be able to go to the pros next year(if he's on loan)

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
No to Rossi and Raymond at 4. Holtz at 4 all-day. He's the second best offensive player in this draft.

At a certain point, someone has to possess the puck and find our players in a position to score. Raymond and Perfetti are right up there next to Lafreniere in terms of intelligence and hockey sense. They have a knack for creating stuff that others in the draft class just don’t. They see things a step or two ahead, or they see lanes that others can’t.

Holtz is a step back in that area. Honestly, Holtz is what people proclaimed Zadina to be as a big time goal scorer. He is more reliant on his shot and less of a playmaker than Zadina, in my opinion. Holtz very well could be the best goal scorer in the draft, and I wouldn’t argue anyone who took that stance. But, his skill set doesn’t attack our biggest vacancy. Someone who can hold the puck and pick apart a defensive structure. Who can get to high danger spots, get the puck to high danger spots. Create weaknesses and gaps in coverage.

All that being said, I think we have the best Swedish scout to have ever done it, and I give Hakan a free pass to make the assessment of exactly how good Raymond or Holtz will be. As long as his list starts with Lafreniere, he can put those two Swedes wherever he pleases from 2 to 200.

roman star

ready to march
Feb 17, 2019
if laf and by are gone i dont doubt yzerman goes drysdale to get the very important defense solidified even if he is a rightie

Reactions: ProbertKocur

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Wouldn’t be surprised. That’s what’s interesting about this draft to me, if we pick 2nd there are about 7 guys that wouldn’t surprise me there.

Honestly, it seems like if we're picking 2-4 we're getting a pretty god damn good player. I'd love to see Laf in a Wings jersey next year but I'm going in assuming we're going to lose the draft lottery. If we end up with Byfield, Stutzle, Drysdale, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, hell even Perfetti I'm not going to be upset..

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Honestly, it seems like if we're picking 2-4 we're getting a pretty god damn good player. I'd love to see Laf in a Wings jersey next year but I'm going in assuming we're going to lose the draft lottery. If we end up with Byfield, Stutzle, Drysdale, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, hell even Perfetti I'm not going to be upset..
Agree 100% I wouldn’t cry about lundel either.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
2 defenseman I like have been lighting it up over the last month.
  • Mitchell Miller (who was a standout for USA at the Hlinka last year) has 21 pts in his last 10 games in the USHL.
  • William Villenueve has 11 pts in his last 7 games in the Q.
They could both be a good option in round 2. Both are RH.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We don't know how Lundell will be progressing, but he's out of our reach

Lundell is progressing very well and don't be surpriced if he is picked at Top5.

His weakest month was October and when he did get injured in early November (was just heating up before injury) and missed the WJC in December, it has affected on his ranks.

But Ranks are not his development.

After he returned in January, every area on his game has been getting better and better. Scoring, defence, faceoffs, etc. He is getting more Ice-Time (few times +20min) and his team HIFK is clearly benefitting of this as they starting to play like they were expected before the season.

Lundell just had his best month at Faceoffs, with 55.7%, weakest was that September 51.7%.

His season average is 53.4%.

Also know that when Lundell was heating up in Early November, Yzerman and all Red Wings staff including Andersson were scouting him here in Finland. So they know what he is. If he is our guy, he is our guy.

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
2 defenseman I like have been lighting it up over the last month.
  • Mitchell Miller (who was a standout for USA at the Hlinka last year) has 21 pts in his last 10 games in the USHL.
  • William Villenueve has 11 pts in his last 7 games in the Q.
They could both be a good option in round 2. Both are RH.

Miller is a pretty good round 3+ option. What can you tell us about Villenueve? I only know him by name.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Lundell is progressing very well and don't be surpriced if he is picked at Top5.

His weakest month was October and when he did get injured in early November (was just heating up before injury) and missed the WJC in December, it has affected on his ranks.

But Ranks are not his development.

After he returned in January, every area on his game has been getting better and better. Scoring, defence, faceoffs, etc. He is getting more Ice-Time (few times +20min) and his team HIFK is clearly benefitting of this as they starting to play like they were expected before the season.

Lundell just had his best month at Faceoffs, with 55.7%, weakest was that September 51.7%.

His season average is 53.4%.

Also know that when Lundell was heating up in Early November, Yzerman and all Red Wings staff including Andersson were scouting him here in Finland. So they know what he is. If he is our guy, he is our guy.
But we are drafting between 1 and 4 , I believe

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Miller is a pretty good round 3+ option. What can you tell us about Villenueve? I only know him by name.

Former #2 pick in the Q Bantam draft. Really strong skater, but thin and raw physically. Saw him last year when trying to see more of Cajkovic after he dominated the Hlinka. Was the only other player doing anything positive on that team lol.

Guessing he had a big off-season in the gym because he is now playing big minutes for them, and they have gone from worst to first. Have read that he is playing with a lot more confidence this year. Will be curious to see what his measurements are at the combine. Could see him creeping into the 1st round with the lack of depth at defenseman this year, but if not I like him in round 2 or 3.

Kind of reminds me of that kid we liked a few years ago... Allard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad