Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread: Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I know you are big into stats, so explain to me how a defenseman that put up .65 ppg would not be surprising if taken at 3/4, when nowadays pretty much any defenseman that goes top 10 is putting up a PPG or better.

I don’t mind Sanderson as a player, but this is like the ultimate projection pick, and you tend to not make those in the top 3-4 of a draft. Jamie Drysdale is a significantly better player now, and I am a lot more comfortable with his range of outcomes. Taking Sanderson over Drysdale would be both shocking and upsetting to me.

I would be upset about it for sure, but then again I have Sanderson in my top 10. Reminds me of Jaccob Slavin.

He was the best player on the ice in the February five nations tournament and one of the best prospects in the world for what we did see in 2020. A lot of what is driving up his demand happened from January through the stoppage. I understand that being concerning, but he was on a big rise, I think he more than just about any other player was hurt by the U-18 cancellation given his form.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would be upset about it for sure, but then again I have Sanderson in my top 10. Reminds me of Jaccob Slavin.

He was the best player on the ice in the February five nations tournament and one of the best prospects in the world for what we did see in 2020. A lot of what is driving up his demand happened from January through the stoppage. I understand that being concerning, but he was on a big rise, I think he more than just about any other player was hurt by the U-18 cancellation given his form.

He reminds me more of someone like Werenski, honestly. I see the appeal with this kid, I just feel he is a touch overrated because of the lack of options after Drysdale this year, and how young he is (with the assumed room for improvement).

I think he probably gets taken somewhere 6-10, it just would be a little rich for my blood given his lack of resume thus far. I know the US coaches talk very highly of him, but if I’m investing a top 5 pick I would have wanted to see more of that show up consistently.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He reminds me more of someone like Werenski, honestly. I see the appeal with this kid, I just feel he is a touch overrated because of the lack of options after Drysdale this year, and how young he is (with the assumed room for improvement).

I think he probably gets taken somewhere 6-10, it just would be a little rich for my blood given his lack of resume this far. I know the US coaches talk very highly of him, but if I’m investing a top 5 pick I would have wanted to see more of that show up consistently.

I mean I have him 10th and I am not picking him over Drysdale.

But lets put it this way to those screaming about it, I personally have him higher than Rossi... So that would tell you my reaction to Rossi at #4.

I don't even really have him all that different than Perfetti and Holtz in terms of where that debate started at 10. So I can see why teams have him in that range. Smooth skating guy that can defend. I think when people get down on Guhle and Sanderson for being just good defensively and not enough offensively it is trying to develop tools in an opposite way we are used to and I understand that pause. I would point out Seider is an example of knowing a guy is a rock defensively and liking his tools offensively enough to believe you can develop that side of the puck. Is it harder? Sure I think it is, but it doesn't mean I pass on a guy with the right makeup.

I think Drysdale is the clear cut best D-man in this draft though, no doubt there. If we are picking at 4 and going D and he is there, well he has to be your guy.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I mean I have him 10th and I am not picking him over Drysdale.

But lets put it this way to those screaming about it, I personally have him higher than Rossi... So that would tell you my reaction to Rossi at #4.

I don't even really have him all that different than Perfetti and Holtz in terms of where that debate started at 10. So I can see why teams have him in that range. Smooth skating guy that can defend. I think when people get down on Guhle and Sanderson for being just good defensively and not enough offensively it is trying to develop tools in an opposite way we are used to and I understand that pause. I would point out Seider is an example of knowing a guy is a rock defensively and liking his tools offensively enough to believe you can develop that side of the puck. Is it harder? Sure I think it is, but it doesn't mean I pass on a guy with the right makeup.

I think Drysdale is the clear cut best D-man in this draft though, no doubt there. If we are picking at 4 and going D and he is there, well he has to be your guy.

Guhle and Sanderson are not the same type of defenseman at all to me. I think Sanderson is an offensive D through and through at the next level.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Not sure if he has been mentioned in this thread, but I would love it if the Red Wings took a flyer on Maximilian Glötzl at eliteprospects.com with one of their later picks.
Obviously he is no Moritz Seider, but there is a ton of potential with the guy and I think he would have been ranked much higher by many scouts if the U18 WJC had not been cancelled. He got a bit overshadowed in Germany by Stutzle, Reichel and Peterka but I think he is just as talented as the latter two, though his development may take a little longer.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I know you are big into stats, so explain to me how a defenseman that put up .65 ppg would not be surprising if taken at 3/4, when nowadays pretty much any defenseman that goes top 10 is putting up a PPG or better.

I don’t mind Sanderson as a player, but this is like the ultimate projection pick, and you tend to not make those in the top 3-4 of a draft. Jamie Drysdale is a significantly better player now, and I am a lot more comfortable with his range of outcomes. Taking Sanderson over Drysdale would be both shocking and upsetting to me.

I definitely wouldn't take Sanderson top 3.
If the Wings draft 4th, I've not really considered anyone beyond the top 3 to seriously thus far, so I can't speak to that.

But I'm not talking about what I'd do.
I'm saying, Stevie Y isn't afraid to go off the board.
Seider wasn't a point per game. Not even close. But he was playing German pro.
Koekkok wasn't either.

Yzerman isn't afraid to throw curves.
Given our situation at goalie and LD, I can easily see him using a #4 pick on Sanderson or Askaraov.

I personally wouldn't, I don't think.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

If all 15 can win the top pick, that's total BS. Get a free playoff run and then also get a chance at the top pick. I'd like some free stuff too, please.

My guess is that teams that sold off assets to tank wanted nothing to do with the playoffs. So I get why they wouldn't agree to get removed from the lottery.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If the Wings draft 4th, I've not really considered anyone beyond the top 3 to seriously thus far, so I can't speak to that.

Koekkok wasn't either.

Given our situation at goalie and LD, I can easily see him using a #4 pick on Sanderson or Askaraov.

its fine with me to get Sanderson or Askarov with #4 pick , but it have to be trade down

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

If all 15 can win the top pick, that's total BS. Get a free playoff run and then also get a chance at the top pick. I'd like some free stuff too, please.

Yeah I think the odds will be reworked to see those 7 teams get a bigger piece of the pie than before, or they will go with something similar to the old rules where only one team can win or can only jump 4 spots. I doubt they get the same chance as before and a chance at the playoffs

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Not sure if he has been mentioned in this thread, but I would love it if the Red Wings took a flyer on Maximilian Glötzl at eliteprospects.com with one of their later picks.
Obviously he is no Moritz Seider, but there is a ton of potential with the guy and I think he would have been ranked much higher by many scouts if the U18 WJC had not been cancelled. He got a bit overshadowed in Germany by Stutzle, Reichel and Peterka but I think he is just as talented as the latter two, though his development may take a little longer.

I have seen him play, don't see the hype. People are hyping him up because he is German and he can potentially be best buddies with Seider. I just don't see a lot of potential in him. Atleast not NHL level of potential.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I have seen him play, don't see the hype. People are hyping him up because he is German and he can potentially be best buddies with Seider. I just don't see a lot of potential in him. Atleast not NHL level of potential.

Then you need to watch him some more. Just kidding, but I do disagree.
He is a project sure, but the upside is there. He is clearly better than Leon Gawanke was at the same age and he has had a pretty good rookie season in the AHL.

I think you underestimate Glotzl's potential a lot. But that's ok. We all see these things differently and in 5-6 years we should know who got this one right.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think Sanderson is a two-way minute eater.

I like the skating on both guys.

I think Sanderson is another Bret Hedican kind of defender. Good skating that makes up for mistakes, decent size, decent outlet pass. At worst a Trevor Daley. The kind of guy whose skating SHOULD make him a threat offensively but for whatever reason he's not. He's probably ranked 5-10 spots higher than he would in a draft with an average defense crop, but this year is very light on defensemen.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Someone posted this in the Tim Stutzle thread on the prospect forum. I think it's pretty amazing how an 18 year old has tilted the ice so much in a men's pro league. I'm going to stick with my earlier suggestion of picking Stutzle 2nd/3rd, Reichel 32nd and Peterka with a late 2nd if he's available.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Someone posted this in the Tim Stutzle thread on the prospect forum. I think it's pretty amazing how an 18 year old has tilted the ice so much in a men's pro league. I'm going to stick with my earlier suggestion of picking Stutzle 2nd/3rd, Reichel 32nd and Peterka with a late 2nd if he's available.

I like all of them, but we don't have enough second round picks, we still need to improve our defense .

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Koekkok wasn't either.

The higher you draft, the less likely you are going to see curves. There is usually a consensus top 3-5, and then teams are going to vary with what guys they like. So at the #6 or #10 pick, you are more likely to see someone go "off the board".

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Makes me wonder why he did not score more with all those quality looks?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I think JJ Peterka winds up being taken late first.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I hope he will, we need to get the best available defenseman at #32

We don't "need" to do anything at 32. That is how mistakes are made. If the forwards available at 32 are clearly better than the defensemen available, you absolutely need to take a forward there. This is a weak class of defensemen. People need to stop trying to fix our defense with this draft class.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We don't "need" to do anything at 32. That is how mistakes are made. If the forwards available at 32 are clearly better than the defensemen available, you absolutely need to take a forward there. This is a weak class of defensemen. People need to stop trying to fix our defense with this draft class.

Pretty much this. This is obviously a great forward draft, relatively to both Goalies and D.

I could go easily taking 3 forwards with our first 1+2+2 round picks.

Then some goalie + another forwards with the DET+SJS 3rd rounders. If you are gonna take a goalie, you have to take your goalie at this point, because they are gone always at this phase of the draft.

Then maybe look some D with the last 4 picks, but still would draft more forwards, depending on the talents.

At 2021 draft, would be 90% ready to take a defenceman with the 1st pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad