Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread: Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Makes me wonder why he did not score more with all those quality looks?

Apparently those heat zones are compared to the league average and not of his team so Stutzle playing on the powerhouse team inflates his heat map I read. A lor of his teammates would have similar heat maps because of the team they play on

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
The higher you draft, the less likely you are going to see curves. There is usually a consensus top 3-5, and then teams are going to vary with what guys they like. So at the #6 or #10 pick, you are more likely to see someone go "off the board".

You may be right.
But like I said. McKeen's and Recrutes just put Sanderson in their top 5.
Let's see where Sanderson sits when the rest come out.

Recrutes is pretty small.
McKeen's is well known.
If HockeyProspect and some of the others follow suit, it won't be so off the board.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
He reminds me more of someone like Werenski, honestly. I see the appeal with this kid, I just feel he is a touch overrated because of the lack of options after Drysdale this year, and how young he is (with the assumed room for improvement).

I think he probably gets taken somewhere 6-10, it just would be a little rich for my blood given his lack of resume thus far. I know the US coaches talk very highly of him, but if I’m investing a top 5 pick I would have wanted to see more of that show up consistently.

I wasn't that impressed with Drysdale and don't see the Makar comparison much.
I haven't seen much of Sanderson, but I remember the way his dad skated.
Sanderson is like 6'1 and reportedly skates like his dad.
Recrutes is way high on him, suggesting he could be the best player in the draft in five years times.

In their "best of lists" Sanderson ranks
2nd best skater (comparable to heiskanen)
Best defensive defenseman.

Given his rise on the only "final" lists I sub to, it's hard for me to ignore.
Given our need for a LHD...

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Apparently those heat zones are compared to the league average and not of his team so Stutzle playing on the powerhouse team inflates his heat map I read. A lor of his teammates would have similar heat maps because of the team they play on

Maybe Stutzle's powerhouse of a team might also be as good as they are because Stutzle is a very good player?

Facts: He was 24th in league points per game and was the top rookie scorer as an 18 year old. He plays in a much lower scoring adult league than Canadian major junior prospects he's compared to. Additionally, if you watch some DEL games, WJC games, or even just highlight reels of Stutzle you'll see he is almost always the primary puck carrier on the ice for his team.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Maybe Stutzle's powerhouse of a team might also be as good as they are because Stutzle is a very good player?

Facts: He was 24th in league points per game and was the top rookie scorer as an 18 year old. He plays in a much lower scoring adult league than Canadian major junior prospects he's compared to. Additionally, if you watch some DEL games, WJC games, or even just highlight reels of Stutzle you'll see he is almost always the primary puck carrier on the ice for his team.

This just reads incredibly blinded. You could lead the Stutzle fan club.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I’m assuming the additional eight will only be able to move up a few spots and not jump to the top of the draft. That’s the only thing stopping me from raging lol

Everything that has been indicated is that they are drawing winners for picks 1-2-3 the same way they always have.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
"And with the first overall pick in the 2020 NHL entry draft, Chicago Blackhawks are proud to select..."

Le sigh....

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Yeah reading further this seems to be the case. Mickey mouse league continues.

The only thing that makes any sense if that's the plan is to drastically reduce the odds for the 8 play-in teams. If you don't, you are giving essentially 8 playoff teams the combined odds of 24.5% for one of them to pick 1st overall.

Reactions: hkydave04

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Everything that has been indicated is that they are drawing winners for picks 1-2-3 the same way they always have.

Yeah reading further this seems to be the case. Mickey mouse league continues.

So a chance at the Cup AND a chance at a top 3 pick. The league is really catering to middle of the pack teams nowadays.

We picked a really bad time to be bad. Let’s hope the luck is in our favor but when I run the lottery sim it looks pretty grim.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
So a chance at the Cup AND a chance at a top 3 pick. The league is really catering to middle of the pack teams nowadays.

We picked a really bad time to be bad. Let’s hope the luck is in our favor but when I run the lottery sim it looks pretty grim.

Not a chance at both. If they make it past the play in round they only have a chance at the cup. If they don't make it past the play in round it is a chance at a top 3. This is really no different than a full season, IMO. The "real" playoffs will be the 16 remaining teams just like always. This just gives those bubble teams a similar chance to make the playoffs just like the remaining 10-14 games would have in a regular full season.

GOZetterberg

Dec 10, 2019
Well, if either one of Pittsburgh, Toronto, Carolina, Edmonton or Chicago wins a lottery pick I'll be pissed. Otherwise I'll be fine with this.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Not a chance at both. If they make it past the play in round they only have a chance at the cup. If they don't make it past the play in round it is a chance at a top 3. This is really no different than a full season, IMO. The "real" playoffs will be the 16 remaining teams just like always. This just gives those bubble teams a similar chance to make the playoffs just like the remaining 10-14 games would have in a regular full season.

So...what happens if one of the 8 teams wins their matchup, then upsets a top seed? Looking at some graphics it could be Calgary vs. Winnipeg with the winner playing St. Louis. Another is Columbus vs. NYI with the winner taking on Boston.
Hypthetically speaking, let's say NYI beats Columbus, then upsets Boston, gets hot and makes their way to the 3rd round. Do they still get a chance at the top pick? I know teams are reseeded in the draft if they finish final 4, final 2, or win the cup. But this situation makes me think there will be an issue down the line.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
So...what happens if one of the 8 teams wins their matchup, then upsets a top seed? Looking at some graphics it could be Calgary vs. Winnipeg with the winner playing St. Louis. Another is Columbus vs. NYI with the winner taking on Boston.
Hypthetically speaking, let's say NYI beats Columbus, then upsets Boston, gets hot and makes their way to the 3rd round. Do they still get a chance at the top pick? I know teams are reseeded in the draft if they finish final 4, final 2, or win the cup. But this situation makes me think there will be an issue down the line.

The team that wins the play in goes on to play for the cup and can't win the lottery. They team that loses the play in gets in the lottery and can't win the cup.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I wasn't that impressed with Drysdale and don't see the Makar comparison much.
I haven't seen much of Sanderson, but I remember the way his dad skated.
Sanderson is like 6'1 and reportedly skates like his dad.
Recrutes is way high on him, suggesting he could be the best player in the draft in five years times.

In their "best of lists" Sanderson ranks
2nd best skater (comparable to heiskanen)
Best defensive defenseman.

Given his rise on the only "final" lists I sub to, it's hard for me to ignore.
Given our need for a LHD...

You could make the argument he's the best skater in the draft. If not, he is right up there with guys like Stutzle and Drysdale.

The only real advantage I see with Sanderson over Drysdale is height. I like Drysdale better in every other area.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Play-in play-off what’s the f***ing difference? It’s win or go home. It’s playoffs. They are all playoff teams.

Reactions: hkydave04

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

True

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->