2020 NHL Draft Thread: only 365 more days until next years hockey tryouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Byfield looked ineffective at the WJC, and you want him to jump into the NHL?

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Guessing he’s talking strictly about the WJC
I love narrowing my sample size down to a few games in a tournament where a player played a depth role. Byfield produced the same as Laf last year at the tournament in a similar role and he’s almost a year younger so it’s not like he’s way off track progression-wise.

Reactions: AKL

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I’d try Holtz in the NHL next year if we drafted him. Lundell, Byfield, and Laf I’d let play in NHL. Raymond needs another year. Stutzle I’d bring over and have play in the AHL and call up as he progresses. I think Stutzle can progress similarly to Pastrnak, and he could be a center.

I would bring all three of them over to the AHL. Maybe find a couple of times to have them practice with the NHL guys and maybe if they look really good, get a couple games in the NHL.

Then again, the way our AHL team is run, they’d probably all rotate between the bottom 6 and the press box.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I would bring all three of them over to the AHL. Maybe find a couple of times to have them practice with the NHL guys and maybe if they look really good, get a couple games in the NHL.

Then again, the way our AHL team is run, they’d probably all rotate between the bottom 6 and the press box.
It’s not a bad plan. Khovanov and Raymond on a line would terrorize the A

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I love narrowing my sample size down to a few games in a tournament where a player played a depth role. Byfield produced the same as Laf last year at the tournament in a similar role and he’s almost a year younger so it’s not like he’s way off track progression-wise.

Scoring 2 points per game in the OHL doesn't matter if you have a lackluster 7 games in the U20's as a 17 year old, right?

I would put money on Byfield being at least as good next year in the NHL as Hughes is this year.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Wheeler is supposed to have some good stuff coming out tomorrow. Said he’s starting to release the biggest project he’s ever worked on and it’s prospect related. I’m excited to read it as I generally respect his opinion more than most Online Writers. Not sure if it’s Draft related or NHL-affiliated. Either way

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Scoring 2 points per game in the OHL doesn't matter if you have a lackluster 7 games in the U20's as a 17 year old, right?

I would put money on Byfield being at least as good next year in the NHL as Hughes is this year.
Yeah, I don’t think he’s going to come out and have a Matthews type of rookie season, so few players do. But I’d bet on him being a 40-50 point center with potential for a big sophomore year. Hughes has so much ability but I am not surprised by his bad transition. He’s played very little hockey at a very high level. If he would’ve played college last year I think he’d have transitioned much better. Kakko, in the other hand, looks so much slower than I saw him last year. I don’t know what’s up with him

Reactions: AKL

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
After about 3 hours of my daily draft studying, I’ve moved Marco Rossi to #3 on my rankings. He’s such a good playmaker, and he can shoot. Reminds me of Brad Marchand. Has a little Johnny Hockey in him too. Plays C.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
After about 3 hours of my daily draft studying, I’ve moved Marco Rossi to #3 on my rankings. He’s such a good playmaker, and he can shoot. Reminds me of Brad Marchand. Has a little Johnny Hockey in him too. Plays C.

How's his skating?

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
I’d try Holtz in the NHL next year if we drafted him. Lundell, Byfield, and Laf I’d let play in NHL. Raymond needs another year. Stutzle I’d bring over and have play in the AHL and call up as he progresses. I think Stutzle can progress similarly to Pastrnak, and he could be a center.
I have the same viewpoint on every single player. No wonder we both love Fiala.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

I don't think it's a terrible thing that some of our prospects are having to beat out Cody McLeod and JT Brown for a roster spot. It's not like that's an impossible bar to set. If a player is going to make it to the NHL level, they'd better be willing and able to prove they can do that over the course of a season. And actually, looking solely at the scoring leaders there (because I'm not sure where to get ice time stats for the AHL), it seems that plenty of players have already done so, which of course means then that McLeod and Brown would be playing bottom six, and not our prospects. I mean, it's not like we have a Jack Hughes level prospect that we're forcing to play 3rd line in the AHL because management loves old guys.

I personally think that forcing players to improve to advance is better - for them and the organization - than gifting them better jobs.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Wheeler is supposed to have some good stuff coming out tomorrow. Said he’s starting to release the biggest project he’s ever worked on and it’s prospect related. I’m excited to read it as I generally respect his opinion more than most Online Writers. Not sure if it’s Draft related or NHL-affiliated. Either way

Looks like its his prospect pool rankings. Started with Columbus and has them ranked 31. Will be interesting to see how long we have to wait for his analysis of the Wild. Somewhere in the mid 20s?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Looks like its his prospect pool rankings. Started with Columbus and has them ranked 31. Will be interesting to see how long we have to wait for his analysis of the Wild. Somewhere in the mid 20s?
My guess is around 23 mainly because KK will be included still.

Reactions: StateofCelly

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The same guy that has Stutzle is also the same guy that has the Wild taking a defenseman.

Yeah and if the draft goes the way he has it going there, I’d take Drysdale at 10 too.

And I’d be pretty thrilled to be getting a 1D at 10th overall.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Yeah and if the draft goes the way he has it going there, I’d take Drysdale at 10 too.

And I’d be pretty thrilled to be getting a 1D at 10th overall.

Personally I'd move down, seems like a pretty deep draft.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Personally I'd move down, seems like a pretty deep draft.

If you’re in that scenario that Morreale created, there’s no f***ing chance in hell you’re moving back instead of picking Drysdale at 10.

No f***ing chance.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Lucas Raymond got a whopping: 34 seconds of ice-time in the SHL today. I wonder if he won’t try and get loaned to another team next year or just come to the AHL.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Lucas Raymond got a whopping: 34 seconds of ice-time in the SHL today. I wonder if he won’t try and get loaned to another team next year or just come to the AHL.

Is his SHL contract up after this season?
It’s pretty sad to see teams treat a guy like that because he’s leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad