2020 NHL Draft Thread: only 365 more days until next years hockey tryouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Lafreniere has a badly torn ACL that causes him to lose the rest of the season then the door has been left wide open for some other player to grab the #1 0a spot. Byfield sure hasn't impressed me at the WJC, nor at the couple of CHL games I've seen him in... maybe i've just caught all of his mediocre games? You want a #1 to jump out at you, and he doesn't do that for me(as opposed to Lafreniere).

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Have to go all the way back to 2010 to find the latest top 3 pick to have won a Stanley Cup.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Have to go all the way back to 2010 to find the latest top 3 pick to have won a Stanley Cup.

So you couldn't respond to those other questions then?

Did you know, before last year, you'd have to go back to 2008 to find a Cup winner without a top 3 pick on it?
In the last 20 years, only Detroit and St. Louis have won a cup without a top 3 pick on their roster.
And if you keep going back further into the 90s, all of those teams had top 3 picks on their roster.
6 of the top 10 scorers, 8 of the top 15, are top 3 picks.

What a weird statement to make, especially by someone who questioned if I know how logic works not more than a couple hours ago.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
So you couldn't respond to those other questions then?

Did you know, before last year, you'd have to go back to 2008 to find a Cup winner without a top 3 pick on it?
In the last 20 years, only Detroit and St. Louis have won a cup without a top 3 pick on their roster.
And if you keep going back further into the 90s, all of those teams had top 3 picks on their roster.
6 of the top 10 scorers, 8 of the top 15, are top 3 picks.

What a weird statement to make, especially by someone who questioned if I know how logic works not more than a couple hours ago.
Well, in case you didn't know how logic works:

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
2020 draft eligible Marco Rossi now has........ 66 points in 28 games. He’s also 60% on face offs this year.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
If we can get a Top 10 pick we can get an impact player. I actually think it may be time, depending on how Guerin feels about Khovanov and the Cs available when we pick, to think about a a defenseman.

While most of us would prefer we take an offensive minded C or RW, you have to consider that behind Dumba and Brodin there is no blue chip talent on the blueline at all.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If we can get a Top 10 pick we can get an impact player. I actually think it may be time, depending on how Guerin feels about Khovanov and the Cs available when we pick, to think about a a defenseman.

While most of us would prefer we take an offensive minded C or RW, you have to consider that behind Dumba and Brodin there is no blue chip talent on the blueline at all.

This is not the draft to start taking defensemen with top 10 picks in.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The more I'm learning about Lundell, the more I think he should be our guy if possible. I'm certain he'll be gone by the time we pick, but he seems to have O'Reilly+ type upside. Not as good as Barkov, but better than prime Koivu. Koivu was a top 25 scorer in 2009-10, in 2018-19 that would have been good for 82 points. Not a flashy player, but incredibly smart and reliable.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
My personal top 10 at the moment is:

Lafreniere
Byfield
Lundell
Rossi
Stutzle
Raymond
Holtz
Zary
Perfetti
Drysdale

Wouldn't love having to pick Drysdale, but he's still on another level than the Gunler/Holloway/Mercer/etc tier of guys. And on the plus side, he would be ready to take over top pairing duties by the time Suter/Spurgeon are gone. Would possibly allow us to trade Dumba in a couple years too, if not sooner (if guys like Menell and Belpedio can step in to fill the gap).

I do think Drysdale will go early though. It would be hard for a team to pass up that kind of defenseman, especially if they actually need defense.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
It may be a "bad" draft strategy, but I think it is time to just draft need and grab the top center on the board (and ideally trade up to minimize risks associated with that strategy).

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
The more I'm learning about Lundell, the more I think he should be our guy if possible. I'm certain he'll be gone by the time we pick, but he seems to have O'Reilly+ type upside. Not as good as Barkov, but better than prime Koivu. Koivu was a top 25 scorer in 2009-10, in 2018-19 that would have been good for 82 points. Not a flashy player, but incredibly smart and reliable.
I’m there too. The more See him, he reminds me of Bo Horvat. Would be a fine 1C, not a great one. He can shoot too. 30 + 40 is easily realistic. I don’t have him ahead of Stutzle or Rossi for Center’s yet, but if we’re going by players I’d want the wild to draft, in any order, right now it’s look like:
Laf
Byf
Stut
Ross
Lund
Raymond
Holtz
Perfetti
Drysdale

Mookie Blaylock

The in between is mine
Apr 16, 2014
Porch
At some point this week I heard Bradon Maleski say that this draft has 5 kids with the potential to head straight to the NHL. I don't follow the NHL draft, but that seems really high. Is the top of the draft that good?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
At some point this week I heard Bradon Maleski say that this draft has 5 kids with the potential to head straight to the NHL. I don't follow the NHL draft, but that seems really high. Is the top of the draft that good?

Yeah, the first roughly 10 picks are 2015-esque

Lafreniere, Byfield and Lundell are almost certainly NHL bound next season. Stutzle, Raymond and Holtz could all potential be there, but it wouldn’t hurt for them to spend another year in their respective leagues either.

But the top of this draft is a really good one. Drysdale has Makar qualities, and he might not go top 5.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, Byfield sure doesn't look ready, and i wouldn't put Drysdale in against NHL'ers. Holtz and Raymond don't look ready to me. Stutzle would benefit with more time in a league that is not the NHL.

I would say Lafreniere is the only sure thing to play NHL from day one. He look strong, quick, and smart.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Well, Byfield sure doesn't look ready, and i wouldn't put Drysdale in against NHL'ers. Holtz and Raymond don't look ready to me. Stutzle would benefit with more time in a league that is not the NHL.

I would say Lafreniere is the only sure thing to play NHL from day one. He look strong, quick, and smart.
Based on what?

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I’d try Holtz in the NHL next year if we drafted him. Lundell, Byfield, and Laf I’d let play in NHL. Raymond needs another year. Stutzle I’d bring over and have play in the AHL and call up as he progresses. I think Stutzle can progress similarly to Pastrnak, and he could be a center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad