2020 NHL Draft Thread: only 365 more days until next years hockey tryouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I don't think there's any need to be rude and hostile about it, and third overall is too early for a goalie, but there's a lot to be said for having a guy who's better than the field at his position, when the position is the most important on the ice, and the pool keeps being diluted by expansion.

BUT that we don't know what the team will look like in three years with much certainty is one facet of the problem ... the fact that it took a guy like Andrei Vasilevsky five years post-draft to emerge as a top NHL starter (with no Cup yet) is another. And the goalie with the highest save percentage that season he did break through was ... Aaron Dell.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The way I hear Askarov being talked about, he could be the next Price, Hasek, or Roy. Those guys will win you a lot of games. I will admit to not knowing a lot about goalies, though.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't think there's any need to be rude and hostile about it, and third overall is too early for a goalie, but there's a lot to be said for having a guy who's better than the field at his position, when the position is the most important on the ice, and the pool keeps being diluted by expansion.

BUT that we don't know what the team will look like in three years with much certainty is one facet of the problem ... the fact that it took a guy like Andrei Vasilevsky five years post-draft to emerge as a top NHL starter (with no Cup yet) is another. And the goalie with the highest save percentage that season he did break through was ... Aaron Dell.

If it makes you feel better, he can’t see a thing I say

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Perfetti is a better prospect than Cozens, Dach, and Zegras? Drysdale better than Byram? I'm not buying it. There is Lafreniere and Byfield... Askarov is the only other player that is at their level. Clearly above everyone else. I am sure that one or two of the other players in the top 15 will end up being excellent, but that is always the case.
I mean, Perfetti had better production in his d-1 year than Dach had in his draft year. Perfetti also put up 8 goals and 12 points in a record breaking campaign the the Hlinka. Drysdale being better than Byram is even more obvious. Drysdale is absolutely incredible. One of the best skaters in the world right now. All you need to look at is the fact that he made the WJC as a D-1 defensmen. That hasn’t happened often.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I mean, Perfetti had better production in his d-1 year than Dach had in his draft year. Perfetti also put up 8 goals and 12 points in a record breaking campaign the the Hlinka. Drysdale being better than Byram is even more obvious. Drysdale is absolutely incredible. One of the best skaters in the world right now. All you need to look at is the fact that he made the WJC as a D-1 defensmen. That hasn’t happened often.

And Rossi’s putting up 2.33 points per game in the OHL right now which this decade I believe is second to only McDavid.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
What would it take to get #2 OA?

This is assuming the team drafting #2 would even consider an offer.

Does our 1st plus a Dumba get it done?

I really don't know what it would take so I beg of you all do not get snarky.

I'm not even sure I'd like to do that. I like Dumba and he has great potential, I just know we need a young #1 C more than Dumba.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

I'm not even sure I'd like to do that. I like Dumba and he has great potential, I just know we need a young #1 C more than Dumba.
I don't think there's a way to disentangle what it would cost from the other team's motivation for trading the pick.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Wabit

May 23, 2016

NHL teams don't trade away top-3 picks. The potential and years of team control of those quality prospects is too hard to give away. Most drafting there aren't a Wild player away from pushing for the Cup for however long the contract of the player traded is, and the falloff in upside from 2oa to 10ish oa is usually significant.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
As things stand now, i don't see the top 2 picks being traded, as they appear to be franchise type players.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Depends on who has the 2nd pick and what # pick the Wild would be trading.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Depends on who has the 2nd pick and what # pick the Wild would be trading.
This is the thing that intrigued me. If someone wanted what we had instead of a C in the draft, maybe.

But I don't disagree with the other posters- it's a rare thing to see a top 3 pick traded.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
This is the thing that intrigued me. If someone wanted what we had instead of a C in the draft, maybe.

But I don't disagree with the other posters- it's a rare thing to see a top 3 pick traded.
If Minnesota was working with a pick in the 3-8ish range, I could see both Edmonton and New Jersey being willing to discuss the trade that you brought up. LA and Chicago might also.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
No one is going to trade that #2 pick. Edmonton is going to lose RNH soon. Byfield projects better than Hischier and Hughes, Hughes would likely move to the wing in that scenario, or one would be traded for a defenseman. Chicago has Strome and that’s it when they lose Toews. LA doesn’t have great centers either.

I can’t think of a single team that would trade the right to pick Byfield or Lafreniere at 2.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
No one is going to trade that #2 pick. Edmonton is going to lose RNH soon. Byfield projects better than Hischier and Hughes, Hughes would likely move to the wing in that scenario, or one would be traded for a defenseman. Chicago has Strome and that’s it when they lose Toews. LA doesn’t have great centers either.

I can’t think of a single team that would trade the right to pick Byfield or Lafreniere at 2.
Sadly, I also agree.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Interesting question.

Lafreniere just went down with what looks like a pretty serious leg injury. If his season is done, does that cause him to drop out of the top spot... or even the top 2-3?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Interesting question.

Lafreniere just went down with what looks like a pretty serious leg injury. If his season is done, does that cause him to drop out of the top spot... or even the top 2-3?

No

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
TSN saying it could affect the draft, if it's as serious as it looked.

A lot of people will be awaiting this injury update.

It might drop him out of the top spot.

There is a 0% chance it drops him out of the top 2.

There is a -100% it drops him out of the top 3 like you suggested it could.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
TSN saying it could affect the draft, if it's as serious as it looked.

A lot of people will be awaiting this injury update.
The media loves to hype up those story lines. Lafrienere is head and shoulders above anyone else in the draft; the only evidence you need is the USA vs Canada WJC game. 4 points. Byfield, who is supposed to challenge him, hasn’t been nearly the same player. I’d be surprised if Lafrienere doesn’t go #1 still.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It might drop him out of the top spot.

There is a 0% chance it drops him out of the top 2.

There is a -100% it drops him out of the top 3 like you suggested it could.
I didn't suggest anything. I asked the degree of impact. Nothing more.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I didn't suggest anything. I asked the degree of impact. Nothing more.

The fact that you're asking is you suggesting it could. There's no chance, thus, no reason to ask.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The fact that you're asking is you suggesting it could. There's no chance, thus, no reason to ask.
Yeah, no. Not how discussion ideas work.

This is a message board. This thread is about the draft. The consensus likely #1oa just suffered what looks like a serious knee injury. Thought it would be interesting to see how anyone would think it's going to affect the draft.

This isn't a situation that has happened often in the NHL, so I thought it would be interesting to see what people think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino