2020 NHL Draft Thread: only 365 more days until next years hockey tryouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Gaborik wasn't a superstar?
You could consider him one. I guess I probably would. My point wasn’t really that we’ve never had one even if that’s how I said it. It was more just that we might now have another opportunity like this if Guerin goes to work this summer.

For what it’s worth, I think Holtz has the potential to be a better goal scorer than Gaborik.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018

Really good article on Perfetti. The author is by no means an Nhl scout, but I agree with a lot of his takes

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018

Given that Lafrienere team is scoring at a much higher rate than Byfields, in a higher scoring league in general, this tells me that Byfield is really good at driving play at ES

Reactions: AJ Thelen

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009

Given that Lafrienere team is scoring at a much higher rate than Byfields, in a higher scoring league in general, this tells me that Byfield is really good at driving play at ES

Plenty of time left to watch, but if the Wild got the 1st pick, I would go Byfield.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
i know many like bpa but IF we can pick byfield he would fill our desperate need for C , i doubt he'll be available at #4.
BPA makes people lose their minds. BPA is not best pick available. It is intentional blindness to position - i.e. the rarity of the asset - which is an essential component of value. It is not scientific and it is definitely not economical.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nsjohnson

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Correct answer is Franchise Center

Well - to be fair, if a franchise player is a player that you can define the franchise with, it'd be Koivu. A low scoring, defensive bulwark that is low-key, doesn't get a lot of media attention, has injury issues, but is a lunch pail type of player.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I'm leaning towards Lundell over Raymond because of position and size. Lundell's skating seems smoother as well, but Raymond is giving me a Pastrnak vibe so that would be scary to pass on.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I'm leaning towards Lundell over Raymond because of position and size. Lundell's skating seems smoother as well, but Raymond is giving me a Pastrnak vibe so that would be scary to pass on.
Raymond reminds me of a cross between Mitch Marner and Filip Forsberg.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Raymond shouldn’t be in the NHL next year, I worry if we take him we will rush his development.
I agree that he shouldn’t be in the nhl next year as of now, but if he ends with 20 points in the last 20 games, maybe things change. As for us rushing him and ruining him, if that’s the case, we’re screwed no matter what.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Pronman had a good Q&A today. I take a lot of his opinions on players with a grain of salt. I think he’s good at analyzing skills in players, but I don’t think he has a general clue about what skills are required to be a successful NHLer. That being said, he does have a lot of connections around the league, so I thought it was interesting that he said he could see us taking Byfield over Lafrienere if we got the first pick. It was purely speculation, but he said there are teams that have Byfield over Laf right now.

it would be exciting to have a draft for once where people genuinely didn’t know who was going first. I think the last I remember where there was actual debate was Taylor vs Tyler.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
All I know is that the Wild need to rip off the bandaid called 'win now' because it's not gunna happen. Sure, don't make any trades until the time of leverage, aka the trade deadline, and then if you can, trade.

Get an additional 1st this year. Hell, trade up at the draft with the additional 1st if you somehow can. Or, someone's current prospect.

Top 5 pick, and then another in the 10-15 range.

Add two top 15 picks to Boldy and Kaprizov and a few of our other rising prospects. Pick all remaining rounds in 2020 and add them.

Next year, suck again, get another top 10 pick. Make a deal again.

Go into 21-22 with optimism and maybe ready to challenge again in 22-23.

I am more happy with the GM doing what he can like this than hope for the current roster to make a come back. Two years ago, no. Now, yes. There is a certain breaking point where I can vote to trade away, most likely suck, deal with it, keep the optimism on the future, and wait than suffer the false promise of the current product.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
All I know is that the Wild need to rip off the bandaid called 'win now' because it's not gunna happen. Sure, don't make any trades until the time of leverage, aka the trade deadline, and then if you can, trade.

Get an additional 1st this year. Hell, trade up at the draft with the additional 1st if you somehow can. Or, someone's current prospect.

Top 5 pick, and then another in the 10-15 range.

Add two top 15 picks to Boldy and Kaprizov and a few of our other rising prospects. Pick all remaining rounds in 2020 and add them.

Next year, suck again, get another top 10 pick. Make a deal again.

Go into 21-22 with optimism and maybe ready to challenge again in 22-23.

I am more happy with the GM doing what he can like this than hope for the current roster to make a come back. Two years ago, no. Now, yes. There is a certain breaking point where I can vote to trade away, most likely suck, deal with it, keep the optimism on the future, and wait than suffer the false promise of the current product.
This is the year to tank and trade players for 1st and then trade up for an even higher second 1st round pick.

Imagine adding Byfield and Lundell to Kaprizov and Boldy.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
This is the year to tank and trade players for 1st and then trade up for an even higher second 1st round pick.

Imagine adding Byfield and Lundell to Kaprizov and Boldy.
That will be tough to do- hell I'm not even sure that we can sneak into the top 4 in the draft because well...I just have this feeling we will go on some streak. Miss the playoffs, but not be in the top 4. Anyways, yes that would be amazing, to get into the top 4 and then to somehow make a trade to land something like that.

The problem is that we would be trading with a team who is also in the top 5-10, many whom won't want to trade their first.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone watched Lundell extensively? How does he compare to Kakko?

I'm trying my best to not think about Byfield or Laf cause we're not winning the lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad