2020 NHL Draft Thread: only 365 more days until next years hockey tryouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
When have they said that?

It's not something you'd say in public, but they have eyes and better adv stats/info than the fans do. Dub/Stalock this year is about the same quality as Kemps/Backstrom gave had in the 14-15 season.

Heck even basic stats with a .915% save (league average) goalies the Wild would have given up 11 less goals so far this year. That could/should have turned 4 losses into at least OT games.

The defense is fine. No superstars to carry a team but the depth scoring is there. The Wild have 5 players on pace for 20g seasons currently and 8 players on pace for 40p seasons.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It's not something you'd say in public, but they have eyes and better adv stats/info than the fans do. Dub/Stalock this year is about the same quality as Kemps/Backstrom gave had in the 14-15 season.

Heck even basic stats with a .915% save (league average) goalies the Wild would have given up 11 less goals so far this year. That could/should have turned 4 losses into at least OT games.

The defense is fine. No superstars to carry a team but the depth scoring is there. The Wild have 5 players on pace for 20g seasons currently and 8 players on pace for 40p seasons.
The question is going to be how badly Guerin really wants to fix the goaltending right now. It is absolutely making the team look worse than it really is, but fixing it isn't a panacea either. It doesn't sound like he's getting much top-down pressure from Leipold, and going into his first draft with a top-10 pick has its appeals...

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

I still don’t see how that means Guerin will acquire a goalie mid season. Like you said, he has eyes, he knows we’ve dog too deep of a hole to make the playoffs. He probably lets the season play out, like he has been eluding to publicly, while getting the highest pick possible. Then he’ll address it next summer and push for the playoffs next year.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I still don’t see how that means Guerin will acquire a goalie mid season. Like you said, he has eyes, he knows we’ve dog too deep of a hole to make the playoffs. He probably lets the season play out, like he has been eluding to publicly, while getting the highest pick possible. Then he’ll address it next summer and push for the playoffs next year.
I get that you can't make a deal that isn't there, but if that's really his plan, he needs to be fired yesterday. Right now Guerin and his staff need to be identifying players that will fill the holes that are currently in his lineup. If there's a goalie available right now that you think has the ability/potential to be a quality starter in this league, then that deal needs to made right now. Same can be said for getting rid of Dubnyk/Stalock.

Not panicking and not making dumb deals to try and save this season is the correct approach to this season. IMO
Deliberately sitting on your hands and doing nothing is a terrible plan.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Would be nice to see the young goalies we have in the AHL get a shot at being the solution before making a trade.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I get that you can't make a deal that isn't there, but if that's really his plan, he needs to be fired yesterday. Right now Guerin and his staff need to be identifying players that will fill the holes that are currently in his lineup. If there's a goalie available right now that you think has the ability/potential to be a quality starter in this league, then that deal needs to made right now. Same can be said for getting rid of Dubnyk/Stalock.

Not panicking and not making dumb deals to try and save this season is the correct approach to this season. IMO
Deliberately sitting on your hands and doing nothing is a terrible plan.
I’m not sure. I see your rationale and think it’s valid, I just can understand why a guy who just started might be inclined to let this year play out. At this point, even if we added a goalie, it’d be an uphill battle to make the playoffs. And even if we did, it’s even more unlikely that we have the offensive prowess needed to win the cup. He could be thinking this year will be his best shot to get a star for a while, so why not wait until next year to fix the problem.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Would be nice to see the young goalies we have in the AHL get a shot at being the solution before making a trade.
This is kind of where I'm at. You don't want to give up assets at this point unless you are convinced that guy will be the solution. On the other hand, you'd like both of those guys to stay in the minors all year ideally. I don't really think there's an easy answer right now.

Reactions: Bazeek

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I’m not sure. I see your rationale and think it’s valid, I just can understand why a guy who just started might be inclined to let this year play out. At this point, even if we added a goalie, it’d be an uphill battle to make the playoffs. And even if we did, it’s even more unlikely that we have the offensive prowess needed to win the cup. He could be thinking this year will be his best shot to get a star for a while, so why not wait until next year to fix the problem.
It's not about making the playoffs this year. It's about building a team that can win a cup. You can't just decide to stop trying to do that at any point. Right now is probably a good time to try and take advantage of a GM whose team is playing worse than expected and needs to make the playoffs for said GM to keep his job.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
It's not about making the playoffs this year. It's about building a team that can win a cup. You can't just decide to stop trying to do that at any point. Right now is probably a good time to try and take advantage of a GM whose team is playing worse than expected and needs to make the playoffs for said GM to keep his job.
But what can the Wild offer to help said team? Brodin? Maybe Staal or Koivu at the deadline? It just seems so unlikely a team would trade a proven backup goalie with starter potential if they're trying to make a playoff push.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
But what can the Wild offer to help said team? Brodin? Maybe Staal or Koivu at the deadline? It just seems so unlikely a team would trade a proven backup goalie with starter potential if they're trying to make a playoff push.
Why would one of those guys have to be traded for a goalie? Big picture here bud.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Again, we have no idea if the Wild will pick 2nd or 10th. We need to see them play a few really good teams again.

Come January we should know. Kind of.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yeah I don't get it - the range for Lafreniere says 1-1, then places him third. High quality simulator. :laugh:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Really. I got the #1 once in about 15 tries, and the number 5 and 6 five times.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I mean, as long as we pick top 6, I’ll be fine. I don’t know how highly touted PMB was because I was really young, but any of Lafrienere, Byfield, Raymond, Holtz, Stutzle would be the best prospect we’ve had in a long time. Before granlund IMO. I’d even listen to an argument for Perfetti who, by all accounts, is one of the “smartest” prospects scours have seen in a while.

also, could somebody enlighten me on the Pouliot pick? Looking at his stats and stuff, wasn’t he a big reach? Were people upset at the time?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
All this prospects seem like a big deal till they get picked, and actually start playing at higher levels. Lafreniere and maybe Byfield are the guys who will likely be able to take their skills to the NHL. The rest are "maybes". Last year at this time, Podkolzin was the consensus #3 player.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Wabit

May 23, 2016
All this prospects seem like a big deal till they get picked, and actually start playing at higher levels. Lafreniere and maybe Byfield are the guys who will likely be able to take their skills to the NHL. The rest are "maybes". Last year at this time, Podkolzin was the consensus #3 player.

Poolparty was the consensus #3 when the draft started in his draft year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad