GDT: 2020 NHL Draft Round 1 - 7 PM - NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
There just doesn't seem to be enough evidence in how this scouting staff as drafted to suggest they panicked for the Russian.

I think he was just a kid high on their board.

It doesn't make sense to me to flip from a righty in Schneider (if we wanted him) to a lefty in Muk I would think. That would be weird. One would think that if we wanted Scheider and wanted a righty, it would have moved us on to Barron or Grans.

I have no doubt that Muk was the highest guy on our board at that point (at least out of defenders).

Reactions: My3Sons

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Does anyone else feel like it's just not that hard a name to pronounce? Mook-ah-madillon. Yeah it's long and unusal, but the pronunciation seems pretty straightforward. Typing it is more of a pain, haha.

Once you get it, I think it's one of those things you just never lose again. Like figuring out the ring on connected horseshoes.

Also...one of the greatest things about Hockey is how it teaches you how to be fluent in difficult names, particularly if you work in a field that can have a highly international flavor.

Reactions: Blackjack

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I really like our first round, really like it. Holtz is fantastic, fills a need by being a goal scoring winger but is also so much more than that - his playmaking is really underrated and he thinks the game well. I can't say enough how much I like the Holtz pick.

Mercer isn't a sexy pick but he's the type of guy you need in your lineup and that you can plug in various roles. And with Holtz, Foote, Bratt, Goose, and Palmieri we don't really need Mercer to be that top 6 guy, he can flourish in the middle 6 while chipping in offensively here and there, providing solid all around game.

Big Muk is a high risk, high reward guy. I'll admit I want to read and watch more of him first but from everything I have seen so far, he's a classic case of a guy having a lot of tools but will need to put them together. Good skater, great size, booming shot. Sounds like Gelinas but of course I'd hope he can be better defensively - or at least not look so helpless. I can see the notion of "we should've traded back and we still could've got him!" but also... could we really? There were a few "reaches" around that 20 spot, who's to say another team didn't have him high on their list too? If we did trade back, how far would've been okay to still be fine taking this guy and would those teams even want to trade up? It's a lot of ifs that people like to put on the table as if they're facts but it's impossible for us to know and baseless speculation. If they liked him enough to take him there and not risk missing out on him by trading back then so be it.

It's worth noting that Gelinas played in the Q; a league not exactly renowned for defensive prowess. By contrast Mukhamadullinskiiovskyevitch (?!?!) plays in the KHL; a league known for not letting kids anywhere near a game roster unless they're really good.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It's worth noting that Gelinas played in the Q; a league not exactly renowned for defensive prowess. By contrast Mukhamadullinskiiovskyevitch (?!?!) plays in the KHL; a league known for not letting kids anywhere near a game roster unless they're really good.
Gelinas was also a converted forward, while Mukhamadullin is known for his defensive abilities.

Reactions: Tretyak 20

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
121023467_3162217437220756_6581984366422102516_o.png

OMG. As a Cybersecurity professional, I hereby declare you have won the internet.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Definitely a big difference. They keep most kids in the V or MHL.

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t initially disappointed with these 3 picks, but at least Holtz is something to be excited about.

I hope this ends up looking better in a few years than the Bruins 2015 draft where they had 3 1st rounders and flubbed it pretty badly.

Reactions: glenwo2

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Did anyone watch this through to the end? Fitz confirmed that they tried to move up but couldn't make a deal. Hope we find out who they were trying to get.

He said they tried to get creative to move up and I believe Winnipeg said a team offered a creative trade to get up to 10. I’m wondering if we tried to get to 10 for Perfetti/Askarov. Seems like the spot that would have made sense.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Did anyone watch this through to the end? Fitz confirmed that they tried to move up but couldn't make a deal. Hope we find out who they were trying to get.
I'm going to guess Quinn or Holloway. However Quinn got taken way ahead at 8th and probably Edmonton saw that Holloway was a perfect fit for their them.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I am so sorry for STI having write up this stink fest. Honestly I wouldn't blame him if he just decided not to. What a f***ing nightmare.

I wrote it up. Not a stink fest, not ideal. The problem was not the #20 pick, the problem was what I cautioned against with the #7 pick -- that the Devils would take Holtz and then face a scenario where the best available player at #18 and #20 were comparable to Holtz and also RWs. It showed a bit of a lack of foresight, in my mind.

Devils get an A+ for Mercer at #18, and a B+ for Holtz at #7, but if they had taken Rossi or Perfetti at #7 they probably would have made a much smarter pick at #20. I think they were just scared to take 3 RWs, but the best available player at #18 and #20 were both RWs. Still, I would have been happier with Greig or Mysak or Khusnutdinov at #20.

At least we didn't take Wallinder, I guess. Because I would have drove off a bridge if we took a guy with 5/6 upside and a 50% chance of making the NHL. Mukhamadullin at least has high-end potential.

Reactions: Guttersniped
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino