GDT: 2020 NHL Draft Round 1 - 7 PM - NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Stop sticking up for a bad pick. It was a terrible pick given the talent on the board still. Christ on a cross.

There were better defensive prospects in the board still and we go all the way off it for a guy with questionable hockey iq and foot speed
Idk there are worse D picks

But it's not like it was an unranked guy, so all we can do is assume they did their research and crucify them in a few years... Or not

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This scouting staff being this scouting staff I almost guarantee there will be picks in late rounds that show at least second round promise and someone will emerge even if one or two of the first rounders aren’t what they hope for
We just had 3 first round picks and you are hoping for 3+ round to "emerge" to make up for first round picks...that about sums up the first round we had with more picks than we've ever had in a a higher spots than about 90% of our history.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Pop's didn't play in the KHL in his draft year. In his +1 year he put up 1 point in 12 games. Shak did play in the KHL in his draft year and already has 6 points in 14 games in his +1 year. And of course Shak is a D-man.
Yeah, that was sarcasm, Pop isn’t comparable because he didn’t play in the KHL in his draft year and make the U18 team. The poster compared them and argued Shak should have been drafted in 4th round too.

Reactions: Blender

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Stop sticking up for a bad pick. It was a terrible pick given the talent on the board still. Christ on a cross.

There were better defensive prospects in the board still and we go all the way off it for a guy with questionable hockey iq and foot speed
Stever K says he has #1 potential. What more can you ask for at 20?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
We just had 3 first round picks and you are hoping for 3+ round to "emerge" to make up for first round picks...that about sums up the first round we had with more picks than we've ever had in a a higher spots than about 90% of our history.
Why do Holtz and Mercer need to be “made up for”? I preferred Rossi, but that wasn’t a bad pick. Mercer was excellent at 18. The Russian I think was poor but who knows, if they saw something, who the hell knows?

Reactions: AfroThunder396

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I mean, these are our guys now. Time to root for them.

But post Zacha and McLeod...ya know, I get it.

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
Idk there are worse D picks

But it's not like it was an unranked guy, so all we can do is assume they did their research and crucify them in a few years... Or not

Nah, I’ll curriculums them now because there were much better players available, same when we picked 7th.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
There will still forwards on the board with much higher upside (by consensus) than this kids upside.

Sure he could be great. I sure as hell hope he is. But it's still a reach by consensus.

I'll be interested to hear STI's thoughts.

isnt our forward depth pretty deep though? At some point enough is enough and you have only so many spots to play kids before it hurts their development

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
isnt our forward depth pretty deep though? At some point enough is enough and you have only so many spots to play kids before it hurts their development

This is a fair point, but you can always trade from a position of strength to address a weakness. A first line forward prospect is going to have more value than a second pair D prospect.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

If the team had six first round picks and each one was great are you telling me you wouldn’t hope that lower round picks emerge? My point was to try to remind folks it’s a long process and always surprising three and four years later. I don’t have any opinion on any of the picks. I’ve read some stuff by people I’ve never met and I haven’t watched the prospects play. For now I’ll presume the scouts who have made good late picks can also make good higher picks. Maybe they are all incompetent. We will see.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Pick 7 - was hoping for Drysdale or Sanderson, but when both are gone immediately before our pick, I thought Holtz was the pick that made the most sense for NJ. We need a winger more than a center and we need goalscorers. I have no problem picking Holtz over Rossi.

Pick 18 - love the pick. Mercer was best player available and a no brainer at this selection.

Pick 20 - Fitzgerald reached for Mukh after Rangers swooped on Schneider, whom I believe would of been NJ's pick. A little disappointing.

Reactions: My3Sons

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
His start to this season in Russia might have jumped him up the draft board.

No doubt... And if we are going to be honest...I have to concede I understand it. I made up my rankings and had some people up based on what I thought they were doing in their +1 already out what I was projecting them to do

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
If the team had six first round picks and each one was great are you telling me you wouldn’t hope that lower round picks emerge? My point was to try to remind folks it’s a long process and always surprising three and four years later. I don’t have any opinion on any of the picks. I’ve read some stuff by people I’ve never met and I haven’t watched the prospects play. For now I’ll presume the scouts who have made good late picks can also make good higher picks. Maybe they are all incompetent. We will see.
Yea I don't care who we pick in the early rounds, I still want depth picks to also work out the same way I want earlier picks to work out. Scoring on picks throughout the draft is pretty critical to any sort of sustained success in the NHL, you need to be able to do it or you end up like Edmonton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad