GDT: 2020 NHL Draft Round 1 - 7 PM - NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
It doesn't make sense to me to flip from a righty in Schneider (if we wanted him) to a lefty in Muk I would think. That would be weird. One would think that if we wanted Scheider and wanted a righty, it would have moved us on to Barron or Grans.

I have no doubt that Muk was the highest guy on our board at that point (at least out of defenders).

Barron was a big reach where he went. Grans will likely be a big reach tomorrow.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
He said they tried to get creative to move up and I believe Winnipeg said a team offered a creative trade to get up to 10. I’m wondering if we tried to get to 10 for Perfetti/Askarov. Seems like the spot that would have made sense.

I'll guess Carolina at 13 for Jarvis. They were one of the teams that was supposed to be gunning for Askarov, after he went, I could see Fitz trying to jump.

I'm going to guess Quinn or Holloway. However Quinn got taken way ahead at 8th and probably Edmonton saw that Holloway was a perfect fit for their them.

Definitely not Quinn, he went early and right after our own pick. It would have to be someone who fell. Holloway is possible.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I wrote it up. Not a stink fest, not ideal. The problem was not the #20 pick, the problem was what I cautioned against with the #7 pick -- that the Devils would take Holtz and then face a scenario where the best available player at #18 and #20 were comparable to Holtz and also RWs. It showed a bit of a lack of foresight, in my mind.

Devils get an A+ for Mercer at #18, and a B+ for Holtz at #7, but if they had taken Rossi or Perfetti at #7 they probably would have made a much smarter pick at #20. I think they were just scared to take 3 RWs, but the best available player at #18 and #20 were both RWs. Still, I would have been happier with Greig or Mysak or Khusnutdinov at #20.

At least we didn't take Wallinder, I guess. Because I would have drove off a bridge if we took a guy with 5/6 upside and a 50% chance of making the NHL. Mukhamadullin at least has high-end potential.

Yeah, I feel bad for writing that. I think I was just mad because I really wanted Rossi. I have nothing against Holtz.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Barron was a big reach where he went. Grans will likely be a big reach tomorrow.

I took Barron out of my first round. I was really high on him for the skating, but I'm not sure he's good at hockey? I'm with you there.

But I think it's weird to flip from right to left unless we were just always determined to take a d-man there. That was mostly my point. I just don't feel like the fact that we took Muk means that we were in on Schneider or wanted Schneider...nor do I think that the fact that we didn't take Schneider at 18 mean that we didn't want him lol

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Man I just flat out don't buy that. If they wanted Rossi and had him as the BPA after Sanderson and Drysdale, they would have taken him.

They knew there was a real chance both D would be gone. They have seen a ton of Rossi and Quinn due to having so many 67 players.

Common sense says they felt Holtz was the best pick available at 7 and they made it.

I don't see the logic in passing on the RW sniper you think is the best in the draft at that position because a lesser RW might be available all the way at 18 or 20.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I took Barron out of my first round. I was really high on him for the skating, but I'm not sure he's good at hockey? I'm with you there.

But I think it's weird to flip from right to left unless we were just always determined to take a d-man there. That was mostly my point. I just don't feel like the fact that we took Muk means that we were in on Schneider or wanted Schneider...nor do I think that the fact that we didn't take Schneider at 18 mean that we didn't want him lol

You can't pass on Mercer at #18. He was far and away the best available player. The argument could have made much earlier. Mercer is an absolute stud. I would not be surprised if he winds up being the Devils top line RW and Holtz is the second-line RW. Mercer is just a player.

Reactions: Forge

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
You can't pass on Mercer at #18. He was far and away the best available player. The argument could have made much earlier. Mercer is an absolute stud. I would not be surprised if he winds up being the Devils top line RW and Holtz is the second-line RW. Mercer is just a player.

That was actually my argument for why not taking Schneider at 18 didn't mean anything. It's absolutely possible that they had Mercer ranked much higher.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That was actually my argument for why not taking Schneider at 18 didn't mean anything. It's absolutely possible that they had Mercer ranked much higher.

But even so if they were this locked on Schneider that him going at 19 threw their entire strategy off then they are buffoons. Even if the Rags didn't trade up, they had to have known it was very possible he went at 19.

I don't buy they were jumping off the board like that on a whim. It simply makes more sense they were simply high on this Russian kid. Most likely due to his hot start in the KHL

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
But even so if they were this locked on Schneider that him going at 19 threw their entire strategy off then they are buffoons. Even if the Rags didn't trade up, they had to have known it was very possible he went at 19.

I don't buy they were jumping off the board like that on a whim. It simply makes more sense they were simply high on this Russian kid. Most likely due to his hot start in the KHL

Oh yeah, I don't buy that they panicked. Not what I'm trying to say, so my apologies if it's coming off like that. Some people during the draft were stating we would have taken him at 18 if we wanted him, which I believe is a faulty notion, and some people seem to be suggesting that his selection appears to have led to us freaking out and drafting Muk, which is also, I believe, a faulty notion. I think Muk was 100% the highest guy on our board (at least from a defenseman standpoint...I can't ignore the possibility that we may have had a higher forward on the bboard but really wanted to go defense there) and we absolutely wanted him.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Hi
I was wondering if one of the mods could open up the HFDevils 2020 1st Round Mock Draft Competition thread so I could score the mock drafts that got submitted in there. Thanks so much!
I will also try to find any of your guys' mock drafts that were posted in here and score them as well, but this is 80 pages, so if you submitted it in here, if you could please try to post it in the other thread yourself that would be great.

Reactions: Davegarri

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I REALLY liked this draft for us!! I must be one of the few who loved each pick we made, and I know I have a few posts saying I'd be disappointed with Holtz but it was mainly me projecting the lack of Sanderson or Drysdale I was disappointed with.

Holtz is a more of a ranged scorer than Quinn, who is argued to be the best in the draft at scoring. Holtz can let it rip from the freaking blueline and go top cookies! I also like what ive read about his compete and effort he always gives. Wasn't my favorite picks at this spot but, given who we got after him, Im 100% fine with going for a 40+ goal potential player (who apparently has a good all-around game and frame) considering we don't have anyone near that and haven't since Kovalchuk (Hall was never a goal scorer even if he scored a lot his MVP year).

Mercer was a BEAUT of a pick here at 18! I was so shocked he made it past 15-16 considering where he was ranked only a year ago in the top-10 by many. His floor is so high so I feel, even in his worst development path, he ends up a great bottom-6er for us. I love his attitude in the interviews and you can tell he is a genuine person who knows what it takes to become better, which is expecting a lot from an 18 year old! Plus the kid's hands are absolutely filthy, anyone with good IQ and filthy mits can make big plays - even if skating isn't his strong suit (I could be wrong on this, I thought most had him as an average skater)

Mukhamadullin is an EXCELLENT pick!! Heres some quick facts for the doubters: In 14 games this year he already has 6 points. The KHL records for points by a defenseman at 18 are a random with 8 and Orlov with 7... in 40+ games!! Mukh has that in 14 almost! And that isn't even his strong suit outside his heavy shot, hes a defensive guy! I absolutely love the prospect of having a 6'3" heavy shot dman whos playing with men, in an important role past the bench, in a league where young dmen are held down longer periods than most. His potential is super high IMO and I think this wasn't a reach at all and we had him above Schneider on our board. His contract is up 21-22 and he could maybe challenge for a spot by then given his size.

Thats my 'I dont know shit about shit but lets shoot the shit' diagnosis of the 1st round!

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Holtz is a more of a ranged scorer than Quinn, who is argued to be the best in the draft at scoring. Holtz can let it rip from the freaking blueline and go top cookies! I also like what ive read about his compete and effort he always gives. Wasn't my favorite picks at this spot but, given who we got after him, Im 100% fine with going for a 40+ goal potential player (who apparently has a good all-around game and frame) considering we don't have anyone near that and haven't since Kovalchuk (Hall was never a goal scorer even if he scored a lot his MVP year).
I was a big Quinn guy and still think he may end up being a better sniper than Holtz, although his high shooting % this year may be setting him up for regression. Even if he doesn't score as much, I just think he'll be a better all-around player because of his defensive ability. All water under the bridge now though.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Oh yeah, I don't buy that they panicked. Not what I'm trying to say, so my apologies if it's coming off like that. Some people during the draft were stating we would have taken him at 18 if we wanted him, which I believe is a faulty notion, and some people seem to be suggesting that his selection appears to have led to us freaking out and drafting Muk, which is also, I believe, a faulty notion. I think Muk was 100% the highest guy on our board (at least from a defenseman standpoint...I can't ignore the possibility that we may have had a higher forward on the bboard but really wanted to go defense there) and we absolutely wanted him.

Thing for me is if they were so locked in on Schneider that it would screw their board up that much, they wouldn't have risked missing him at all and taken him at 18. If you like a player THAT much you draft them when you can when your picks are that close.

Even more so if we go with the argument that Holtz was a mistake due to RWs being a dime a dozen in this draft (by that argument so is Mercer and they could have gotten a similar RW at 20 of what was available)

Basically I don't buy they panicked as I think they take him at 18 if they were that guy on him. Not taking him at 18 tells me they were comfortable with the prospect of losing him at 19.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I actually don't totally get the Schneider pick because the Rags have RD, but needed centers and had options at 19 in Lapierre and Zary.
I wanted no part of Schneider even if my dislike for his may be wrong in the end

I thought the Rangers would select Perreault or Lappiere

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I wanted no part of Schneider even if my dislike for his may be wrong in the end

I thought the Rangers would select Perreault or Lappiere

Lappiere or Zary made more sense for their needs. I don't get that pick for them unless they really were trying to screw us, and if so, that was kind of dumb.

Reactions: My3Sons

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Lappiere or Zary made more sense for their needs. I don't get that pick for them unless they really were trying to screw us, and if so, that was kind of dumb.
Maybe they realized Trouba and DeAngelo dont last long and maybe wanted to continue stocking the back-end?

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ

I don't understand their pick tbh unless they strictly wanted to try and screw us over lol he wasn't bpa and didn't fit a need for them either

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't understand their pick tbh unless they strictly wanted to try and screw us over lol he wasn't bpa and didn't fit a need for them either

It feels like there is a contradictory argument that they somehow played us by also skipping the same forwards we did.

If we screwed up by not taking Perreault or Zary then the Rags did too. Along with Columbus.

Reactions: My3Sons

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I actually don't totally get the Schneider pick because the Rags have RD, but needed centers and had options at 19 in Lapierre and Zary.
Ya. What gets lost in this whole thing is that the Rags wasted a pick to move up and NOT address their hole at center. I thought for sure they moved up to snag Lapierrrrrre, but to get Schneider? Really?

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Maybe, but what does that say about the forwards they passed on along with us? Maybe they weren't consensus picks afterall
They take a guy over the "consensus best pick" and we complain, then we dont take the "consensus best pick" its almost like the scouts and orgs are getting their guys lmao.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ya. What gets lost in this whole thing is that the Rags wasted a pick to move up and NOT address their hole at center. I thought for sure they moved up to snag Lapierrrrrre, but to get Schneider? Really?

It felt like the right place to gamble on Lapierre. They got free money with Laffy, and need high end centers with the house money pick.

Idk. I don't think they were as smart as we are painting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad