GDT: 2020 NHL Draft Round 1 - 7 PM - NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
What's the general consensus on the strength of this class? Outside of the top 10 guys, I haven't been tuned in enough to know about how our later 1st round picks might turn out if we keep them.

Most star-studded draft at RW and LW in recent memory, also deep at both wings. There could be top NHL goal-scorers a la David Pastrnak taken in the #20-#32 range, even early into the second round. There will certainly be some very nice sleeper forwards taken in the mid to late rounds, as well.

Very meh at center. Byfield is of course just a ridiculous talent, and Rossi is also a can't-miss stud. But a lot of the players listed as centers project to the wing at the NHL level (Perfetti, Holloway, Mysak, Jarvis, Bourque etc etc). Meanwhile, most of the centers likely taken outside the top 8 overall are more two-way types like Lundell and Zary, not offensive mega-star types. There are, however, some really nice sleeper centers with big-time offensive upside who have been overlooked, primarily Khusnutdinov and Robins.

As poor on defense as any draft in recent memory. Once we get past the top two in Sanderson and Drysdale -- both of whom have superstar, 1D upside -- it really thins out really fast. Teams will be clamoring in the #10-#22 range for a couple of guys who it's pretty much common knowledge are more mid-pairing defenders in Schneider and Guhle. Some of the names being mentioned as first round picks are high-risk players who have the upside of mid-pairing defenders like Grans and Cormier and Wallinder. The last thing I want to be doing in the first round is taking a kid and saying, "well, maaaaybe everything will work out and he'll be a pretty good, 30-point guy who is adequate in his own zone", but that's exactly what teams will be doing this year because the blueline prospects are so thin.

There are a couple of high-upside defenders who come with big risk, especially Jeremie Poirier and Shakir Mukhamadullin. And there are some very good defenders who might fall due to questions of offensive potential, notably Kleven, Kuznetsov, Faber. We also have a couple of injury-prone guys with upside -- Barron could go in the first round, Hunt in the second. But ultimately, we have to say right now that the 2020 class is glaringly weak with defensemen.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Does Perreault have any MF'er in his game like Palmieri or is he a pure skill/shot guy?

Perreault is not a soft player, but again he's a guy who prefers to put the puck in the net and set up teammates, not muck it up along the boards. There are soft wingers in the draft who worry me for that reason -- Bordeleau and Nybeck would be two players to fit that description.

The important thing to keep in mind about Perreault is that he possesses the most all-around upside of any RW in the 2020 draft -- even including Holtz, Quinn and Jarvis. This kid's combination of shot/skating/vision is not just good, it's almost absurd. Throw in a great set of hands and it's almost dizzying. I'd call Perreault one of the best bad-angle shooters I've ever seen at the CHL level. Now, if we can just convince him to play a little two-way hockey...

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Since it’s apparent that at least the Devils read your posts, I believe this is the time (It’s never too late) that you should begin bad mouthing the players we like at 7. Now I know you don’t like to put down 18 year old kids but how about talking about how Sanderson is a known Mommas boy who holds her hand while they walk through the mall. Drysdale never cleans his own plate after dinner. Rossi... whew, well Rossi picks his nose. Don’t even get me started on Lucas Raymond.

Man, that Lucas Raymond is a terrible dresser. No sense of fashion at all. I don't see why any NHL team would draft a kid who clashes colors like that.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I would do it to secure Drysdale, dunno if he's at the top of Fitzy's board though
Yzerman's got a pretty good poker face - none of us fans really know what he'll do (good example was last year when he nabbed Seider).

It's well known that the Wings have ties to Perfetti (Chris Osgood/Jimmy Devellano own the Saginaw Spirit - and apparently Perfetti has become friendly with Kris Draper), but that could be all smoke, and mirrors.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Wings fan here with a sincere question if I may?

Anyone here think Fitzgerald would consider swapping picks - Detroit's #4, and #32 for NJ's #7, and #20?

Is there a player the Devils really want that may not be there at #7?

Well, Sanderson or Drysdale are likely the Devils' preference. So, that would make sense. But having studied Steve Yzerman for years I'd say it's unlikely -- there is certainly a player Yzerman has targeted with the #4 pick, especially knowing who is going to be gone from #1 thru #3. Yzerman is the opposite of a "waffler" -- the dude has strong convictions and knows what he wants and goes after it. I have nothing but respect for him, and I think the Red Wings are certainly one of the up-and-coming teams to watch for the next decade.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Anyone here think Fitzgerald would consider swapping picks - Detroit's #4, and #32 for NJ's #7, and #20?

In a heartbeat. Honestly think it’s good for both teams if that’s what the GMs wanted.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Detroit should be nabbing Sanderson if doing the right thing here, and I'm fine with that as any of the forwards that fall our way at the #7 spot should be a valued addition to our prospect pool.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

This Devils fan would prefer to stay at 7 and keep the 20th.

Unless Stutzle or Byfield fall to 4th, that lump of players in the next tier seems pretty interchangeable.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Well, Sanderson or Drysdale are likely the Devils' preference. So, that would make sense. But having studied Steve Yzerman for years I'd say it's unlikely -- there is certainly a player Yzerman has targeted with the #4 pick, especially knowing who is going to be gone from #1 thru #3. Yzerman is the opposite of a "waffler" -- the dude has strong convictions and knows what he wants and goes after it. I have nothing but respect for him, and I think the Red Wings are certainly one of the up-and-coming teams to watch for the next decade.
I find him 'hard to read' - which I guess is a good thing for a GM at the draft.

Apparently he was looking to drop back a few spots last year (gain additional pick to do so), and still draft Seider, but there were no takers, and he would've risked losing out on Seider if he had gone outside of the top 10.

Wouldn't surprise me if he, and the Wings scouting see Perfetti = Rossi = Raymond, and any 1 of those 3 could be available at #7.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves What is your opinion on Yegor Sokolov? Seems like an overager that might be worth the risk in the later rounds? Dont know much about him tho.

Huge kid, shoots the lights out. Sokolov opened a lot of eyes with a stunning WJC performance but, again, he was one of the older players there. He also tore up the QMJHL for Cape Breton, and has a very nice compete level. Though his skating is average at best, we're talking a 6'4-240 beast with skill and a cannon shot. I'm shocked he was not drafted last year.

Sokolov is likely to go in the 2nd/3rd round, but he's not my top 2020 over-ager. I'd rank him third behind RW Dmitry Rashevsky and LW Evgeni Oksentyuk. I've talked at length about Rashevsky -- he's my sleeper of the draft. I think he's literally like Robert Johnson, and after being absolutely not even worth mentioning in his draft-eligible season he made a deal with the devil or something. His hands are so good it's absurd -- we're talking Lucas Raymond/Cole Perfetti good. His passing ability and shooting ability are also in the elite conversation. Rashevsky's skating needs work, but it's still above average. How he went from MHL bench-jockey to probably the best player in the MHL in the span of a few months is a mystery I have been trying to solve in abject futility.

Okesentyuk is impossible not to love. Despite being tiny at 5'8-160, the kid combines elite hands with an engine that never quits. He's all heart, a ball of energy, and can make very good defensemen look silly dangling around them. While not a top-notch skater, Oksentyuk is extremely quick, and has a surprisingly good shot. He's a terrific passer and surprisingly good two-way player. I feel Oksentyuk is going to make some team very, very happy in the 4th round or thereabouts.

Back to Sokolov, I wonder how a 6'4-240 kid who can blast the biscuit was not drafted last year. Did he interview poorly? There are no questions concerning his compete level on the ice -- it's good. I would assume his skating is the biggest concern. But I can't see him slipping through the cracks again, especially considering how well he performed both in CHL play and tournament play in 2019-20.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Detroit should be nabbing Sanderson if doing the right thing here, and I'm fine with that as any of the forwards that fall our way at the #7 spot should be a valued addition to our prospect pool.
I could see Yzerman looking at Sanderson with the #7 pick (if a swap was made with Fitzgerald)...Sanderson on left D would complement Seider on the right.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
1459fa0eb190d2ecbdb3fd3a6bad61ba.gif

Wayne’s World Wayne’s World Party Time Excellent!!

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Brady Tkachuk coming out and telling Sens fans to "be respectful" of whoever gets picked by the Sens tonight should be looked at as a very good sign for our pick. To me this very likely means they're somewhat going off the board and/or taking Askarov with 3 or 5. Making it more likely that we get the pick of 2 of the 4 guys this board is targeting most (Drysdale, Rossi, Sanderson, Raymond)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad