24. Jamie Drydale
25. Braden Scheider
26. Samuel Knazko
27. Jake Neighbours
28. Ty Smilanic
29. Seth Jarvis
30. Hugo Styf
31. Nick Desantis

I think Lundell has a good chance of climbing into the top 10 in this draft. He was absolutely stellar in the U18 gold winning team as a double under age (believe he was the youngest player of the team). The age didn't really seem to matter and his ability to display stellar two way game impressed me in particular. Scored six points in seven games. Currently listed at 6"0 while probably still growing. Of course playing center certainly doesn't hurt the stock value. In general Finns never really make too far or get recognition in the early looks, but I suppose that applies to most European nations as well. Anyway, whenever looking forward at two years it's always a crap shot in most cases. Good work on the list nonetheless.

Reactions: Andy Lehoux

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think Lundell has a good chance of climbing into the top 10 in this draft. He was absolutely stellar in the U18 gold winning team as a double under age (believe he was the youngest player of the team). The age didn't really seem to matter and his ability to display stellar two way game impressed me in particular. Scored six points in seven games. Currently listed at 6"0 while probably still growing. Of course playing center certainly doesn't hurt the stock value. In general Finns never really make too far or get recognition in the early looks, but I suppose that applies to most European nations as well. Anyway, whenever looking forward at two years it's always a crap shot in most cases. Good work on the list nonetheless.
Anton Lundell was not a double underager, he just was an underager. One of the younger ones though, as a late birthday.

Still, I agree that he's looking quite good. Late birthdays also seem to get favored a little. It'll be interesting to see his development over the next season. This past season was well above expectations.

Well, the Auston Matthews and Anton Lundell international performance comparison:
u17:
Matthews: 4+4=8, 6gp
Lundell: 3+4=7, 5gp

u18:
Matthews: 5+2=7, 7gp
Lundell: 2+4=6, 7gp

The international production at least is pretty close to a rather good prospect. But as said, next season will tell a lot already. I've always liked him when I've seen him play.

Last edited:

SpinninRodIntoArmpit

Apr 8, 2015
It has been rumored that Simontaival would start the season in LeKi of Mestis (the Finland's second highest level).

Source in Finnish:
Kasper Simontaival (B-jun)

If he ends up playing the whole season with men, he'll most likely total only 2 U20 league games on his career. I'm not saying this scenario is probable, but I can see it happening.

Slapshotmaniac

Jul 13, 2018
Finnish D Manu Räty is born late 2001 and egilible for draft in 2020. It is interesting to see him play in KooKoo A-Junior SM-league in next season, could be competetative candidate to U18 World Cup.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Not sure if anyone has mentioned Jack Finley but he could be a good one to keep an eye.
If anyone is attending the U-17 development camp next week in Calgary and could provide a glimpse of how he looked it would be appreciated.

Hcokeydad64

Aug 24, 2017
The exhibition games are shown on HockeyTV! You can look up the team rosters as well and pick the game you want to watch.

Reactions: 99664987

DontEverTouchMyPuck

Jul 30, 2018
I gotta make a case for two players:

I watched some of the Team Canada U17 Development Camp games. With what I saw, I would say Perfetti is ranked too low in the suggested rankings. He has the smarts and the skills. A real team player. He played with Luke Evangelista (LK - OHL #14 overall) - another that is missing from the rankings. Evangelista has sick hands and an amazing hockey IQ. Watching them together, I thought of what Perfetti is capable of with high-end talent alongside of him. He's the real deal - great head on his shoulders! And Evangelista will only become more dominant as he fills out his frame.

The bodies will develop. But the minds are what is most important, IMO.

Speaking of minds, in one game I saw the Evangelista/Perfetti line playing against Quintin Byfield. Apparently, Byfield had enough of what he was seeing and took a run at Evangelista, boarding him with a blind side hit. Byfield got the penalty, but Evangelista left camp with a shoulder injury as a result. It made me think less of Byfield for the simple reason - who, in their right mind, takes a run at a potential fellow Team Canada teammate, in a Development Camp scrimmage?

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
I gotta make a case for two players:

I watched some of the Team Canada U17 Development Camp games. With what I saw, I would say Perfetti is ranked too low in the suggested rankings. He has the smarts and the skills. A real team player. He played with Luke Evangelista (LK - OHL #14 overall) - another that is missing from the rankings. Evangelista has sick hands and an amazing hockey IQ. Watching them together, I thought of what Perfetti is capable of with high-end talent alongside of him. He's the real deal - great head on his shoulders! And Evangelista will only become more dominant as he fills out his frame.

The bodies will develop. But the minds are what is most important, IMO.

Speaking of minds, in one game I saw the Evangelista/Perfetti line playing against Quintin Byfield. Apparently, Byfield had enough of what he was seeing and took a run at Evangelista, boarding him with a blind side hit. Byfield got the penalty, but Evangelista left camp with a shoulder injury as a result. It made me think less of Byfield for the simple reason - who, in their right mind, takes a run at a potential fellow Team Canada teammate, in a Development Camp scrimmage?

The knock on Byfield is that he has only played against kids his birth year in a weaker league and given his size he could do what he wanted. Now he is playing against the best of the best and will be playing kids older and more physically mature - will be an adjustment. Getting frustrated against bigger and stronger players will show itself in frustration.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Thats rough, you cant be running your teammates in a summer dev camp scrimmage, thats a bad look, but yeah once he gets acclimated to playing kids his size, the frustrations should subside

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Watching some u17 Hockey Canada games and Jean Luc Foudy has been mighty impressive. Rare for a forward to dominate possession while playing with unfamiliar line mates, but he's doing it in the game i'm watching. So fast and so smart.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Standouts from the camp on forward: Quinton Byfield, Josh Lawrence, Jean Luc Foudy, Hendrix Lapierre, Evan Vierling

On defense: Luke Prokop, Kaiden Guhle, Jamie Drysdale, Lukas Cormier, Ryan O'Rourke.

Lots of other impressive performances, but these are who look like they're on track to playing on next year's hlinka.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Hcokeydad64

Aug 24, 2017
Curious about your thoughts on a couple of Calgary area kids my kid used to play with that were also in the camp.
Defenseman Ronan Seeley, Forwards Kyle. Crnkovic and Jake Neighbours. My kid played with all three of those kids when he was just 6-8 years of age. And our Team was awesome!

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
With training camps over in the Q, some names to keep in mind:

1. F Alexis Lafrenière, Rimouski - likely 1st overall pick

2. F Josh Lawrence, Saint John - slick offensive forward, creates a ton of chances, only 5'7 size a factor in draft position for NHL

3. D William Villeneuve, Saint John - two-way defenseman with an offensive touch and big shot from the point, high hockey sense, already 6'1, potential top-10 pick

4. F Hendrix Lapierre, Chicoutimi - high-enery playmaker who can do it all on the ice, already 6' should be a 1st round pick

5. D Justin Barron, Halifax - impressive offensive dman who can skate, listed at 6'2 and 187 very likely to be chosen in 1st round

6. D Lukas Cormier, Charlottetown - new-age fast puck-moving defenseman, only 5'8 for now, may be choosen late because of size

7. G Antoine Coulombe, Shawinigan - 5'11 186 sound technical goalie who impressed everywhere he went, impossible to predict with goalies but is trending high

8. F Patrick Guay, Sherbrooke - 5'9 162lbs extremely skilled offensive player with top-notch hands, a decent gamble in the 2nd round

9. D Jérémie Biakabutuka, Val d'Or - huge defenseman who can skate and move the puck, has a mean streak, could be a 1st round pick if he keeps developping

10. F Charles Beaudoin, Shawinigan - tons of offensive skills, soft hands, big point producer, needs to improve two-way game, NHL size already, solid gamble in middle rounds

11. D Jérémie Poirier, Saint John - sound defenseman who defends well and can support the offense, already 6'0, could be a good mid-rounder

12. F Mavrick Bourque, Shawinigan - 5'10 163 offensive-minded forward who works extremely hard and has a wide variety of skills, great skater

13. F William Provost, Val d'Or - 5'11 181 slick hands and great shot, needs to improve decision making and effort level

14. F Theo Rochette, Chicoutimi - 5'10 150 needs to get bigger and stronger, skills are there, unproven in NA

15. D Nicholas Savoie, Quebec - skilled offensive dman who can play a solid two-way game already has NHL size

HMs; Dawson Stairs, Brady Burns, Pier-Olivier Roy, Charlie DesRoches, Ryan Francis, Dawson Mercer, William Dufour, Samuel Dubé, Alex Drover, Benjamin Roode, Elliot Desnoyers, Lucas Mercuri, Xavier Fortin, Simon Bucheler, Alexandre David, Nicolas Kingsbury-Fournier, Charles-Antoine Lavallée, Maximilien Ledoux

Last edited:
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Curious about your thoughts on a couple of Calgary area kids my kid used to play with that were also in the camp.
Defenseman Ronan Seeley, Forwards Kyle. Crnkovic and Jake Neighbours. My kid played with all three of those kids when he was just 6-8 years of age. And our Team was awesome!
Didn't get a good enough read on Seeley and Neighbours, beyond that neither looked out of place. Crnkovic i've seen a few times now, including in person when his team played in an academy tournament in Toronto. Hyper competitive, crafty, quick as hell. I'm not sure he'll grow much larger, but I don't think that's going to hold him back. Doesn't seem to have any issues going into tough areas. I think he's going to be really good.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
With training camps over in the Q, some names to keep in mind:

1. F Alexis Lafrenière, Rimouski - likely 1st overall pick

2. F Josh Lawrence, Saint John - slick offensive forward, creates a ton of chances, only 5'7 size a factor in draft position for NHL

3. D William Villeneuve, Saint John - two-way defenseman with an offensive touch and big shot from the point, high hockey sense, already 6'1, potential top-10 pick

4. F Hendrix Lapierre, Chicoutimi - high-enery playmaker who can do it all on the ice, already 6' should be a 1st round pick

5. D Justin Barron, Halifax - impressive offensive dman who can skate, listed at 6'2 and 187 very likely to be chosen in 1st round

6. D Lukas Cormier, Charlottetown - new-age fast puck-moving defenseman, only 5'8 for now, may be choosen late because of size

7. G Antoine Coulombe, Shawinigan - 5'11 186 sound technical goalie who impressed everywhere he went, impossible to predict with goalies but is trending high

8. F Patrick Guay, Sherbrooke - 5'9 162lbs extremely skilled offensive player with top-notch hands, a decent gamble in the 2nd round

9. D Jérémie Biakabutuka, Val d'Or - huge defenseman who can skate and move the puck, has a mean streak, could be a 1st round pick if he keeps developping

10. F Charles Beaudoin, Shawinigan - tons of offensive skills, soft hands, big point producer, needs to improve two-way game, NHL size already, solid gamble in middle rounds

11. D Jérémie Poirier, Saint John - sound defenseman who defends well and can support the offense, already 6'0, could be a good mid-rounder

12. F Mavrick Bourque, Shawinigan - 5'10 163 offensive-minded forward who works extremely hard and has a wide variety of skills, great skater

13. F William Provost, Val d'Or - 5'11 181 slick hands and great shot, needs to improve decision making and effort level

14. F Theo Rochette, Chicoutimi - 5'10 150 needs to get bigger and stronger, skills are there, unproven in NA

15. D Nicholas Savoie, Quebec - skilled offensive dman who can play a solid two-way game already has NHL size

HMs; Dawson Stairs, Brady Burns, Pier-Olivier Roy, Charlie DesRoches, Ryan Francis, Dawson Mercer, William Dufour, Samuel Dubé, Elliot Desnoyers, Lucas Mercuri, Xavier Fortin, Simon Bucheler, Nicolas Kingsbury-Fournier, Charles-Antoine Lavallée

Looks close to my thoughts after watching the U17 camp. I also thought Pier-Olivier Roy showed some impressive offensive ability.

One name that impressed me that I don't see on your list is William Veillette. His energy and skating really stood out at the camp. Had several "who's that player" moments that turned out to be him.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Looks close to my thoughts after watching the U17 camp. I also thought Pier-Olivier Roy showed some impressive offensive ability.

One name that impressed me that I don't see on your list is William Veillette. His energy and skating really stood out at the camp. Had several "who's that player" moments that turned out to be him.

Good call!

Hcokeydad64

Aug 24, 2017
Didn't get a good enough read on Seeley and Neighbours, beyond that neither looked out of place. Crnkovic i've seen a few times now, including in person when his team played in an academy tournament in Toronto. Hyper competitive, crafty, quick as hell. I'm not sure he'll grow much larger, but I don't think that's going to hold him back. Doesn't seem to have any issues going into tough areas. I think he's going to be really good.

Thanks for your thoughts. Yeah Crnky is a slick little player. I also saw him in Toronto. Awesome family as well.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
It sure seems like Lucas Mercuri is going the US route. The Val d'Or Foreurs draft pick I think will play with Salisbury Prep

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
It's still way too early but here would be my top 31 today :
1. Alexis Lafrenière
2. Quinton Byfield
3. Alexander Holtz
4. Marco Rossi
5. Kaiden Guhle
6. Dylan Peterson
7. Kasper Simontaival
8. Lucas Raymond
9. Cole Perfetti
10. Connor McClennon
11. Anton Lundell
12. Nicholas Wong
13. Justin Barron
14. Dylan Holloway
15. Brandon Coe
16. Noah Delémont
17. Danil Gushchin
18. Théo Rochette
19. Joshua Lawrence
20. Oliver Suni
21. Anthony Stranges
22. Noel Guhler
23. Kyle Crnovik
24. Jamie Drydale
25. Braden Scheider
26. Samuel Knazko
27. Jake Neighbours
28. Ty Smilanic
29. Seth Jarvis
30. Hugo Styf
31. Nick Desantis

Curious why you don't have Evan Vierling in your top 31, he should be at least top 15 imo.

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
Curious why you don't have Evan Vierling in your top 31, he should be at least top 15 imo.
I only saw him once when I made that list, and I wasn't impress, but I watched him more and he's around the 20th spot now. Still super early so I change my list after almost every game I watch.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
2020 prospects on Finnish u20-league:

Roni Hirvonen 5. 4+4=8
Veeti Miettinen5. 2+5=7
Anton Lundell 5. 4+2=6
Kasper Simontaival 5. 2+2=4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad