2020 NHL Draft Prospects

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
I'm not sure what to think of Holtz actually. His goal scoring instincts are the best I've seen from a Swedish prospect probably. On the other hand, for every good play he makes he seems to make a few really low IQ plays. Might just be an adjustment period.
He seemed to lose his confidence at hlinka.

Probably a bit early to count him out though.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Roni Hirvonen is off to a really strong start. Possible top 5 pick?
A pretty ridiculous start, honestly. 16 points in 9 games is quite absurd. As has been said, Kaapo Kakko had 32 points in 26 games and that's the best a player of such age has scored since Puljujärvi or some such.

I actually wonder if playing in Liiga would be possible for him. The only thing there is that Blues doesn't have a Liiga team.

edit:
Actually Puljujärvi scored 18 points in 11 games before he was promoted to Mestis/Liiga so Hirvonen's pace is ahead of even Puljujärvi's.

Last edited:

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Looks close to my thoughts after watching the U17 camp. I also thought Pier-Olivier Roy showed some impressive offensive ability.

One name that impressed me that I don't see on your list is William Veillette. His energy and skating really stood out at the camp. Had several "who's that player" moments that turned out to be him.

Veillette is leading Midget AAA with 10 goals and has been called up to Shawinigan to play his first QMJHL game.

He is a major prospect right now.

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
16 year old Martin chromiak continues his rapid development as he started season in Slovak u18 league, than moved to u20, dominating both leagues. Now he has made his debut in top Slovak men’s league and earned an assist in first game. He was the best Slovak player at hlinka Gretzky cup and has seemed to carry his play over.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
16 year old Martin chromiak continues his rapid development as he started season in Slovak u18 league, than moved to u20, dominating both leagues. Now he has made his debut in top Slovak men’s league and earned an assist in first game. He was the best Slovak player at hlinka Gretzky cup and has seemed to carry his play over.

He'll probably go pretty high in the CHL Import Draft if he keeps it up and plans on coming over. Him and Jan Mysak could both go pretty high if they come over. This season the WHL gets first pick in the draft and it's likely going to be Swift Current, Kelowna or Kamloops.

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He'll probably go pretty high in the CHL Import Draft if he keeps it up and plans on coming over. Him and Jan Mysak could both go pretty high if they come over. This season the WHL gets first pick in the draft and it's likely going to be Swift Current, Kelowna or Kamloops.

Mysak would be dumb to come over, stay playing against men for years.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Mysak would be dumb to come over, stay playing against men for years.

Most kids come over to help their draft stock. You never know when you will be the next Hischier and rise to the top. Unless he completely dominates the Czech league next year he likely won't break into that stacked top 10. It may not be agreeable but outside of Liiga and SHL you aren't going to get much exposure in Europe playing in the Czech Republic or Slovakia unless you go the KHL route like Dano and even then he was still a late 1st rounder.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Most kids come over to help their draft stock. You never know when you will be the next Hischier and rise to the top. Unless he completely dominates the Czech league next year he likely won't break into that stacked top 10. It may not be agreeable but outside of Liiga and SHL you aren't going to get much exposure in Europe playing in the Czech Republic or Slovakia unless you go the KHL route like Dano and even then he was still a late 1st rounder.
Mysak is a stable part of a quality league team, as a 16 year old. Considering he's getting about 10 minutes a game and that he signed a 4-year contract I don't see any chance of Mysak coming over. I don't see many 2020 prospects having a better season than Mysak either, at this point he should viewed as a sure fire top 10 prospect with potential for more.

If he wants to perhaps contend for the 1st overall spot, CHL would get him more exposure. But from a development point of view, Extraliga will give him more. The last elite Czech prospects to take the CHL route are Zadina, Zacha and Zboril. Too early on Zadina, who looks good in the AHL. But Zacha and Zboril? Dissapointments, borderline busts at this point.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Mysak is a stable part of a quality league team, as a 16 year old. Considering he's getting about 10 minutes a game and that he signed a 4-year contract I don't see any chance of Mysak coming over. I don't see many 2020 prospects having a better season than Mysak either, at this point he should viewed as a sure fire top 10 prospect with potential for more.

If he wants to perhaps contend for the 1st overall spot, CHL would get him more exposure. But from a development point of view, Extraliga will give him more. The last elite Czech prospects to take the CHL route are Zadina, Zacha and Zboril. Too early on Zadina, who looks good in the AHL. But Zacha and Zboril? Dissapointments, borderline busts at this point.

Even if he was a surefire top 10 he is unlikely to be drafted very high playing in the Czech League unless he puts up Jagr like numbers. Like above PPG, which I'd say is highly unlikely. Guys like Rossi and Rochette came over and are already improving their draft stock. Canada is loaded for 2020 so it's unlikely Mysak can get into the top 10 going up against the likes of Lafreniere, Byfield, Perfetti, Drysdale, Barron, McCLennon, Guhle, Neighbours, Foudy, Jarvis, Sourdif, Coe, Schneider, Holloway. Let alone the other top Euro's like Holtz, Raymond, Gunler, Simontaival, Lundell and Hirvonen.

Mysak will have to have a damn good season in the Czech league to go top 10 against this crop.

Zacha was never really that great, just a big center. Pretty much the only reason he got drafted high. Zboril is a shutdown defender and nothing more really. Never really was anything more.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
An average or better pro league is better for a European prospect than the CHL. If Mysak does extremely well, and is a high pick and has a very good season in Extraliga next season, I think then you consider switching his league. AHL, KHL, SHL are all better options for a top caliber prospect. CHL isn't a better option though.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
An average or better pro league is better for a European prospect than the CHL. If Mysak does extremely well, and is a high pick and has a very good season in Extraliga next season, I think then you consider switching his league. AHL, KHL, SHL are all better options for a top caliber prospect. CHL isn't a better option though.

Top calibre prospects perform well no matter where they go. It's more the exposure aspect. Liiga, KHL, SHL have a lot of exposure. Czech League.. not so much. Czech League is among the lower calibre mens leagues in Europe. You will not go high in the draft there unless you destroy the league.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Even if he was a surefire top 10 he is unlikely to be drafted very high playing in the Czech League unless he puts up Jagr like numbers. Like above PPG, which I'd say is highly unlikely. Guys like Rossi and Rochette came over and are already improving their draft stock. Canada is loaded for 2020 so it's unlikely Mysak can get into the top 10 going up against the likes of Lafreniere, Byfield, Perfetti, Drysdale, Barron, McCLennon, Guhle, Neighbours, Foudy, Jarvis, Sourdif, Coe, Schneider, Holloway. Let alone the other top Euro's like Holtz, Raymond, Gunler, Simontaival, Lundell and Hirvonen.

Mysak will have to have a damn good season in the Czech league to go top 10 against this crop.

Zacha was never really that great, just a big center. Pretty much the only reason he got drafted high. Zboril is a shutdown defender and nothing more really. Never really was anything more.
You know who put up Jagr-like numbers? Jiri Hudler, in 2002, and he went barely in the 2nd round. (And by the way, at that time the Czech Extraliga was viewed as today's SHL is)
Then you have a guy like Filip Chytil, who didn't even break 10 points in the "measly" Czech Extraliga and still got into the 1st round. Not even two years ago. As if scouts actually looked at more than just scoreboard.
Mysak is an extraordinary prospect, better than Zadina. How many of the players you mentioned project to be better prospect than Zadina is?

As for Zacha, before he left for the CHL, he was productive in the Czech second league and recored the exact same stats in Extraliga as Chytil, despite being a year younger. In the OHL he couldn't even maintain PPG in his draft year. Zboril had good draft season, claiming he "never really was anything more" is just wrong. He was a great two-way defenseman with offensive talent, physicality and beatiful skating. Since his draft season he struggles. I am not saying they were ruined by the CHL, in their cases there are different reasons. But it certainly doesn't give much optimism for the top Czech prospects to take this route.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You know who put up Jagr-like numbers? Jiri Hudler, in 2002, and he went barely in the 2nd round. (And by the way, at that time the Czech Extraliga was viewed as today's SHL is)
Then you have a guy like Filip Chytil, who didn't even break 10 points in the "measly" Czech Extraliga and still got into the 1st round. Not even two years ago. As if scouts actually looked at more than just scoreboard.
Mysak is an extraordinary prospect, better than Zadina. How many of the players you mentioned project to be better prospect than Zadina is?

As for Zacha, before he left for the CHL, he was productive in the Czech second league and recored the exact same stats in Extraliga as Chytil, despite being a year younger. In the OHL he couldn't even maintain PPG in his draft year. Zboril had good draft season, claiming he "never really was anything more" is just wrong. He was a great two-way defenseman with offensive talent, physicality and beatiful skating. Since his draft season he struggles. I am not saying they were ruined by the CHL, in their cases there are different reasons. But it certainly doesn't give much optimism for the top Czech prospects to take this route.

IMO Chytil rode Zadina's coatails on his WJC performance. He's a good prospect but not an amazing prospect. Scouts often overate WJC performances. Chytil was barely ranked in the 1st round by most publications some didn't even have him in the 1st round.

Zacha was always more of a two-way player. Zboril was always a shutdown dman, he has zero offence in him. From the moment they stepped on the ice together Chabot was vastly superior. Then you have guys like Zadina, Voracek, Krejci, Frolik, Vrbata, Nedved, Palat who have all played in the CHL and thrived.

Sometimes it's just that the player really wasn't that good to begin with, he just looked good in an inferior league.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Do you mean Necas? Chytil didn’t play on the first line during the WJC.

Players should be worrying about development, not which league has the most scouts watching. Extraliga is a better hockey league than the CHL.

Reactions: Wooren

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Read @Wooren's post. Highly touted Czech players have been more likely to bust in the CHL recently.

He listed 3 players 2 of whom are in the NHL and one who is probably going to play in the NHL soon. Hardly a detriment for playing in the CHL. It doesn't really matter where players play for the most part because in the end its up to that player to succeed or not. No league is going to be a better or worse for any player development wise if they were never going to have the skill or drive to make it.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He listed 3 players 2 of whom are in the NHL and one who is probably going to play in the NHL soon. Hardly a detriment for playing in the CHL. It doesn't really matter where players play for the most part because in the end its up to that player to succeed or not. No league is going to be a better or worse for any player development wise if they were never going to have the skill or drive to make it.

Evidence doesn't back this up, but you are entitled to think what you want.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Read @Wooren's post. Highly touted Czech players have been more likely to bust in the CHL recently.
This type of logic is pretty awful, but unfortunately does fly around these parts a lot.

Guy like Pavel Zacha. I like him. But let's call the shots what they are. He played early in the men's league, not because he's the most talented, but because he matured physically the most. It is generally the case that the most physically mature kids play in the men's league at the youngest age. The connection between maturing early and being the most talented is not all that strong.

So when you make what is very clearly a causal claim. CHL -> bust. One based off of nothing but a few weak correlations. You're throwing out all other factors which could possibly explain the same set of data. At set, by the way, which is extremely small, and is more anecdotal stories than statistical at the moment.

I haven't seen Mysak. I can't say if I knew him personally, what I might recommend. But I also generally ascribe to the notion that it doesn't matter what league you play in, so long as it's reasonably competent. If you have a good coach who trusts in you, teammates and friends who you feel comfortable with, are willing to work hard and improve, and have the talent, you will do fine whether it's one good league or another. People who literally blame "a league" for their personal failings had better look in the mirror and reevaluate their situations.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Money talk:

If he stays in Litvinov also for the next season, the team could receive NHL money, if he signs contract. But how much is it? If some team from CHL will offer them also good money, they will have this + some ratio after his first NHL contract. Correct?

Second. If he sign an NHL contract as a Litvinov player, he could be send directly to AHL. If he will go to Draft from CHL team, he can be send only to CHL team back. Do i understand it correct?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad