2020 NHL Draft Prospects

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
For this draft there are still a good amount of contenders for that 1st oa spot. Lafreniere does seem to be ahead though. Rossi, Simotaival, Byfield, Perfetti, Raymond, and Holtz all seem to be in the mix. Mcclennon might be in the conversation too, depending on how his season goes.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The defencemen in this draft are looking damn good too. Guhle, Drysdale, Delémont, Rhinehart, Schneider, Moore. Shaping up to be a pretty good class.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I have to say that as I was watching the Finnish u18 SM-league top 4 today, I found Simontaival to be more impressive than Kaapo Kakko or Niklas Nordgren there(Simontaival's Tappara played against both of them). Of course, it's possible that these players weren't trying their hardest due to it being at a low level of competition for them but it's still quite impressive, considering that these two players were both top 3 players for Finland at the u18 world championships.

The thing that stood out the most here is that Simontaival is very good at making decisions with the puck upon encountering a tight situation. I noticed that many Finnish players(Laine, Puljujärvi, Kotkaniemi, even Kakko to an extent) struggle when encountering sudden pressure immediately after receiving the puck for instance, but Simontaival seems to be able to make good plays on the fly, very quickly.

Might need to make a little shift-by-shift package out of these two games.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I have to say that as I was watching the Finnish u18 SM-league top 4 today, I found Simontaival to be more impressive than Kaapo Kakko or Niklas Nordgren there(Simontaival's Tappara played against both of them). Of course, it's possible that these players weren't trying their hardest due to it being at a low level of competition for them but it's still quite impressive, considering that these two players were both top 3 players for Finland at the u18 world championships.

The thing that stood out the most here is that Simontaival is very good at making decisions with the puck upon encountering a tight situation. I noticed that many Finnish players(Laine, Puljujärvi, Kotkaniemi, even Kakko to an extent) struggle when encountering sudden pressure immediately after receiving the puck for instance, but Simontaival seems to be able to make good plays on the fly, very quickly.

Might need to make a little shift-by-shift package out of these two games.

I'd love to see those shift-by-shift packages. I agree that many of the recent high end Finnish players seem to have issues while carrying the puck and applying pressure and it gets even more noticeable when they are in the NHL and time and space is limited further. I really like Simontaival's game and I hope he can grow a bit more. Though as it stands he may be entering the NHL at a good time as guys who were small and skilled might have been overlooked he may get more exposure because of it.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I know it's U16 but Niederbach has the numbers there that you would want to see from a future star at that level. Anyone got more info on his game?

He's a very gifted player. Skating, hands, IQ are all there, really good offensive instincts. Comes from a tiny town so he has only played at the U16 level but he was way too good for that league. Will go to Frölunda this upcoming season and it would not surprise me to see him emerge as a top end draft prospect from Sweden along with Holtz and Raymond.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's a very gifted player. Skating, hands, IQ are all there, really good offensive instincts. Comes from a tiny town so he has only played at the U16 level but he was way too good for that league. Will go to Frölunda this upcoming season and it would not surprise me to see him emerge as a top end draft prospect from Sweden along with Holtz and Raymond.

Is he 5'9 as listed on EP? It says his older brother is 6'4, so I assume he still has some growing to do.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I absolutely have to set some time aside to go and see Lafreniere this year. I missed him last year when I caught a few Q games and I fully regret it. I have a feeling watching him on TV doesn't do him justice.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I'd love to see those shift-by-shift packages. I agree that many of the recent high end Finnish players seem to have issues while carrying the puck and applying pressure and it gets even more noticeable when they are in the NHL and time and space is limited further. I really like Simontaival's game and I hope he can grow a bit more. Though as it stands he may be entering the NHL at a good time as guys who were small and skilled might have been overlooked he may get more exposure because of it.
I made a shift-by-shift video of Simontaival's semi-finals against Kaapo Kakko's TPS now. I didn't include very short shifts and had to remove one due to some overlay issues. It includes another one with them but you can at least see something. The first goal wasn't included in the stream so I used a highlight video for it(hence music).

Identification is easy, he's pretty much always the only rightie on ice for Tappara(white-orange), #12 RW

There's around 24-25 minutes of gameplay here:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I made a shift-by-shift video of Simontaival's semi-finals against Kaapo Kakko's TPS now. I didn't include very short shifts and had to remove one due to some overlay issues. It includes another one with them but you can at least see something. The first goal wasn't included in the stream so I used a highlight video for it(hence music).

Identification is easy, he's pretty much always the only rightie on ice for Tappara(white-orange), #12 RW

There's around 24-25 minutes of gameplay here:

Awesome thanks for this!!

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Can only comment on the Western Canada kids. Outside of Neighbours and Guhle I don't see much hi end talent (hopefully that changes). Fortunately 2021 is looking very good.

Actually not a bad crop.

Forwards
Connor McClennon - Kootenay. Will play with Krebs this year.
Justin Sourdif - Vancouver. Smaller but very skilled player.
Seth Jarvis - Really talented winger playing in Portland.
Jake Neighbours - You obviously know him playing on Edmonton.

Defencemen
Kaiden Guhle - IMO the best Dmen I've seen come out of Western Canada in a long time. Size, smooth skater, very poised on PA.
Braden Schneider - Really solid mobile two-way dmen playing with Brandon.
Rhett Rinehart - Big mobile two way defender with a booming shot playing with Prince George.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Actually not a bad crop.

Forwards
Connor McClennon - Kootenay. Will play with Krebs this year.
Justin Sourdif - Vancouver. Smaller but very skilled player.
Seth Jarvis - Really talented winger playing in Portland.
Jake Neighbours - You obviously know him playing on Edmonton.

Defencemen
Kaiden Guhle - IMO the best Dmen I've seen come out of Western Canada in a long time. Size, smooth skater, very poised on PA.
Braden Schneider - Really solid mobile two-way dmen playing with Brandon.
Rhett Rinehart - Big mobile two way defender with a booming shot playing with Prince George.
I should have been more specific. I don't see much hi end NHL potential out of this draft class. I do agree with Schneider I really like what I see out of him. I would take him over every 2001 except Byram and Robertson.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I should have been more specific. I don't see much hi end NHL potential out of this draft class. I do agree with Schneider I really like what I see out of him. I would take him over every 2001 except Byram and Robertson.

I think Guhle is the best of the bunch. He just does everything. Huge minute muncher all situations Dman.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I agree with Albert Tough. Lots of good junior player in the 02 age group, but it looks lacking in high end NHL talent. Neighbors and Guhle look the part, but i've got questions on most of the other guys. One guy i'm interested in is Prokop, who's huge and smooth, but how much offense will there be.

There's some good late 01s, though.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Jean Luc Foudy is faster(seriously) and more skilled than his brother, but he has some selfish tendencies. He's a guy who's junior transition with be very interesting.

Reactions: flamebird

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

Lafreniere is very well scouted, because he is already in QMJHL. But my black horse for 2020 NHL Draft would be Gushchin. He seems to be a natural goal-scorer. Goal machine. To all respect to MHL and even KHL, i think, he should go to some CHL team.
MHL isnt a competition for him and in KHL he would play only a few shifts.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

He has a twin who plays defence. That's pretty cool. Maybe the next Sedins but one on the backend?

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
It's still way too early but here would be my top 31 today :
1. Alexis Lafrenière
2. Quinton Byfield
3. Alexander Holtz
4. Marco Rossi
5. Kaiden Guhle
6. Dylan Peterson
7. Kasper Simontaival
8. Lucas Raymond
9. Cole Perfetti