Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Is Perfetti a shooter? I think I remember reading that somewhere. If so, I wouldn't mind picking him at 10, although I have my heart set on Quinn at that pick.

Yeah he has a good shot, not as good as Quinn but it's good, and I think Perfetti's a better all-around player. If both are available at 10 I'd 99.99% take Perfetti.

Reactions: Taylors lost step

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
If Perfetti falls to #10, which I doubt because I think that’s who Montreal is looking at #9, we’d be dumb to take anyone else if no one out of the top #8 were to fall past the Habs.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
If Perfetti falls to #10, which I doubt because I think that’s who Montreal is looking at #9, we’d be dumb to take anyone else if no one out of the top #8 were to fall past the Habs.

Yeah I doubt he'll be there at 10, but who knows especially with this draft. I think there's a clear top 4 in this draft with Laf being in a tier on his own and then Byfield, Stutzle and Drysdale in the next tier but then following that there's quite a number of guys that are relatively interchangeable with a few that may stick out as slightly ahead of the curve. It may come down to preference and need which may leave a guy like Perfetti available at 10.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
that exact video - he seems like one of those players who just somehow gets the job done, which isn't bad, but he doesn't EXCITE me. i'll have to see his season highlights

A nice video featuring some highlights for him.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
that exact video - he seems like one of those players who just somehow gets the job done, which isn't bad, but he doesn't EXCITE me. i'll have to see his season highlights

Not sure how setting the record for most points and goals in a single Hlinka isn''t exciting enough. The quality of plays, puck time time etc. How 2 goals and 3 shootout goals in one game to win the semi final isn't exciting enough? Fast skating in a straight line isn't the only exciting thing in hockey.

His IQ, playmaking and goal scoring are as good as anyone in this draft.

Here is the OHL created highlight pack:

Reactions: PizzaAndPucks

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I think I’m pretty set on Raymond, Holtz or Rossi for our pick at 6 with Raymond being my first choice pretty easily. But if Stutzle or Drysdale drop to 6, then it would be foolish not to take them.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
On pick 10 - who would you take if the following players are available:

Quinn
Sanderson
Perfetti
Lundell
Askarov

I think I go Askarov if the scouts believe he has the highest potential.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Quinn
Sanderson
Perfetti
Lundell
Askarov

If all those guys are available I'd be pressed to find a reason to pick Askarov to be honest. And I'm 100% open to taking a goalie in the first round, especially a prospect like Askarov. But with Perfetti and Sanderson available I think one of them has to be the option (I'd lean Perfetti but Sanderson would be nice too), and even after that I'd have Quinn as the next option with Lundell/Askarov behind him.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

Quinn
Sanderson
Perfetti
Lundell
Askarov

What did we do at 6? Could affect my decision

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
If all those guys are available I'd be pressed to find a reason to pick Askarov to be honest. And I'm 100% open to taking a goalie in the first round, especially a prospect like Askarov. But with Perfetti and Sanderson available I think one of them has to be the option (I'd lean Perfetti but Sanderson would be nice too), and even after that I'd have Quinn as the next option with Lundell/Askarov behind him.

If Askarov is there with Vancouver's pick, I think I'd be good with that selection for sure. #10 just seems....steep for a goalie?

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
If Askarov is there with Vancouver's pick, I think I'd be good with that selection for sure. #10 just seems....steep for a goalie?

I don't think it's necessarily about #10 being steep for a goalie, especially an elite prospect like Askarov, it's a matter of who else is available. And this draft is rather deep so I'd struggle to think of a scenario where there wouldn't be another impact player also available at 10 that we should take over Askarov.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If we can still get a top forward and a defender the scouting staff sees as one of the best in this years class, I'm all for drafting Askarov.

He would work perfectly for the Devils on the ideal timeline. Blackwood develops into a starter, Askarov learns the ropes as his backup for a few years, and then you make a decision on what to move forward with.

We're running into that territory where we will soon have so many young forwards and defenders and nowhere to play them. Askarov may be a way to get the best value for the Devils at that pick.

Reactions: TBF1972

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
If we can still get a top forward and a defender the scouting staff sees as one of the best in this years class, I'm all for drafting Askarov.

He would work perfectly for the Devils on the ideal timeline. Blackwood develops into a starter, Askarov learns the ropes as his backup for a few years, and then you make a decision on what to move forward with.

We're running into that territory where we will soon have so many young forwards and defenders and nowhere to play them. Askarov may be a way to get the best value for the Devils at that pick.

They have to be good for that to be true. The Devils have plenty of room for impact players on the NHL level. The chances of an impact prospect not able to get time at the AHL level seem pretty low as well

Reactions: glenwo2

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
They have to be good for that to be true. The Devils have plenty of room for impact players on the NHL level. The chances of an impact prospect not able to get time at the AHL level seem pretty low as well

Devils already have that issue this year with a lot of prospects on the first and second year of their entry level deals, especially up front. Gignac, Studenic, Schnarr, and Zetterlund were sitting on a regular basis in Binghamton toward the end of the year due to lack of roster spots. Not top prospects by any means, but all have some untapped potential if they could get more minutes.

Next year you add Foote. Devils likely will pass up on signing Hoelscher as there isn't any room for him. Tyce Thompson, Clarke, and Talvitie will likely turn pro after next season. A forward at #6 should be pushing for a roster spot in the next couple years as well.

It is also a good problem to have, but Devils have been drafting some long term players with late picks like Gritsyuk and Pasic. Good chance they do the same again this draft.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Devils already have that issue this year with a lot of prospects on the first and second year of their entry level deals, especially up front. Gignac, Studenic, Schnarr, and Zetterlund were sitting on a regular basis in Binghamton toward the end of the year due to lack of roster spots. Not top prospects by any means, but all have some untapped potential if they could get more minutes.

Next year you add Foote. Devils likely will pass up on signing Hoelscher as there isn't any room for him. Tyce Thompson, Clarke, and Talvitie will likely turn pro after next season. A forward at #6 should be pushing for a roster spot in the next couple years as well.

It is also a good problem to have, but Devils have been drafting some long term players with late picks like Gritsyuk and Pasic. Good chance they do the same again this draft.
All those guys are drafted after the 2nd round -- planning around those guys seems to be a bit shortsighted, if they pan out -- great make room for them on the team then -- that would open up trade options that would help fill other holes on the team/prospect pool.

If the Devils draft 3 skaters with their first round picks I really doubt they'll fall victim to a numbers game and if they do then you deal with that problem then, but there is really no reason to preemptively plan for that. Get quality and deal with the quantity as it happens.

Gritsyuk can stay in Russia for a while without the Devils losing his rights too. Yeah some of them are going to sit at times but I don't think that's really that big of an issue in the long term and it probably won't apply to any of the high draft picks (sitting for long periods of time in the AHL). And if they become good players in the AHL too they won't be sitting for long either.

In the end I'm not really worried about talented guys being boxed out -- maybe if the Devils' roster was like Tampa's right now but it's not

Last edited:

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I think I’m pretty set on Raymond, Holtz or Rossi for our pick at 6 with Raymond being my first choice pretty easily. But if Stutzle or Drysdale drop to 6, then it would be foolish not to take them.

Yup, this is how I feel too.

Quinn
Sanderson
Perfetti
Lundell
Askarov

Perfetti AINEC. But I really doubt Perfetti will drop to 10 tbh.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I agree with you except for Drysdale. Out of the top 6, I'd prefer one of the forwards.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I really don't want to take Askarov unless it's at 17 and even then I don't WANT to do it. Goalies are so damn hard to predict.

The temptation to find a franchise goalie will get someone to take a chance on him. I feel like it’s been a while since we’ve seen a top 10 goalie. Do we even have confirmation that he will come over to NA? (Russian factor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad