Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
The temptation to find a franchise goalie will get someone to take a chance on him. I feel like it’s been a while since we’ve seen a top 10 goalie. Do we even have confirmation that he will come over to NA? (Russian factor)
i don't think the Russian factor is really that much of an influence. The KHL salary cap is 12 million dollars -- the best players are going to want to come over to the NHL just because of that. All of the high profile Russian players have come over too.

But with the first two picks I'd rather the Devils pick skaters because they can make an impact on the team sooner. At 17 depending on whose there I'd be fine with it but at the same time maybe trying to go for a boom/bust with a guy like Wallinder and taking a goalie like Calle Clang later on the draft seems a bit tempting. I kinda like how the Devils have operated with goalies in the past couple drafts -- take one in the later rounds of each draft and then hopefully one of them will pan out. Nothing against Askarov though I'm just kinda scared about taking goalies high

Last edited:
Reactions: Billdo

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I think Askarov is going to go top 10, he has franchise potential. He is supposed to be a better goalie prospect than knight who went 13 last year. I don’t think he would last to 17. My picks would be Raymond at 6 and Askarov at 10 if they are available. I wonder if LA or Chicago would take Askarov.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Aren’t we not guaranteed 10 anymore with this supposed 24 team playoff?
it depends on if they hold the draft before or after the playoffs. If they do hold it after the playoffs -- they only change seeding for teams that make the conference finals so the coyotes would have to win three rounds to get there, although I suppose they could alter how they do seedings for this new format.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Great Santini

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
On pick 10 - who would you take if the following players are available:

Quinn
Sanderson
Perfetti
Lundell
Askarov

I think I go Askarov if the scouts believe he has the highest potential.

I think I'd go:
1. Perfetti
2. Quinn
3. Sanderson
4. Lundell
5. Someone else. I'm not going Askarov that high.

Reactions: Brooklyndevil

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I really hope they just do the lottery with the 7 teams not included in the playoffs. It'd be kinda dumb for the Habs to get both a massive increase to their playoff chances + keep the same lotto odds or if they beat the Penguins then the Penguins get those lotto odds.
Hopefully they do the lottery before the playoffs and maybe the draft but it'd be pretty annoying if they have neither in June.

Reactions: sabremike

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I really hope they just do the lottery with the 7 teams not included in the playoffs. It'd be kinda dumb for the Habs to get both a massive increase to their playoff chances + keep the same lotto odds or if they beat the Penguins then the Penguins get those lotto odds.
Hopefully they do the lottery before the playoffs and maybe the draft but it'd be pretty annoying if they have neither in June.

I’m hoping that not only are only the 7 non-playoff teams in the lottery but that they make it more random. Let’s make it more random and let’s make it for all 7 spots.

The more aggressive the randomness the more the Devils benefit since they can only drop down 1 spot.

Reactions: glenwo2

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

I’m hoping that not only are only the 7 non-playoff teams in the lottery but that they make it more random. Let’s make it more random and let’s make it for all 7 spots.

The more aggressive the randomness the more the Devils benefit since they can only drop down 1 spot.

Im down for both of these. I really don’t want to see the old system of there is only one winning team and that winner can only move up
4 spots.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

lol that'd be pretty funny. As long as the lottery is just the 7 teams I don't really care how they do it whether it's one team can only move up 4 spots or three teams for the top 3 spots.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Aren’t we not guaranteed 10 anymore with this supposed 24 team playoff?

Assuming the rule stays the same, the Arizona pick would only move if they make the conference finals. So they'd have to win three series potentially.

Anaheim had Philly's 1st in 2010 which was #16 heading into the playoffs but since they made the Cup Final that got bumped to #29.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Assuming the rule stays the same, the Arizona pick would only move if they make the conference finals. So they'd have to win three series potentially.

Anaheim had Philly's 1st in 2010 which was #16 heading into the playoffs but since they made the Cup Final that got bumped to #29.
Refresh my memory please...if the yotes win a round and hall re-signs, we would also get their first round pick next year and not lose this years pick right?

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Refresh my memory please...if the yotes win a round and hall re-signs, we would also get their first round pick next year and not lose this years pick right?

I don't think that would hold up and they'd definitely go to the league over that.

Technically, it's correct, but I do think it goes against the spirit of the trade that we somehow get a top ten pick one year, and still manage to get a second first round pick the next year. At the time of the trade, that simply could not have happened. I feel like they'd have to make it to the final four of the conference

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Two first-rounders was always a theoretical possibility, just not realistic since nobody expects Hall to sign there. We only would not get their first rounder this year if it was top three. The unfair thing would be if the 'round' the Yotes win is a play-in series just to get to the round of 16, that's the condition that would have to be tweaked in all likelihood.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
4. Was talking to agent Jeff Jackson this week, who had a unique idea I liked. If the league wants to create June buzz, have a seven-pick “draft.” Jackson thinks the extra wait is hard on prospects and proposed the idea since, in theory, those players would be the ones with the best chance to make the NHL next season. It also involves the teams that will not compete in the playoffs, giving those fans something to be excited about while their teams spend nine months off. (Maybe sell some tickets, too.)
The format would be pretty simple: Do the lottery with the teams guaranteed to be in it — Detroit, Ottawa (twice), Los Angeles, Anaheim, New Jersey and Buffalo. Twenty four hours later, make your picks. I ran it by some people on Wednesday, and the biggest opposition was that if the 24-team playoff never happens, those other lottery teams really get shafted.

31 Thoughts: Player vote underway on NHL playoff system - Sportsnet.ca
lol imagine

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
The temptation to find a franchise goalie will get someone to take a chance on him. I feel like it’s been a while since we’ve seen a top 10 goalie. Do we even have confirmation that he will come over to NA? (Russian factor)
Ideally he would not come over for the next 2-3 years. So he wouldn't burn any ELC years, while still developing.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I think Askarov is going to go top 10, he has franchise potential. He is supposed to be a better goalie prospect than knight who went 13 last year. I don’t think he would last to 17. My picks would be Raymond at 6 and Askarov at 10 if they are available. I wonder if LA or Chicago would take Askarov.
I like Askarov and haven't ruled him out at #10. But him going to LA at #4, would greatly improve the Devils chances to land Drysdale at #6. If Sanderson also sneaks in ahead of one or more Top 8 players, one of them would fall to Devils at #10. Let it be Holtz. Drysdale (#6) and Holtz (#10) would be my best case scenario without improving the draft position in a lottery.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I don't think that would hold up and they'd definitely go to the league over that.

Technically, it's correct, but I do think it goes against the spirit of the trade that we somehow get a top ten pick one year, and still manage to get a second first round pick the next year. At the time of the trade, that simply could not have happened. I feel like they'd have to make it to the final four of the conference
And if they win two rounds, play-in and the round of 16? Their pick wouldn't be reseeded and one condition for next years pick would be met. So only Hall needs to sign with them in the summer.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
4. Was talking to agent Jeff Jackson this week, who had a unique idea I liked. If the league wants to create June buzz, have a seven-pick “draft.” Jackson thinks the extra wait is hard on prospects and proposed the idea since, in theory, those players would be the ones with the best chance to make the NHL next season. It also involves the teams that will not compete in the playoffs, giving those fans something to be excited about while their teams spend nine months off. (Maybe sell some tickets, too.)
The format would be pretty simple: Do the lottery with the teams guaranteed to be in it — Detroit, Ottawa (twice), Los Angeles, Anaheim, New Jersey and Buffalo. Twenty four hours later, make your picks. I ran it by some people on Wednesday, and the biggest opposition was that if the 24-team playoff never happens, those other lottery teams really get shafted.

31 Thoughts: Player vote underway on NHL playoff system - Sportsnet.ca
lol imagine

The top seven would also get shafted as well, because they'd have literally zero ability to trade down or out since they're making picks a day later, granted there hasn't been a lot of top ten picks traded in recent years but still.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
And if they win two rounds, play-in and the round of 16? Their pick wouldn't be reseeded and one condition for next years pick would be met. So only Hall needs to sign with them in the summer.

That's where an agreement would have to be made or something worked out. I used the final 4 because it matches up with the original trade and traditional playoff structuring of winning one round. But you are correct that they would have to win one more in order to get the pick re-seeded.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I think Chicago just cut ties with both of their Gs

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I like Askarov and haven't ruled him out at #10. But him going to LA at #4, would greatly improve the Devils chances to land Drysdale at #6. If Sanderson also sneaks in ahead of one or more Top 8 players, one of them would fall to Devils at #10. Let it be Holtz. Drysdale (#6) and Holtz (#10) would be my best case scenario without improving the draft position in a lottery.

Drysdale and Holtz would be great!
On the main board there is a Mtl poster offering their pick at 8OA and Mete for Sergachev and TBLs 2nd in '21.
Would anyone here offer our pick at 10 and Butcher for Serg? It woudl be after e see where the picks all fall.
Most think that's a better pkg than Mtls.
I'm just bored and trying to figure how to make us competitive sooner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad