Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
The top seven would also get shafted as well, because they'd have literally zero ability to trade down or out since they're making picks a day later, granted there hasn't been a lot of top ten picks traded in recent years but still.
Its too complicated this year, but in a regular season, 16 teams are in, bottom 6 teams play a round robin, winner gets #1 OA and then seeding continues #2-6, takes the total tank out of it. It leaves 9 teams in limbo (they would fall into pts as current system is, but makes it exciting.
This year I think the way that would work is Det gets 1OA automatically. 2-6 are RR playoff.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
The top seven would also get shafted as well, because they'd have literally zero ability to trade down or out since they're making picks a day later, granted there hasn't been a lot of top ten picks traded in recent years but still.
I don't get how any of the 24 teams that get to play are getting shafted by how some people are putting it. The teams that had the highest lottery chances are getting a massive increase to their playoff chances and the teams that are getting shafted (teams that would have been in the playoffs with a 16 team cutoff) should just have their picks swapped with the team they lose to in the first round so if they lose they'll get a better pick to make up for it.
And if a team like Montreal loses in the first round then they'll have the 8th pick and have had an opportunity in the playoffs that would have never happened if the virus didn't hit. That's enough of a consolation (and same goes to teams like Chicago, Arizona, etc.).

But putting teams that get to play in the play-in round into the lottery is really only shafting the 7 teams that don't get to play at all. I hope the 7 teams and their board of governors representation put up enough of a resistance to the NHL so that if there's a lottery it just involves the 7 teams. I'd be happy if the Devils win the lottery but they could give the top 3 picks to Detroit and Ottawa and I wouldn't care but if the Devils get jumped by a team that got to play in the play-in round I'll be pissed.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I think Askarov is going to go top 10, he has franchise potential. He is supposed to be a better goalie prospect than knight who went 13 last year. I don’t think he would last to 17. My picks would be Raymond at 6 and Askarov at 10 if they are available. I wonder if LA or Chicago would take Askarov.

he isn’t a sure thing but Blackwood is suppose to be the franchise goalie. I get you can never have enough of a good thing but this team has a ton of holes you can’t spend that pick on a goalie if Blackwood is the answer. He’s what 22 years old?

Reactions: nugg and TZdevils

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
4. Was talking to agent Jeff Jackson this week, who had a unique idea I liked. If the league wants to create June buzz, have a seven-pick “draft.” Jackson thinks the extra wait is hard on prospects and proposed the idea since, in theory, those players would be the ones with the best chance to make the NHL next season. It also involves the teams that will not compete in the playoffs, giving those fans something to be excited about while their teams spend nine months off. (Maybe sell some tickets, too.)
The format would be pretty simple: Do the lottery with the teams guaranteed to be in it — Detroit, Ottawa (twice), Los Angeles, Anaheim, New Jersey and Buffalo. Twenty four hours later, make your picks. I ran it by some people on Wednesday, and the biggest opposition was that if the 24-team playoff never happens, those other lottery teams really get shafted.

31 Thoughts: Player vote underway on NHL playoff system - Sportsnet.ca
lol imagine

hockey draft June and buzz are words that will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever attract interest outside of the sport so I think just announcing a regular draft date would be enough

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Drysdale and Holtz would be great!
On the main board there is a Mtl poster offering their pick at 8OA and Mete for Sergachev and TBLs 2nd in '21.
Would anyone here offer our pick at 10 and Butcher for Serg? It woudl be after e see where the picks all fall.
Most think that's a better pkg than Mtls.
I'm just bored and trying to figure how to make us competitive sooner

In a heartbeat. Sergachev is surprisingly very underrated and his numbers are stifled due to being behind some studs in Tampa. I would try making it for the 17 overall and Butcher for Serg and I would be ecstatic because I am excited for the 10th overall possibilities. In the end, you have to give to get and in Serg I think Tampa has a soon to be stud that is ready to emerge in the next year or 2 (he’s 21 or 22 I believe).

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Corey Masisak outlined all the possibile scenarios regarding the Arizona and Vancouver picks.
If the draft order is determined post Playoffs and the Coyotes win the play-in series, their pick would drop down to 16,17 or 18.

The best and worst case scenarios for the Devils when the...

Couldnt read but is there a positive for us or is the best case scenario 6,10,17? (Besides winning three lottery with our pick). Also I like that he used a picture with a player that isn’t on the Devils :laugh:

Reactions: glenwo2

XBS93

Jan 21, 2019
Couldnt read but is there a positive for us or is the best case scenario 6,10,17? (Besides winning three lottery with our pick). Also I like that he used a picture with a player that isn’t on the Devils :laugh:

Best case scenario would be order is determined prior to playoffs, pre-2013 lottery rules are used and Arizona wins the lottery...giving the Devils the 6th and 7th picks. Vancouver's pick is also up in the air since the play-in series is not considered part of the playoffs. If Vancouver loses the play-in series, they won't be considered a playoff team and the Devils will get their 2021 pick rather than 2020.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Best case scenario would be order is determined prior to playoffs, pre-2013 lottery rules are used and Arizona wins the lottery...giving the Devils the 6th and 7th picks. Vancouver's pick is also up in the air since the play-in series is not considered part of the playoffs. If Vancouver loses the play-in series, they won't be considered a playoff team and the Devils will get their 2021 pick rather than 2020.

Sounds like this is starting to squeeze out any positivity for the Devils but oh well, someone’s gotta get the shitty end of the stick.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Sounds like this is starting to squeeze out any positivity for the Devils but oh well, someone’s gotta get the shitty end of the stick.

An unprotected pick next year from VAN would potentially be a huge addition. Look at the last couple that have changed hands. COL getting the OTT pick last year and then OTT getting the SJ pick this season. Good things come to those who wait, although the early bird catches the worm and curiosity killed the cat so maybe I should stay away from cliches.

Reactions: nugg

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
An unprotected pick next year from VAN would potentially be a huge addition. Look at the last couple that have changed hands. COL getting the OTT pick last year and then OTT getting the SJ pick this season. Good things come to those who wait, although the early bird catches the worm and curiosity killed the cat so maybe I should stay away from cliches.

Stop killing the damn cat. You know what they say about people that kill animals.

I would be fine with an unprotected 1st as it adds more fun to watching Vancouver in the standings all season. Just hoping for a better chance with the other 2 picks.

Reactions: SYWTom and My3Sons

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
In theory, an unprotected 1st next year is probably going to be a better pick. Vancouver's starting goalie and four of their top eight scorers had career years. Pettersson, Hughes, and Horvat are the the only ones likely to repeat their performances (maybe Virtanen, he's still young). I expect them to miss the playoffs next year.

That being said, having three picks in the top-20 is really, really hard to pass up.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I’m like 60/40 on the Vancouver pick. I’d rather have next years unprotected but it’s not bad to get a mid first round pick this draft.

I would be bummed if Vancouver pick turns into a late first round pick but those are the breaks.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

best case would be devils win the lotto get 1 pick. Yotes win a round we get their first and then a 3rd becomes a 2nd. Canucks either we get their first this year or next year. I rather next year. That to me is best case

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Stop killing the damn cat. You know what they say about people that kill animals.

I would be fine with an unprotected 1st as it adds more fun to watching Vancouver in the standings all season. Just hoping for a better chance with the other 2 picks.

What if it was Schroedinger's cat? Then we cannot measure whether it is still alive or it influences the outcome.

Reactions: DevilDog

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
If Vancouver were to lose in the play-in round and their pick ended up around 13th or so, would you consider offering them a deal for us to keep the 13th-ish pick so they don't give up an unprotected next year?

It would be a guaranteed 13 pick in a deep draft vs a potential lottery pick next year, but also a potentially worse pick as well.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
If Vancouver were to lose in the play-in round and their pick ended up around 13th or so, would you consider offering them a deal for us to keep the 13th-ish pick so they don't give up an unprotected next year?

It would be a guaranteed 13 pick in a deep draft vs a potential lottery pick next year, but also a potentially worse pick as well.

The Devils don’t pay me enough to make decisions that hard.

Reactions: Nubmer6 and My3Sons

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017

I’m taking the unprotected first. If they offer me 13oa plus a second then I would give them their unprotected first back.

Reactions: Nubmer6

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
If VAN misses I think you have to hold on to the unprotected first unless they pay a premium. Worst case scenario you wait a year to get a similar pick to what you would have gotten this year, or you can use it as ammo in a summer trade for a defenseman, or if you get lucky you pull a Colorado and get a free lottery pick.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I’m hoping that not only are only the 7 non-playoff teams in the lottery but that they make it more random. Let’s make it more random and let’s make it for all 7 spots.

The more aggressive the randomness the more the Devils benefit since they can only drop down 1 spot.
*Sees who's in the #7 spot*

I wholeheartedly endorse this idea!!!!!!!

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I think Arizona loses to Nashville personally, Nashville was really starting to play well before the break IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad