Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
@StevenToddIves

When you have a moment, who do you prefer between Helge Grans and Justin Barron?

- Who has more offensive upside
- Who plays more responsible defensively
- Who is closer to the NHL
- Do they both project as mid-pairing defensemen?
- Are there major longterm concerns about Barron’s injury?

Thanks!

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Drysdale isnt in my top 7 for this draft, I highly doubt one of my players in the 2nd/3red tier won't be available at 6.

There’s no way Drysdale makes it past pick #5, none. The kid is electric and he’s even better then Byram, who went 4th overall last year. One might say that he was better then Byram this year on Canada’s WJC team, being one year younger. There’s not many 17 year old dmen that cracked team Canada and actually made a very solid impact towards a goal medal but he did.

If you like Cale Makar, who seems to be next big thing in regards to blueliners, you’ll like Jamie Drysdale. To me, Marco Rossi is the only other player I can see bumping Drysdale out of the #4 spot. The kid is "Mitch Marner like" and if we can’t land anyone in my top #4, he has to be the guy, he’s just amazing.

Reactions: nugg

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I’m not going to pretend to know who is the BPA at our pick but I can tell you that we’ll pick who we believe it is. There are very few GMs drafting for need and they usually get fired if they do because it’s not a sustainable strategy.

We have zero idea what our team will look like in 2-3 years so taking a dman because it’s a right now need doesn’t make sense. What if we add someone like Dumba, another young D, then Smith and Bahl develop into top 4 guys? Then this dman is a luxury and maybe we need forward depth. Or conversely, what if Palms walks, Foote doesn’t develop, Boqvist is a 3rd liner and none of our other forwards develop much more? Then we’re in big trouble.

Draft BPA, trade for need.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Again, you can't trade for an elite defenseman.

I'd rather spend a 1st rounder to draft one than have to trade a 1st rounder and other good assets for an older one in the future.

Reactions: Devils Army

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
The problem is, if you have a higher grade on a forward, you probably don’t view that defenseman as an elite player or have more questions. That logic doesn’t hold true for reaching for one. The defenseman would have to be BPA.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
He’s a right hand shot but yeah, drafting based on positional need isn’t the right way to go about it.

The Pavel Zacha pick is the prime example of drafting for need instead of going with the best talent (Provorov).

Idk why Zacha is always used as an example of drafting for need going wrong but never mcleod :huh:.

Edit: although i guess tbf, it's too early to claim mcleod is a bust but it's not looking great if I were tbh.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The sheer ping pong luck that has prevented an even bigger disaster from unfolding is a miracle. Even if you think Nico and Jack are not even in the building of any other No. 1 overalls, things could be so much worse.

The McLeod pick was bad but looking at that spot, it was a hard one to get right. The broader reason I dislike the Zacha and McLeod picks is because I felt that they were drafted more for their profile rather than who they were as individual players. Their draft years did not show enough promise to make that sort of bet.

Think the more interesting question is what young roster player we can target with a package that involves one of the 1sts.

Reactions: NJDevils17

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Idk why Zacha is always used as an example of drafting for need going wrong but never mcleod :huh:.

Edit: although i guess tbf, it's too early to claim mcleod is a bust but it's not looking great if I were tbh.

Because someone else's scouting director picked Zacha and because there isn't that clear OMG we passed on this guy below McLeod that there is with Zacha/Barzal. Chichyrun was the second-guess pick at the time and he's obviously looking better than McLeod, but he hasn't been a real game-breaker yet.

Besides, why do people automatically assume anytime a pick goes awry it's because a team drafted for need? That's an easy second guess, they could well have had Zacha/McLeod rated as best on their board or at least comparable to people in their tier. Sure, teams have a board and rank everyone 1-whatever but they also have overall tiers where there isn't really an appreciable difference between the players within that tier. When people scream BPA they act like teams pass on 9.5 guys for 9 guys because of positional need, it's generally closer than that.

Anyway we should try to keep the discussion on THIS year's draft.

Reactions: nugg

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

I agree that McLeod is a better example of drafting for need since the best players after him taken in the 1st round are defenseman. People fixate on Zacha because it was 6th pick in what is considered the best draft since 2003. Zacha was just a bad pick, every team wants big centermen so they’re easy to overrate.

I’m bummed that Jason is not into Drysdale because I can see NJ grabbing him if someone like LA doesn’t grab him first. I do think Drysdale may benefit from recency bias. The high scoring of two hot rookies and the early promise of Heiskanen and Dahlin may have given everyone defenseman fever.

Contrary to some notable recent exceptions, it’s much harder to predict which 18 year olds will be future elite defensemen than it is to pick out which 18 year old forwards have elite offensive upside. It’s rare to have outright busts like Griffin Rienhart, it seems like offensive forwards bust easier, but in most drafts teams get an OK second pair guy in the top 10 while a couple of much better top pair defensemen are found randomly later in the first two rounds and occasionally even later.

Everyone loves the Canes defense but it’s not because of the three defensemen they took with their high 1st round picks in 2015, 2016 or 2017. In fact they got the most out best of those three, Hanifen, by selling high in the Hamilton draft and the got Slavin in the 4th round. It’s easier to judge size, skating and offensive production in juniors than it is to divine who’s going to play the best defense in pro hockey.

Busts are everywhere in drafts but an argument can be made that the best chance of success is to take a forward with elite top line offensive potential with our top pick and go for a defenseman later.

Reactions: Ol Dirty Bstrd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad