Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I've been thinking about synthetic ice in my garage or back yard... how is it? I've heard from some people it's not worth it. I just got a 12x40 patch of cement in the back, filling that with synthetic ice might help with conditioning (and skating better). I also wasn't sure if it could handle the weather in the desert.

I personally don’t like it but it’s better than no ice at all. It definitely won’t hurt your skating and conditioning, that’s for sure.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I personally don’t like it but it’s better than no ice at all. It definitely won’t hurt your skating and conditioning, that’s for sure.

They closed the "closest" rink to me, I think the closest one now is about an hour and a half away. I'm a TERRIBLE skater, so I really need to figure out a way to work on that. I got cement so I can throw on blades and at least do some drills in the back.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
This draft looks great but I am not fully convinced it will be amazing.
Interesting find - discussion before 2017 draft: 2017 Draft Class downgraded from "Weak" to "Terrible"

Lol

I think this draft will be fine. I just think that a lot of people are overhyped about this draft 'cos they have had nothing else to do but read prospect profiles. I find that a lot of times those scouting reports give too positive images of players. Every other player is a possible steal of the draft and players get compared to NHL stars all the time. People always think about the best possible outcome that the prospect could grow into. Like "if this guy just improves his skating he'll be a 80 point scorer for sure" and then that guy never improves his skating and doesn't even become a star on the AHL level.

Truth is that in two years some of those now unquestionable top 10 picks will be criticised and called busts while a random 5th rounder will be talked as a top 5 pick. People will say how they knew that this guy wasn't worth getting drafted in the first round and how GMs and scouts are dumb. Drafting is unpredictable and most of the times you take your best guess and hope for the best.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If we end up with another pick in top 13-15, would you add the 27 or 36th, to move up and grab a Quinn/ Holtz/ sanderson/Mercer/Jarvis. Or do you stay at 13-15 range and keep that extra pick?

I feel like that is the 3rd tier and it kinda ends around the 12th or 13th pick then there is a slight drop off, we need top end talent and if that means giving up a lesser asset to get it I feel like it might be worth it

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
If we end up with another pick in top 13-15, would you add the 27 or 36th, to move up and grab a Quinn/ Holtz/ sanderson/Mercer/Jarvis. Or do you stay at 13-15 range and keep that extra pick?

I feel like that is the 3rd tier and it kinda ends around the 12th or 13th pick then there is a slight drop off, we need top end talent and if that means giving up a lesser asset to get it I feel like it might be worth it

I could see one of those players you listed available at 13 but yeah I think I would throw in the second rounder or maybe 27 to trade up a few spots anyway to get who we want

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I could see one of those players you listed available at 13 but yeah I think I would throw in the second rounder or maybe 27 to trade up a few spots anyway to get who we want
Getting 1 of Rossi/Raymond/Perfetti + Jarvis or Quinn would be an incredible draft.
I think another playmaking center like Rossi or Perfetti will help alot because Steel is just too vanilla
and then being able to also get Quinn or Jarvis too they get a winger for Zegras.

Oct 18, 2011

Im pretty sure I read an interview where Madden said something along the lines of liking the top 20 so that is kinda an indication where they think the fall off may be

Reactions: Getz2noone
Oct 18, 2011
I saw interview where he said 12
Maybe that was it I thought I had seen it mentioned elsewhere they liked the top 20 but yeah the top 12 then gives you a good indication of where they'd want to trade up to unless one of those guys falls

that said I do like some guys in the range of our late first and early second but if last year is any indication the ducks are willing to pay the price to trade up if someone falls like Krebs did last year

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
NJ said that they are open to trade #18 or #20 for a good roster player with a term.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Maybe that was it I thought I had seen it mentioned elsewhere they liked the top 20 but yeah the top 12 then gives you a good indication of where they'd want to trade up to unless one of those guys falls

that said I do like some guys in the range of our late first and early second but if last year is any indication the ducks are willing to pay the price to trade up if someone falls like Krebs did last year

You might have read about top-20 in the draft primer:

Question : Picking in the 25-30 range is something the Ducks are quite familiar with over the years. What can we expect with pick No. 27?
Madden: We've had a lot of experience drafting in that range, 25-30, over the last six, seven, eight years. We always end up with a player in our top-20 on our list. We believe we'll get a really good prospect in that part of the first round. We're excited about that.​

Oct 18, 2011
You might have read about top-20 in the draft primer:

Question : Picking in the 25-30 range is something the Ducks are quite familiar with over the years. What can we expect with pick No. 27?
Madden: We've had a lot of experience drafting in that range, 25-30, over the last six, seven, eight years. We always end up with a player in our top-20 on our list. We believe we'll get a really good prospect in that part of the first round. We're excited about that.​
Yeah that's the one. Its interesting to me thats basically an admission Tracey was a top 20 player on their board

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Yeah that's the one. Its interesting to me thats basically an admission Tracey was a top 20 player on their board

Jones as well

A few take away to this.
1. The Ducks don't reach for prospects with respect to their draft board. Madden also identifies this occurs with other teams as well in that draft primer article. Yet fans think players drafted by teams unexpectedly high are reaches.
2. We're not great at drafting forwards that pan out regardless where they're picked in the draft.
3. Anaheim was willing to give up the talents of Tracey and LaCombe to land Krebs.​

As for Jones, I looked at his EP profile, his draft year production and D+1:

"Max Jones is a diligent and hard-working power forward capable of being an impact player every shift. He's strong on the puck and routinely looks to create separation. He knows his game inside out and has a wide array of tools at his disposal. Strength and speed allow him to bull his way to the front of the net where he is relentless and creates havoc. Makes smart decisions with the puck and doesn't give the opposition time and space. Possesses high-end finishing ability and "wills" the puck to the back of the net. All-in-all, a determined forward who puts tremendous pressure on his opponents when he's on the ice. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016)"

A 6'3 power forward that just keeps going with potential to score. Jones did improve his point-per-game rate between his draft year and D+1. His playoff production also improved between his draft year and D+1. Right now, he's just a third line energy guy who's fast, has an edge, and is undisciplined/raw. I guess he's our new version of Cogs, but he isn't Cogs. He turned 22-years old February. Max may need more seasoning, but we lack talent at the NHL level to keep him developing at the AHL. LoL

I don't know what we're expecting from picks 16 +. Are we expecting 1st line, top-end players between picks 16 to the end of the 2nd round? That's the hope, but that isn't what commonly happens. I'm just hoping we get them to the NHL level. The Ducks are really good at getting players beyond the top-15 to reach the NHL level because they're rarely there on their own. Before the last two years, Ritchie was the last top-10 pick we had, but we got the 10th overall pick because it was package in trading away Bobby Ryan to the Sens. Our original pick in 2014 draft was the 24th overall, which we packaged away to acquire C Kesler in a trade. Our own last top-10 pick was D Lindholm in 2012 at 6th overall, which everyone called as an overreach. That's a six year gap of not having a top-10 pick of our own. We also never had a top-10 pick before then under GM Murray, who took over GM duties on Nov. 2008. Murray's first NHL draft under his direction started in 2009. For a decade, we've had only one top-10 selection of our own doing via record. Not too shabby!

Picks 20-30 (or 31st... Vegas joined the league to make 31 teams in 2017)
2009: 26th, RW Palmieri
2010: 29th, RW Etem
2011: 30th, RW Rakell
2012: ...
2013: 26th, D Theodore
2014: 24th, (traded away in package for C Kesler)
2015: 27th, D Larsson
2016: 24th, LW Jones; 30th C Steel
2017: 29th, (traded away in deal for F Eaves)
2018: 23rd, C Lundestrom
2019: 29th, LW Tracey
2020: 27th, tbd

D Larsson is the cutoff as to how prospects have panned out. Larsson is only 23 yrs old with 113 games played at the NHL level. That means the Ducks have hit on 3 out of 4 prospects in the 20-30 range with Palms, Rakell, and Theo. We're spoiled to expect that type of outcome often. Surprisingly, we're 2 out of 3 with drafting of forwards. I stand corrected on point 2 that I listed in the aforementioned. ha! When Rakell was brought up as an NHL regular during the 2014-15 season, where we had already won the Pacific division two years in a row prior to the 2014-15 season. Which means Rakell was surrounded by a lot of good players on the team. Steel debuted in the 2018-19 season. We were a less talented team in 2018-19 season to where we had to field both Steel and Lundestrom into our starting lineup to begin the season, with Lundestrom playing in his draft year as an 18-year old.

Maybe the Jones, Steel, and Lundestrom group can help be that first step back to having talent on the team again to allow a Tracey to flourish like Rakell when his time comes up. Of course, Zegras and who we pick at 6th overall will probably boost our talents more than who we pick 20-31st. Guess the problem with our current forward grouping is that they're not sheltered with talents around them like Rakell was when he was brought up to the NHL level at age 21. In 2014-15, we had four 20+ goal scorers (Perry, Getz, Belesky, and Kesler) with Perry scoring 33 goals, as well as nine players with double digit goal scoring. In 2018-19, we had one 20+ goal scorer in Silf with 24 goals, but had seven players with double digit goal scoring. In 2019-20, we had two goal scorers with 20+ goals, but only five players with double digit goal scoring.

The loss of Perry, Kesler, and Eaves has a direct impact on our youths as it exploits the lack of talent the NHL club has without those top-end talents providing sheltering. Offensively, I don't know if we did a lot for 2020-21 season, but I know defensively we've improved which includes F Heinen. If our defense can be relied upon, then it may allow our talented forwards to be more creative. Tracey may be following in the footsteps of Rakell's situation when Tracey finally makes his way onto the NHL club a couple of seasons from now.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
A few take away to this.
1. The Ducks don't reach for prospects with respect to their draft board. Madden also identifies this occurs with other teams as well in that draft primer article. Yet fans think players drafted by teams unexpectedly high are reaches.
2. We're not great at drafting forwards that pan out regardless where they're picked in the draft.
3. Anaheim was willing to give up the talents of Tracey and LaCombe to land Krebs.​

As for Jones, I looked at his EP profile, his draft year production and D+1:

"Max Jones is a diligent and hard-working power forward capable of being an impact player every shift. He's strong on the puck and routinely looks to create separation. He knows his game inside out and has a wide array of tools at his disposal. Strength and speed allow him to bull his way to the front of the net where he is relentless and creates havoc. Makes smart decisions with the puck and doesn't give the opposition time and space. Possesses high-end finishing ability and "wills" the puck to the back of the net. All-in-all, a determined forward who puts tremendous pressure on his opponents when he's on the ice. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016)"

A 6'3 power forward that just keeps going with potential to score. Jones did improve his point-per-game rate between his draft year and D+1. His playoff production also improved between his draft year and D+1. Right now, he's just a third line energy guy who's fast, has an edge, and is undisciplined/raw. I guess he's our new version of Cogs, but he isn't Cogs. He turned 22-years old February. Max may need more seasoning, but we lack talent at the NHL level to keep him developing at the AHL. LoL

I don't know what we're expecting from picks 16 +. Are we expecting 1st line, top-end players between picks 16 to the end of the 2nd round? That's the hope, but that isn't what commonly happens. I'm just hoping we get them to the NHL level. The Ducks are really good at getting players beyond the top-15 to reach the NHL level because they're rarely there on their own. Before the last two years, Ritchie was the last top-10 pick we had, but we got the 10th overall pick because it was package in trading away Bobby Ryan to the Sens. Our original pick in 2014 draft was the 24th overall, which we packaged away to acquire C Kesler in a trade. Our own last top-10 pick was D Lindholm in 2012 at 6th overall, which everyone called as an overreach. That's a six year gap of not having a top-10 pick of our own. We also never had a top-10 pick before then under GM Murray, who took over GM duties on Nov. 2008. Murray's first NHL draft under his direction started in 2009. For a decade, we've had only one top-10 selection of our own doing via record. Not too shabby!

Picks 20-30 (or 31st... Vegas joined the league to make 31 teams in 2017)
2009: 26th, RW Palmieri
2010: 29th, RW Etem
2011: 30th, RW Rakell
2012: ...
2013: 26th, D Theodore
2014: 24th, (traded away in package for C Kesler)
2015: 27th, D Larsson
2016: 24th, LW Jones; 30th C Steel
2017: 29th, (traded away in deal for F Eaves)
2018: 23rd, C Lundestrom
2019: 29th, LW Tracey
2020: 27th, tbd

D Larsson is the cutoff as to how prospects have panned out. Larsson is only 23 yrs old with 113 games played at the NHL level. That means the Ducks have hit on 3 out of 4 prospects in the 20-30 range with Palms, Rakell, and Theo. We're spoiled to expect that type of outcome often. Surprisingly, we're 2 out of 3 with drafting of forwards. I stand corrected on point 2 that I listed in the aforementioned. ha! When Rakell was brought up as an NHL regular during the 2014-15 season, where we had already won the Pacific division two years in a row prior to the 2014-15 season. Which means Rakell was surrounded by a lot of good players on the team. Steel debuted in the 2018-19 season. We were a less talented team in 2018-19 season to where we had to field both Steel and Lundestrom into our starting lineup to begin the season, with Lundestrom playing in his draft year as an 18-year old.

Maybe the Jones, Steel, and Lundestrom group can help be that first step back to having talent on the team again to allow a Tracey to flourish like Rakell when his time comes up. Of course, Zegras and who we pick at 6th overall will probably boost our talents more than who we pick 20-31st. Guess the problem with our current forward grouping is that they're not sheltered with talents around them like Rakell was when he was brought up to the NHL level at age 21. In 2014-15, we had four 20+ goal scorers (Perry, Getz, Belesky, and Kesler) with Perry scoring 33 goals, as well as nine players with double digit goal scoring. In 2018-19, we had one 20+ goal scorer in Silf with 24 goals, but had seven players with double digit goal scoring. In 2019-20, we had two goal scorers with 20+ goals, but only five players with double digit goal scoring.

The loss of Perry, Kesler, and Eaves has a direct impact on our youths as it exploits the lack of talent the NHL club has without those top-end talents providing sheltering. Offensively, I don't know if we did a lot for 2020-21 season, but I know defensively we've improved which includes F Heinen. If our defense can be relied upon, then it may allow our talented forwards to be more creative. Tracey may be following in the footsteps of Rakell's situation when Tracey finally makes his way onto the NHL club a couple of seasons from now.
Maybe like other young talents, they just flourish for themselves and make others better.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Chris Peters mock draft

6. Jamie Drysdale, D, Erie (OHL)
27. Noel Gunler, RW, Lulea (Sweden)
36. Ozzy Wiesblatt, RW, Prince Albert (WHL)

The Ducks have built a steady prospect pool, but they could really use a game-breaker on defense. Drysdale has the potential to be just that. With where Anaheim is, the only way the Ducks don't take a defenseman is if Drysdale and Jake Sanderson are already gone, but that is pretty unlikely.
Either way, this is a chance to address a key need while continuing to address a relatively talented and exciting group of young forwards already in the system. Gunler is a wild card in the draft but has notable skill, while Wiesblatt is a tenacious, speedy and skilled forward who fits stylistically with Anaheim and would provide good value at No. 36.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Chris Peters mock draft

6. Jamie Drysdale, D, Erie (OHL)
27. Noel Gunler, RW, Lulea (Sweden)
36. Ozzy Wiesblatt, RW, Prince Albert (WHL)

The Ducks have built a steady prospect pool, but they could really use a game-breaker on defense. Drysdale has the potential to be just that. With where Anaheim is, the only way the Ducks don't take a defenseman is if Drysdale and Jake Sanderson are already gone, but that is pretty unlikely.
Either way, this is a chance to address a key need while continuing to address a relatively talented and exciting group of young forwards already in the system. Gunler is a wild card in the draft but has notable skill, while Wiesblatt is a tenacious, speedy and skilled forward who fits stylistically with Anaheim and would provide good value at No. 36.

Not necessarily directed at you (unless you know) but a lot of people have been saying they view Drysdale as another Fowler level d-man. Just curious what guys like Makar, Hughes, etc. showed before their draft that Drysdale hasn't. His skating seems to be really good, which should fit the new NHL very well. Not rushing him to the NHL at 18 might (hopefully) let him develop better than Cam if we do draft him.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017

Just finished watching this on top of every other video I have seen of him. Excellent skater just not dynamic enough to justify taking him over a forward that will be available imo.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
This is a completely random (read: schizophrenic) thought but I realized today that the Ducks as a franchise are very Irish.

In their front office, they have a Murray (Bob), Ryan (Tim), Madden (Martin), and a McNab (David). All Irish names. Burke (Brian) is also an Irish name.

In addition, they seem to draft an inordinate number of players with Irish names (Tracey, McLaughlin, Terry, O'Brien, Holland, O'Dell, McMillan, MacMillan, Morrison). You could count Bobby Ryan too although that's not his real last name.

I don't really have a point here but all I'm saying is don't be surprised if we draft Quinn at 6.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Rossi grows on you the more you watch. I'm pretty sure he'll be available at 6 so we'll see what Madden thinks.

I'm really starting to think Sanderson is going to the Sens at 5, if Detroit doesnt take him. Keep hearing how much NHL Scouts really love this kid.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Rossi grows on you the more you watch. I'm pretty sure he'll be available at 6 so we'll see what Madden thinks.

I'm really starting to think Sanderson is going to the Sens at 5, if Detroit doesnt take him. Keep hearing how much NHL Scouts really love this kid.
Sens also have very, very strong ties with North Dakota, where Sanderson is commited to

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Sanderson’s skillset is very similar to Slavins. I don’t know if he quite has that upside but if you offer me Slavin at 5 or 6 overall I take that all day.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Sanderson’s skillset is very similar to Slavins. I don’t know if he quite has that upside but if you offer me Slavin at 5 or 6 overall I take that all day.
I think he plays similar but is way more explosive, he has moments when he looks like Makar. He also has leadership, they quizzed his team which teammate would they want on their next team and every single person picked Sanderson

Reactions: Paul4587
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad