Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
It’s possible, but only if Terry, Steel, or Comtois realize their potential.

Let’s say the 3 of them get 170 points between them. The Ducks are making the playoffs.
I'll bet anything with anyone

Oct 18, 2011
I’d rather trade Rakell or Manson for a 1st round pick in 2021 with a team who is a bubble playoff team or a team that is still rebuilding. Hope for this best that the pick ends up being what Ottawa got from San Jose. Imagine being able to draft a combination of Brandt Clarke, Owen Power, Kent Johnson, Carson Lambos, Aatu Raty, or Luke Hughes. Being able to draft 2 of these guys would be amazing.
Agreed also going into next year knowing we have two firsts already gives you 3 straight drafts with 2 firsts. We will either hit on some players or find out some new voices are needed in the draft room

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Going deep into the playoffs? I just want to get back first. heh

2017-18 defensive roster (last time we went to the playoffs)
King Beauch
Bxa
Fowler
Holzer
Magnus (Lindholm)
Manson
Megna
Montour
Pettersson
Vatanen... for about 15 games until we sent him off for Henrique.
Welinski​

2020-21 Projected defensive roster
Magnus
Manson
Fowler
Gudz
Djoos
Curran
Hankanpaa​

I agree that we have one top-pairing defenseman in Lindholm (26 yrs old), but we don't need a similarly top talent to complement Lindholm as proven by his mates in Manson (28 yrs old) and then Gudz. Fowler (28 yrs old) is an amazing second pairing defenseman and can exploit this well. Again, a defensive d-man complements Fowler well as we found out when Gudz was his mate. Djoos is a solid second pairing defenseman who we have as our #5. The dark horse is Curran as he could become PP1 QB and give us that offense from the blue line again. If Curran turns out to be a solid second pairing guy playing #6, then we've improved our defense drastically as we don't have to shelter our bottom pairing as well as ease the burden of playing time for the top 2 pairings.

This also means youngings like Larsson and Guhle get to stew longer in the AHL as well as provide us with more depth as a 6th defenseman. We might have gems in NCAA prospects LaCombe and Thrun. I've been reading up on Andersson. Apparently, he's likes to play offense, but needs to tune his defensive play. As of right now, there are no clear cut studs on defense in our system. This is why the additions of Gudz (28 yrs old), Djoos (just turned 26), and Curran (30) are important and should they pan out, then we don't needs studs right away. Getting Drysdale or Sanderson would make us spoiled defensively.

At forward, we're lacking NHL quality players and Getzlaf won't be around too long or have a reduced role. We're in dire need of top end talent. Before the 2019-20 season started, I was hyped on Steel, Terry, and Comtois! All that hype faded away during the season. We have Zegras coming up and it's so difficult to keep that hype train down. Zegras alone can't do it. He'll need help. Getzlaf had his twin, Perry, and usually another big forward like Penner, Maroon, or Eaves. Top end scoring forwards are difficult to find and expensive to get. We had to send Vatanen and a 2019 3rd round pick to get Henrique. Most teams don't let their top goal scorers on the cheap.

That would be my gamble. Try to get top end forward talent while we still have Lindholm around, possibly for the next 7 years. I would like our forwards to start carrying part of the load away from our defense and netminding. Going into next year, we're going to rely heavily on our defense and netminding if we want a playoff spot. Maybe Zegras can give us that jump start, but we need more than just Zegras going forward. I want to start living on the offensive end than holding onto dear life on the defensive end, hoping we don't exhaust Gibby into early retirement. LoL
I hear your desire to get back to the playoffs, but if we don't rebuild the right way right now we will not have access to top talent a few years down the road and will get stuck with a mediocre team and no great draft picks. Imo thats how you suffer through a decade of crap. I think we should be building for our next window, which I see as 3-9 years from now. Guys that don't match that window should be used to acquire assets and help improve our draft position by trading away. Id target top pairing defensemen and centers. You can absolutely find legit wingers in mid round picks and free agency and I don't think you have to have 40 goal wingers to win a cup. If over this years and next years draft we can get a top pairing defensemen and a top line center id say we have the best young core in the league. Right now we have a shit team and average to above average young talent. Not good enough

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
I think Detroit's going to take Askarov at 4.

I might be reading into this too much but Detroit had 11 draft picks last year and picked 0 CHL players but 7 foreign players.

And Yzerman drafted both Kucherov and Vasilevskiy so he's not afraid to draft Russians.

I think the top 5 goes like this:

1. Lafreniere
2. Byfield/Stutzle (I think Byfield is better but the Kings might galaxy-brain themselves into taking Stutzle)
3. Byfield/Stutzle
4. Askarov
5. Sanderson (Dorion likes the USHL, and this way they get one F and one D)

Funnily enough I have no idea who our front office would take in this situation. I'd guess they value centers based on previous comments so that rules out Raymond but both Rossi and Perfetti might not stick there either. I don't think you can really go wrong with anyone in this tier but I'd guess they take Perfetti.

Last edited:

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Ottawa is definitely taking 2 forwards and I think Detroit takes Perfetti

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
Ottawa is definitely taking 2 forwards and I think Detroit takes Perfetti

Probably. Mostly I just wanted to put this guess in writing so if Detroit does actually take Askarov I can say that I "called it."

But the more I think about it the more I think the Wings should take Askarov. I think that makes a lot of sense for them.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
on draft day Im planning on closing my eyes, covering my ears and thinking of Rossi until he materializes as a duck

Reactions: Dan10900

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
on draft day Im planning on closing my eyes, covering my ears and thinking of Rossi until he materializes as a duck
I think you should pour yourself two (or three) fingers of single-malt, open a good book and read it, then check what we did before retiring for the evening, and be content with our choice.

Reactions: Kalv

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
I think Detroit's going to take Askarov at 4.

I might be reading into this too much but Detroit had 11 draft picks last year and picked 0 CHL players but 7 foreign players.

And Yzerman drafted both Kucherov and Vasilevskiy so he's not afraid to draft Russians.

I think the top 5 goes like this:

1. Lafreniere
2. Byfield/Stutzle (I think Byfield is better but the Kings might galaxy-brain themselves into taking Stutzle)
3. Byfield/Stutzle
4. Askarov
5. Sanderson (Ottawa needs RD, Dorion likes the USHL, and this way they get one F and one D)

Funnily enough I have no idea who our front office would take in this situation. I'd guess they value centers based on previous comments so that rules out Raymond but both Rossi and Perfetti might not stick there either. I don't think you can really go wrong with anyone in this tier but I'd guess they take Perfetti.

Sanderson is a LD not a RD

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I hear your desire to get back to the playoffs, but if we don't rebuild the right way right now we will not have access to top talent a few years down the road and will get stuck with a mediocre team and no great draft picks. Imo thats how you suffer through a decade of crap. I think we should be building for our next window, which I see as 3-9 years from now. Guys that don't match that window should be used to acquire assets and help improve our draft position by trading away. Id target top pairing defensemen and centers. You can absolutely find legit wingers in mid round picks and free agency and I don't think you have to have 40 goal wingers to win a cup. If over this years and next years draft we can get a top pairing defensemen and a top line center id say we have the best young core in the league. Right now we have a shit team and average to above average young talent. Not good enough

There's more than one way to build a team into contenders.

This window you're talking about and trading NHL'ers for draft picks, isn't that what Bob has been doing?

Multiple first round picks
2014: 10th Ritchie and 24th (used as part of a trade package for Kesler)
2016: 24th LW Max Jones and 30th C Steel
2019: 9th C Zegras and 29th LW Tracey
2020: 6th and 27th​

Losing Kesler, Perry, and Eaves simultaneously (and some for multiple seasons) hasn't given the youth movement enough time to mature. 2014 netted Ritchie and Kase. Ritchie didn't pan out as a top-10 pick, but Kase did pan out as a player except he couldn't stay on the ice long enough.

We have a scout team. Let them do their job and find talent across the board. We've found talent in the bottom of the first (RW Palms, D Theodore, RW Rakell), in the 2nd round (C Wild Bill, G Gibson, D Monty, D Pettersson), in the 3rd round (G Andersen), in the 4th round (D Vatanen), 6th rd (D Manson), and 7th rd (RW Kase).

You have no idea how this team can be when healthy for most of the season. When any team gets hit with a multitude of injuries, then it's usually going to be a crap show. The youth wave wasn't supposed to be relied upon last year nor two years ago. Remember, Eaves contract ended this past season. Kesler is still on the hook until 2021-22 season. Perry's contract mimicked Getzy's contract, which ends this season. Losing those three talents on top of all the other injuries just makes it difficult to overcome. We had a top line of Eaves-Getz-Perry and Kesler on the 2nd line.

We finished in the bottom not because we were tanking, but because we lost so much talent to compete with. The Sporting News' 2019-20 team prospect ranking had us at 11th overall. The Hockey Writers had us at 9th on its Sept 2020 edition. Also, THW ranked Zegras #1 prospect overall. Apparently, we have talent, but still needing some more maturing. And we're going to be adding two more first round selections in this year's draft.

As a Duck fan, the most important player on the ice is your goalie as we've made it to the Stanley Cup Finals as a 7th seed with an elite netminder, playing solid team defense, and timely scoring. In 2002-03, the Ducks ranked 22nd in Goals For (203 goals), 6th in Goals Against (193 goals against), and a positive differential of + 10.

2018-19: games = 82, GF = 199, GA = 251, goal diff = -52
2019-20: games = 71, GF = 187, GA = 226, goal diff = -39​

Our defense going into 2020-21 season is so much better than it was going into 2019-20 season as we added RHD Gudz, LHD Djoos, and LHD Curran (who can play RHD) since the start of the 2019-20 season. With a top-6 filled out, then both Larsson and Guhle will be seasoning in the AHL along with RHD Andersson (who should be coming over once the AHL season starts because he's on loan with Allsvenskan, not his SHL team). We can improve that GA statistic this year as we have more depth on the blue line.

The makeup of our forward group remains unknown. A 9-game set is a small sample space with new forwards Heinen and Milano. Heinen fits the 200-ft disciplined type player the Ducks like, who plays similarly to Silf, but without that lazer shot. Then there's the Zegras factor. C Backes is training hard too, as the Ducks have intimated on keeping him with the club for the season.

The Golden days was with Getz and Perry, who were not selected in the top-15. Yet Getz and Perry had older players on the club such as Teemu, Andy Mac, both Neidermeyer brothers, Prongs, Kunitz, Pahlsson, and Marchant. Trading for middling teen picks by amputating your NHL club doesn't seem like a right move. If you can nab a top-3 pick, then that could help you revive your organization. The Rangers are going to turn around quickly with #2 overall in 2019 draft and they'll be picking #1 overall this year, due to the lottery. We aren't that lucky. The Kings get to land the #2 overall due to the lottery. The Kings drafted 5th last year. Again, we aren't that lucky. But we did land Zegras, so we might have some luck. Zegras' draft classmates got some acclaim in 2nd rd D LaCombe and 4th rd D Thrun. You have no idea if either defensemen can be top-4 blue line NHL guys for us.

Let our scouts do their work than be lazy to try to overload on the draft in two draft seasons for a potential window four or five years down the road with no actual NHL talent on the team by then as well. Again, we've been doubling up on first round picks for a while. We got lucky once with doubling up first round picks in 2003 with the drafting of the Twins, Getz and Perry. We also got lucky that Perry didn't get traded to the Oil.

We have been ranked at the bottom for PP goals and PP efficiency for the past few years. Last year, we scored 27 PP goals as we ranked last in the league. The top PP team was the Oil with 59 PP goals, that's 32 more PP goals than us! If we play sound defense and start scoring more on the PP, then having that goal scorer would carry that much more value. When you watch the Zegras WJC highlights, the receiving end of Zegras' passes was goal scorer Kings' prospect Kaliyev. Wouldn't you want to maximize Zegras' talent?

I like Holtz. I like Drysdale. I like Sanderson. I like Rossi. I like Raymond's potential. I just prefer Holtz because teams don't like to give up NHL goal scorers and if they do, then it'll be costly. We have an elite netminder signed for a long time. We have a top-end defenseman who's only 26 and will be re-signed on a long term deal. Lindholm's proven he just needs a solid defensive defensemen to be his line mate for that top pairing to succeed. We have a very good 2nd pairing defenseman signed on a long term deal in Fowler. We need help on the forward side, particularly scoring. Rossi has high talent, but I'm skeptical he can be a 1C. If you want a center that will be a 1C, then you're looking at Byfield and Stutzle, but we're picking 6th and not in the top-3. Raymond may need a little bit longer in developing to adapt to playing against men. As for Perfetti, I'm just unsure of him (DD has contrarian views on Perfetti: not so good on individual scouting, but high ranking on his top-10). Holtz proved he can score (goals and get assists) against men last year. That's something Raymond should have been doing with his elite skills, but didn't.

Finding legit wingers... to do what? We haven't had a lot of great finds in forwards in the draft.

It would be a shame to waste Getzlaf's year and for sure wouldn't return to the Ducks if the Ducks were selling their NHL talent away for the potential of the future. We already had a preview where this team fielded most of its youth prospect at forward and defense last year. Why would I want to see that for the next five years? GM Murray doesn't want that either. That is why he went after older defensemen in Djoos and FA signing of Curran. Also, he hopes to have both Milano and Heinen healthy (knock on wood). Maybe C Backes plays the similar role that Todd Marchant played for us way back when? Murray sent Terry back down to the A to improve being a driver, but couldn't with C Steel because we don't have talent that can replace him at the NHL level last year. We do now in Zegras.

We won't be a scoring machine, but we'll be a better 200 ft team as Silf won't be the only defensive-minded forward on the team with the addition of Heinen. What the Dallas Stars are this year are who we could become next year.

2019-20 Dallas Stars, Regular Season
GF = 180 goals, GA = 177 goals against, goal diff = -3​

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Interesting thing:

Hockeyprospects.com predicted top6 in 2017, IIRC. The precise order. That said, last year they were a bit off but so far it does not look bad.
This year they have Sanderson and Quinn at #5 and #6.
Have to say, when I re-watched Quinn on DD. Damn, he can be smooth. A real goal scorer

Reactions: Paul4587

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
This draft is so damn good.

Out of all the years this year most I have no idea who we are going to take.

Could be any of the following:
Perfetti
Raymond
Rossi
Sanderson
Drysdale
Holtz
Quinn

and even more.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Changes every week but at this moment I think it goes:

1. Laf, 2/3. Stutz/Byfield, 4. Perfetti, 5. Rossi

Which would leave us to choose from Raymond, Sanderson, Holtz, Drysdale, Quinn, Jarvis etc.

I agree this draft is going to go down as a notably strong and deep draft. Hoping to see one of Rakell/Manson moved to get another pick in the early to middle 1st rd.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I gained the same amount... Except I credit my change to quarantine.

I was on that path... started feeling old as hell so I installed full synthetic ice throughout my garage with a full size net etc. Also added an exercise bike and a wiffle pitching machine.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I was on that path... started feeling old as hell so I installed full synthetic ice throughout my garage with a full size net etc. Also added an exercise bike and a wiffle pitching machine.

I've been thinking about synthetic ice in my garage or back yard... how is it? I've heard from some people it's not worth it. I just got a 12x40 patch of cement in the back, filling that with synthetic ice might help with conditioning (and skating better). I also wasn't sure if it could handle the weather in the desert.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I've been thinking about synthetic ice in my garage or back yard... how is it? I've heard from some people it's not worth it. I just got a 12x40 patch of cement in the back, filling that with synthetic ice might help with conditioning (and skating better). I also wasn't sure if it could handle the weather in the desert.

It takes a slight adjustment from your first step since you wont glide as easily when you put your glide foot down, once you get a little momentum it feels very similar to ice. It also shreds up as part of the process so you have to clean up after. I got the lesser of the thickness offered at HockeyShot, guess it's supposed to last 3-5 years of skating. Besides that I think it's worth it, closest you're gonna get to the real thing and it'll get you out there skating. It's also durable enough to park on or whatever so it kind of acts like Sport Court.

Reactions: lwvs84
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad