NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Did Marner at the time of the draft have perceived "low character " concerns? I don't really recall.

I do remember size and work ethic being two huge question marks .

Dorion did pass on Kaliyev for Pinto because of character and so far that looks like a mistake

A lot of teams passed on Kaliyev. There's definitely something strange going on with that kid. I have no qualms with the team passing on him.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
Marner puts up more points than Stone sure. But overall player and come playoff time? Stone > Marner.

Points aren't everything

You do not even need to wait until the playoffs.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Definitely gone off track here, but yeah Raymond is an incredible talent and Marner is a good comparable, both in terms of style of play and potential.

He's definitely in the same tier as Lafreniere and Byfield.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
His upside is way higher, imagine a 6'6 Hossa that plays center.
I didn’t love byfield in the 67s series. But he was a rookie trying to carry his team against a much better team, so there’s context there.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I didn’t love byfield in the 67s series. But he was a rookie trying to carry his team against a much better team, so there’s context there.
I did, his work ethic and two way play showed he really cared and if he isnt scoring he contributes in other ways on the ice. 67s were matching 19 year old Chmlevski and Bahl against him as a 16 year old. Not an easy matchup especially when the opposition is way deeper and more talented. He was a star in the first round too. Im expecting a huge breakout year this year and for him to play on the WJC team.

Reactions: Karlstrobe

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It feels like it has been a while since two+ Canadian draft eligible forwards made the U20 team.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I did, his work ethic and two way play showed he really cared and if he isnt scoring he contributes in other ways on the ice. 67s were matching 19 year old Chmlevski and Bahl against him as a 16 year old. Not an easy matchup especially when the opposition is way deeper and more talented. He was a star in the first round too. Im expecting a huge breakout year this year and for him to play on the WJC team.
Rewatching this mornings game. Looks good in the early going

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Byfield has elite #1 C potential.

He's a project compared to the other top guys in the draft, but he probably has the most potential if he puts it all together.

Reactions: Karlstrobe

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Everyone made fun of buttons lapierre ranking but the kid looks really really good

Yup. 2nd most notable team Canada player for me.

Hes very intelligent. Hard working and an excellent passer. Shows very good poise and calmness with the puck.

He looks like potential top 10 material. In this years draft that might be hard though

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Byfield has elite #1 C potential.

He's a project compared to the other top guys in the draft, but he probably has the most potential if he puts it all together.

Totally agreed on this. Its still why i have him #1 at the moment. Top end #1 C potential.

To me he looks like to have Getzlaf, E Staal potential. Maybe even better because he skates way better than both

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I really like Byfield, but......with his size and strength I'd expect him to dominate this summer tourney. That's the thing with big guys...they can do so much with size alone, that it drastically skews perceptions.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I really like Byfield, but......with his size and strength I'd expect him to dominate this summer tourney. That's the thing with big guys...they can do so much with size alone, that it drastically skews perceptions.
Yes I would be a little bit cautious with a player his size playing in junior against 160lb kids. Of course he is going to physically dominate, but will he leave the same impression when playing against players his size?

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Yes I would be a little bit cautious with a player his size playing in junior against 160lb kids. Of course he is going to physically dominate, but will he leave the same impression when playing against players his size?
It always depends on each player but I would not be worried with a potential superstar like him. He has all the tools to succeed in the NHL

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Like they will be even better when they fully reach their potential and arent as far along in their development as a smaller player? I totally agree.

I agree that big players can dominate at lower levels based on strength and size alone but thats not what makes Byfield elite. He has no issues with pace, processing or individual skill.

With all these teams going small on the back end if you can find a forward with size, skill, skating and vision I believe they will be even more dominant.

Honestly my only question for Byfield was his vision, that was the one thing I wasnt sure about. Its not longer an issue in my mind. Looks to be a strength.

Small players consistently develop alot earlier than big players as they simply take longer to grow into their bodies. The fact he can push the pace already being so much bigger than everyone is what makes him so interesting and unique.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vprime

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
The Neighbors kid has been noticeable too. Hard working and likes to agitate.

Guhle reminds me of Methot actually. Physical two way guy great on the pk. I like him too.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
A lot of teams passed on Kaliyev. There's definitely something strange going on with that kid. I have no qualms with the team passing on him.

A lot of teams passed on Kopitar, Sens included. Sens never drafted good in the first rounds. After first is a crap shoot, just got lucky. Not because they smart or knew something.
-Jared Cowen
-Mika Zibanejad
-Stefan Noesen
-Matt Puempel
-Cody Ceci
-Curtis Lazar
-Logan Brown
-Thomas Chabot
-Colin White
Outside of Chabot.............all total garbage. Even Zibanejad, never liked him.
Because of the terrible drafting, that's the reason Ottawa is bad for years!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad