NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Wouldn't complain with a Byfield/Drysdale duo at all but I'd prefer Byfield and one of Perfetti/Stutzle/Askarov.
We need more an elite RHD then a forward or goalie after Byfield imo but of course Perfetti stutzle or ASkarov would be great too

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
We need more an elite RHD then a forward or goalie after Byfield imo but of course Perfetti stutzle or ASkarov would be great too

I don't disagree with that but imo JBD will be the perfect compliment on the RD to Chabot. Personally I would use one of our 2nd rounders to get another RD to play with Brannstrom on the 2nd pairing.

If end up with 2 high picks in the 1st round, I want to use them on elite offensive forwards or a likely superstar goalie.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I don't disagree with that but imo JBD will be the perfect compliment on the RD to Chabot. Personally I would use one of our 2nd rounders to get another RD to play with Brannstrom on the 2nd pairing.

If end up with 2 high picks in the 1st round, I want to use them on elite offensive forwards or a likely superstar goalie.
I hear ya
Depends on how they view JBD and rate Perf Stut and ASka I guess
I just think there a big step between Drysdale and Barron and the rest of the RHD in this upcoming draft but thats just me

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Just imagine getting picks 1 and 2... would be the most exciting moment as a Sens fan in years, if not ever

Right now, that's sitting around a 2 and half % chance. Almost as likely we end up drafting 4th and 9th which would be just about the most "Sens-like" result I can think of...

I wouldn't target any particular position, Drysdale looks great, but we have JBD and Thomson at RD so it's not really a glaring hole in our pool that needs addressing. Askarov could be a franchise goalie, but with Hogberg, Daccord, and Gustafsson and Sogaard we have great depth at the position, plus goalies are voodoo.

Tim Stutzel looks amazing to my eye, but I've only seem highlights. Byfield is the guy that fills our "needs" best imo, but there's no going wrong with the top 8 or so guys. We should get a really good player.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Right now, that's sitting around a 2 and half % chance. Almost as likely we end up drafting 4th and 9th which would be just about the most "Sens-like" result I can think of...

I wouldn't target any particular position, Drysdale looks great, but we have JBD and Thomson at RD so it's not really a glaring hole in our pool that needs addressing. Askarov could be a franchise goalie, but with Hogberg, Daccord, and Gustafsson and Sogaard we have great depth at the position, plus goalies are voodoo.

Tim Stutzel looks amazing to my eye, but I've only seem highlights. Byfield is the guy that fills our "needs" best imo, but there's no going wrong with the top 8 or so guys. We should get a really good player.
Agree with most of this, however, I'm all in on Byfield first & Askorov second & the GM doing everything possible to get them. Lafreniere would also be a great pick.

Goalies can be voodoo & the ones we have certainly could, I'm not sure anyone is certain of anyone of them, but Askorov could be a generational goalie for this franchise. There's also Jaros RD, have people started giving up on him already?

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
I hear ya
Depends on how they view JBD and rate Perf Stut and ASka I guess
I just think there a big step between Drysdale and Barron and the rest of the RHD in this upcoming draft but thats just me

Very fair and I wont pretend to know much about Drysdale or Barron. If they are a big step up on the rest of the RD and can play a complete game, I would take them.

I also think we can package 2 x 2nds + a 3rd to get back into the 1st round (22-31). Teams will see this draft depth and might bite.

Reactions: Alex1234

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Doesn't Lassi T project as the 2nd pairing RD ? If you are picking early in 2020 there are great positional options everywhere. I think the Sens can afford to go with their organization need.

The org appears to have recently invested in 4/6 D spots, 4/2 Goalies Spots, and 4+/12 Forward positions. IMO our glaring need is a 1C and a 1-2 RW/LW.

Defense - TC, EB, JBD, and LT. 4 1RD picks still on ELC's (or less)
Goalie - Mads, Gus, Hog, Dac
LW - Brady 1-2LW,
C - Brown 2C - Norris 2-3C
RW - White 2-3RW Bath 2-3RW

There is a cost of drafting another D or even a goalie. It relegates a past 1RD or 2ND pick to a lower level. We could have used F selections on the Mads or LT pick. Taking another D/G sorta relegates previous picks to 5th DMAN or backup goalies when we still lack a 1C or 1-2RW/LW.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Centres - L. Brown 1C, White 2 or 3C, Norris 2 or 3C & Kastelic 4C - (Byfield 1C)
LW - Tkachuck 2nd line, Formenton 3rd line, Paul 4th line (Byfield/Lafreniere 1st line)
RW - Batherson 1st or 2nd line, Pinto 2nd or 3rd line, C. Brown 3rd line
- unknown if Duclair sticks, unclear if Davidsson RW or Veronneau RW ever make it.

LD - Chabot 1st pair, Brannstrom 2nd pair, Wolanin 2nd pair, Lajoie 3rd pair
RD - Zaitsev 1st or 2nd pair, Thomson 1st or 2nd pair, JBD 1st or 2nd pair, Jaros 3rd pair
- Zaitsev is signed for 5 yrs.
- I'd trade Brannstrom for a young top line RW

Goalies - ??? - unsure which of Ottawa's goalies could be a #1 goalie in the NHL.
- Askorov is forecasted to be a #1 goalie & better than any goalie in Ottawa's system.
- lots of assets in net that could be moved to upgrade somewhere else like RW.

Byfield/Lafreniere - L. Brown - Batherson
Tkachuk - White - Pinto
Formenton - Norris - C. Brown
Paul - Kastelic - ???

Chabot - Zaitsev/JBD/Thomson
Brannstron/Wolanin - JBD/Thomson
Lajoie - Jaros

Askorov - Sogaard/Daccord
- Hogberg & Gustavsson could also be a backup or even a #1

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
There is a cost of drafting another D or even a goalie. It relegates a past 1RD or 2ND pick to a lower level. We could have used F selections on the Mads or LT pick. Taking another D/G sorta relegates previous picks to 5th DMAN or backup goalies when we still lack a 1C or 1-2RW/LW.

Drafting position of need over best player available is a dicey game. It can be beneficial to an established core like you are suggesting, but I don’t think we have an established core yet - too many what if’s. The irony is what I’m wanting is we do the same to establish an identity.

I want Drysdale period. I seriously don’t care if we take him with our 1st pick. Or if we had to trade up to nab him. We have no team identity - other than we’re a joke who can’t even get butts in the seats. An elite core of defenders in an era of increased scoring sounds like a winning strategy to me.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Doesn't Lassi T project as the 2nd pairing RD ? If you are picking early in 2020 there are great positional options everywhere. I think the Sens can afford to go with their organization need.

The org appears to have recently invested in 4/6 D spots, 4/2 Goalies Spots, and 4+/12 Forward positions. IMO our glaring need is a 1C and a 1-2 RW/LW.

Defense - TC, EB, JBD, and LT. 4 1RD picks still on ELC's (or less)
Goalie - Mads, Gus, Hog, Dac
LW - Brady 1-2LW,
C - Brown 2C - Norris 2-3C
RW - White 2-3RW Bath 2-3RW

It would provide insurance in case those said players don't pan out. I mean, would you pass up on potentially the next Vasilevski in Askarov just because we have a few goalies in the system?

If anything I'm most confident in Soogard, I think his ceiling is Rinne but that wouldn't stop me from taking a superstar net-minder either. A good goalie can make an average team great.

I do agree that we need elite scoring forwards and that's what I would prioritize in the 1st round.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I think avoiding picking a defenceman (especially a RD) because we have Thomson, JBD and Jaros in the system would be a mistake. This is a team that still needs to go BPA at all times, but this is also a team with very little in the way of proven RHD at the NHL level. Of course we've all got high hopes for the guys we've got in the system, but I think it's short sighted to assume all 3 of those guys will slot in nicely at the NHL level. Adding a guy like Drysdale would be a huge boost to the defence overall, but also leaves a bit of room for error if one of the other guys doesn't live up to expectations.

I'm still very much on the side of the argument that thinks we should be adding (multiple) high talent forwards via the draft. But if Drysdale or Barron are BPA's at any given spot I don't think the team should shy away.

Last edited:

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Centres - L. Brown 1C, White 2 or 3C, Norris 2 or 3C & Kastelic 4C - (Byfield 1C)
LW - Tkachuck 2nd line, Formenton 3rd line, Paul 4th line (Byfield/Lafreniere 1st line)
RW - Batherson 1st or 2nd line, Pinto 2nd or 3rd line, C. Brown 3rd line
- unknown if Duclair sticks, unclear if Davidsson RW or Veronneau RW ever make it.

LD - Chabot 1st pair, Brannstrom 2nd pair, Wolanin 2nd pair, Lajoie 3rd pair
RD - Zaitsev 1st or 2nd pair, Thomson 1st or 2nd pair, JBD 1st or 2nd pair, Jaros 3rd pair
- Zaitsev is signed for 5 yrs.
- I'd trade Brannstrom for a young top line RW

Goalies - ??? - unsure which of Ottawa's goalies could be a #1 goalie in the NHL.
- Askorov is forecasted to be a #1 goalie & better than any goalie in Ottawa's system.
- lots of assets in net that could be moved to upgrade somewhere else like RW.

Byfield/Lafreniere - L. Brown - Batherson
Tkachuk - White - Pinto
Formenton - Norris - C. Brown
Paul - Kastelic - ???

Chabot - Zaitsev/JBD/Thomson
Brannstron/Wolanin - JBD/Thomson
Lajoie - Jaros

Askorov - Sogaard/Daccord
- Hogberg & Gustavsson could also be a backup or even a #1

I agree with most of this... except:

Your centres seem a little off. IF we get Byfield he'll be playing C and will likely be our #1 C by December of his first season. Also, I know you like big players but I'd be very reluctant to pencil in Kastelic anywhere but the AHL. I've been to a bunch of Hitmen games over the last few years (admittedly none this year) and there is next to nothing outside of his size that would indicate that Kastelic will ever be an effective NHL player. Maybe he's made strides and will continue to make strides but I'm much more confident in Parker Kelly or Chlapik being our #4C.

No way I'd trade Brannstrom any time soon. He's looked better and better and looks like he'll be good defensively, which fills a role on our D. Only way I'd trade him would be for a player like Kyle Connor from Winnipeg and I don't see any team offering an established young scorer with a good contract for a 20 year old defenseman who hasn't proved he's an impact player in the NHL yet. Value wise I think we're better off rolling with EB. I think he'll end up being more valuable than a 2RW.

Askarov may very well be the next Price but perhaps one of our 4 prospects becomes a Pekka Rinne type goalie. Not a Carey Price level goalie but after all Price hasn't won anything in his career either. Teams with multiple ELITE skaters win just about every year. If we're fortunate enough to pick int he top 10 twice I think we look for players that will put the puck in the net and/or keep pucks away from our net.

But yeah, our depth is there in most areas, we just need some elite players at a few positions.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I think avoiding picking a defenceman (especially a RD) because we have Thomson, JBD and Jaros in the system would be a mistake. This is a team that still needs to go BPA at all times, but this is also a team with very little in the way of proven RHD at the NHL level. Of course we've all got high hopes for the guys we've got in the system, but I think it's short sighted to assume all 3 of those guys will slot in nicely at the NHL level. Adding a guy like Drysdale would be a huge boost to the defence overall, but also leaves a bit of room for error if one of the other guys doesn't live up to expectations.

I'm still very much on the side of the argument that thinks we should be adding (multiple) high talent forwards via the draft. But if Drysdale or Barron are BPA's at any given spot I don't think the team should shy away.
Exactly my thoughts
RHD are so rare
Will always be time to trade one if we have too many

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Agreed. BPA is the way to go but they have to have character, that elusive, unquantifiable trait that tips the scales heavily over pure talent.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019

So you're saying there's a chance!

As you say, hard not to get one or two good players if the Sens and SJS continue on their current trajectory.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I brought up JBD and Thomson not to suggest we don't need Drysdale, but to say we shouldn't be tripping over ourselves in order to target a RHD. I agree with you, take BPA. If it's a RHD, fine, we can trade one should everyone hit their potential. If it's a forward, great we need those too. Askarov is good enough that it may be worth overloading our Goalie depth to get him. There really is no wrong position for us to be drafting imo.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Maxim Groshev could be worth keeping an eye on. He is 6'2 194 lbs RW and he is ranked 82 by future considerations.
He is playing in the KHL this season and in 21 GP he has 0 G 4 A 4 PTS.
Maxim Groshev at eliteprospects.com

He seems like a solid power winger.

Good eye dude. Playing 8:36 a game at 17 (although he's technically 18 this year) in the KHL is nothing to sniffle at.

ventimochatrex

Feb 20, 2019
As of right now we’re picking laf and byfield. Just as I predicted
IF the standings stay the same and we end up with the first two, this is what should be done. No need to get cute when you suck and want to put fans in the arena. there’s still a long way to go before I’ll feel comfortable counting our chickens before they hatch, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad