NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
It is nice to see Stutzle getting more love in this thread and in the mainstream media. I had him at #3 before the various seasons started, and nothing has changed that.

With that being said, a player we should maybe look at is Jan Mysak. I don't see him being talked about much, and Bob Mac had him outside the top 20 in his pre-season rankings. Corsica's model has him at #5. Obviously, a lot can change; however, if he is available around 20-25 (a "realistic" range for the Shark's pick), he should be a guy on our radar. From watching him, he looks like he is a solid skater with good vision and passing ability.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It is nice to see Stutzle getting more love in this thread and in the mainstream media. I had him at #3 before the various seasons started, and nothing has changed that.

With that being said, a player we should maybe look at is Jan Mysak. I don't see him being talked about much, and Bob Mac had him outside the top 20 in his pre-season rankings. Corsica's model has him at #5. Obviously, a lot can change; however, if he is available around 20-25 (a "realistic" range for the Shark's pick), he should be a guy on our radar. From watching him, he looks like he is a solid skater with good vision and passing ability.

I think he's a good prospect 20 plus or minus a couple spots is likely about right at this point. Agree he should be on our radar in that range.

Have not looked into this but Laf at 3 is certainly an eyebrow raiser.
This could also be interesting to track month to month

Last edited:
Reactions: ijif

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO they should take the best goalie prospect since Carey Price with the SJ pick who could be a staple in Ottawa for the next decade or longer to push a future team into cup contention & stay there. While they have a number of good goalies they could be used as assets to acquire other good players & rather than have mediocre goaltending they can finally have great goaltending & since Askorov is already very good he could go directly to Belleville after he is drafted or a yr later. His learning curve IMO would be much shorter than any other goalie this team has ever drafted.

Ottawa needs to do well in this 2020 draft for their future, if they are able to come away with one of Lafreniere or Byfield & Askorov that would be huge for this organization moving back towards respectability. Of course, with this owner & GM that could be wiped out with one interview.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
IMO they should take the best goalie prospect since Carey Price with the SJ pick who could be a staple in Ottawa for the next decade or longer to push a future team into cup contention & stay there. While they have a number of good goalies they could be used as assets to acquire other good players & rather than have mediocre goaltending they can finally have great goaltending & since Askorov is already very good he could go directly to Belleville after he is drafted or a yr later. His learning curve IMO would be much shorter than any other goalie this team has ever drafted.

Ottawa needs to do well in this 2020 draft for their future, if they are able to come away with one of Lafreniere or Byfield & Askorov that would be huge for this organization moving back towards respectability. Of course, with this owner & GM that could be wiped out with one interview.

Maybe Eugene will sit them down and ask them to show him how they will bark at the refs for bad calls

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010

Barring something incredible happening, Askarov will not be available for San Jose's pick. Yes, San Jose has been bad so far, maybe they arent a contender anymore, but I can't imagine them staying this bad.

Askarov will almost certainly go somewhere between 5-10, and most likely closer to five.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Barring something incredible happening, Askarov will not be available for San Jose's pick. Yes, San Jose has been bad so far, maybe they arent a contender anymore, but I can't imagine them staying this bad.

Askarov will almost certainly go somewhere between 5-10, and most likely closer to five.
In both cases we have no idea, first where SJ will end up or where Askorov could go. He could drop too, if teams like so many on here are too afraid to take a goalie too early. Ottawa also has the assets (draft picks) to move up with the SJ pick, if needed.

I'm not that high on SJ either, while they still have some great players, some of their players are getting older & with age comes injuries. IMO they have some questions regarding their ability to even make the playoffs & it's extremely unlikely they can win a cup given their roster. We'll see.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010

Yeah actually you were the one who first turned me onto just how good Stützle might be. Started following him from the start of the season and it became quickly obvious you were right.

Pretty unreal how bad people are still sleeping on Mysak.

Reactions: ijif

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
In both cases we have no idea, first where SJ will end up or where Askorov could go. He could drop too, if teams like so many on here are too afraid to take a goalie too early. Ottawa also has the assets (draft picks) to move up with the SJ pick, if needed.

I'm not that high on SJ either, while they still have some great players, some of their players are getting older & with age comes injuries. IMO they have some questions regarding their ability to even make the playoffs & it's extremely unlikely they can win a cup given their roster. We'll see.

"No idea" is a stretch. Of course you're right that a lot can change between now and then, but right now we know the odds are very unlikely that the Sharks will pick top ten, or that Askarov will fall out of the top ten, so we can safely estimate that the Sens will not pick Askarov with the Sharks pick, unless we use it to trade up.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
"No idea" is a stretch. Of course you're right that a lot can change between now and then, but right now we know the odds are very unlikely that the Sharks will pick top ten, or that Askarov will fall out of the top ten, so we can safely estimate that the Sens will not pick Askarov with the Sharks pick, unless we use it to trade up.

I think that the odds of SJ's pick being top 10 at the start of the season were kind of low.

At this point, we can consider Vegas a lock. Calgary is expected to be top 3 and all of Edmonton, Vancouver and Arizona seem improved.

SJ is in trouble. Their goaltending isnt stellar. EK doesn't look good. Vlasic doesn't look good. I would not be surprised at all to see them miss and obviously will be thrilled if they do

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
I think that the odds of SJ's pick being top 10 at the start of the season were kind of low.

At this point, we can consider Vegas a lock. Calgary is expected to be top 3 and all of Edmonton, Vancouver and Arizona seem improved.

SJ is in trouble. Their goaltending isnt stellar. EK doesn't look good. Vlasic doesn't look good. I would not be surprised at all to see them miss and obviously will be thrilled if they do

Well, we're only twelve games in, I'm not sure how much you can say has changed from the start of the season.

The one thing we knew going into the season about the Sharks is that there would be a lot of uncertainty. As you mentioned, some of their best players are getting past their primes, their depth is weak, and two of their best players are injury prone. And as you so charitably put it, their goaltending isn't stellar - lol, Jonathan Quick is obviously the worst clear starting goalie in the league, but Martin Jones must be the number one contender.

All that said, you still wouldn't bet money on San Jose finishing bottom ten, is pretty much my point.

Last edited:

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Well, we're only twelve games in, I'm not sure how much you can say has changed from the start of the season.

The one thing we knew going into the season about the Sharks is that there would be a lot of uncertainty. As you mentioned, some of their best players are getting past their primes, their depth is weak, and two of their best players are injury prone. And as you so charitably put it, their goaltending isn't stellar - lol, Jonathan Quick is obviously the worst clear starting goalie in the league, buy Martin Jones must be the number one contender.

All that said, you still wouldn't bet money on San Jose finishing bottom ten, is pretty much my point.

Ya the kings need to do something they are outshooting the competition 37-28. That’s crazy good, they should be winning.
If getting whooped by the sens doesn’t light a fire under the Sharks they could be in serious trouble this year.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011

I was all for knight last year but with D'accord, mandolese, sogaard, hogberg amd gustavsson I'm not so sure.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Agreed & that is kind of what I was getting at that IF they wanted to acquire a potential Carey Price caliber goaltender then they might have to trade up to get him. Of course, you can only trade up if you find a partner willing to take what you are offering which might be difficult for a franchise goalie, what team wouldn't want to draft the next Price? Ottawa has the assets, but getting ahead of a team who also wants him could be the biggest hurdle.

I was all for knight last year but with D'accord, mandolese, sogaard, hogberg amd gustavsson I'm not so sure.

I'm on the record saying that IMO, which means next to nothing, I believe that Askorov will be a better goaltender than any goaltender Ottawa has in their system. And I also said that IMO again, I believe that Askorov will be a better goalie than Knight which is why I didn't want them to draft Knight last yr or Sogaard for that matter because I wanted Askorov this yr.

But honestly it's really just a guess based on what I have seen of him, where he is ranked in a supposedly great draft & what I've read about him from numerous sources on the Internet. Could everyone be wrong about the guy? Sure, but they could also be right & he could be a franchise goalie for yrs for this team until he demands too much money & then we are screwed again.

Ser Grogu

Dank farrik
Aug 6, 2009
Boston is destroying the Sharks right now :)
7Pgdo8A.jpg

I feel a little bad for EK though

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
7Pgdo8A.jpg

I feel a little bad for EK though

Meh doesnt bother me one bit. We’ve been the punching bag of other franchise for so long... I have friends who are Sharks fans (mind you they don’t know much about hockey) and they were laughing about all the terrible deals with had with them. Now enjoy karlsson, sink to the bottom and thank you for the pick

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
You would think that if St. Louis could turn it around and go on a hot streak and make the playoffs that San Jose could, but I really doubt that unless DeBoer goes. I don't even know if 16-17 Karlsson would be able to turn this ship around with how terribly they play offense.

GoSenatorsGo

Nov 9, 2007
In my opinion if San Jose gets a new coach and some decent goaltending, they will bounce right back but until they do both it ain’t going to be pretty for them.

Salva Mea

Apr 4, 2018
playoff spots - west

colo-predators-vancouver- blus- vegas .. locked.. ( colo lost lande-ranta but i think its nothing, )

3 spot arizona(maybe arizona also locked ) -calgary-oilers

left dalas-jets and jose.. ( in this group most chance have dalas stars)

no way, ducks , blackhawks-wild and kings..

maan, really big chance jose out of 8....

its will be miracle for us.. :)

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Man, if we get any of those guys in the top 5 + another guy in the top 15, things are looking really nice for us. Like, if our worst case scenario can be Lundell + Rossi...

Tkachuk - Brown - White
Rossi - Lundell - Batherson
Formenton - Norris - Pinto
Balcers- Pageau - C. Brown
(Duclair, Tierney, Paul, Chlapik, Davidsson, Abramov, Beaudin)

Chabot - JBD
Brannstrom - Jaros
Wolanin - Thomson
(Lajoie, DeMelo, Alsing, Tychonick)

…nice.

And yes, I'm getting way ahead of myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad