NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's too early for a thread imo. The Sharks are one 6 game win streak away from being on pace for 110 pts. They had 3 such streaks last year. They also had a 7 game losing streak that year. Hockey is a game of streaks, no team plays 82 games of consistently elite hockey or consistently terrible (well... relative to the talent on their roster anyways)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Screw them.

We lost out on prime Marleau because Redden refused to waive
They stole Havlat for nothing from us
They took Heatley for nothing
They screwed us over on the Hoffman deal
They potentially bent us over for Karlsson

I personally just don’t like their GM who’s a slimy used car salesmen

I hope they finish dead last.

Just a few things :

1)
Chicago Blackhawks acquireDateOttawa Senators acquire
Chicago_Blackhawks.gif
Martin Havlat
Bryan Smolinski
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
July 9, 2006
Michal Barinka
Josh Hennessy
Tom Preissing
2008 2nd round pick (#42-Patrick Wiercioch)
Ottawa_Senators.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
SJ didn't get Havlat from Ottawa. It was another bad Muckler move though

2) Michalek + 2nd >>>> Heatley : not sure how can anyone still don't see it but Michalek was a good player for Ottawa for years; younger, faster, cheaper and better overall. Sure Heatley still looked like he was an offensive weapon at first but quickly faded away to become a MASSIVE burden 2 years later. He was paid 7.5 per season 10 years ago (which would be 10+ now), he was paid like a superstar but in his 2nd year with SJ, you could clearly see the fast decline so they traded him right away. Meanwhile, Michalek scored 115 goals/224 points for the Sens and was a steady contributor in 412 NHL games, and at almost half of the price. When the Sens got him, Michalek was looking like a young Tarasenko and only a lot of injuries slowed him down. Don't know how can anyone say "for nothing"

3) I love EK but it looks more and more like Ottawa will get the better end of the deal by a significant margin. Unfortunately, don't think EK will ever be in Norris form again, just too many significant injuries. Norris, Balcers, Sharks 1st in 2020, Sharks 2nd in 2020, Panthers 2nd in 2019 (result : Sogaard), and even DeMelo/Tierney who are decent youngish support players. I love EK and he should have been a Sens for life no matter what, but this trade could pay off big time for Ottawa

Last edited:

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Screw them.

We lost out on prime Marleau because Redden refused to waive
They stole Havlat for nothing from us
They took Heatley for nothing
They screwed us over on the Hoffman deal
They potentially bent us over for Karlsson

I personally just don’t like their GM who’s a slimy used car salesmen

I hope they finish dead last.
first time I'm ever hearing about this. interesting.

Reactions: DJB

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Bad karma.

I say no Sharks watch thread. Ignore it and our dreams will come true!!!

^This.

Besides, look at Avs fans last year. They were penciling Hughes into their lineup for months. Expecting it. Demanding it. Laughing about it....until they ended up fourth.

I'd rather ignore the SJ pick and be pleasantly surprised at the draft, then to spent 9 months giddy over getting a haul, only to lose it.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
2020 Draft Selection:

1st rd pick - Quintin Byfield C/LW or Alexis Lafreniere C/LW
1st rd pick - Yaroslav Askorov G or Alexander Holtz RW
2nd rd pick - Jan Cikhart LW or Dylan Holloway LW
2nd rd pick - Ryan O'Rourke LD or Willie Cuylie LW
2nd rd pick - Brandon Coe RW or

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Just a few things :
3) I love EK but it looks more and more like Ottawa will get the better end of the deal by a significant margin. Unfortunately, don't think EK will ever be in Norris again, just too many significant injuries. Norris, Balcers, Sharks 1st in 2020, Sharks 2nd in 2020, Panthers 2nd in 2019 (result : Sogaard), and even DeMelo/Tierney who are decent youngish support players. I love EK and he should have been a Sens for life no matter what, but this trade could pay off big time for Ottawa

There is still hope for the Ottawa side of the deal, but the fact is it depends almost entirely on how the draft picks turn out. Karlsson was a home-run pick, we would really need another one of those to balance it out, and that will be seen quite a ways in the future. Generally speaking I'm not disagreeing though, just that there's a lot of question marks still in play

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
2020 Draft Selection:

1st rd pick - Quintin Byfield C/LW or Alexis Lafreniere C/LW
1st rd pick - Yaroslav Askorov G or Alexander Holtz RW
2nd rd pick - Jan Cikhart LW or Dylan Holloway LW
2nd rd pick - Ryan O'Rourke LD or Willie Cuylie LW
2nd rd pick - Brandon Coe RW or
The only way they get Holtz or Askarov is if they are moving at least 2 of those 2nds.

Reactions: aragorn

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
There is still hope for the Ottawa side of the deal, but the fact is it depends almost entirely on how the draft picks turn out. Karlsson was a home-run pick, we would really need another one of those to balance it out, and that will be seen quite a ways in the future. Generally speaking I'm not disagreeing though, just that there's a lot of question marks still in play

If SJ tried to trade him now, I don't think they get the equivalent of Demelo, CT, Balcers, Norris, and 2020 first. At this point they would probably be lucky to get a 2020 1st or a Brannstrom/Norris type prospect.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If SJ tried to trade him now, I don't think they get the equivalent of Demelo, CT, Balcers, Norris, and 2020 first. At this point they would probably be lucky to get a 2020 1st or a Brannstrom/Norris type prospect.
Lol what, none of the assets they gave up have any real value outside of the 1st and Tierney. Maybe Norris but he is really not the player some people seem to think he is. Never showed top 6 production or skill. He isnt close to Brannstrom and yes Karlsson would get a way better return. Karlsson had 49 points in 53 games last year then close to a ppg in the playoffs and now he is locked up long term. He 100 percent absolutely gets more back in a deal. What is with people around here and cutting down players after they leave.

Dorion has shown the worst asset management of any GM in hockey I dont know how anyone see's the work he has done and thinks he would maximize any asset better than other general managers.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Lol what, none of the assets they gave up have any real value outside of the 1st and Tierney. Norris is really not the player some people seem to think he is. Never showed top 6 production or skill. He isnt close to Brannstrom and yes Karlsson would get a way better return. He had 49 points in 53 games last year then close to a ppg in the playoffs and now he is locked up long term. He 100 percent absolutely gets more back in a deal. What is with people around here and cutting down players after they leave.

Dorion has shown the worst asset management of any GM in hockey I dont know how anyone see's the work he has done and thinks he would maximize any asset better than other general managers.

Ya. I disagree with your eval on Norris, the gap between Norris and EB, and EK's current market value. Regardless of your opinion there are many that believe that trade is trending in the Sens favour.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ya. I disagree with your eval on Norris, the gap between Norris and EB, and EK's current market value. Regardless of your opinion there are many that believe that trade is trending in the Sens favour.
Its funny how you are always coming after White but think Norris is an elite prospect. White more than doubled Norris's production at college and the wjc. Just no logic behind this.

Are you arguing that a UFA has more value than a signed player?

No one thinks the sens won that deal not a single person outside of a few sens fans. The only way they come close is if they massively hit on the 2020 pick.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Its funny how you are always coming after White but think Norris is an elite prospect. White more than doubled Norris's production at college and the wjc. Just no logic behind this.

Are you arguing that a UFA has more value than a signed player?

No one thinks the sens won that deal not a single person outside of a few sens fans. The only way they come close is if they massively hit on the 2020 pick.

I didn't say Norris is an elite prospect ? Not sure where you got that from? Norris' injury makes him difficult to evaluate. I like White, I just don't think he has developed into an effective player yet. By that I mean I don't think his play is strong enough to be in the top 6 on a SC contender. I hope it develops into that. I like Brown a lot, but I don't think his current play is that of a top 6 contender either yet. Everyone gets all defensive if I suggest White is "OK/not great" but we have no problem recognizing more development has to occur with Brann, Brown etc.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I didn't say Norris is an elite prospect ? Not sure where you got that from? Norris' injury makes him difficult to evaluate. I like White, I just don't think he has developed into an effective player yet. By that I mean I don't think his play is strong enough to be in the top 6 on a SC contender. I hope it develops into that. I like Brown a lot, but I don't think his current play is that of a top 6 contender either yet. Everyone gets all defensive if I suggest White is "OK/not great" but we have no problem recognizing more development has to occur with Brann, Brown etc.
You compared Norris to Brannstrom right in this thread. Thats where i got that from.... You also said you think the sens won the Karlsson deal. Karlsson is a generational level talent. For the sens to have won the deal would Norris not need to be elite....

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

Whatever Karlsson's value now compared to when we traded him (keeping in mind one would think his value then was higher than what we got), how we come out of this trade still hinges primarily on what kind of player we get from that draft pick, in my opinion. Karlsson was a franchise player. Is he still? I don't know and if he isn't any longer it doesn't really change the trade in my eyes.

Stone we unfortunately basically have no chance of recouping on, that ripped my heart right out

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Whatever Karlsson's value now compared to when we traded him (keeping in mind one would think his value then was higher than what we got), how we come out of this trade still hinges primarily on what kind of player we get from that draft pick, in my opinion. Karlsson was a franchise player. Is he still? I don't know and if he isn't any longer it doesn't really change the trade in my eyes.

Stone we unfortunately basically have no chance of recouping on, that ripped my heart right out

Your point about the 2020 pick is obvious. That pick could be a Norris/White/Bowers type player or a top 4 pick. If that picks ends up as Byfield that trade swings pretty heavy our way. Even a Rossi type picks changes it drastically. It could also be a glorified 2RD pick.

Winnipeg lost Trouba for nothing, Islanders lost JT for nothing, the jackets lost Breadman for nothing ... UFA is sooner and I think many fans haven't caught up to the fact that more elite players at younger ages will be switching teams. In retrospect we got good value (vs nothing) for Stone, MD, and EK when you compare it to Breadman, Trouba, Jt, JVR, Gardiner, etc. etc.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Your point about the 2020 pick is obvious. That pick could be a Norris/White/Bowers type player or a top 4 pick. If that picks ends up as Byfield that trade swings pretty heavy our way. Even a Rossi type picks changes it drastically. It could also be a glorified 2RD pick.

Winnipeg lost Trouba for nothing, Islanders lost JT for nothing, the jackets lost Breadman for nothing ... UFA is sooner and I think many fans haven't caught up to the fact that more elite players at younger ages will be switching teams. In retrospect we got good value (vs nothing) for Stone, MD, and EK when you compare it to Breadman, Trouba, Jt, JVR, Gardiner, etc. etc.

It's pretty absurd to compare a team dead last in the standings and a team that is in the playoff hunt choosing whether or not to risk losing pending UFA for nothing or trade them at the deadline. Apples vs oranges here. The goal of the league isn't to maximize returns on assets, it's to win, Toronto, Winnepeg, Clb, and even the NYI had weigh the pros and cons, there was a benefit to keeping those guys around for the extra 20ish days + playoffs, we did not, our fate was sealed and no benefit would come from us keeping them around once it was clear we couldn't re-sign them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad