NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Anybody I should be keeping an eye on from the Steelheads tomorrow in Ottawa?

I don't know much about their roster but you can find out the draft eligibles here:
Mississauga Steelheads at eliteprospects.com

In briefly skimming it over two players that had good stats earlier in their career and have had a good start to the season are:
#88 on D Ole Bjorgvik Holm (6'3, 201 lbs) and #14 on LW James Hardie (5'11, 161 lbs)

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Thomas Harley if you want to think about the "what if" scenario of him being on the board for the Sens last year.

James Hardie if you're looking at draft eligible guys for 2020. He's an offensive winger with decent size and some flair.
Hardie was pretty noticeable tonight. Real nice goal despite the terrible PK coverage by the 67s.

Rossi looked strong tonight as well. Dude oozes that hockey IQ. Definitely a pass first guy, head up at all times.

I liked Teddy Sawyer a lot. Not eligible this year but he scored a beauty in his first game. Definitely a guy I'll be keeping my eyes on.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
lol are you arrogant in every one of your replies? I watch all of their games with game center live, Karlsson is my favorite player. im a hockey nerd and you on the internet come to the conclusion that because we have a different opinion I dont know their players? They look like us with Karlsson, Stone Duchene and co.

Who am I missing? Yurtakin who came over from the KHL where he had under average stats? Gambrell? Bergmann who had garb stats everywhere from USHL or in the german league? Goodrow with his career high 16 pts? Feraro who had average stats at UMass with a 14pts and +6 rating? Tell me what am I missing? Suomela? Chmelevski? Come on sir, if we’re talking about this year that depth isnt special. They have decent prospects, nothing crazy aside from Merkley... Blichfield ? Chekhovich isnt bad saw him in the Q. Dell in nets? Jones? Lol

i see them battling for the playoffs, they arent a contender at all. Reality is they prolly wont be a top 5 pick but one can hope

Agree to disagree now get off your high horse

If you are such a hockey nerd did you not watch the playoffs last season?

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
lol are you arrogant in every one of your replies? I watch all of their games with game center live, Karlsson is my favorite player. im a hockey nerd and you on the internet come to the conclusion that because we have a different opinion I dont know their players? They look like us with Karlsson, Stone Duchene and co.

Who am I missing? Yurtakin who came over from the KHL where he had under average stats? Gambrell? Bergmann who had garb stats everywhere from USHL or in the german league? Goodrow with his career high 16 pts? Feraro who had average stats at UMass with a 14pts and +6 rating? Tell me what am I missing? Suomela? Chmelevski? Come on sir, if we’re talking about this year that depth isnt special. They have decent prospects, nothing crazy aside from Merkley... Blichfield ? Chekhovich isnt bad saw him in the Q. Dell in nets? Jones? Lol

i see them battling for the playoffs, they arent a contender at all. Reality is they prolly wont be a top 5 pick but one can hope

Agree to disagree now get off your high horse

I actually think the Sharks could still be contenders, but I could just as easily see them miss the playoffs. They lost Pavelski, and we shouldn't underestimate what a vital piece he was for them. Thornton is getting too old to be a difference-maker. Burns and Vlasic are getting older, and while I don't expect a sudden huge dropoff from either, they may start to wear down later in the season.

But on the other hand, Hertl and Meier made huge strides last year, and I believe Meier could still have another gear. Kane and Couture have been itching to take on bigger roles for years now. Gambrell is a really solid, fully NHL-ready prospect who is more than ready for a third line role. With Kane, Couture, Meier, Hertl, LaBanc and then one of Marleau or Sorensen, their top six forwards are still in the upper half or even top ten in the league. And then of course they have two of the best defensemen in the league. The defensive depth falls off after Vlasic, but with those top two playing 26 mins a night, it's not a fatal problem.

The biggest weakness is in net, where Jones is the worst uncontested starting goalie in the league.

Overall, I'd say despite the lack of depth, they are still one of the better teams in the West if they are healthy. There is room for hope for Sens fans though, as because they are so top heavy, a couple of long-term injuries to key players could completely unravel them, and we know how injury-prone Karlsson and Kane are.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It would be so demoralizing not to get the 1st or 2nd overall pick.

If there's ever been a team who deserves that boost, it's us. I know that will come off as self absorbed, but name me a team that has gone through as rough of a 24 months as we have?

Dingleberry

Jun 18, 2019

If there's ever been a team who deserves that boost, it's us. I know that will come off as self absorbed, but name me a team that has gone through as rough of a 24 months as we have?

Lottery doesn't care. Odds are Lafreniere and Byfield are not coming here, so no point in following and analyzing their every game for months only to see them go to other teams.

Reactions: Cosmix and Que

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
If you are such a hockey nerd did you not watch the playoffs last season?
I did, and they were blessed with an incredibly stupid call, aside from that they did play some good hockey but I dont see them doing that again. Their defense gives up so many grade A chances and they have bad goaltending. Also @ Innocent, I dont see Kane as more than he is atm. I dont see Gambrell as a huge impact player. I dont see them as a top 10 top 6 in the league at all. Labanc needs to pick it up again and even then.... I respect your opinion tho. We’ll see I guess.

Reactions: coladin

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

It would be, but we are fortunate that the high-end of this draft is so impressive.

I'd compare it to 2015. Even if you missed out on McDavid and Eichel there was Strome, Marner, Hanifin, Rantanen, Provorov and Werenski available.

Assuming we finish last, we're still going to get a potential star even if we get bumped out of a top 3 pick in the lottery.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Stats update categorized by CSS rankings.

A-Rating-1st Round Candidate

Rodion Amirov LW 6' 167 lbs MHL 1 GP 0 G 2 A 2 PTS

Quinton Byfield C 6'4 215 lbs OHL 8 GP 7 G 11 A 18 PTS

Jamie Drysdale D 5'11 175 lbs OHL 8 GP 2 G 9 A 11 PTS

Jean-Luc Foudy C 5'11.5 174 lbs OHL 8 GP 3 G 1 A 4 PTS

Dylan Holloway C 6'.05 192 lbs NCAA 1 GP 0 G 0 A 0 PTS

Alexander Holtz RW 5'11.5 192 lbs SHL 8 GP 3 G 1 A 4 PTS

Alexis Lafreniere LW 6'1 196 lbs QMJHL 9 GP 8 G 15 A 23 PTS

Hendrx Lapierre C 5'11.5 179 lbs QMJHL 8 GP 0 G 9 A 9 PTS

Cole Perfetti C 5'10.25 177 lbs OHL 9 GP 1 G 10 A 11 PTS

Lucas Eaymond LW 5'11 170 lbs SHL 10 GP 1 G 2 A 3 PTS

Marco Rossi C 5'8.75 183 lbs OHL 3 GP 2 G 4 A 6 PTS

Justin Sourdif RW 5'10.75 173 lbs WHL 10 GP 6 G 6 A 12 PTS

Antonio Stranges LW 5'10.5 172 lbs OHL 6 GP 5 G 4 A 9 PTS

Tim Stuetzle LW 6'1 185 lbs DEL 9 GP 2 G 6 A 8 PTS

B-Rating-2nd/3rd Round Candidate

Maxim Beryozkin C 6'2 201 lbs MHL 8 GP 4 G 8 A 12 PTS

Cross Hanas LW 6'0.75 167 lbs WHL 8 GP 3 G 4 A 7 PTS

Jake Neighbours LW 5'11.5 197 lbs WHL 9 GP 2 G 6 A 8 PTS

John-Jason Peterka LW 5'10 181 lbs DEL 10 GP 3 A 1 A 4 PTS

Dylan Peterson C 6'3.75 192 lbs USDP 6 GP 1 G 2 A 3 PTS

Jaromir Pytlik C 6'2.25 201 lbs OHL 7 GP 3 G 9 A 12 PTS

Carsen Richaels LW 6'2.5 223 lbs UMHSEHL Season has not started

Carter Savoie LW 5'9 192 lbs AJHL 11 GP 16 G 11 A 27 PTS

Luke Tuch LW 6'1.5 203 lbs USDP 6 GP 4 G 4 A 8 PTS

Conor Zary C 6'o.25 177 lbs WHL 8 GP 4 G 7 A 11 PTS

C-Rating-4th/5th/6th Round Candidate

Andrei Bakanov LW 6'2.25 219 lbs OHL 6 GP 2 G 2 A 4 PTS

Brendan Brisson C 5'11.75 177 lbs USHL 4 GP 1 G 1 A 2 PTS

Michal Gut C 5'11.75 187 lbs WHL 5 GP 1 G 4 A 5 PTS

Stephen Halliday LW 6'3.5 212 lbs USHL 3 GP 0 G 1 A 1 PTS

Jan Mysak C 5'10.5 180 lbs CZECH 7 GP 1 A 1 A 2 PTS

Adam Raska RW 5'10.25 178 lbs QMJHL 5 GP 2 G 1 A 3 PTS

Not Ranked (Including Overagers)

Yegor Sokolov RW 6'4 240 lbs QMJHL 8 GP 8 G 8 A 16 PTS

Tag Bertuzzi C 6'1 198 lbs OHL 8 GP 2 G 2 A 4 PTS

Ivan Manin F 6'1 198 lbs MHL 14 GP 6 G 5 A 11 PTS

Logan Barlage C 6'4 201 lbs WHL 5 GP 1 G 1 A 2 PTS

Xavier Simoneau C 5'7 176 lbs QMJHL 8 GP 3 G 6 A 9 PTS

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Hardie was pretty noticeable tonight. Real nice goal despite the terrible PK coverage by the 67s.

Rossi looked strong tonight as well. Dude oozes that hockey IQ. Definitely a pass first guy, head up at all times.

I liked Teddy Sawyer a lot. Not eligible this year but he scored a beauty in his first game. Definitely a guy I'll be keeping my eyes on.

I ended up going as well. Hardie was as advertised, imo. Nice little goal and (to me) he seemed like the most noticeable forward out there by a mile. Thomas Harley is a hell of a skater, but I left less than impressed with his overall game (especially considering the pre-season hype coming out fo Stars camp).

Rossi is, as you say, noticeable on every single shift. He was clearly the most talented player on the ice. He's going to be an impact player at any level, imo. He's got that Datsyuk-esque shiftiness to his game. I noticed Sawyer as well, and didn't realize he wasn't even draft eligible yet. He could end up being a heck of a players since he was likely the 2nd best 67's defenceman out there despite his age. I keep waiting to go to a game one of these days and be floored by Tolnai. He always seems so skilled in warm-up or in short spurts during games, but more often than not he's just kind of floating around out there.

I wish I had more of a scouting report from this one, but the toonie beers hit me pretty hard halfway through the 2nd :laugh:

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
As of today Ottawa would select 4th and 5th a Left shot Center and a right shot LW (ISS rankings):

4th
4Lundell, Anton10/3/2001HIFK HelsinkiFinECL6.01183
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

5th
5Holtz, Alexander1/23/2002DjurgardensSweELWR6.00183
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Cosmix

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I ended up going as well. Hardie was as advertised, imo. Nice little goal and (to me) he seemed like the most noticeable forward out there by a mile. Thomas Harley is a hell of a skater, but I left less than impressed with his overall game (especially considering the pre-season hype coming out fo Stars camp).

Rossi is, as you say, noticeable on every single shift. He was clearly the most talented player on the ice. He's going to be an impact player at any level, imo. He's got that Datsyuk-esque shiftiness to his game. I noticed Sawyer as well, and didn't realize he wasn't even draft eligible yet. He could end up being a heck of a players since he was likely the 2nd best 67's defenceman out there despite his age. I keep waiting to go to a game one of these days and be floored by Tolnai. He always seems so skilled in warm-up or in short spurts during games, but more often than not he's just kind of floating around out there.

I wish I had more of a scouting report from this one, but the toonie beers hit me pretty hard halfway through the 2nd :laugh:

Quinn is a draft eligible this year, I think he has alot of game to grow into he is a late bloomer physically and has shown elite hockey sense and skill. Would be a good player for the sens to take a flyer on in the 3rd or 4th round. I think he breaks out big time next year.

Reactions: Sen sational

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

The fans deserve it.

The team not so much.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Quinn is a draft eligible this year, I think he has alot of game to grow into he is a late bloomer physically and has shown elite hockey sense and skill. Would be a good player for the sens to take a flyer on in the 3rd or 4th round. I think he breaks out big time next year.
Great kid, good family, no character issues.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
We probably end up with two 1sts and four 2nds (maybe five) in this draft.

Which means we can easily have two top 15 picks if we use those extra picks to move up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->